"biological biz" Please help

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum "biological biz" Please help

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Hamish 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Veronika

Hi all,
    could you please help me understand one line from the “Kryten” epizode? English is not my mother tongue and I am lost here.
    “You look like Clive of India! Or the one whose mum does use new biological biz!” I know who Clive of India was, but who is the other one? And what is meant by “biological biz”? It’s supposed to be hilarious and I’m not laughing :-(
    Thanks a lot!

Ridley

It’s a reference to washing powder comparison adverts, such as this where the promoted brand, like Daz, cleans your whites better than an unnamed competing brand. They often demonstrate using a child’s clothes and a mother relieved that she can get the stains out.

—-

Also, there’s a YouTube channel that archives washing powder adverts.

Ridley

Veronika

Ah yes, the whiteness of his uniform! The commercials haven’t changed that much since then.
    Thanks!

International Debris

Could anyone do a thread like this, but for several jokes in every single episode of Seinfeld?

Plastic Percy

It took me years to realise that Lister’s geography teacher wasn’t shagging a robot of Ganymede.

Lord Flashheart

Plastic Percy – You are not the only one on that front

John Hoare

G&T Admin

Now I think about it, vibrator jokes are quite atypical for Dwarf, aren’t they?

Hamish

For me as a kid it was a joke from Hitchhiker’s Guide that threw me, the one where Ford says that going through Hyperspace is “unpleasantly like being drunk”, and when Arthur questions this, Ford says “Ask a glass of water.”

I thought it had something to do with a glass of water not being alcoholic, and perhaps having a rivalry with drinks that are, rather than twigging the wordplay. In fairness I was about six when I first heard it.

MANI506

I literally just got that Hitch Hikers glass of water joke this year 25 years after I first heard it

Seb Patrick

Oh man, that’s one of the most beautiful jokes ever written, too.

Dave Wallace

The one gag it took me absolutely years to get was the Brasseye one about it being “not so much the nineties as the yardanketies”.

I think I actually had to see someone explain in writing what the “yardanketies” were for the penny to drop.

Plastic Percy

I’ve only just got it now. Thought it was something to do with the relative benefits of drinking a glass of water compared to the intoxicating, dehydrating qualities of an alcoholic beverage.

Darrell

Took me years for the penny to drop with “nein-ties/ja-danke-ties” as well, I wouldn’t worry.

Hamish

You mean I’m not alone?

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.