‘Red Dwarf- Animated’…New Online Series

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum ‘Red Dwarf- Animated’…New Online Series

This topic contains 306 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Carlito 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 307 posts - 1 through 307 (of 307 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

karcreat

…Being created by fans for the fans!

Have a look at the opening credits for series one, and some partial test animation…

http://www.youtube.com/RedDwarfAnimated

-K

Blisschick

I’m actually kind of impressed.

littlesmegger

The voice acting may not be perfect [although Lister ain’t that bad!], but both the animation and the food gag were done rather well! For the sake of supporting a fan product I’ll be keeping my eye on this…

Plastic Percy

I actually let out a bit of a chuckle at the Hot Dog gag. I’m impressed. Keep up the good work.

TheLeen

That wasn’t bad at all.

And I was impressed with the voice acting, actually.

Ben Paddon

Voice acting aside, that was pretty funny.

si

Voice wise, Lister was best. Why Duff beer though?

Seb Patrick

Hmm, I didn’t think Lister was that good – just ‘cos it was Scouse doesn’t mean it sounded like Lister. I thought Cat was quite good, actually.

The hot dog gag punchline was nice, but the pacing of the setup could do with improvement. Interesting, though, I’ll be watching out to see what else you come up with.

Ben Paddon

Lister’s line “Kryten, I knooooooow” really bugged me. The first time I watched it I had to stop. It made me cringe.

Stabbim the Skutter

Wow, very very good. Leaps and bounds ahead of the attempt I made at a Red Dwarf animation. :p I can’t wait to see the finished product! (and can do voice acting if you’re interested. I’ve got a high-ish quality mic)

karcreat

Can you do a good Rimmer?…;)

(Hell, ANYONE here…if you are a voice actr, and are willing to help out, please drop me a line at…

kkarstens@cableone.net

…and thank you ALL for your support and interest!

K

Ben Paddon

As previously stated, my Kryten is supposedly very good. My Rimmer, on the other hand, isn’t so much an imitation of Chris Barrie as it is an embodiment of the character. Or so I’m told.

karcreat

Could you email me a few samples, (WAV, etc) of each character (Rimmer and Kryten), reading some of the lines from the attatched script (below)?

This is the rough draft for our test ‘pilot’ for the animated series…

‘Timehole’

After title sequence, we open on a shot of STARBUG, zooming to camera, R to L.

CUT inside to interior, Kryten and Lister seated.

KRYTEN- Sir, it…it just DOESN’T make SENSE!

LISTER- Kryten, I KNOW…

KRYTEN- I mean, WHY would they DO such a thing?!

LISTER- Kryten, you just have to accept that that’s the way it IS…

KRYTEN- But who perpetrated this cruel hoax? WHY is it ALLOWED to continue??!

LISTER- Krytes, if you want to fit in with humans, you have to learn to ACCEPT illogical things in life…

KRYTEN- It’s just so EVIL! So downright WRONG!

LISTER- But that’s the WAY IT IS. Hot dogs are sold 10 to a pack, and buns are 8 to a pack! You have to simply accept illogical facts like that if you want to blend in once we reach Earth!

RIMMER- Oh yes, because a faux paus in the the area of hot dogs to buns ratios will make him stand out, not the fact that his head looks like a mound of Silly Putty that’s been left out in the sun for a fortnight.

Suddenly CAT pops his head in from the front of STARBUG…

CAT- I hate to interupt this deep discussion of life, the universe and everything…but we have a ‘Swirly Thing Alert’ situation!

LISTER- Cat, how many times have I told you? You need to be more specific than that! I mean, how are we supposed to know what the smeg you are talkin’ about, unless you give us a more DETAILED
    description of what it IS out there?!

CAT- Sorry, Bud.

LISTER- I mean, every time there’s something ODD out there, YOU come back and tell us ‘It’s a SWIRLY thing’ or a ‘GLOWING thing’ or a ‘PULSATING thing’…do you see a pattern here?

CAT- Yeah, of course I do! You like to YELL at me a lot!

LISTER rolls his eyes in exasperation.

CAT- Maybe ya better come see for yourself…!

LISTER, KRYTEN and RIMMER join CAT in the COCKPIT.

LISTER- Will ya look at that! What is it, Krytes?

SHOT out of the front of STARBUG, a massive rotating mass of color.

KRYTEN- Best guess, I would say it’s some sort of vortex, a massive rupture in the space time continuum, leading somewhere where time and logic have NO MEANING!

CAT- Oh, great…a doorway to the Bush Administration!

LISTER- What’s that? Looks like something just roared out of the center!

RIMMER- Incoming, at two ten!

CUT to shot of a radar screen, a small blip moving across it to the center.

KRYTEN- Interesting! The vortex seems to have spit out a object of some sort, headed directly for us!

LISTER- Do a security scan, see if it’s safe to bring aboard.

KRYTEN- Right away, Sir!

DISSOLVE to the group, all seated around a table…Lister is holding a small cannister, about a foot long.

LISTER- So this is it?

KRYTEN- Yes, Sir…an object from the late 20th century, according to Starbug’s carbon dating software…apparently it contains a pilot…

CAT- A PILOT? In THAT little thing? What’s he gonna steer, the ‘Billy Barty’ party ship?

KRYTEN- No, no Sir…a PILOT…a videotaped episode for a potential television series.

LISTER- Then why does it have these ‘warning’ messages on the exterior?

SHOT of the CANNISTER in LISTERS grip…it reads ‘CAUTION- Potential Danger- View at Own Risk’.

LISTER- I say we go for it…I mean, how bad can it be?

DISSOLVE to STARBUG cabin w/ large wall sized video monitor, CAT, LISTER and RIMMER seated. KRYTEN stands next to the video player in the wall, tape in hand.

KRYTEN- Are you SURE about this, mister Lister?

