Bodysnatcher – Region 4

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Bodysnatcher – Region 4

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  flanl3 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

CaptainPlatini

Hi there chaps,

I have been for years on the hunt for the bodysnatcher box set, yet i feel like £55 second hand is a bit of a piss take.

Yet the region 4 copy seems about as common as a Smeg Ups VHS in a charity shop!

Now a little birdie tells me that most BBC DVDs are dual coded to save production costs (i.e: they are both Region 2 and Region 4 encoded).

If anyone who has got the Region 4 copy knows this to be true could they please let me know.

Ben Paddon

I’d heard much the same, but don’t have experience enough to verify. Amazon Australia might be worth checking, they’ll list all the region codes in the product overview.

Darrell

It was £50 at the time to be fair, way too much. There was a possibly erroneous pre-order deal through Woolworths where it was £25 but they didn’t honour every order. It never really went ‘cheap’, ever. I got mine in 2010 for a tenner on massive staff discount when I worked in a DVD shop – it was from the huge shipment seized from Sony DADC after the Woolworths/2|entertain collapse, which is most commonly believed to have been burnt in the 2011 fire but was actually seized and auctioned for a pittance to the MBL distribution group, who both owned and supplied to our shop. Got Just The Smegs for a quid as well from the same haul, plus a few dozen other things, mostly for stupid prices like 32p.

Can I say in my defence that at the time I didn’t know the depressing backstory of these giant pallets of BBC DVDs that were stored in our warehouse under the shop, nestled in the hidden underground streets under the Arndale. (It’s very Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles down there.) But yeah, I thought it was a more legit arrangement than ‘stolen by bailiffs’.

Darrell

Oh, and there actually isn’t an Amazon Australia. They’re very resistant to monopolisation. There is an Amazon operating there but it’s solely a Kindle ebook store.

The main online DVD shop there is EzyDVD.

Ben Paddon

Which Arndale, out of curiosity?

crunch

I have a copy of the Region 4 Bodysnatcher collection. Here’s the output from VLC on a Linux computer for one of the disks:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
    libdvdnav: DVD Title: BBCDVD2346
    libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 375258ea
    libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
    libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f50000. Regions: 2 4

The DVD Title seems to match the Region 2 release found on a quick internet search, and as can be seen it claims to be both Region 2 and Region 4.

Hope this helps!

Darrell

There we go.

(Oh, and it was the Manchester Arndale, Ben. That shop’s long gone if you’re wondering, though it’s laid empty for years. I deserted retail before it had the chance to desert me.)

Ben Paddon

Ah. Thought it might’ve been the Luton one, though it’s just The Mall now.

Lily

I’ve been trying to get hold of Bodysnatcher for years and only just this week managed to find a UK copy on ebay for a reasonable price. If you set up an alert for UK only sales it filters out all the Aussy versions.

It seemed expensive at the time for a boxset of episodes I technically already had, but now I do wish I’d got it back then.

Darrell

Speaking of BBC DVDs that disappeared into price-inflated obscurity at the turn of the decade, I just managed to get hold of Mine All Mine at long last. Lots of rare discs seem to be falling in value so it’s a good time to mooch for what you thought you’d missed out on.

si

I’ve got Mine All Mine, a cracking series.

Darrell

I’ve had a ‘dodgy’ version for so long I’d lost hope. It was the only ‘main’ RTD thing I didn’t have.

Such an important release as well as the broadcast was butchered and it’s never been repeated even in compromised form.

si

It was the only ‘main’ RTD thing I didn’t have.

I’ve still never seen Bob & Rose or The Second Coming. And I’ve still got half of Cucumber sitting unwatched on the Sky+.

International Debris

I’d put it in the fridge, it won’t go off as quickly.

Darrell

Cucumber is superb, but something happens in one of the later episodes that hammer-blew me to the extent that even despite buying the DVD I will find it difficult to ever rewatch.

Bob & Rose and Second Coming are both great, and available for next to nothing these days.

Seb Patrick

Yeah, Cucumber is not necessarily a cheery rewatch but that episode you’re talking about is one of the best things on TV in a very long time.

flanl3

Cucumber is an alright actor, but I think people fancy him more than he deserves.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.