Do you do the whole introduce yourself thing?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Do you do the whole introduce yourself thing?

This topic contains 112 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Rival Schools 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 113 posts - 1 through 113 (of 113 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

SarahWho

some places do and some don’t, so, like, just curious I guess :p

KyoSo

I don’t see why you can’t. We just tend to dick around amongst ourselves, derailing threads to make puns for several weeks at a time until we eventually learn each other’s names.

SarahWho

lol, well, in that case I’m Sarah. I’m older than I look so I’ve been watching Red Dwarf since the 90s but, like, mostly on video back then (the first series I saw on TV was series 5 which will always be my favourite, there are just too many great episodes in 5). I’m a massive Whovian if youre into labels on fandom, too. Just got through with a post grad in creative writing. I do a bit of modelling too.

That’s me ^^

Phil

I’m Ridley, and I’m the best…

…at being a big jerk who’s stupid and my big ugly face is as dumb as a butt!

SarahWho

Um, okay…

Forget to say above but I did do a kinda Pree inspired shoot once, but never did get around to finishing them.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

I’m Jason and I like it when they say “smeg”.

SarahWho

Why do you all sound like 14 year old boys all of a sudden…?! O_O

Jimboid

> I did do a kinda Pree inspired shoot once, but never did get around to finishing them.

If they were down, you could have just stamped on their head.

SarahWho

???

Better Dead Than Smeg

It’s okay — I have no idea what they’re talking about either.
    You’re a writer? In that case, ‘step into my office’. Are you published?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

oh god please stop

SarahWho

Stop…?

Dave

“Would you like a wormdoo?”

Ben Saunders

please stop oh god

SarahWho

Stop WHAT??

flanl3

I nominate this thread for Hall of Fame status.

Stop it, Phil.

Matt Damon

Matt Damon.

Seb Patrick

My name is Otto
    I’m playin’ Pablo

Phil

Step into my orifice.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

I’m Brian and so is my wife.

Phil

Do we do the whole combine three separate people’s opinions into one thing here?

Pete Part Three

No, this is the place to divide one opinion into three separate people.

International Debris

Stop WHAT??

Don’t worry, you’re just about the only person in the thread not being asked to stop.

bloodteller

can i stop too?

SarahWho

well this whole thing’s getting pretty retarded… I’m starting to regret ever starting this thread and coming onto this site tbh.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

Sounds like a new one for the recommendations section.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Please don’t use that word in this way, otherwise I’ll start to regret you coming here too.

bloodteller

nice going on the idiotic gaffes front, sirs. the new forum member lasted almost a full 5 seconds there!

SarahWho

yep, I think I’m done, I mean all you guys do is attack the new people and never let up. I’ve got both anxiety and depression and I just don’t need stuff like this, so I’m out tbh…

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Ta-ra.

Phil

And NOW I nominate this thread for Hall of Fame status.

bloodteller

>all you guys do is attack the new people

i’m new, i only made an account about 8 months ago and nobody ever attacked me.

and honestly, from my perspective, this thread seems to be mostly friendly banter

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

yep, I think I’m done, I mean all you guys do is attack the new people and never let up. I’ve got both anxiety and depression and I just don’t need stuff like this, so I’m out tbh…

You sound just like one of those social justice ppl trying to tell you what to do and how to behave … It’s not even funny anymore.

International Debris

Yeah I mean other than the awful use of ‘retarded’, I’m not sure anybody said anything bad in this thread. I’m somewhat confused to be honest.

Phil

>i’m new, i only made an account about 8 months ago and nobody ever attacked me.

I’ll deal with you later!

Better Dead Than Smeg

And of course being a dick to a girl with a medical condition is fine. Nice. Ian Symes objects to the word ‘retard’ when used to describe a situation and not a person, but is fine with users telling people to fuck themselves and yelling fuck off when faced with someone who simply doesn’t share the same point of view.

As for Jonathan Capps … the hypocrisy is hilarious. Maybe he needs to modify his behaviour.

Another girl whose name I don’t recall off the top of my head was made to feel incredibly uncomfortable too in a thread on the main page. She said as much.

I know this is going to provoke a slew of retorts. I’m probably not going to read them because I’m working and, honestly, I don’t have the time or the inclination to argue with people who behave like this.

Whatever happened to just accepting people for who they are, respecting other opinions even if you disagree with them? Heck, I could stand to eat some of my own words too. Sheesh, talk about a hypocrite. You live, you learn.

Pete Part Three

Yeah, be nice to the sock puppets, people.