LISTER- I was BORN sure, Kryten…pop it in!

CUT to the static ridden screen, which goes to black…then the video fades in. It’s the ‘RED DWARF USA’ pilot. We see a few seconds of a selected scene.

CUT to LISTER, CAT, RIMMER…all looking utterly HORRIFIED.

CUT to KRYTEN, eyes bugged out… his head EXPLODES.

THE END.

Plastic Percy

Cat’s quip about the Bush Administration is wrong for his character. Remember, this is the sort of guy who is completely uninterested in anything except his clothes, his hair and eating.

Plus, the joke’s been done to death. Yeah, yeah Bush is an idiot, blah, blah, Iraq War. It’s too much of a ‘now’ joke for ‘Red Dwarf’.

If you want to keep it in though, give it to Rimmer or Kryten. They’re the sort to know their history and politics.

Also, the Billy Barty joke is too obscure and again wrong for Cat.

karcreat

Please suggest some alternate lines rather than just a comment about how the ones you mentioned ‘don’t work’, it would really be appreciated as I am very new to ‘writing’ anything…;)

My only other two attempts at writing a ‘script’ were admittedley well receieved, but I have no problem admitting this is all VERY new to me!

My other two ‘scripts’ can be seen here…

‘Family Guy’ Chicken’s Lair (Dragon’s Lair spoof)….
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712Lc5JIE5A

Venture Brothers Imaginary Minisode, ‘Lam-Pooned!’

PT 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOAYou7Bpjs

PT 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijUy6GhXuB8

Thanks!

K

Mr Flibble

Please suggest some alternate lines rather than just a comment about how the ones you mentioned ?don?t work?, it would really be appreciated as I am very new to ?writing? anything?;)

Shall we eat your dinner for you too?

TheLeen

Complaining is a lot easier than being constructive, I know I know.

karcreat, I don’t know the last thing about writing comedy so I can’t help. Also, I’m trying not to read the script. I’d rather see the finished thing, ho ho. Loved the trailer!

karcreat

Shall we eat your dinner for you too?

If its hard to chew…yes, please…I’m old and bent, my teeth are grizzled…;)

As I mentioned, I am not a writer, Im new to this…that entire script (above) was literally ‘off the top of my head’, based on an idea I had, that was it…I suspect that there are a LOT better writers here on this very forum, and I would MORE than appreciate any assistance with this that might be offered…after all, this whole project is meant to be ‘by fans, FOR fans’.

Thanks in advance…

K

karcreat

Cat?s quip about the Bush Administration is wrong for his character. Remember, this is the sort of guy who is completely uninterested in anything except his clothes, his hair and eating.

Good point.
    Ok, so we need to make the line a reference to ‘a doorway’ to someplace where time and logic have no meaning…how about changing it to ‘Oh, great! A doorway to BBC Four!’

Also, the Billy Barty joke is too obscure and again wrong for Cat.

Hmmm…well, it still needs to be a line COMING FROM Cat, as he is the one ‘confused’ by the term ‘pilot’…so how about changing it to something more simplistic, like ‘A PILOT? In THAT little thing? What?s he gonna steer, the ?Oompa Loompa’ party ship?’

What do you think?

K
    PS…Your avatar RULES, Sir…I’m a confessed MST3K-aholic, Forrester was just misunderstood, DAMMIT!…;)

Carlito

> Cat?s quip about the Bush Administration is wrong for his character. Remember, this is the sort of guy who is completely uninterested in anything except his clothes, his hair and eating.

>> Good point. Ok, so we need to make the line a reference to ?a doorway? to someplace where time and logic have no meaning?how about changing it to ?Oh, great! A doorway to BBC Four!?

Why not just something a bit simpler and punchier, like a dumb country. That’s not out of keeping with Red Dwarf lines from the past (“welsh fish and chip shop”/”Albanian shepherd” etc) I’d change the line to Rimmer though.

Hmm. How bout…
    ———————————————————————————–
    KRYTEN- Best guess, I would say it?s some sort of vortex, a massive rupture in the space time continuum allowing objects to pass through it into a different plane of reality.
    CAT- Wait a second, bud. You telling me that thing is some kinda magic doorway?
    KRYTEN- In a way, sir, yes. Probably leading to somewhere where time and logic have no meaning, where reason and reality is distorted beyond all human comprehension!
    CAT- What’s he saying, helipad head?
    RIMMER- It’s a doorway into your mind.
    CAT- Great!
    LISTER- Ignore ‘im, Cat. Woah… what’s that? …
    ———————————————————————————–

Plastic Percy

Cheers,

I think the Oompa Loompa line might work better. Well, Oompa Loompa or Munchkin.

Again, I think the BBC Four joke is a little too ‘now’ and Cat wouldn’t have any idea about it. Yes, I know Kryten made a similar joke about Channel 5 during the 10th Anniversary Smeg-Ups, but C5 is just a universal joke. Perhaps something like “A doorway to a shell suit/flares convention?” or something similar might work. Not that I profess to know the first thing about scriptwriting.

P.S. – Cheers for the MST3K appreciation, Dr. Forrester was by far the best Mad. “Push the Button, Frank!”

Carlito

After coming over all Red Dwarfy after Back To Earth, I wrote a full length Dwarf script titled “Tiresias”. No idea why or what I expected to do with it. Guess I just wanted to dip my hand back into writing after a long break of being a full-time braindead employee. Wonder if Doug ever accepts spec scripts…

then again if anyone ever fancies animating a whole half hour episode… :D

hummingbird

I like it.
    Sure, the voices aren’t perfect … but not bad, not bad at all.

Nice work. Looking forward to more.

Almighty_crj

Try these:

LISTER- Hey, Get a load of this! What the smeg is it, Krytes?

