Oh, you know what’s just hit me about Tikka to Ride?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Oh, you know what’s just hit me about Tikka to Ride?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisM 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Ben Paddon

The episode opens with Lister explaining away the cliffhanger. That is, in itself, not the annoyance, but get this – he explains that their future selves killing their past selves cancelled the event out and so the two realities have merged to cope with the paradox.

Later, in the same episode, they pull Jeff K from the future to assassinate himself. All that happens? The now-deceased President fades out of existence and the assassination occurs as history remembers it. Yet surely, using the logic from the opening spiel, Kennedy should have survived because of the temporal paradox. Also, reality would be even more frayed at the edges because now it has two paradoxes to deal with.

Also the Time Drive has changed and is now shit.

Andrew

Waaaaay ahead of you. By years.

SoundableObject

The merging of the two realities caused the laws of time to change.

Rad

Yeah, when I figured this out in 2001 I was sure to keep quiet. :)

The other problem with Series VII is that at some point, seemingly after Series VIII because the characters should have at least referenced it in Series VII, we have to have a nine month period where Kochanski is pregnant with Baby Lister, at the end of which Present Lister has to go back in time to the Aigburth Arms and put him under the pool table. Given that Kochanski seems to be absent in the Dave special, I’m a bit worried this incredibly important part of the timeline may have been forgotten.

NitroChrisUK

this came up on a topic a week or so ago .. yep .. apparently 18 months pass in ouroporus yet in the next episode there still treating kochanski as a newbie and the jfk thing is messed up

Ben Paddon

“Fill this up. It’s a self- gamet-mixing in-vitro tube. I’m… already in there, it just needs your… contribution.”

And, because it’s the future, why should it take nine months for a machine to grow a baby?

SoundableObject

>And, because it?s the future, why should it take nine months for a machine to grow a baby?

Isn’t there a caption saying “9 months later”? I’m pretty sure there it one.

Seb Patrick

Yeah, we had a LENGTHY conversation about this on here just a couple of weeks back ;-) It’s my pet gripe about what I think is otherwise a pretty darned good episode.

And I’m afraid that you get a slap, Ben, for giving away the fact that you DON’T LISTEN TO DWARFCASTS, or you would have heard me going on about it for a full half-an-hour on our Tikka commentary. Two years ago ;-)

Seb Patrick

Oh, and we mention it in this, too.

YOU FAIL AT BEING A G&T READER.

Ben Paddon

I read/listened to those ages ago. You expect them to stick out in my memory?

Pete Part Three

Yeah, fuck merging realities, let’s merge the forum threads.

peas_and_corn

Has anyone noticed that Red Dwarf looks different in series VIII compared to the earlier ones?

Carlito

Has anyone noticed that Red Dwarf has a lot of plotholes and inconsistencies?

Seriously!

Carlito

And when the ship is resurrected, where’s the original Kochanski?? There should be two Kochanskis!

And Lister had his appendix out… TWICE!

(Actually, if the new episodes are a celebration of all things Dwarf, featuring a cornucopia of ‘old favourites’ like Duane Dibbley, Ace Rimmer and the Kinitawowi (sp?),maybe we’ll see Lister have his appendix removed again, for old times sake? I’d like to see it.)

peas_and_corn

What happened to the plot inconsistencies project?

Dave

>What happened to the plot inconsistencies project?

It was removed for a second time.

Mr Flibble

I remember trying to update it, I think during the Observation Dome days, and we basically got told to fuck off by people connected to the people that originally created it.

Ben Paddon

I had planned to incorporate elements of the PIP into my RD Guide, which I might be reviving if I have the time to build a slightly-less-tedeous-than-manually-editing-HTML-pages method.

Hmm… a fishbowl wiki might work…

cliff

Later, in the same episode, they pull Jeff K from the future to assassinate himself. All that happens? The now-deceased President fades out of existence and the assassination occurs as history remembers it. Yet surely, using the logic from the opening spiel, Kennedy should have survived because of the temporal paradox. Also, reality would be even more frayed at the edges because now it has two paradoxes to deal with.

Also the Time Drive has changed and is now shit.>

Good point but i think you have far too much time on your hands, ever considered taking up bowling or needlecraft?…

Seb Patrick

I remember trying to update it, I think during the Observation Dome days, and we basically got told to fuck off by people connected to the people that originally created it.

See, I still don’t see how they somehow have exclusive rights to that sort of thing. Yes, okay, they can request that their original document not be amended – but they can’t stop someone else doing something entirely separate called, I don’t know, the “Plot Problems Project” that just happens to cover the stuff that they didn’t.

Anyway : the upcoming “Documents” section should restore the various lists of miscellany that used to be on Old G&T. We may also include the likes of the old ATVRD FAQ, the PIP and the QAQ, but it probably depends on whether their creators are likely to get pissy (the normal assumption would be that people would be happy to see their work given a permanent home, but ATVRD are a strange lot).

Pete Part Three

Which website was it that closed with an arsey parting short at Red Dwarf and its fans?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Red Dwarf World. Can’t seem to find it online any more…

Phil

>Which website was it that closed with an arsey parting short at Red Dwarf and its fans?

http://www.normanlovett.co.uk/

Seb Patrick

9/10

Ben Paddon

A+ Distinction.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Excellent

Phil

I nominate Phil’s post for Hall of Fame status.

Pete Part Three

I think it would show up all the other posts in the Hall of Fame. It was that good.

CleverAndKnowsIt

The eighteen months passing in Ouroboros need not be a problem. It is possible that since they were still looking for Red Dwarf they went into deep sleep at the time and so when they woke up (maybe eighteen months later, or maybe Lister woke up early) Kochanski was still new from all their points of view.

Ben Paddon

I still think it was a “Ta-dah!” birth caused by technology.

ChrisM

>I still think it was a ?Ta-dah!? birth caused by technology.

That’s what I thought too. I figured that the events ’18 months later’ happened after some of the later episodes. That baby Listy was essentially cooking away (so to speak) in an artificial womb hidden away somewhere. I would assume he was returned to Earth before Epideme since Epideme and Nanarchy are set directly one after the other and lead directly into series 8.

On the other hand, if the invitro container and time-drive had survived the crash they could even have happened during series 8 (I doubt it would be after, as it seems to cover several months time) but I think that would be stretching things too far taking into account their imprisonment, etc. Somewhere in the period between Series 7 episode 2 and Epideme it is then, likely later rather than earlier.

Tarka Dal

*Vague hazy memory time*

Waaaaaaay back. Doug said he had a full explaination for why the time-drive is now different and basically all the who, what, why and what have you about Tikka.

I think it was around the time Series 8 lauched, although I’m not certain, that he did a live web-chat for the BBC. He said at the end he’d expected to be grilled by fans about it, and so had a complete explanation ready. Then no one asked about it!

Andrew

I think he was kidding. Though I suspect any explanation would include reference to ‘dimensional anomalies’ – since there’s no reason that Starbug would be the only thing affected by this, erm, ‘fantastical’ turn of events.

Tarka Dal

Well maybe. Since no one bothered to ask the question we’ll never know.

peas_and_corn

I think an interferometric pulse changed the properties of the drive

SoundableObject

Poetic Licence.

Dave

Noetic Licence

ChrisM

Kryten was wrong in series 6 and hadn’t figured out the spatial settings for the drive then.

That’s probably the easiest explanation… (and the one Ed Bye mentioned on the series 7 DVD) although the confusing time stuff is probably more in keeping with Lister’s monologue.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.