Jo TORDFC

Fuck off BDTS. You don’t get to use the I have anxiety and depression line as an excuse for using pejorative language. PLENTY of people around here deal with anxiety and/or depression, but they don’t hide behind it when they act like a prick. Don’t act like a prick and you won’t get treated like one.

Phil

We all feel terrible that we kept up our normal behaviors and didn’t try inserting our penises into a female’s avatar.

SoundableObject

One of the first rules of the internet is when entering a community you should initially lurk to get a feel for the place.

The people in the first few posts were joking around in the same way they would in any thread. In fact this was covered in the very first reply in this thread: “We just tend to dick around amongst ourselves, derailing threads to make puns for several weeks at a time until we eventually learn each other’s names.”

React to normal forum behaviour with insults and offensive words (and don’t pretend it isn’t offensive or that there is a way of using it in a correct context) and don’t be surprised if that means you are treated in a different way.

Also: Hi I’m James.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

I think it goes without saying, it was all Matt Damon’s fault.

SoundableObject

He does have impeccable timing.

SarahWho

I am NOT a sock puppet!!!

What do you want, my Twitter feed for the last ten years?!! How about my my ModelMayhem too!? I was about to say maybe I was wrong and I overreacted which can happen from time to time, and no I don’t want to go into why, but no I see I was right except for a couple of genuinely decent ppl.

Here’s my last modelling page, I started it ten years ago. Read the comments.
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/GypsyRhodes

FFS.

Jimboid

Thank for your contributions gentlemen. See you at next week’s morale meeting. Marvellous.

Dave

Honestly I thought this was going to be a Faith No More thread.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Ian Symes objects to the word ‘retard’ when used to describe a situation and not a person, but is fine with users telling people to fuck themselves and yelling fuck off when faced with someone who simply doesn’t share the same point of view.

Pretty much, yeah.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Also, yes, Cappsy’s post contained a lot of hypocrisy. That was the point.

Jimboid

Also, welcome to the forum, SarahWho.

It’s a place full of embittered, dysfunctional bastards, but you’ll love them.

Well, some of them.

Well, one of them.

Maybe.

<</quote>>

Jo TORDFC

What do you want, my Twitter feed for the last ten years?!!

Nah, I’m good.

How about my my ModelMayhem too!?

Ditto

…I see I was right except for a couple of genuinely decent ppl.

I find it amusing that you judge others as being not “decent” given your earlier language in this thread.

Here’s my last modelling page, I started it ten years ago.

Yes, this is definitely all about proving you’re a real person and not you attention seeking, again.

Read the comments.

Nah, still good.

FFS.

Indeed.

Jimboid

Oh, be nice.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I am NOT a sock puppet!!!

Pete was suggesting Better Dead Than Smeg is a sock puppet. Which he probably is. He’s got the tone of an old school troll.

And also the “please stop” stuff was also directed at him. Literally the first person to be a dick to you on this site was me, after this kicked off.

Jimboid

Everyone’s scared her off.

Nice going, guys. When’s the last time we had a model on the forum that wasn’t a Sevans kit?

Jo TORDFC

Oh, be nice.

First of all, what? Are you my Mum?
    Secondly, I’m a fucking DELIGHT.
    Thirdly, if someone acts like a prick, I’ll treat them like a prick. As previously stated.

Feel free to combine these three statements into one glorious whole.

Jimboid

>Are you my Mum?

I’m inside her so much, I might as well be.

Oh!

I’m kidding, you’re alright.

Pete Part Three

>Pete was suggesting Better Dead Than Smeg is a sock puppet.

Actually, I’ll be completely honest and say I thought Sarah was a sock puppet. I based this on:

1) BDTS making a comment about this place being like “dinner time at the special school” which was rather similar to Sarah’s dodgy remark above

2) BDTS having admired her portfolio before she’d posted a link to it

3) Sarah being the only one who agreed with most of BDTS comments

4) BDTS sleazing over her in the most cringeworthy way possible

5) Sarah leaving and BDTS opportunistically launching into another rant at members of the site.

If that was completely unsubstantiated, then I apologise for the accusation, Sarah. I think that’s the worst you’ve been called on here, mind. You have certainly not been ‘attacked’ by anyone else, and the only issue with you directly has been your choice of a term.

Ben Saunders

Hahahahahahaha

SarahWho

You can click on my user name and it takes you right to my portfolio, that’s how I set it up. And BDTS wasn’t sleazing all over me, it didn’t seem like that to me at all, so I don’t know where that came from.

