Krysis Headcanon

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Krysis Headcanon

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  flanl3 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

JimReaper

I really like Krysis but one element had always held back my enjoyment – the whole “Mechs last 6 million years” thing. Until now! I don’t know if someone has already said the following (I’m quite new to the forum) but it struck me as a plausible explanation:

I got to thinking – what in our real world is built to last for a similar amount of time? Answer – the Voyager space probes. Sure, they only have a 40-odd year lifespan as useful science tools, but they are built to endure far, far longer and carry evidence of humankind on for many aeons to come.

So! What if all Spacecorp Mechs, while only having a limited lifespan as upto date tech (a la The Last Day), are designed to go on working a lot longer in case (as happened to Kryten and Butler) they were lost to the stars. What if Mechs are designed to keep running for a huge amount of time (6 million years) after the end of their useful service life in order to act as witnesses to humanity if they get lost in space.

It makes sense. Once I stuck on the idea, that element of Krysis stopped irking me and I found the whole thing way more enjoyable. Hoorah!

flanl3

I really like that explanation.

The fuck is a headcanon?

JimReaper

Cheers mate!

Where I got Headcanon from : https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Headcanon

flanl3

Ah. So it’s a fancy fandom fuckery word for an explanation. Thanks for the link.

Warbodog

That was just one of the tetchy issues that prevented me from enjoying Krysis. I haven’t rewatched it, but based on my notes at the time:

– Has Red Dwarf really been taking place c.2,976,000 years in the future all this time and everyone’s been rounding up, or is Kryten now from a time several tens of millennia later than he previously claimed to be?

– Why does the 3000 Series look a lot like Kryten, when it was previously said to have been an eerily realistic model?

– Has the Kochanski plot been resolved or forgotten if the crew can just go into stasis for undisclosed periods willy-nilly?

– Did Doug Naylor really invent a nonsense stat about the universe being half-way through its lifespan just so he could make that joke?

I found the “maaaaa” stuff insufferable too. But apart from all that, maybe I’d enjoy it more on a rewatch.

flanl3

We’ve discussed all of those. I’ll explain them if you like, but I haven’t got the time now.

flanl3

*headcanonate

Katydid

Series 3000s are supposed to be lifelike! And the cast are supposed to have animal heads! And who’s this “Cat” character? Why does Doug insist on contradicting Out of Time?

GlenTokyo

Didn’t it say approximately on The End the original assembly? Or am I making that up?

The other points I’m with you. At a push Butler could have been the cheap 3000 series that looks naff, or the unreality bubble could have fabricated Kryten’s memory of the 3000 series, but I think Doug admits in the doc that he fudged the age of the universe for the sake of a joke.

Kochanski wise, if they’re going to ever resolve it, which I don’t think they will, I think she has to have been on the ship all along in stasis somewhere and fiddled with Kryten’s memory, all the other options (apart from ignoring her) are a bit too tragic for a 27 minute sitcom on Dave to handle properly.

With the broader strokes the series takes now, and emphasis on gags above all, any resolution to the Kochanski story involving her being found in any state other than lovely smiley Chloë Annett just couldn’t be done. If they make light of it it won’t fit with the characters, if they make some harrowing we’ve found Kochanski’s remains episode and make it like an episode of Happy Valley it’s out of character for the show.

Doug has fucked himself really, but he doesn’t dwell on continuity problems, he moves past them. I’d love to see him have a go at digging himself out of this one though.

Warbodog

Three million would always have been approximate (unless you take Rimmer’s “first contact with intelligent life in three million and two years” back in series II literally). It was just a shock to have it rounded by that much, which combined with the bizarre six-million-year lifespan was enough to put me in a weird mood for an episode I was already wary of going in.

Unreality pockets are a convenient answer to Series 3000, thanks.

Kochanski seems even less important now than she did in 2016, so I don’t care about that any more.

And Doug’s universe confession is fine too. It is quite a funny joke.

Katydid

From what I’ve seen, the people clamoring to see Kochanski again are the same people who think Only the Good had a cliffhanger worth resolving.

flanl3

I had different explanations to pretty much all of those.

– It’s a combination of Kryten being somewhat newer and rounding.

– He had so much time on his hands that he probably redid himself to be less eerily human. If that’s your main flaw, and you’ve got three million years, surely you could take a break from all the art and wallpapering and discovery and general pissing about and fix the one main problem with yourself?

– It’s undisclosed. Doesn’t mean it was that long. We saw Dwarf pass, what, three planets? Could have been days. They just went into stasis because Kryten was already becoming destructive and they didn’t want him fucking up the ship and starving everybody by only bringing them plastic cloches at mealtimes.

– It’s not our universe.

Katydid

He had so much time on his hands that he probably redid himself to be less eerily human. If that’s your main flaw, and you’ve got three million years, surely you could take a break from all the art and wallpapering and discovery and general pissing about and fix the one main problem with yourself?

Seems like a lot of headcanon to excuse away the lack of something that was never established to be real in the first place.

flanl3

It seemed like all their memories from before the unreality bubbles were still correct. Hence why they were shocked by having animal heads, instead of just going “oh just another lovely day on starelk”

Dave

Although they do completely forget that Cat ever existed.

flanl3

Today on Ganymede & Titan: we find all the inconsistencies in a part of a show that literally happened in a place where it wasn’t real.

In my defense, Kryten still seemed to remember the series 3000 as such once they’d all left the unreality bubble.

Dax101

I think Doug will bring kochanski back at some point, its just easier to tell stories without needing to acknowledge her all the time.

Course that does create some issues when it comes to reflecting on how much time has passed but new Dwarf does tend to kinda feel like its full of back references but every so often seems like it forget certain details the show had set up in the past.