CAT- There’s plenty of time. It’s only one o’clock now!
    KRYTEN- Interesting! The vortex seems to have spat out a object of some sort, headed directly for us!
    RIMMER: Ah, so that’s what happened to that carton of Lister’s curry I flushed out of the airlock.

KRYTEN- Yes, Sir? this pod contains an object, from the late 20th century according to Starbug?s carbon dating software?apparently the pod contains a pilot?

CAT- A PILOT? In THAT little thing? Who the hell volunteered? The Incredible Shrinking Man?
    ________________________________________________________________________________

(While it may be obscure reference to an audience, Lister is a bit of a movie buff and we know they watch films together. In addition its unlikely that the 20th century sent the film into space so I made sure the spacial carrier wasn’t referenced date wise.)

LISTER- I say we go for it?I mean, how bad can it be?
    Rimmer stares daggers at him silently.

karcreat

CAT- There?s plenty of time. It?s only one o?clock now!
    KRYTEN- Interesting! The vortex seems to have spat out a object of some sort, headed directly for us!
    RIMMER: Ah, so that?s what happened to that carton of Lister?s curry I flushed out of the airlock.

MUUUCH better, thanks!!!

LOVE the silly ‘plenty of time’ line from Cat!

CAT- A PILOT? In THAT little thing? Who the hell volunteered? The Incredible Shrinking Man?

EXCELLENT!!!…;)

Thank you!

K

karcreat

After coming over all Red Dwarfy after Back To Earth, I wrote a full length Dwarf script titled ?Tiresias?. No idea why or what I expected to do with it. Guess I just wanted to dip my hand back into writing after a long break of being a full-time braindead employee.

Would you perhaps be interested in writing up some 10-15 min scripts, based on concepts we have for series one?

Example: Cat seems to be overly addicted to using the Virtual Reality software on Starbug, in particular, playing out ‘superheo’ roles (a scene from this potential story can be seen in the animated opening credits, Cat in the ‘Catman’ suit, holding the electric cables, etc) and the gang is worried about him…we thought that a REAL emrgency might somehow come about, and Cat suddenly has to truly be the ‘hero’, or something…basically, thats all we have, we just liked the ‘Cat as a Superhero’ base for a story, and we need writers to fill in the plot aspects…you don’t even need to add the jokes and so on, we can attempt that part…we could use storyline elements, tho…;)

K

Ben Paddon

As stated in my email, once I am marginally less dead I will be happy to record my voice for you to use as a form of techno-voodoo.

Carlito

I can throw you a 10 minute script or two when I get a chance.

karcreat

Thanks to everyone so far for all your input and assistance…keep it coming, we appreciate it!

Just so you know, too…we have launched a ‘Red Dwarf- Animated’ website!

http://www.karcreat.com/RedDwarfAnimated.html

…a few of the links work (including the ‘Goodies’ one, where you can snag some RD games and screensavers) and as soon as I hear back from everyone involved, the ‘Who Are We?’ section will be finished, along with the rest.

Thanks Again!

-K

Ben Paddon

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET CIRCA 1997.

karcreat

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET CIRCA 1997

????

K

ChrisM

The front page looks fine to me.

Who is the guy in the glasses in Rimmer’s place though? In front of the Poly-

Oh wait the penny just dropped after I typed that. Rimmer after suckage. Gotcha.

I’ll get my coat.

karcreat

LOL!!!

No, don’t grab that coat, man…stay a bit…;)

Thanks for the kind words, RE, the site set up…I guess it just aint fancy enough for some, but honestly, I loathe those websites with huge graphics and adverts, animations that take an eon to load, etc, etc…simple works fine in my book…;)

Thanks again…

-K

karcreat

As stated in my email, once I am marginally less dead I will be happy to record my voice for you to use as a form of techno-voodoo.

Just now noted this post from you..(sorry…’DUH’ on my part!…;)

Hope you are feelin’ better by the time you read this (I had something pretty similar to deal with last week, sore assed throat, lots of ‘donkey bray’ coughing…ACK!…took a week or so to get better, so I know where you are comin’ from) as we are looking forward to hearin’ your Rimmer…;)

Take care, man!

K

karcreat

Just added a section on the website concerning ‘contributions’ for those interested…

Thanks in advance!

K

Carlito

Noticed your other video… my suggestion: don’t put canned laughter on it. It’s presumptuous and distracting.

lego7770

We bowed to youtube opinion on that one :) Did you get my email yesterday?

P

Carlito

No, rarely check my e-mails coz theyre mainly junk. I’ll take a peek in a bit.

karcreat

Hey Everyone…

Wanted to first thank everyone quite sincerley for the help that has been offered here so far…it’s one of the cool aspects of doing a fan based project like this, I think, in that you get feedback that can really improve the outcome, and make it something the fans will dig…;)

Ok, speaking of which, here’s the revised script for our ‘mini-pilot’ test episode, with some of the best suggestions replacing the weaker, initial stuff I threw out there…lemme know what ya think!

‘Time Hole’

After Opening Titles, we fade in on a shot of STARBUG, zooming to camera, L to R.

CUT inside to interior, Kryten and Lister seated.

KRYTEN- Sir, it…it just DOESN’T make SENSE!

LISTER- Kryten, I KNOW…

KRYTEN- I mean, WHY would they DO such a thing?!

LISTER- Kryten, you just have to accept that that’s the way it IS…

KRYTEN- But who perpetrated this cruel hoax? WHY is it ALLOWED to continue??!

LISTER- Krytes, if you want to fit in with humans, you have to learn to ACCEPT illogical things in life…

KRYTEN- It’s just so EVIL! So downright WRONG!

LISTER- But that’s the WAY IT IS. Hot dogs are sold 10 to a pack, and buns are 8 to a pack! You have to simply accept illogical facts like that if you want to blend in once we reach Earth!