I’m not the only one who was singled out, there was Lily in the other thread, too. I don’t think BDTS deserves being ganged up on either just because he doesn’t agree with you. What is it with the bully mentality here? I don’t even argree with some of that stuff he was saying but I’m not asshole about it. Some people here go on about inappropriate language and being offensive and all of that while at the same time they’re actually acting way worse to others. WAY worse. You don’t need to tell people what they can and can’t say, as long as they aren’t purposefully going out of their way to offend others it shouldn’t matter. Why attack people all the time so viciously?

@Jo: Attention seeking?! Again?!? Where did you even get that from??? I don’t need the self promotion thank you, not in the slightest. Wanna know what I think? I think you’re self entitled and you don’t give a shit about who you offend, as long as no one offends you. That’s what I think, and you’ve made it more than clear. I’m not even interested in hearing from you again. You can post snarky replies all you like but this is the last response you’ll ever get from me.

y’know this is sad. I really did just come here to talk about new Red Dwarf.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Ah, sorry Pete. FWIW I see no signs of sock puppetry with the two accounts, so that’s something positive to say at least.

International Debris

10 New person says hello
    20 Someone makes joke
    30 New person doesn’t get joke
    40 Someone makes leery comment at new person
    50 Someone asks leering to stop
    60 New person asks stop what
    Go to 40
    70 In-jokes
    80 New person uses ableist language
    90 Someone disapproves
    100 New person flounces
    110 EXPLOSION

Paul Muller

Hi, welcome to G+T.

I’m not going to lie, things are a bit fraught here at the moment…

International Debris

I’m not the only one who was singled out

Nobody singled you out before you said retarded, at which point you were already talking about leaving. Other than some people making jokingly leery comments, all of which were met by people asking them to stop. Is there anything before that you thought was attacking you in any way?

Dave

10 New person says hello
    20 Someone makes joke
    30 New person doesn’t get joke
    40 Someone makes leery comment at new person
    50 Someone asks leering to stop
    60 New person asks stop what
    Go to 40

I think there was only one leery comment really. All the others were jokes taking the piss out of it.

Jo TORDFC

@Jo: Attention seeking?! Again?!? Where did you even get that from???

The repeated references to your modelling and the fact that I’ve seen three different profile photos on your posts in the last few days.

Wanna know what I think?

Nope!

I think you’re self entitled and you don’t give a shit about who you offend, as long as no one offends you.

Interesting. So you should be allowed to make insulting comments to other people on this forum, and say that they’re not decent people. You think it’s ok to call women slags. You think it’s ok to call people “retarded”, but it’s *me* that is the problem here?
    I mean honestly, there are plenty of people who I wouldn’t want to offend tbh. However, I really don’t give a shit if I offend *you* and I don’t care what you think about me, so you’re partially correct.

I’m not even interested in hearing from you again. You can post snarky replies all you like but this is the last response you’ll ever get from me.

Cool! I’m good with that :)

Jimboid

……

Would anybody like any toast?

Pete Part Three

>You can click on my user name and it takes you right to my portfolio, that’s how I set it up

Yeah, sorry about that. The profile links aren’t active in the forum (only news articles), so wasn’t aware that you’d already linked to it.

BDTS got on his soapbox in the other thread and people called him up on it. He gave as good as he got. Just because he didn’t get much support, doesn’t mean he was ‘bullied’. I must have missed what happened with Lily. Wasn’t aware of the drama there.

Incidentally, in my book, telling someone to “fuck off” is a lot less severe than casually throwing around the term “retarded”. Other opinions are available, but if a site admin tells you he’d rather you didn’t use certain words on his site, you’ll need to pay attention to that.

Besides which, you’d already seemingly signed off *before* you used that word because you’d misunderstood that people weren’t taking the piss out of you, but the cheesy way BDTS was quizzing you as if he was David Brent.

Stephen Abootman

We’re going to get through this.

International Debris

International Debris

Oh fuck this board’s coding.

BETTER?

flanl3

IN BRIEF: A woman leaves the forum, and BDTS is disappointed because he doesn’t get to have sex with her.

Colorband

Well, seeing as this appears to be the thing for this, I’ll go and do it as well –

Hello, I am Colorband. I like a lot of things and Red Dwarf. Message ends.

Brayds2006

I’ve been here for close to a decade but why not:

Bonjour, je m’appelle Brayds2006 (which was really short-sighted, makes me look like I was was BORN in 2006. Usernames can’t be changed right?)

