Help with a book project

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Help with a book project

This topic contains 51 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Karnie 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 52 posts - 1 through 52 (of 52 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Karnie

Hi folks,
    I hope someone here may be able to help a fellow fan out regarding a project with which I’m currently involved. As some of you may be aware, I’m in the process of writing an unauthorized lexicon of the entire Red Dwarf mythos for Hasslein Books. I’ve made great progress so far and have enjoyed re-visiting the episodes, as well as diving into the various ancillary materials. I’ve managed to obtain nearly everything I know of containing original in-universe material pertaining to Red Dwarf; however, there are a few items that have eluded me.

The resources I have so far are as follows:

• DVD episodes and bonus materials (including Back to Earth and The Bodysnatcher Collection)
    • All 4 novels, plus the omnibus
    • Every official book about Red Dwarf (quiz books, script books, “making of” books, etc.), as well as actors’ autobiographies
    • The Smegazines
    • Content appearing on the official Web site and G&T
    • The Roleplaying Game (the main guide, the AI Screen, and the Series Sourcebook)
    • Trading cards packaged with the DVDs, as well as the Futera starter set
    • Beat the Geek Interactive DVD Quiz
    • Specials such as “Children in Need,” “Can’t Smeg, Won’t Smeg,” etc.
    • The two US pilots, as well as the first-draft shooting script (sorry…)

This is where my call for assistance comes in. Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to procure the following, some of which may not be available or even exist:

• Copies of any early-draft scripts (other than those included in the two official script books, “Primordial Soup” and Son of Soup”)
    • Any photos showing details on props not clearly visible onscreen (magazines, forms, signs, components, control panels, etc.)
    • Video of the mobisodes, specifically the Christmas one (part 1 is on Youtube, Part 2 is not)
    • Movie script (ha!)
    • Any trading cards not included in the Futera starter set that contain in-universe material not available elsewhere
    • Any other material that would be considered canon and not found in the above-listed material

My question is twofold: First, is there anything I’ve overlooked on the above lists, and second, would anyone who has anything on my “missing” list be able to provide me with copies or scans, or point me to someone who can? I would greatly appreciate any assistance, and will gladly include you in the book’s acknowledgements. This is a labor of love and my intention is to make the book as complete as possible. Thanks in advance!

Ben Paddon

No idea if it’s of any use to you, but I have the entire set of Red Dwarf Tabletop RPG guidebooks. Some of the content is “canon” (insofar as Red Dwarf has canon) and some of it, such as the playable Iguana and Rat races, is pure bollocks. It does have some interesting text about gadgets, characters and locations seen in episodes, though.

AFAIK the RPG is long out of print now.

I’d be happy to mail ’em to you provided you covered the cost of shipping and would send them back when you’re done. I’m in Los Angeles, though; someone more local may well have copies of the books they’d be willing to send your way, but if not do feel feel free to shoot me an email.

Alex

Probably not a lot of use to you, but if you’ve been looking at the articles on here and the Offical site then I guess I should also point out our articles on Gazpacho Soup. There isn’t a huge ammount up yet, but things like James’ piece on the viewing figures for Back to Earth might prove to be of interest.

Also, I take it you’ve gone back and listened to Son of Cliche? If not then that’s obviously a really important part in the history and for more than just providing the sort-of idea of Red Dwarf with Dave Hollins.

Karnie

Ben: Thanks, the Roleplaying game and all associated materials have actually all been obtained; the Series Sourcebook was a particular pain to find, as most places were selling it for upwards of $120 or more due to its rarity, but finally found it for list price. Thumbing through it, I was amused at how much material it will actually end up adding, particularly the Sourcebook, which has in-depth profiles of every minor character seen in the series. And yes, the playable iguana and rat races will be included as alternate universe entries… =)

Alex: Oh yes, I plan on checking out every major fan site eventually, if there’s anything I’ve learned so far, it’s to not overlook ANYTHING; I’ve found entries in concept art! I’m mostly looking for in-universe material, so things like viewing figures for the show are not really needed for entries, but still cool to know, so I’ll be sure to check it out. I’ve listened to the episodes of Son of Cliché included on the DVDs, but I’m torn; My co-worker says I should include them in the book, but I consider them just outside the realm of canon enough to question its inclusion. I’ll probably go back and forth on that one.

