New, mildly spoilery XII synopses copy-and-pasted within

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum New, mildly spoilery XII synopses copy-and-pasted within

This topic contains 84 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Part Three 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 85 posts - 1 through 85 (of 85 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

cwickham

The British Comedy Guide has sorted out its XII episode guide, and it seems they’ve been sent some official individual ep synopses because there’s new information in them.

Cured: “In the opening episode the Dwarfers search for some tech to fix Starbug’s faulty steering. They come across a Scientific Research Centre where several figures from history are recreated in the present and ‘cured’ of evil. Or are they?”
    Siliconia: “For the very first time, the rest of the crew discover just how it feels to be Kryten when they’re arrested by the Mechanoid Intergalactic Liberation Front.”
    Timewave: “The Dwarfers come across a ship where criticism is illegal.”
    Mechocracy: “When all the machines onboard Red Dwarf go on strike a Presidential election is held between Rimmer and Kryten to look after their rights.”
    M-Corp: “When the Dwarfers upload the latest software update they discover the Jupiter Mining Corporation, owners of Red Dwarf, have been bought by M Corp – a company that only allows products made by them to be visible to their employees.”
    Skipper: “Rimmer gets hold of a Quantum skipper and skips his way across the multi-verse looking for a dimension where he’s not such a giant loser.”

Me Own Stunts

So I’m presuming M-Corp is the one where they upgrade to iOS 11 and realise their devices can’t play 32-bit apps like the Monkey Island 1 and 2 Special Editions anymore, even though they paid for them with their own money.

Ben Saunders

Ooh, somebody guessed right for M-Corp. Interesting.

Also there was an interview with N*r**n *o**t* in which he confirmed which episode he’s in. I won’t say in cast it breaks the SPOILER POLICY. But it’s obvious, isn’t it?

Dave Wallace

Does he get cured of evil?

cwickham

Another thought: it looks like we’re returning to the idea that opened up such a can of worms in Series X, that the Jupiter Mining Corporation still has some influence on the Dwarfers’ lives.

I’d thought that the historical figures in Cured were actually taken out of time, not replicas. Quite interested to see what the twist is – is it just as straightforward as they’re not actually cured at all?

KyoSo

Those all sound really intriguing.

Phil

Five of them sure do. Mechocracy scares me.

Phil

I should note though that the synopsis for Krysis scared me, too, and that turned out great. So I’m a fucking idiot.

Hamish

Both Lemons and Krysis scared me before broadcast, and yet Lemons is my favourite from X and Krysis is in my top three for XI. So I am also a fucking idiot.

Hamish

Possibly even in my top two after Give & Take and duelling with Samsara. As you can see I am also an indecisive idiot.

KyoSo

I personally love Samsara. And I think Mechocracy will be great.

Dax101

Yeah Mechocracy is the one that worries me the most.

Just sounds like an excuse to have machines with all different personallities arguing with the crew as I feel like I seen that same sorta thing in X and XI.

It’s using the machines to make up for the lack of other personallities on the ship.

Warbodog

Has it been pointed out already that there’s a real-life rebel/terrorist group with the unfortunate ‘MILF’ abbreviation (including the ‘Liberation Front’ ending)? In the southern Philippines, where I live.

Doug et al seem to be proud of that joke, since it’s shown up in all iterations of the synopses so far. It’s no ‘CLITORIS.’

Pete Part Three

Mechrocracy isn’t to be worried about.

I’m far more concerned at the moment about the quite worrying thing that’s happening in TimeWave.

KyoSo

I just think the idea of Rimmer running a political campaign sounds potentially hilarious. Like, seriously potentially hilarious.

Dave Wallace

I agree. I think there’s plenty of comedy potential there.

si

I just think the idea of Rimmer running a political campaign sounds potentially hilarious. Like, seriously potentially hilarious.

The idea of an incompetent buffoon potentially being put in a position of power is ridiculous.