Doctor Who is cool and good, and I’m proud to be a part of the best Whovian community on the web! Go G&T!

performingmonkey

I am still here, that’s all that matters…

Half of the above posts are living proof of what I’ve never mastered, which is that one should never post when a) in a bad mood, b) simply on a windup, c) other. It leads to naught but bollocks.

That being said… just because you’re a girl doesn’t occlude you from being a bit of a dick. (should stress it’s the OP I am referring to…). Also, calling someone out for being outright offensive isn’t having a whine, it’s just…not being a dick. I have heard not being a dick is actually quite a fulfilling pastime, one which I may take up as a post-retirement hobby.

Hamish

Well, I did first get an account on here because John Hoare derided something stupid someone wrote on a Wiki I have admin rights on.

Does that count as being attacked? Because otherwise I feel left out.

Cloche

Because everyone else is doing the introducing yourself thing as a joke already, this seems as good a thread as any to jump into the fray.

Hello, I am Cloche/Twatit (not sure which one will show up since this is my first post), I’ve been lurking since Officer Rimmer went live and have been visiting daily since.

Here are a few observations:

1) SarahWho definitely should have read some articles here before blindly posting in the forum (like SoundableObject said).

2) You all seem like good people despite the in-jokes and piss-taking. There are a few dickheads around due to new season fever (not naming any names), but they’ll drift off when it’s done airing.

3) I miss the good ol’ trolls like PescosPete666.

MANI506

My name is Phil and I’ve been a fan since my brother showed me Better Than Life in 1988 but I became a mega fan around series V. First saw the G & T crew on the VII DVD in the fan film section but didn’t sign up to the website until I’d been thoroughly entertained by the Back To Earth instant reactions. I thought Pecospete’s appearance on the 25th anniversary Dwarf Cast was amazing.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Well, I did first get an account on here because John Hoare derided something stupid someone wrote on a Wiki I have admin rights on.

This is excellent.

Pete Part Three

Hello, my name is Peter, I’ve been a fan of Red Dwarf since 14 January ’94 and a carbuncle on the backside of its fandom since 31 January ’97. I’m scared of pins.

I would suggest that newcomers read some of the threads in The Hall of Fame article as a way of seeing what it’s like here.

However, I spent an hour re-reading the Nancy thread yesterday and it’s clearly made me so paranoid that I now think you’re all imaginary. So ignore this advice.

Better Dead Than Smeg

No one ‘called women slags’. No one called someone else ‘retarded’.
    I don’t agree with calling women ‘slags’. No one who you have accused of this does.
    Get over yourself.
    Maybe she changed her avatar three times in as many days because either:
    A, she wasn’t happy with her previous one
    or, more likely,
    B, she simply felt like it.
    Who gives a shit.
    Self-centred, self-interested, self-righteous. Fuck you.

I spent three hours talking to this girl (Sarah) over the phone last night, an experience that I never want to have to repeat again. Take a look at her site and her blog posts and what she has to deal with on a day to day basis. You people are shit. I’ve been civil but that stops now. You’re going to have to accept that some people just don’t share the same values and opinions as you. If your response to that is just to go around and attack people (and you’ve done it to three different people now, over exactly the same issue – your own intolerance for any opinion or view that differs from your own), then it is you who can go and fuck yourselves.

Sarah isn’t coming back. I’m not coming back here after this post. Red Dwarf isn’t worth having to deal with absolute cretins who can’t tell the difference between an internet troll and someone who simply has a difference of opinion. Everything you’ve assumed has been wrong, and I had to waste my own fucking time cleaning up the shit that you caused.

For the love of fuck please think before you go around harassing people who are not equipped to deal with it. Seriously, fucking think.

Seb Patrick

So just to be clear, in the space of a few days:

– Better Dead Than Smeg got into an argument with people on here about political correctness and SJWs
    – A brand new user with the avatar of a female model turned up and agreed with him
    – They got into conversation on here about the fact that she models
    – She gave him his phone number
    – She started a new thread introducing herself and used the word “retarded” as a pejorative
    – People got annoyed
    – She took umbrage at the suggestion that she was a “sockpuppet” in a very defensive way
    – She flounced off
    – They had a three-hour phone conversation about the whole thing

I’ll take “Things That Absolutely Definitely Happened” for $500, Alex.

International Debris

Are people really this absolutely desperate to let other people be ableist? Does the world really work like that now?