I’d also like to add to the list possible differences between versions; I know the official site has an article on the differences between the Czech and English versions, but if anyone knows any differences in other languages or conversions, that would be great to include as well. Thanks!

Plastic Percy

It’s a shame I didn’t hear about this sooner, as I actually found a torrent of the RPG online.

Also, I did work out a vague timeline of the events of ‘Red Dwarf’ if you’re interested.

Blisschick

I don’t know if this is of any importance to you, but the edits for the versions shown in the US are different from the ones shown in the UK. I started watching Red Dwarf on Netflix before I bought the DVD’s, so was very surprised to find that scenes had been cut or sound effects added/altered. I remember being told at some point that it was something done for our PBS stations, but I don’t have a clue as to why.

Ben Paddon

Are you talking about Red Dwarf Remastered, Blisschick? Or some other thing? The only edits I’m aware off for Netflix was the substitution of Series I-III with the remastered versions. Series IV onwards were as-broadcast, near as I could tell, save for the “RedDwarf.co.uk” banner added to the end credits.

Blisschick

Yeah, I think that’s the ones…

Pete Part Three

Wait, Red Dwarf I-III has been re-edited? You’d think they’d be an outcry.

Karnie

OK, PHEW! I actually have both the US Region 1 DVDs and the remastered Series I-III DVDs (dubbed the Bodysnatcher Collection, which was never released in America), so hopefully there’s nothing I’m missing there.

Karnie

@PlasticPercy: Thanks, ultimately it worked out for the best, as I prefer hardcopies anyway, but if it turned out to be the difference between spending $120 on a book or the torrents, I would have definitely taken you up on it. As far as the timeline, it’s funny you say that, our company started by doing timelines, but when I decided to do Red Dwarf I wasn’t convinced there would be enough date-specific material to be able to do a comprehensive chronology. If I ever do decide to do it, you’ll be the first to know… =) Thanks!

Ben Paddon

OK, PHEW! I actually have both the US Region 1 DVDs and the remastered Series I-III DVDs (dubbed the Bodysnatcher Collection, which was never released in America), so hopefully there’s nothing I’m missing there.

Basically. When Red Dwarf was on Netflix series I-III were Remastered, IV onwards were as broadcast. Netflix did list the Xtended versions of the series VII and VIII episodes alongside their regular counterparts but had them marked as “DVD Only”. They did not list the Directors Cut of Back to Earth, though.

As I recall, all episodes from the first eight series had the end credits slightly crushed to make room for a RedDwarf.co.uk banner at the bottom. This isn’t present on the US DVD set, and I’ve no idea if it’s present on any other online streaming versions of the show (Amazon? iTunes?).

Phil

>As I recall, all episodes from the first eight series had the end credits slightly crushed to make room for a RedDwarf.co.uk banner at the bottom. This isn’t present on the US DVD set, and I’ve no idea if it’s present on any other online streaming versions of the show (Amazon? iTunes?).

That’s fascinating. I always assumed Netflix Streaming sourced their copies direct from the DVDs. (After all, why wouldn’t they?) But this sounds like they are given separate copies to use for streaming…presumably by the distributor? Very interesting.

Karnie

Another reference I’ve been using is the Props store website; sometimes they have props with writing on it not visible onscreen.

Aside from that site, does anyone own any props with writing on it?