RIMMER- Oh yes, because a faux paus in the the area of hot dogs to buns ratios will make him stand out, not the fact that his head looks like a mound of Silly Putty that’s been left out in the sun for a fortnight.

Suddenly CAT pops his head in from the front of STARBUG…

CAT- I hate to interupt this deep discussion of life, the universe and everything…but we have a ‘Swirly Thing Alert’ situation!

LISTER- Cat, how many times have I told you? You need to be more specific than that! I mean, how are we supposed to know what the smeg you are talkin’ about, unless you give us a more DETAILED description of what it IS out there?!

CAT- Sorry, Bud.

LISTER- I mean, every time there’s something ODD out there, YOU come back and tell us ‘It’s a SWIRLY thing’ or a ‘GLOWING thing’ or a ‘PULSATING thing’…do you see a pattern here?

CAT- Yeah, of course I do! You like to YELL at me a lot!

LISTER rolls his eyes in exasperation.

CAT- Maybe ya better come see for yourself…!

LISTER, KRYTEN and RIMMER join CAT in the COCKPIT.

LISTER- Will ya look at that! What is it, Krytes?

SHOT out of the front of STARBUG, a massive rotating mass of color.

KRYTEN- Best guess, I would say it?s some sort of vortex, a massive rupture in the space time continuum allowing objects to pass through it into a different plane of reality.

CAT- Wait a second, bud. You telling me that thing is some kinda magic doorway?

KRYTEN- In a way, sir, yes. Probably leading to somewhere where time and logic have no meaning, where reason and reality is distorted beyond all human comprehension!

CAT- What?s he saying, helipad head?

RIMMER- It?s a doorway into your mind.

LISTER- Ignore ?im, Cat. Woah? what?s that??Looks like something just roared out of the center!

CAT- What’s the rush, then? There?s plenty of time. It?s only one o?clock now!

KRYTEN- Interesting! The vortex seems to have spit out a object of some sort, headed directly for us!

LISTER- Do a security scan, see if it’s safe to bring aboard.

KRYTEN- Right away, Sir!

DISSOLVE to the group, all seated around a table…Lister is holding a small cannister, about a foot long.

LISTER- So this is it?

KRYTEN- Yes, Sir…an object from the late 20th century, according to Starbug’s carbon dating software…apparently it contains a pilot…

CAT- A PILOT? In THAT little thing? Who the hell volunteered? ‘The Incredible Shrinking Man’?

KRYTEN- No, no Sir…a PILOT…a videotaped episode for a potential television series.

LISTER- Then why does it have these ‘warning’ messages on the exterior?

SHOT of the CANNISTER in LISTERS grip…it reads ‘CAUTION- Potential Danger- View at Own Risk’.

LISTER- I say we go for it…I mean, how bad can it be?

DISSOLVE to STARBUG cabin w/ large wall sized video monitor, CAT, LISTER and RIMMER seated. KRYTEN stands next to the video player in the wall, tape in hand.

KRYTEN- Are you SURE about this, mister Lister?

LISTER- I was BORN sure, Kryten…pop it in!

CUT to the static ridden screen, which goes to black…then the video fades in. It’s the ‘RED DWARF USA’ pilot. We see a few seconds of a selected scene.

CUT to LISTER, CAT, RIMMER…all looking utterly HORRIFIED.

CUT to KRYTEN, eyes bugged out… his head EXPLODES.

THE END.

Dave

I thought hot dogs were sold 8 to a pack, and buns were 6 to a pack.

Pete Part Three

karcreat

Dave:

Nope…the ratio is 8 to 10, standardly…love your ‘Scary Door’ avatar, by the way!…;)

K

karcreat

Hey Everyone!…;)

We’ve added the Series One episode descriptions/outlines to the RDA website…just look under ‘Episodes and Outlines’…let us know what you think…

Thanks again!

K

lego7770

Ben glad to hear your voice is better, look forward to hearing it :)

P

Seb Patrick

>Nope?the ratio is 8 to 10, standardly?

Maybe in America… but Lister isn’t American.

Here, a tin of Princes hot dogs has eight sausages in it, and buns come in packs of six.

Ben Paddon

But how many dollarpounds do they cost?

karcreat

Maybe in America? but Lister isn?t American.

Here, a tin of Princes hot dogs has eight sausages in it, and buns come in packs of six.

LOL!…;)

Might have to get Pete, the resident of the UK on the project, to look into this, then!

Thanks!
    K

lego7770

We?re talking about packs, and the only REAL hot dog is Herta and they are sold 10 to a pack. Unless you buy jumbo, as I did the other week and well worth the added expense. But Jumbos are sold 4 to a pack.

Dave

>Might have to get Pete, the resident of the UK on the project, to look into this, then!

Get him to watch Ant Muzak as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ58dz_HRsM#t=0m51s

lego7770

I?m Pete BTW?..Wow there is some of the best British talent in that vid??..How come I?ve never seen it before. Thanks for letting me know about this one ?

Sadly I spent the afternoon shopping with my family, all I could find was herta frankfurters at 10 to a pack and buns at 6 to a pack. It throws the equation out even further??..and it would drive Kryten crazy.

I even photographed them, how sad is that!????..My wife despairs.

Cheers

P

karcreat

Greetings, All!

Wanted to let you all know, we have our RIMMER!…;)

Benjamin Rudman, a talented voice actor, won the role…you can hear his read of Rimmer on our ‘Audio/Video’ page on the RDA site, along with some B&W early test animation assembled by Pete…let us know what you think!

Thanks!
    K

Carlito

It’s a doorway into your mind…. quite nice to hear my little contribution come to life actually. If you want to use my Tiresias script I can send it your way, but it’s a big undertaking… it’s probably about 40 minutes long.