Ben Saunders

Prediction: It will be pretty funny but people will still find fault with it and armchair script editors will tell you how they would have so very obviously improved the show

(this can apply to every episode)

performingmonkey

Oh wow it seems Cured could turn out pretty controversial as well as ‘Timewave’……..

As for Mechocracy, it sounds straight-up fun and we’re all up for that, surely? :) Skipper is the kind of thing you would be sure the show had done before, seeing as it’s such a Dwarf-y idea, but nope they’ve never quite been there (the appearance of Ace is the closest, I guess), so I’m picking this, Siliconia and Mechocracy as the ones to look forward to. The others…..we’ll have to see! :o

cwickham

I have a very strong inkling as to who one of the historical figures is, and I really worry that it could turn out badly given everything that has happened in the world since recording.

SoundableObject

If it is Hitler than I doubt it could do any worse than what Preacher (Ackerman’s new show) has done recently with him.

Ben Saunders

R***t w*****s are still c***s, though, so we can still laugh at their expense, even if they’re in p***r

Darrell

To be fair, since early 2016, nothing has happened in the world to make Hitler any less dead or any less Hitler.

cwickham

I feel I should clarify that the actor playing the historical figure has had Red Dwarf on their CV ever since the show was recorded, including who he’s playing…

pi r squared

Oh wow it seems Cured could turn out pretty controversial

It is the one Andrew Ellard described before the shoot as potentially divisive. That said, it was the one I was in the audience for and I thought it was some of the best Dwarf I’d seen. I acknowledge that watching it live with hundreds of other RD fans can skew an opinion, but the set reports – both here and elsewhere – was all very positive. Plus, the feedback from those who saw the episode in Edinburgh is pretty positive too, although again I acknowledge that watching it on a big screen amongst hundreds of other RD fans can skew an opinion.

I am mostly confident that what we will have in two weeks’ time is one belter of an opener for the new series.

KyoSo

To be fair, since early 2016, nothing has happened in the world to make Hitler any less dead or any less Hitler.

Yeah, if anything we’re much further away from WWII than we were in 1989.

Dave Wallace

Although much closer to WWIII.

Ben Saunders

>Closer to WWIII than we were during the cold war

Granted I had to google when the cold war ended

KyoSo

I’m sorry, we were far closer to WWIII in the ’80s and especially the early ’60s. I’m not saying there aren’t tensions now, I’m saying the threat is microscopic compared to when tensions were high with the USSR. North Korera couldn’t nuke America if they tried.

Ben Saunders

The closest we’ve been (officially) to armageddon was the Cuban Missile Crisis, no?

North Korea couldn’t nuke America (and don’t seem to care about anywhere else) and America would be foolish to nuke North Korea, so right now it’s just sanctions and grandstanding.

Ben Saunders

My initial comment about WWIII should have been more clear that it was mocking the idea that we are closer to it now

Dave Wallace

My joke was based on the idea that if there eventually is a WWIII, we are literally closer to it now than we would have been in the past, simply because we’re further forward in time. It wasn’t meant as a political statement about current events.

Ben Saunders

What if WWIII involves time travel and is actually going to happen in the past in the future and we’re living in an aborted timeline?

Ridley

I prefer Wallace’s joke being a political statement about current events.

>’cured’ of evil. Or are they?

So that’s a no then, is it?

Dave Wallace

I prefer Wallace’s joke being a political statement about current events.

I am absolutely in favour of people interpreting it in the way they find funniest.

cwickham

Should the prospect of World War Three have continued after the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Dave Wallace

Why did you combine three World Wars into one though?

Jimboid

I know at least one of the evil historical figures as he’s being played by a friend from school.

He’s been a huge fan for years – many, many psi-moons ago I remember us playing Red Dwarf in the playground, so the whole experience has been very surreal for him. :)

Seb Patrick

I’m going to assume it’s the one who I also know to be a massive fan, unless more than one of them is!

He’s fantastic in the episode and I hope he gets the reception he deserves.

clem

> I remember us playing Red Dwarf in the playground

Adorable. Did you just act out scenes from the series or make up your own stuff?

