"Holograms don't produce heat, and neither do androids…"

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum "Holograms don't produce heat, and neither do androids…"

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  flanl3 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Toxteth O-Grady

Rimmer says this in Polymorph, but wouldn’t that be a violation of the laws of Thermodynamics?

I would have thought Grant and Naylor would be aware of this, so I assume it was just a set up for the subsequent joke. But it’s such an odd statement it almost distracts me from what follows. How could they NOT produce heat?

They could have re-written it to say “noticeable heat” or “enough heat” and I would’ve let it slide.
    A missed opportunity for the Re-Mastered version!

Ben Saunders

Can’t erase people from history, time travel, go faster than light, turn a sparrow into a dinosaur, travel to parallel universes, survive in a backwards one, swap bodies with anyone let alone a hologram, shape shift, meet your future selves, kill your future selves, kill your past self, be your own dad, speak to your virus, resurrect thousands of dead people with little tiny robots, become a dog, teleport, tell the future, make hundreds of copies of yourself, or speak to the universe, either.

It’s just really lazy writing.

bloodteller

Ben, you missed out being able to make a portal to a parallel universe using a mirror, a laser and a can of lager.

International Debris

be your own dad

I always wondered just how genetically fucked up Jim and Bexley must be. Not only are both their parents Lister, but that means they have grandparents on both sides that are Lister, and great-grandparents on both sides that are Lister, etc. etc.

bloodteller

maybe that’s why Bexley looked exactly like Lister in Future Echoes

International Debris

Oh God it was planned all along

Ben Saunders

It all works out, you know. They’re not daft, that Rob and Doug. Got it all worked out from day one, so they did.

Toxteth O-Grady

According to the current understanding of physics, time-travel to the past isn’t impossible, just implausible.
    Also, forward time-travel is possible according to special relativity and general relativity.
    So that’s all the time-travel stuff checked-off.

Faster than light? “Apparent FTL is not excluded by general relativity, however, any apparent FTL physical plausibility is speculative. Examples of apparent FTL proposals are the Alcubierre drive and the traversable wormhole”.
    No problems there.

Mind Swap? “Theoretically, a person with advanced organ failure could be given a new and functional body while keeping their own personality, memories, and consciousness through such a procedure”.
    All good.

Anything else that isn’t in Series VIII can also be justified by browsing Wikipedia.

EXCEPT thermodynamic-law-defying androids. That’s just dumb.
    I can only assume Doug Naylor wrote that line when Rob Grant wasn’t looking.

GlenTokyo

It was a FLIR type heat sensor thing so for those purposes then yeah, they wouldn’t register. Rimmer would be a red sprout sized blob 4 feet in the air and nothing else, and assuming in universe Kryten is made of metal/ceramics/has heatsinks and fans etc like real robots do he’d be mostly invisible so long as his outer plating was cool

GlenTokyo

Definitely a “don’t give off enough heat” if you’re being picky though.

si

I always wondered just how genetically fucked up Jim and Bexley must be. Not only are both their parents Lister, but that means they have grandparents on both sides that are Lister, and great-grandparents on both sides that are Lister, etc. etc.

They’re also both their own/each other’s uncle, too.

flanl3

Thing is, a Lister-Lister child would most likely not be exactly like Lister. Also, the chances of Lister and Kochanski’s child being identical to Lister are also fairly slim.

Also, why doesn’t Kochanski act like Lister’s mum despite the fact that she was wanting to have the child?

International Debris

My knowledge of genetics is next to nothing, but I always thought Lister being his own dad was impossible on the grounds that he’d be 50% Kochanski. He could only ever be 50% Listery, genetically.

As for baby Lister, fuck knows what was happening there. Did Kochanski get pregnant, or was the baby grown in the in vitro mixer somehow? Either way, when were those nine months?

International Debris

Also, isn’t there the implication that Kochanski and Lister became romantically attached during the non-existent series 9 and 10? In which case she’d be knowingly in love with her own son.

And who is the father of the Lister from Kochanski’s universe?

Ben Saunders

Yes.

clem

Science aside, that line of Rimmer’s about the heat-seekers is a bit crap anyway. Cat’s right there with him and Kryten, so Rimmer wondering aloud what they’re homing in on seems forced.

Anyway, incest…

flanl3

And who is the father of the Lister from Kochanski’s universe?

Lister, since baby Lister got left in the Aigburth Arms before Frankenstein mewed.

flanl3

My knowledge of genetics is next to nothing, but I always thought Lister being his own dad was impossible on the grounds that he’d be 50% Kochanski. He could only ever be 50% Listery, genetically.

I believe it’s something to the tune of that Kochanski contributes half his chromosomes and he contributed the other half, but of course that means he contributed chromosomes which hadn’t been separated and spliced, as they would be,

flanl3

but I suppose you could just say “that’s how it had to be so that’s how it was.”

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.