I think your Lister is too droll (no offence). I could probably provide you with a Lister and/or Cat if you wanted, but your current Cat is pretty spot on anyway.

karcreat

Thanks…;)

RE, your ‘Tiresias’ script…any way you could trim it down to 23 min or so? If not, it might make a cool ‘two parter’…not sure how Pete would feel about it he’s in charge of scripts and story development, etc…best to email him and ask…

peteleggett@talktalk.net

Pete is also doing the voice for Lister, but we are open to the possibility of a better version…send him an audio audition (MP3 or WAV) reading some of the lines from the script, we would love to hear it…and I’m happy you liked my attempt at Cat…;)

K

Carlito

Well, here it is. Don’t be too harsh on me, it’s just something I knocked up over the course of two evenings for my own amusement. It’s only a first draft anyway so could probably do with an edit or two (to put it mildly) and a rethink here and there. These are just the bare unedited bones. Be interested to know what people think of it though.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgf4dn6_0fqzmcwcm

lego7770

Man we?d never be harsh. I?m looking forward to reading it. Cheers Mate

P

karcreat

What did I think?

I LOVED it.

It was intelligent, funny and dramatic…felt VERY ‘Red Dwarf’ to me, especially the great ending sequence (always important in RD to end with a memorable last scene, I think)

VERY true to the characters, and very involving…I literally could not stop reading, wanting to see what happens next. WELL DONE!

We need to get Pete’s input on it, he is the script director/editor…but even if we don’t use this particular story (which I would like to be able to figure a way to do), I would love to have you submit a few write ups based on the concept outlines we have posted on the website, under ‘Episodes & Outlines’…would you be interested?

Thanks!
    K

Carlito

Cheers for the feedback… glad you liked it, it’s hard to have any kind of objective opinion about something you wrote yourself so you become reliant on other people to react to it to know whether it’s, pardon the expression, even worth a wank. Even if it’s just something you do for your own fun. (The writing… not the wank. Although that works.)

I’d be happy to have a bash at some of your ideas, and churn out some (considerably shorter) scripts when I have a bit of time… which is rare at the moment but should find a bit of time one evening this week to have a pop.

lego7770

Carl

Please remove the link for this script?Its too good to put out spoilers,. I will email with my thoughts shortly

Thank You

P

Carlito

hmmm for some reason i’m unable to edit

Carlito

I would remove it but for some reason the “edit” option is missing from that post. All others are fine but that one. Very strange.

karcreat

Interesting…and odd!…;)

The only suggestion I have would be to remove or delete the actual page the link goes to?

That, or maybe upload a text file there instead that says something like ‘coming soon’?…;)

I agree with Pete, its too good to spoil for the fans…

K

lego7770

Carl. email sent…..I dont think I’v been too harsh :)

P

Carlito

E-mail received. Cheers for the feedback, glad you liked it, looking forward to seeing it in animated form.

And my Lister audition will be with you soon too…

lego7770

Nice one. look forward to hearing it

P

karcreat

Hey, do you have any preconceived imagery in mind as far as the characters go, etc?

I wanted to do some character designs for the storyline, wanted your takes on it all first…if you could, please email me a copy of the script and your thoughts (we want to show at least one scene from your story in the opening credits for series one)…

kkarstens@cableone.net

Thanks!
    K

lego7770

There is a reason for him being droll in the opening scene. But he does perk up when he sees the pod

But I honestly welcome anyone who would like to audition for Lister.

And I?m really looking forward to reading Carl?s script. As a two parter sounds like a good idea to me, maybe to end the first series with.

P

fullmetalraz

Would love to guest voice in this, closest main cast character i can do is Kryten and its not even that good and the roles been taken lol

But seriously i’m really looking forward to this series and i hope it takes off, how awesome would it be if it got noticed by DNP?

karcreat

How awesome, you ask?

INCREDIBLY, AMAZINGLY, SMEGTASTICLY, that’s how awesome!!!…;)

Seriously tho…

Yeah, that would be pretty sweet…;)

K

lego7770

How awesome ?

Jawscvmcdia

Yeah, I’m still sorting that out, btw.

lego7770

I?ll look forward to seeing what you have planned there. Keep me up to date

karcreat

Just added new ‘NEWS’ updates, sketchwork to the site…let us know what you think, your feedback is important and appreciated, you smeggers…;)

K

lego7770

This stuff is excellent lads, first time I?ve seen some of it

karcreat

First time you’ve seen some of it??

Was there stuff I didnt email you? (if so, my apologies, man!)

K

karcreat

Hey All…

Final version of the Series One opening credits (with some touch ups and new sequences of animation) is up and ready for your opinions…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Hz4JF4E6c

Let us know what ya think!

Thanks…

K

lego7770

WOW

TheLeen

The Star Trek Rimmer excites me.

karcreat

Hey, I’m excited you’re excited…;)

peas_and_corn

I’m guessing they’re clips from episodes- in which case there are a few parts that look really interesting to see what’s going on…

karcreat

You are correct…;)

They are episodes we plan to do for Series One.

You can read the descriptions of all of them here…

http://www.karcreat.com/RDAnimatedEpisodes.html

Let us know what you think of the proposed stories, we really want to get feedback from the fans!

Thanks in Advance…

K

EvoFan

Looks good, a few things look interesting. Not too sure about the Lister voice. As Seb said, just because you have a scouse accent doesn’t mean it’s good. It has potential, just needs bit more enthusiasm. Cat and Kryten are very good tho.

The pace seems a bit slow to me, but it’s bit hard to judge from the first scene alone.

Noticed that there is some competition heading your way too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVbWS2G5aM

Good luck with it tho, sure it will be good. Why Duff Beer tho?