Jimboid

> Adorable. Did you just act out scenes from the series or make up your own stuff?

Mainly just re-enacting the previous night’s episode (IV / V era) with the odd embellishment.

We wanted to perform Marooned for the school one Christmas but I think it was kiboshed by one of the teachers.

I’ve still got a photo of us doing the “Boys from the Dwarf” posse pose somewhere.

Warbodog

We wanted to perform Marooned for the school one Christmas but I think it was kiboshed by one of the teachers.

My extracurricular drama group was tasked with the opening bits of ‘Psirens’ (morale officer, etc), maybe because the teacher was a fan or just because it was the first thing in the Primordial Soup book. I was all for it, but it soon changed to Blackadder’s ‘Private Plane’ because someone was desperate to be Flashheart. I got to be Baldrick, at least.

Didn’t end up performing it, so it was just a group of 14-year-olds accurately playing Blackadder for 30 minutes a week.

Dave Wallace

At the same age, we did Blackadder’s ‘Corporal Punishment’. I transcribed the whole thing from tape.

(The only part my English teacher objected to was the bit about rogering the Duke of York with a prize-winning leek.)

Hamish

My brother did the whole “Archie Duke shot an ostrich ’cause he was hungry” bit from “Goodbyeee” in High School. Still the best scene Ben Elton wrote (well, co-wrote) outside of Inspector Grim’s Ism routine from Thin Blue Line.

And yes, it was the “‘Do you do it doggy-doggy?’ in Swahili” line that got the biggest laugh.

Seb Patrick

We had a thing as part of GCSE English where you had to perform five minutes of something in front of the rest of the class, in groups. We did the opening scene of Captain Cook. I lent somebody else my copy of Primordial Soup so they could do Marooned.

Our school also had an annual House Play competition where each of the four houses did a half-hour play in turn. The year I got to direct our house’s one, we did Bambi. I won Best Actor for my portrayal of Vyvyan. Obviously the ending represented a bit of a challenge, so we rewrote it to have the Footlights supporters storm the stage angrily, then suddenly veered into the “Oh, who cares” ending of Time instead.

Fun fact: the version of Bambi I had on video (and thus which we performed) completely omits the opening “Yellow Pages” conversation and goes straight to Neil arriving home. The Alexei monologue later on is shorter, too – it cuts off after “I never really wanted to be a train driver”. Which in hindsight is a shame, because we didn’t get to do the bit about perverse public school sexual practices while actually in public school.

I also have a definite memory of rehearsing Chains in the classroom but I have no idea if we actually performed it or whether the whole thing got called off. But another year – presumably inspired by our example – Michael Warren (sometimes of this parish) took up the reins for our house and did Goodbyeee.

Dave Wallace

What is it about Blackadder Goes Forth and school drama classes? I think between us few we’ve already covered almost every episode of the series.

I bet we all thought we were being really original and subversive, too.

Seb Patrick

>What is it about Blackadder Goes Forth and school drama classes?

It’s funny, appeals to smart-arsed middle-class kids, is likely one of the first “edgy” sitcoms our parents allowed us to watch, and is almost always set in small enclosed locations with a core cast of three or four people.

Dave Wallace

Plus, it’s got a historical angle so you can claim it’s educational.

Pete Part Three

Wibble.

Seb Patrick

>Plus, it’s got a historical angle so you can claim it’s educational.

And unless they were REALLY old-fashioned the teachers probably liked it too.

Dax101

UKTV Press Office twitter page just posted a picturing showing an article from SCI-FI NOW and if you zoom you can read some spoilers the cast give about the first episode and who the historical figures are.

Ben Saunders

I got me and one of my mates to act out a scene from Bad Dog and the Curse of the President’s Knee in the style of Malcolm in the Middle for a primary school talent show, but that’s not Red Dwarf related. I used the word thusly in an essay once because I heard Kryten say it.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Oh crikey, that is very spoilery indeed.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

So spoilery, in fact, that I’d like to request that it’s not quoted or mentioned on here. I’m going to pick up the mag after work and do a quick front page post about it, so discussion of these spoilers can be confined to that thread.

