Level//Nivelo

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Level//Nivelo

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Plastic Percy 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

flanl

Most major scenes in the first couple series take place on a few different levels of the ship – up to four-hundred-plus floors apart! Why, then, does it suddenly become such a shockingly long voyage to get to the lowest levels in Stasis Leak?

International Debris

Different levels could be in different parts of the ship. The Stasis Leak could be right at the back of the ship, while they spend most of their time at the front. Or vice versa.

I’ve always wanted to know what the hell is actually filling the ship. It’s so absurdly big, what else is going on in there?

Jonsmad

Rimmer was in charge of renumbering the ship and
    Was only half way through when the accident happened rendering
    It pointless to look at which numbers are where, also unbeknown to him
    Lister had moved some numbers around on his plan for a laugh,

Dave Wallace

I’ve always wanted to know what the hell is actually filling the ship. It’s so absurdly big, what else is going on in there?

Probably some kind of top-secret prison filled with hardened criminals.

si

Probably some kind of top-secret prison filled with hardened criminals

On a mining ship? That’s just stupid.

Dave Wallace

Yeah, you’re right. Sorry, I don’t know what I was thinking.

Dollar Pound

this reminds me of the discussion about who does the mining. it’s all full of rocks. maybe the lift is going horizontally – has it actually been established which way the artificial gravity is orientated on ship? okay yes, bte part 1. but maybe it goes different ways, multidirectional gravity.

Dollar Pound

about the mining – there should be an episode where for some tenuous reason they have to do some mining but no-one knows anything about it. and their lives depend on it. and they do some mining in the end because their lives depend on it, ironically, what with them being on a mining ship all this time. and when they go to do the actual mining they wear cloches on there heads with lights on

Dollar Pound

the ship is full of farts from titan. or one big fart i guess

Plastic Percy

I was always under the impression that since the ship contained geologists and scientists, that the Red Dwarf crew would themselves be doing the mining or were transporting miners and their equipment to Triton.

They do manage to confuse themselves by using various naming structures for the ship’s levels – there’s the stuff like Level/Nivelo 592, then we get mentions of the penthouse suite on A-Deck and the science labs on Z-Deck, then finally the prison is on Floor 13.

International Debris

And of course the Floor 13 button is secretly hidden away behind a very obvious shutter, so nobody ever suspected a thing.

Dollar Pound

bazookoids are mining lasers. people are doing the mining but we never come across them in the entire red dwarf oeuvre. it would be funny if they lampshaded that in the show

Adam Bailey

The opening shot of Lister hanging on the side of the ship (actually hanging in a harness) while painting the hull would also suggest that the gravity is aligned with how we see Red Dwarf on screen. Presumably the artificial gravity “leaks” a little outside the hull.

Dollar Pound

also you can’t show it erect on the tv. only in the dj xix logo

Nick R

I want to know what the Nivelo numbers are for the Diesel Decks.

GlenTokyo

Well, I think it’s meant to be full of the cargo bay, which according to BtE is about half a mile high and the length and width of the ship, a level entirely full of water, a vertical and dangerously badly designed prison (which presumably intersects everything), and a city in the middle for all the families of the miners that are never shown, didn’t the first two series suggest that was the case? Curry houses, huge botanical gardens, nightclubs and shopping centres, and all the plebs who actually run the ship are bunked up in little grey cells shitting in front of each other.

It’s certainly an odd one. Don’t think about it too hard, it doesn’t make any sense.

Plastic Percy

Interesting bit of trivia, I think it’s an interview in one of the Smegazines, but Grant Naylor’s original idea was that Red Dwarf would have been owened by a French company and so they intended to have all the signs and labels written in French – Niveau 592 for example.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.