TheLeen

The more the merrier!

lego7770

We noticed that weeks ago :)

That?s why we brought those lads on board too

P

lego7770

I just thought that Duff Beer would fit in well in the Tooniverse :)

P

Seb Patrick

… but what was wrong with Leopard Lager?

lego7770

I couldn?t find any images until now. Look at the price of this http://www.propstore.com/product-JMC-Leopard-Lager-Beer-Can.htm

Carlito

I’ve contributed a script called ‘Tiresias’ to this project (and working on a couple of others too at the moment) and these guys Pete and Kev have been a complete pleasure to work with. Some of the animation and original character models from the script have been fantastic… talented fuckers! very high hopes for this project and very much looking forward to watching full episodes, and also seeing my words come to life in a couple of episodes as well! (which will probably be quite a surreal feeling…)

lego7770

Hay Carl. Thanks for the nice comments, believe me we have searched everywhere to find a writer as talented as you. I think that we are the lucky ones to have you on board. I think we all make a fantastic team

P

karcreat

We just added some test footage of Lister speaking, (lines from upcoming ep, ‘Tiresias’) decided to animated the mouths/chins more…I think it looks MILES better, let us know what you think…;)

http://www.karcreat.com/RDAnimatedVideo.html

-K

lego7770

an important message from holly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_23C50znc

Carlito

Ben’s Holly impersonation is bloody top notch!

TheLeen

Oh, very good.

lego7770

Carlito

Very cool of him to take the time to send a personal response. I’d wager most people in similar positions wouldn’t.

Seb Patrick

Peter Ridsdale-Scott being a complete and utter legend, there. Quelle surprise.

Dave

Well, you see, the shuttle was late, the shuttle was late and they’re usually so good, they’re so good, aren’t they?

Carlito

Does anyone here know what font was used in the early Red Dwarf episodes (series 1/2) for episode titles, credits etc?

Carlito

Is it “Microgramma”?

Andrew

In bold, yeah – or, at least, that’s the approximation we’ve been using since that kind of info’s not been recorded.

I was so pleased to see the same font ALL OVER the movie Moon.

Carlito

Quite a popular font for space-y, sci fi-ish stuff, ey?

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

I’ve got two fonts that match what was used: one was called “CID” and “MicrogrammaDBolExt”…

Carlito

Cheers fellas

Dave

Carlito

lol yeah i stumbled across that when i was searching…. barmy

lego7770

Just back from the I.O.W, Life changing

Loads of folk have been in touch with script ideas. Carl you?ll be a busy man ?

P

karcreat

Welcome back, man…glad to know you got back safe n’ sound…we gots a lot of work to do on RDA!…;)

K

Carlito

Then let’s get on it like Sonic!

lego7770

I?m still in holiday mode. I?m well keen to get some eps out there….But I?ve work in the morning.

P

Carlito

Notice you edited that Pete lol

karcreat

Welcome Carrie Parsons to our staff at RDA!

Learn more here…

http://www.karcreat.com/RDAnimatedWhoAreWe.html

-K

redhead85

There goes my air of mystique on here… :-)

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

you do have Mystique’s hair though…

redhead85

> you do have Mystique?s hair though?

*nods* True. True.

lego7770

it looks as if we are taking over the local campsite at dimention jump this year.

ori-STUDFARM

Pete, You still staying at the one you sent me the link for? Was going to travel down for DJ, but closer it gets, the more I’m thinking about staying…

lego7770

studdy :) nice to hear from you

Yea i’m still planing on staying on that one that i sent the link for. we’ve loads of room in the tent, its a 12 man

lego7770

oh i’m packing my wet suit. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cviv1R0bqI0

redhead85

Getting veeeeeeeeeery tempted to book for this year’s Dimension Jump….

lego7770

Tent space still available :)

for you and your husband :)

redhead85

> Tent space still available :) for you and your husband :)

Nicely rescued, Pete. Nicely rescued… :)

TBH, I’m interested in actually meeting you and Carl – it’s quite funny how people can work together and never have met. I’m imagining there would be quite a buzz too with the recent BTE activity.

Thing is, I can’t get the Friday off work so I’d miss the Friday action and still have to pay the same price (which is looking at a total including travel, tickets and hotel) at ?330 for both of us. Ouch.

TheLeen

> Getting veeeeeeeeeery tempted to book for this year?s Dimension Jump?.

I’ve got a spare ticket (as Vincent’s not coming…) non-fanclub-member, reduced rate – a super-saver!

lego7770

Wow that?s only ?165 each for a fantastic weekend, plus you get to meet Carl and myself

Fu*k I?d pay ?165 for that alone. LOL

ori-STUDFARM

Pete, are you serious about having room in the 12 man tent?

lego7770

“Pete, are you serious about having room in the 12 man tent?”

Yea man.the more folk we can get in it the cheaper it gets.

it’s me and my son(Ant) so far. it’s a big tent for the two of us :)

ori-STUDFARM

Will have to get back to you on that.

The only problem I can forsee is if you end up with single ladies staying in the tent. Don’t know what your wife would think of that, but I know mine wouldn’t be keen. TBH I wouldn’t blame her. If it was her staying away, I wouldn’t be keen either.

Leave it with me, I’ll get back to you

lego7770

The tent is partitioned, so we can uphold appropriate levels of decency, my wife may go yet, so any opportunity for indecent behaviour will be quashed . LOL

lego7770

Other than that it seems to be all male so far ?

Carlito

I think… *think*… me and my mate are in, so scootch over… :)

lego7770

As long as your mate isn?t a 22 year old Scandinavian love goddess, that?s cool, as it looks to be an all male tent

The tent next door however?????:)

Carlito

No… he’s not a love Goddess. More’s the shame.

redhead85

> Wow that?s only ?165 each for a fantastic weekend, plus you get to meet Carl and myself. Fu*k I?d pay ?165 for that alone. LOL

Don’t ever go into sales, Pete. :-P

> I?ve got a spare ticket (as Vincent?s not coming?) non-fanclub-member, reduced rate – a super-saver!