Pete Part Three

> in the style of Malcolm in the Middle for a primary school talent show, but that’s not Red Dwarf related

Linwood Boomer begs to differ.

CB3

The cutest thing ever was watching my two boys play Red Dwarf when they were little, pretending to fly a Starbug made out of chairs and cushions. The younger one didn’t really understand the game or why his older brother kept calling him a smeghead (he was the designated Rimmer, which amused me greatly).

As far as sneaking Red Dwarf into lessons goes, I did once attempt to translate several pages of Primordial Soup into Latin for a uni assignment. Ruber Nanus – that’s all I can remember!

Warbodog

>Plus, it’s got a historical angle so you can claim it’s educational.

I even had a question on a proper GCSE history practice exam paper that went something like “[Blackadder’s asthmatic act with heavy shopping quote.] Discuss.”

We covered the Regency era as well, which Blackadder is just as helpful for getting your head around, but it didn’t even get a mention. The Third just isn’t in the zeitgeist. Even if I couldn’t help casting Hugh Laurie as the stupid prince, and presumably will for life.

Hamish

> The Third just isn’t in the zeitgeist. Even if I couldn’t help casting Hugh Laurie as the stupid prince, and presumably will for life.

Blackadder II and Blackadder Goes Fourth are definitely the most accessible for people, but Blackadder the Third has really become a favourite of mine on rewatch. It just does not get as much attention due to the Regency era not being as well remembered as the time of Shakespeare or the First World War.

Having worked as a poll clerk and just being fascinated by the history and workings of parliamentary democracy in general makes “Dish and Dishonesty” a particular highlight for me. I still shout “Sausage!” from “Ink and Incapability” to the point of annoyance every chance I get though.

Oh wait, you mean this is not a Blackadder thread?

Pete Part Three

My favourite is BlackAdder the Third. Smartest plots and the best characterization of Edmund. Fuck the zeitgeist.

Seb Patrick

Third is the best series, comfortably.

Darrell

I would swap 1, 2 & 4 for six more episodes of The Third. In a heartbeat.

Dave Wallace

The second and third series are what I really grew up with (I had those VHSs before the others), and I think Third always felt strongest to me, not least because of Laurie (I love Queenie, but she doesn’t have as much comedy potential as the Prince).

Plus, giving Baldrick that slight extra push into stupidity created the most fun version of the character. And Edmund is that little bit more selfish and devious than the other Blackadders.

So yes, I think on balance Third is my favourite too.

Dave Wallace

Also, how have we discussed Third for this long without mentioning Chris Barrie?

Seb Patrick

Why have we combined separate Blackadder the Third opinions into one?

Dave Wallace

The thing is, the way I see it, these days there’s one opinion, right? And, ages ago, there were three opinions, right? So, there must have been a moment when there being three opinions went away, right? And there being one opinion came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?

Seb Patrick

Do you mean “How did we combine three separate people’s opinions into one though?”

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

I used to sneak the odd RD joke into drama classes. Biggest laugh I ever got was at Roverectomy (I can’t remember the exact context but we were doing “The Metamorphosis” and I managed to wedge something in about someone turning into a dog and needing an operation to turn him back again).

Dave Wallace

Do you mean “How did we combine three separate people’s opinions into one though?”

Yeah.

Seb Patrick

The combining of three separate people’s opinions into one started because of the vile jawscvmcdia and his villainous combining of three separate people’s opinions into one.

Hamish

Seb, at present the combining of three separate people’s opinions into one by other posters covers a quarter of the forum, while the amount combined by jawscvmcdia alone consists of small cluster of inane forum threads. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the combining of three separate people’s opinions into one front.

Hamish

My, that is a mouthful.