GlenTokyo

I do sort of want them to resolve Only The Good… not because it deserves it but because I fucking hate continuity errors. Such a massive cop out, I suppose I’m the ‘you made your bed, lie in it’ type haha

Also the longer it goes the more starts to conflict with all of VIII which just annoys me more than it should. That series was wank, but it exists and I’m a big fan of a universe with rules and lore, and Red Dwarf (it seems accidentally because from interviews neither Rob nor Doug seemed to have that in mind) had/has quite an interesting one.

The II to III continuity disaster I really didn’t mind because even though the scroll was a cop out, so much changed with that series for the better from sets to character back stories that it was worth it, and the scroll did sort of make sense.

International Debris

The universe age thing doesn’t bother me, it’s a very Dwarfy joke really.

I don’t really want to see Kochanski again, unless it’s on a very distinct ‘last ever’ episode. That said, the Lister/Kochanski thing was the driving force behind BtE, and hung over a lot of X. So for it to suddenly disappear a few episodes later does seem quite jarring. It seemed to be built up and then inexplicably completely forgotten, which is a touch uncomfortable.

Only the Good was resolved in Karnie’s ‘Homecoming’ fanfic better than any ‘official’ version could come close to.

Lily

I don’t think it’d be too hard to sort out Kochanski. She’s been exploring space to find a way back to her dimension and having found a way, she needs to use something on Red Dwarf to re-establish the link. She activates the homing beacon on blue midget and goes in to stasis until it catches up (which just happens to be the exact right amount of time that they’ve all aged appropriately). She arrives, sorts out the technical dodads, gets the link and goes home. Get the closure for the character and not have to have her back in the show.

Dax101

I don’t really care about concluding Only the Good but do care that Doug doesn’t even seem to want to try.

I mean i think we can all acknowledge that Doug left Only the goods ending in a pretty stupid way but if if wasn’t for the fact Red Dwarf has such forgiving fans he probably wouldn’t be able to get away with doing such a thing.

GlenTokyo

You know I’d never really considered how Kochanski must have been feeling, in VIII Doug just binned the idea of her missing her Dave and her previous life.

They could just do an episode set in that universe, and cut between sort of Samsara but with the main cast. Our crew find a beacon with a video explaining it and they go through the story. Actually sounds a bit Thanks for the Memory. Might be decent, get the crew in snazzy alternative outfits, Craig gets to do a bit of acting, bit of a mystery.

flanl3

WHY WAS THERE NO KOCHANSKI IN ANY OF THE SKIPPER UNIVERSES? WHAT A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY, WASTED.

Dax101

Probably because kochanski being around doesn’t really effect Rimmer.

bloodteller

>WHY WAS THERE NO KOCHANSKI IN ANY OF THE SKIPPER UNIVERSES? WHAT A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY, WASTED.

surely the real question is why there wasn’t a Mobisode universe in Skipper

Plastic Percy

Kochanski doesn’t need much resolution. She’s out there, flying around in Blue Midget. It’s a better position than she’s been in previously, seeing as for the first six seasons she was dead.

bloodteller

why the fuck didn’t she take a Starbug? they’re bigger and you can hold more things in them, like food and lanyards and stuff

flanl3

because blue midget can dance

Katydid

I do sort of want them to resolve Only The Good… not because it deserves it but because I fucking hate continuity errors. Such a massive cop out, I suppose I’m the ‘you made your bed, lie in it’ type haha

How is it a continuity error to do a time jump?

GlenTokyo

Not an error I suppose, but ignorance.

Kochanski not being there after a time jump was explained at least, even if it was done in an easy, ‘btw she dead/fucked off’ way.

I really don’t like the sort of jokey “what am I like” attitude around the unresolved VIII ending from Doug, regardless of the fact VIII should be erased from existence and memory, it just celebrates previous shitness and as Dax says, he gets away with it because we’re a forgiving bunch largely, probably because Red Dwarf has been with a lot of us for a couple of decades.

Katydid

VIII should be erased from existence and memory

Then why are you frustrated that the show is pretending it never happened?

GlenTokyo

Because it can’t be erased from memory and it’s existence has repercussions for the rest of it.

Also that post makes me sound entitled like Doug owes me something, he did co-create the show so he’s still on my Christmas card list, but yeah.

Katydid

Because it can’t be erased from memory and it’s existence has repercussions for the rest of it.

But how is the show not better off just ignoring it and moving on? Series VIII dug the show into a hole, so what would be gained from actually watching it climb back out that isn’t already accomplished by just skipping ahead to when it’s already there?

I mean new fans could literally skip over the worst season of the show and miss nothing important. That’s kind of wonderful.

Lily

You know I’d never really considered how Kochanski must have been feeling, in VIII Doug just binned the idea of her missing her Dave and her previous life.

Kochanski doesn’t need much resolution. She’s out there, flying around in Blue Midget. It’s a better position than she’s been in previously, seeing as for the first six seasons she was dead.

Considering she chose to travel the abysmal emptiness of deep space on her own in something little larger than a caravan, over having to be in the same space on a 5 mile long ship with other people, she must have been pretty desperate to get out of there.

I guess really I should be grateful that she didn’t get pushed out an airlock. A happy resolution is too much to ask.

bloodteller

why didn’t she just hide somewhere on the ship? its 5 miles long, surely theres places she can go where lister and the other lads wont bother her.

Ben Saunders

She just needed some space.

bloodteller

there’s plenty of space in space

flanl3

why go to outer space when you could go to inner space

bloodteller

what about the space between spaces

Plastic Percy

She took Blue Midget instead of Starbug as Starbug tends to crash. A lot.

flanl3

The area between the words “RED” and “DWARF” on the hull

….

…..

……

…..

….

is a space

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.