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

Two US Pilots? I thought only one ever made it into the public domain.

ori-STUDFARM

There is a full episode which is the first pilot. Then there was a last ditch attempt by Rob and Doug second pilot. Although, it isn’t really an episode. It’s the US Red Dwarf crew (with a couple of key changes) crowding around in a dark room saying how many fun adventures they will have. Then clips from the UK version are played to demonstrate the kind of adventures they will have. Not so much a pilot as a direct appeal to the TV people

Both are out there, although it took me some searching to find!

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

Ah, I see.

I’ve seen the full pilot but didn’t realise the second was available. If it’s basically a clip show I won’t bother wasting my time looking for it.

ori-STUDFARM

Not even for the sexy feline warrior style Terry Farrel?

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

Well I suppose. *Googles* Ahhhhh
    Fuck me, that’s one scary cat.

Karnie

The second pilot is a mish-mash of footage from the original series, the first American pilot and some new footage, but presented as a sort of clip show. I was able to find digital versions of them online, then to my surprise found someone selling bootleg copies, so I grabbed one. To my dismay, the quality on the DVD was much worse than the digital files; it was like trying to watch a scrambled channel. If anyone is that desperate to see it, contact me and I can hook you up with the digital file.

si

I’ve had a DVD – actually, no, it’s a VCD – of the first one for years, and I’ve seen it on YouTube plenty, too, but I’ve still never found the second promo online. :/

ori-STUDFARM

I got them both through a torrent site. Took bloody ages for them to come through, but I now have them on my iPod, Xoom and main PC hard drive. You know…just incase they crash or something.

A few weeks before we reviewed the US pilot, i did find both versions on a Google video search. Unfortunately, the second one was removed before I could post the links in the shownotes.

Karnie

I’m surprised no one has the Mobisodes, specifically the Christmas one… it’s turning out to be like the Star Wars Holiday Special… no one wants to even admit it ever existed!

Jonsmad

I’ve got the mobisodes most of them somewhere. Cant find the memory card i saved them on though.

Jonsmad

Which shows how often I rewatched them in recent years.

si

I’d love to see the Mobisodes. My phone was too shit to see them at the time.

Karnie

{{I’ve got the mobisodes most of them somewhere. Cant find the memory card i saved them on though.}}

If you could find them (and send me vids), you would most certainly secure a spot on the acknowledgements page!

Jonsmad

I will search. Might be like trying to find a good joke in duct soup. But I’ll try. I dont have every mobisode but ive got most of them.

Karnie

((I will search. Might be like trying to find a good joke in duct soup. But I’ll try. I dont have every mobisode but ive got most of them.))

Honestly, even if you just had the second half of “Red Christmas”, that would make my day, as it’s the only one with actual new material in it that just can’t be found.

Dave

>I will search. Might be like trying to find a good joke in duct soup. But I’ll try. I dont have every mobisode but ive got most of them

If you do find them, I’d love to see them as well.

Would you consider putting them on youtube or some similar file sharing site?

Jonsmad

I’ve found nothing on unmarked discs, so far. I’ve got an old hard drive that’s in the suspect list of places, but I need to find the power adapter that fits the gizmo ive got with it to power it up to usb transfer files from it. Cus I moved house recently. So still washing around shitly in boring parts of starbug in terms of progress. Nothing to consider unless i do find them.

Karnie

By the way, if anyone is interested in the project, here’s a link to the book’s site:
    http://hassleinbooks.com/pages/book_redDwarf.php

As well as my blog entry on the project:
    http://paulanoma.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-cold-outside-theres-no-kind-of.html

Dave

For the record, Mary Queen of Scots was a real person.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

‘Hoots Mon, where’s me heed…’

Karnie

Yeah, that was my first indication that this wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought…. =) The sheer amount of real-world references is staggering.

Karnie

Does anyone know of any scripts out there, first draft to final, that isn’t included in the two official script books? I’m talking actual scripts, not transcripts found on some websites. Scripts, especially early drafts, usually contain a wealth of information not commonly known. If anyone knows of any (or owns copies of them) please contact me, Thanks!

Pecospete666

Paul Muller

That is actually quite interesting.