MANI506

I’m reading JE Robert’s Blackadder book after seeing @mumoss recommend it on twitter and I’m up to Blackadder 2. I think Richard Curtis’ observation ‘no matter how hard you try making a series of six, two are great, two are okay and two are weak’ applies to all the series. My besties would be Born To Be King, The Black Seal, Bells, Potato, Dish & Dishonesty, Duel and Dualbiity, Private Plane and Goodbyeee with a special mention for the Christmas Carol which I sometimes think is best of all.

clem

Yeah Christmas Carol is definitely one of the best. I like the first and third series best. “You ride a horse rather less well than another horse would.” from series one is one of the best Blackadder insults. Favourite version of the theme tune? Series three end credits, hands down.

Dave Wallace

Christmas Carol is brilliant, and stands up to rewatching better than maybe any other episode.

I know there’s been a reappraisal of the first series in recent years, and while I do like it, I still think it’s the weakest of the four main series. That’s pretty stiff competition to be up against though, and it’s still very good in its own right.

(And it might have the best supporting cast of all, if you count Laurie as part of the main cast in the last two series anyway).

Seb Patrick

Christmas Carol is a very beloved part of my annual December viewing rotation, yes. I think I like it more than anything from II, and a good chunk of Forth.

Anyway, relevant (in that it’s gained some traction and I did it as a result of this thread): https://twitter.com/sebpatrick/status/913389658117206017

MANI506

Do people think Back and Forth has got better with age? I don’t really, but I wonder if anyone does.

Pete Part Three

I’ve watched Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve (occasionally Christmas Morning if we fall asleep watching it) for the last twenty years or so. It puts most sitcom Christmas specials to shame.

The BlackAdder; there are moments I like, but I can’t say I’d enthusiastically sing the praises of any single episode in that run. Rik Mayall as Mad Gerald, Tim McInnerny as Percy, and Jim Broadbent as Don Speekingleesh are the only performances that seem true to the BlackAddder I love.

Dave Wallace

To be honest I think I’ve only watched it the once. I’ve never felt the desire to go back to it. I often forget it even exists.

Dave Wallace

The BlackAdder; there are moments I like, but I can’t say I’d enthusiastically sing the praises of any single episode in that run.

Everyone always seems to pick out The Queen Of Spain’s Beard, but for me The Archbishop is the standout. The relics scene is maybe the high point of the series.

Pete Part Three

>Do people think Back and Forth has got better with age? I don’t really, but I wonder if anyone does

I recall seeing it in the Dome in about August 2000. I was very eager to see it after 8+ months of anticpation, and then sat in the theatre, desperate to laugh at something, anything. And then a slow sinking feeling as it goes through the motions but never really does anything particularly interesting. The lack of a studio audience leads it with an odd atmosphere.

BaF’s Edmund seems just a little too world weary for me; even more so than “Goes Forth” Edmund. He seems to have lost his edge. It sound a bit bizarre; but I don’t quite believe in that Baldrick either. It just doesn’t seem right for the (eve of the) 21st century.

It doesn’t quite hang together and the “Bill and Ted” plot just seems an excuse for a bunch of sketches rather than a satisfying plot.

Miranda Richardson’s performance also seems a bit “off”.

Great music from Howard, mind.

MANI506

I will include Back and Forth in my next rewatch and then immediately watch Blackadder Rides Again. The Black Adder was a bit like series 1 of Red Dwarf for me in that it was the series that I watched last and which had a lot of mystery surrounding it.

Lily

I’d never even heard of the first series until I got the box set. I think it’s one of those things that it’s quite enjoyable, if you un-pin it from the rest of the shows. As a stand alone show it’s still funny, just not ‘Blackadder’ as we know it.

Unfortunately my set only had the main shows on it, so I’m woefully ignorant about any of the specials.

Dave Wallace

Has anyone seen the original pilot for The Black Adder? I’ve seen small clips of it but never the whole thing. I know it’s available floating around but I don’t think it ever had an official release.

Ben Paddon

IIRC< UK Gold were slated to air it as part of an anniversary night, and then suddenly changed their minds and didn’t.

Pete Part Three

Yeah, it occasionally pops up on YouTube. It’s actually more like the show it would later become, but it’s pretty ropey.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 85 posts - 1 through 85 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.