“Pete” shouldn’t have been a 2-parter: “Only the Good” should have

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum “Pete” shouldn’t have been a 2-parter: “Only the Good” should have

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jason aka Smeg4Brains 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Antipodean

It’s occurred to me that while Pete is quite clearly stretched out to fit two episodes (basketball match, “see you in ten minutes”, etc), “Only the Good” seems condensed. I reckon it would have worked better as two episodes, preferably with the original (happy) ending too.

They could’ve ended the first episode with the Starbug-and-Blue-Midget fleet evacuating Red Dwarf – go into more detail about their escape plan and other things. The second episode would be really much improved over the real version, mainly because Kochanski wouldn’t just pull the mirror universe idea out of her arse – also, it’d give them a chance to show more of the mirror Red Dwarf and mirror crew. Finally, the ending (which is the happy ending, remember) would be able to be more complete, such as explaining what happened to all the other prisoners.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

That was the original intention, was it not? From what I gather Only the Good would have had a second part called Earth which would have finally brought an end to the misery of the series. Budget limitations meant having to make the “most” of the CGI dinosaur they’d already paid for though.

See how I put the word “most” in inverted commas there? Brilliant I am.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

Wasn’t ‘Earth’ supposed to have been a special that never happened?

Antipodean

> That was the original intention, was it not? From what I gather Only the Good would have had a second part called Earth which would have finally brought an end to the misery of the series.

I got the impression that the “Only the Good” story, mirror universe and all, would’ve been part 1 and “Earth” would have been a different story about what happens after. I think they could have made a two-parter purely out of “Only the Good”.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

Wasn?t ?Earth? supposed to have been a special that never happened?

No, it was supposed to be the last episode of VIII.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

So how come it never happened?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> So how come it never happened?

As ‘That’s a bucket’ said, it was budget limitations. The money had already been shat on the Dinosaur and the Dancing Blue Midget, so there was none there for Earth.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

Although I do wonder (that is wonder, mind you – I don’t know) whether the crash sequence would have been possible even without the dancing Midgets and dino stuff. Crashing into landmarks is far more ambitious than either of the other two sequences put together…

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Yeah, but you know that it would’ve been a fucking amazing ending. But does leave the question hanging. Would these landmarks still exist 3,000,000 years down the line?

peas_and_corn

Maybe they would all be on one beach, like in Futurama- it’ll make it easier to destroy them all

performingmonkey

Methinks any possible future Dwarf special/series will end with what Doug had originally planned for ‘Earth’. But personally I’d rather it didn’t end there. I would have them landing/crashing on Earth and they somehow inadvertently destroy it (in a comedy fashion), the Dwarf is also destroyed and they only just escape in a Starbug. They get a bit depressed because they’ve got no goal anymore, nowhere to go, but then Lister gives one of the good speeches they used to write for him (like in Meltdown) and the series ends on a sort of ‘let’s see what’s out there’ note, with the prospect of Lister and Kochanski restarting the human race on another planet (she’s possibly pregnant at the end).

I don’t like it when series’ end with a big full stop. There should be a sense that the comedy (or drama) is going to continue but you just won’t see it. The end of Father Ted is like that. It would have been really crap if it had ended with Ted actually going to America and leaving the rest of them. Instead he stays with Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle forever and ever and ever and ever etc. and that’s how it should be. A lot of American shows, comedy or otherwise, have cheesy endings where the characters go their seperate ways, it just makes you feel like shit. Or maybe that’s just me.

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

> with the prospect of Lister and Kochanski restarting the human race on another planet

But for that to occur incest must take place.

But I suppose it was incest when Lister shagged Katchanski when they were going out because she’s his mum……and he still tries to get some off her when he finds out.

Anonymous

Hello! I need to know who is this man on the pictures.
    This man wanted

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

> Hello! I need to know who is this man on the pictures.

Oh….that man? That’s…….YO MOMMA!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.