If we end up going I might take you up on that. However, are the TORDFC happy with the reselling of tickets? Aren’t they each registered to names if I remember correctly?

TheLeen

Someone else had to resell their tickets (over at reddwarf.co.uk) and James seemed to be cool about it.

I’m annoyed as well – I planned to go with 3 other people, and now none of them are coming and I’m alone in an expensive double bedroom :P

Carlito

Guys? Guys???

Oh my goodness, we’ve been frozen in time again! Hello?

Extraordinary! It must be a warp in the time-space continuum. How curious it isn’t affecting me.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I?m alone in an expensive double bedroom :P

*predictable smutty comment*

redhead85

> Someone else had to resell their tickets (over at reddwarf.co.uk) and James seemed to be cool about it.

> I?m annoyed as well – I planned to go with 3 other people, and now none of them are coming and I?m alone in an expensive double bedroom :P

I checked with the hotel’s website and they only have singles left. If we end up going we could just swap haha

TheLeen

That’d be great.

When will you know whether you’re going?

redhead85

Oh don’t worry about holding onto the ticket/room for me – if someone else wants it please go ahead. I’ve no idea when we’ll make a decision – I don’t want to keep you hanging

TheLeen

Fair enough.

Anyone else want a cheap ticket + double room?

Jo TORDFC

As it’s booked on my card do you want me to contact the hotel and see if they can change your room to a single Marleen?

Also we’re fine with you giving a place to someone else, you’ll just need to let James know so he can update the name.

TheLeen

Yeah, if no one else needs the double room, I’d like to switch. Thanks for all the help with this, Jo!

Jo TORDFC

OK, I’ll give them a call on Monday and try and switch it for you hun.

lego7770

We need a little help on the Project if anyone is interested.

We need a Sound Effects Researcher

If anyone would like a go contact me at

Peteleggett@talktalk.net

Cheers

P

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

We need a Sound Effects Researcher

http://www.freesound.org

My invoice is in the post.

lego7770

Cheers Ian.

I’ll give it a look.

email your invoice

P

hummingbird

There may be a chance that I won’t be able to make it to DJ for the whole weekend – I’d just go for the day on Saturday. So there may be a twin room spare for both nights if anyone’s interested. I can let you know definitely in the next couple of weeks, if you’re able to hang on that long.

BTW – anyone having problems changing their pic? I’ve been trying to upload for a couple of days but computer says ‘no’.
    Maybe it’s me, maybe it doesn’t like the pic.
    (I am not a psychotic bunny – I am a person!) :(

Carlito

Yeah I had problems changing my pic last time… it wouldn’t take. But when I next came on here, it had magically corrected itself.

Might be interested in that twin room, maybe… not for me, I’m jobless and skint, tenting it up with Lego and Co if I go!

But I know someone who may be looking for a hotel room. How much?

David M

Looks cool. Looking forward to the first full episode.

Is this gonna be set on Red Dwarf or Starbug?

hummingbird

> But I know someone who may be looking for a hotel room. How much?

I forget what the hotel rate is … is it ?80/night for a twin?

Carlito

> Is this gonna be set on Red Dwarf or Starbug?

Both. Although I’m fairly sure we’re considering it ‘post-Back To Earth’ (I know my scripts are, anyway) there will be Starbug and there will be Holly. And that’s all the spoilers you’re getting outta me (hey, do I look like Bobby Llew to you?)

redhead85

> Although I?m fairly sure we?re considering it ?post-Back To Earth? (I know my scripts are, anyway)

Yeah my script is set post BTE too. I just followed your lead, sir!

> And that?s all the spoilers you?re getting outta me (hey, do I look like Bobby Llew to you?)

Boom boom! :-)

David M

When you guys think you will have something new to show us?

karcreat

Funny you would ask that…;)

We just added a new clip to the RDA site…

http://www.karcreat.com/RedDwarfAnimated.html

…in the Audio/Video area, a test for Cat’s mouth and chin movements and voice matching to animation…several lines of his in a row (sans the responses), the scene is from Starbug’s cockpit, about the middle of the pilot episode (‘Timehole’)…

Pete informs me we are awaiting some lines from Ben before we can proceed along further, but the pilot should be done pretty soon…;)

K

lego7770

Loads of animation work at the moment. We are storming on with the first episode, now all the voice work is complete. Character designs, for the most part are done, except for one or two things we keep finding to make things better.

Thanks for your support with this folks; we have met so many talented, friendly and helpful people on this site. Keep the comments coming, good or bad it?s all noted

Keep watching

P

redhead85

Can’t wait to see it all in action Pete (but you know I’m biased anyways :-D Going to be quite surreal seeing mine…)

karcreat

Some new FX footage up for review!

Starbug approaching the Timehole, from the upcoming pilot episode…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK9ybUEx6g

…Let us know whatchoo think!…;)

K

lego7770

Wow a tough couple of day?s animation. Not far off finishing episode 1 :)

lego7770

Test footage of Starbug picking up the canister. From the forthcoming episode Timehole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me7dafQxjCU

lego7770

Test footage of Starbug picking up the canister. From the forthcoming episode Timehole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me7dafQxjCU

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

You sent this post two days ago mate.

Dave

Re-Test footage?

Pete Part Three

[Insert hackneyed White Hole reference here]

Carlito

So what is it?

Timehole’s the pilot, a short mini-episode just to give everyone a taster for the main series of episodes coming soon.

Dave

There’s some pretty impressive competition out there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6A6Ub6pfmM

Carlito

ooh, that looks nice. Impressive!