There’s 4 or 5 pages of dialogue which is completely different to the end result.

Some kind of dream sequence, Kochanski bringing a piano on board.

I mean, it’s not fantastic stuff, but intriguing nonetheless.

Karnie

Check out these guys!

http://www.propstore.com/product-Original-Nanarchy-Script.htm

Yes, exactly like this… but a less “having to pay $80” way and a more “If someone has a copy I could borrow, get scanned or download, they’ll get a mention in the acknowledgements and possibly a free book out of it” kind of way…. =)

Karnie

Just checking back in; Jonsmad, were you able to find any mobisodes from your files?

Karnie

Just an update: Work on the RD book has slowed as we finished up production on our Back to the Future Lexicon, which is still on track for a Thanksgiving release. Once the dust settles on that, I’m returning full-force to Red Dwarf, finishing up documenting Back to Earth before moving on to the novels!

Ben Kirkham

“our Back to the Future Lexicon, which is still on track for a Thanksgiving release.”

That sounds extremely interesting, I LOVE those films! Please let us know when it’s officially released and provide a purchase link. :)

HelloMabel

I’d be interested in this too!

Jonsmad

No I’ve not found any mobisodes and I’ve searched pretty extensively, discs, hard drives and usb sticks. Not turned up anything sorry. Will say if I do find them. But at the moment assume If you’ve not heard from me that I wont ever find where I put them.

Karnie

No problem Jonsmad, thanks for trying!

For those interested in the BttF book, the book’s page is here:

http://hassleinbooks.com/pages/book_bttfLexicon.php

It will eventually contain links to the various Amazon sites carrying the book, including Amazon.UK.

You can also friend us at facebook.com/hassleinbooks or follow us at Twitter.com/hassleinbooks to be updated when the book is released. I’ll also post in the forums here when it’s available, as long as the Admins don’t mind a non-Red Dwarf related plug.

Karnie

New Update: The first sketches from Pat Carbajal for the interior of the book have come in; a sample of them can be found at our blog here:
    http://hassleinbooks.blogspot.com/2013/03/alright-suckers-new-artwork-from-pat.html

anniescribe

DAMN, SON. Those are good.

HelloMabel

Are any of the sketches full-page or double-page spread?

If so, I have found my new coffee table book.

Karnie

Most of them will be full page, yep. They’ll be 27 in all – one for each section opener, much like our “Planet of the Apes” and “Back to the Future” Encyclopedias, seen here:

http://hassleinbooks.com/excerpts/potaLexicon.pdf

and here:

http://hassleinbooks.com/excerpts/bttfLexicon.pdf

Blisschick

I am so getting one of these…so hurry up and finish, already!! :P

Karnie

Heya! Just wanted to drop back in for an update. To date, the main compendium is written and is currently being edited. Also, the Intro, acknowledgements, abbreviation key, episode guide, universe guide and foreword should all be finished by next week, and soon will also be sent to the editor. After everything all cleaned up, the index will be created. We’ve got a few people lined up to look over the whole thing once it’s compiled and edited; after all is said and done, we should be good to go by June/July of this year.

My editor claims this is the biggest manuscript of all the publications done by Hasslein Books, so there’s a slim chance it may end up becoming two books, due to the limits of Print-on-Demand. If that ends up being the case, we’ll try our hardest to price them accordingly so customers are not shelling out too much more for the two. I really don’t want to go that route because it might be perceived as a cash-grab, but I also don’t want the quality and contents to suffer, so I really won’t know until I start laying out the book.

Although I enjoyed every moment of the process, after three years I can honestly say I’m relieved the hard part is finally over, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing this book finally come together in the upcoming months. I hope you all are too.

Karnie

P.S.: If anyone is interested in regular updates and news about this and our other upcoming books (including a recently announced Doctor Who book by Matthew J. Elliott), head on over to Facebook and ‘Like’ our page at https://www.facebook.com/hassleinbooks

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 52 posts - 1 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.