Dave

You people are shit. I’ve been civil but that stops now. You’re going to have to accept that some people just don’t share the same values and opinions as you. If your response to that is just to go around and attack people (and you’ve done it to three different people now, over exactly the same issue – your own intolerance for any opinion or view that differs from your own), then it is you who can go and fuck yourselves.

*irony-o-meter explodes*

Seb Patrick

Why did we combine three different people into one though?

bloodteller

I spent three hours talking to this girl (Sarah) over the phone last night

a 3 hour conversation? your phone bill’s going to be quite big then, unless she paid for the call.

but then either way, that seems like a frightening waste of money when you could have just used Skype or something, which is free.

Lily

Unless you’ve got the Evenings and Weekends deal. Then you just have to hang up and redial every 60 minutes and it’s free!

Ben Saunders

I’ve been lurking for like three years but I think somebody had an opinion so genuinely wrong I had to make an account just to shout at them, or something, I can’t remember

si

*enters, rubs hands*

Okay guys, have I missed anything interesting?

Ridley

Carte blanchett is upset again.

Taiwan Tony

>I’m scared of pins.

Are you really?

Jonsmad

Hello I’m Jonsmad

What can I tell ya.

Boy I never thought I’d see a thread round here where people all think The model is so much shitter than some CGI.

Phil

Jonsmad wins.

Ben Saunders

>The model is so much shitter than some CGI.
    Well 2D is better than 3D

Is what some people would say.
    Horrible, sick, twisted people.
    Would say that.

Cloche

I think I would appreciate the model more if it wasn’t so in your face about being a model. It didn’t fit the atmosphere at all, almost like it was shoved in with no real thought behind it. The abrupt explosion and subsequent exit didn’t help matters either, seeing as it fired the shot. Although it did take out a rather nasty little troll that was in the blast radius. Well, it would be difficult to not be in the radius when you’re trying to pork the damn thing.

Overall, big mistake by the model department. I hope they replace it with some half assed CGI when the remastered comes out.

Hamish

Browsing the internet one night, I came across this forum, clearly a Red Dwarf forum, and at once, to my horror and outrage, what I thought I saw was a bunch of intolerant cretins that go around and attack people. I was already reaching for my telephone to call to this girl (Sarah), when something happened to make me laugh. So I left the telephone where it was and went on posting. Within moments I had gotten what the forum was, and I was laughing all of the time. For me what continues to make this forum so appealing is that it is at times so close to a normal fan community and yet so delightfully makes such a mock of itself and the kind of people who post on it. I sometimes wish we could introduce some of that same wild ironic humour to other online fandoms as well.

MANI506

I will never get tired of Patrick Stewart variations, I hope the forthcoming 30th anniversary Dwarf Cast is stuffed full of Patrick.

Ben Paddon

Seb Patrick

Is Hamish new? I like Hamish.

Jo TORDFC

I think I would appreciate the model more if it wasn’t so in your face about being a model. It didn’t fit the atmosphere at all, almost like it was shoved in with no real thought behind it. The abrupt explosion and subsequent exit didn’t help matters either, seeing as it fired the shot. Although it did take out a rather nasty little troll that was in the blast radius. Well, it would be difficult to not be in the radius when you’re trying to pork the damn thing.
    Overall, big mistake by the model department. I hope they replace it with some half assed CGI when the remastered comes out.

*APPLAUSE*

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

When the G&T forum is at its absolute worst, it’s often then followed by the G&T forum at its absolute best.

performingmonkey

See what happens when someone gets their tits out? Pandemonium.

Darrell

I SAID SORRY

Hamish

> Is Hamish new? I like Hamish.

I’m your sock puppet.

flanl3

> Is Hamish new? I like Hamish.
    I’m your sock puppet.

Whoops. Right, forgot about that.

flanl3

Oops, wrong account.

Pete Part Three

Phew. I think I got out of that one.

Cloche

And of course, no one suspects the account that joined yesterday is, in fact, the sock puppet.

Brayds2006

But why did we divide one sock puppet into three separate puppets?

Cloche

Quick, someone get Jawscvmedia to combine them into one again!

Brayds2006

The cv in Jawscvmedia stands for “combining voices”.

Ridley

Mr. Flibble is very cloche.

Jo TORDFC

I can’t believe it’s cloche butter.

Plastic Percy

Die Screaming with Sharp Things in Your Cloche.

performingmonkey

You’ll float too.

Rival Schools

I haven’t cringed this hard since my cousin called her dad a cunt at our grandmother’s funeral.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 113 posts - 1 through 113 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.