Not really “competition” though… I mean, that’s just a CGI shot of Starbug. RDA is a scripted 2D cartoon show with, y’know, plots and jokes and tings. :)

hummingbird

To digress for a moment, will you lovely G&T people ever be able to sort out this pagination issue, where you can’t skip to the last entry once the thread runs to more than one page? Or is it just a flaw inherent in the system?

John Hoare

G&T Admin

It will be sorted. I’ve been too busy to do things on the site at the moment, but once I start my new job in a couple of weeks time, I’ll be on shift work. Meaning: five days off at a time. Plenty of time to give G&T the upgrade it needs.

I know it’s really annoying. Just bear with us a few weeks longer!

hummingbird

Thanks, John.
    I just wondered if it was something that we were stuck with.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

It will be sorted. I?ve been too busy to do things on the site at the moment, but once I start my new job in a couple of weeks time, I?ll be on shift work. Meaning: five days off at a time. Plenty of time to give G&T the upgrade it needs.

NO JOHN, this is unacceptable! How dare you get a NEW JOB, when G&T is obvsiously in such dire need of repairs. As you can tell by this point I am speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do…

Seb Patrick

Not really ?competition? though? I mean, that?s just a CGI shot of Starbug. RDA is a scripted 2D cartoon show with, y?know, plots and jokes and tings. :)

Might be worth saving the smugness until AFTER people have seen whether your one is any good (and indeed, whether the people who did that CGI rendering have actually got anything else behind it – you don’t know for sure that they haven’t, after all), eh? Otherwise it’s just not very nice.

Carlito

How is it “smug” to say that a solitary clip of Starbug isn’t competition? There may well be more behind it, but there’s no evidence to suggest that. It’s probably just somebody having a bit of fun. If there’s ‘competitive’ intent, more power to them. Certainly not being smug to assume there isn’t, especially considering that clip has been online for over two years with no follow up.

And RDA does have plots and jokes and tings… I was never presumptuous enough to say they are “good”, though… that is in the eye of the beholder. ALL I was saying is that in comparison to one single clip of animation, our project has a lot more depth, completely regardless of perceived quality by the eventual viewer.

ori-STUDFARM

When I looked at the CGI Starbug, I spotted this video on the “Related Videos” section. I played it to Mrs Studfarm who promptly said…”it’s a helicopter”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNDLNOEQ44

I’m not so sure….

karcreat

Hey All!

Quick question for those of you following this project…

We recently received a very polite inquiry from Grant Naylor, asking us to please not use their Red Dwarf logo and the theme music from the original show…other than those two small points, they did not seem to take issue with our work, for which we were quite grateful.

We have since replaced the logo with one that reflects the animation aspect of our project, (I’m actually very happy to have done this, since we wanted it to be clear to viewers that this is an animation venture) but there has been some concern voiced among our group that fans will not respond well to our episodes if we use different music for the opening/closing credits. The thought seems to be that without the theme music, fans will be ‘turned off’ from wanting to watch the episodes we create…I would love to hear from you all on this point…will different theme music in ‘Red Dwarf- Animated’ put you off from wanting to watch our episodes?

Thanks in advance!

-K

Seb Patrick

Use the music from the US pilot instead. I doubt Todd Rundgren would mind.

Ridley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTWMcUyGiY

Can’t you dispense with the opening titles and just have the episode name on screen instead? Like Parallel Universe. And Duct Soup… kinda.

karcreat

“Use the music from the US pilot instead. I doubt Todd Rundgren would mind”

(Trying to type whilst both laughing AND barfing)

Ummm…no.

:)

K

karcreat

“Can?t you dispense with the opening titles and just have the episode name on screen instead?”

Awww, but THAT’S no fun…we really want to have opening titles each episode, so there is a similarity to the original show…besides, I love opening titles for shows…;)

K

hummingbird

Does this just apply to the main theme music, or would it be possible to use other music from the show?

Dave

Different music every time: Lister’s guitar solo, hammond organ, decimalised Hol Rock, etc

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Surely using *other* pieces of GNP-copyrighted music will be just as problematic?

will different theme music in ?Red Dwarf- Animated? put you off from wanting to watch our episodes?

I can honestly say that the choice of music will not affect the likelihood of me wanting to watch these episodes whatsoever.

peas_and_corn

I will still watch it even if it didn’t have the original theme music.

ChrisM

Yeah, I don’t think it will make any difference. Actually, having your own credit music could be a good thing from a creative point of view and to give the animation it’s own identity. Even if you look at a lot of authorised cartoons of other shows (or vice versa, live action films based on something originally a cartoon or comic strip) they’ll have their own music.

Seb Patrick

See, this is the thing, though, that – and don’t take this the wrong way, but – sort of sums up the inherent problem with doing stuff like this. As has just been demonstrated by the fact that GNP have asked you not to use copyrighted material – you’re not making Red Dwarf.

Now I’m not saying this applies to all fan-fiction, fan-films or anything like that. They’re valid forms that serve a particular purpose – and can be especially helpful in aiding young writers in finding a voice without having to build everything from the ground up. And after all, the New Adventures were, for all intents and purposes, fanfic – just fanfic that got a licence from the BBC, because they didn’t know what else to do with the property at the time.

But there comes a point when what you’re doing stops being an amateur tribute to a particular property that you’re a fan of, and becomes outright imitation. And then the question becomes: what is it that you’re trying to do? It’s especially relevant when a property is actually still ongoing (and Dwarf may have been dead for most of the 2000s, but I think the majority of us consider it “alive” again now, at least for the moment and no matter what may or may not happen in the future). Look at the guy doing that “Doctor Who 2009” thing. What’s his motivation there? He may claim that it’s to give Doctor Who a full “season” in the year off – but given that the show is still in production, he’ll only ever come off poorly alongside it, and the only impression I get is of someone who desperately wants to be Russell T Davies and David Tennant rolled into one, but never will be. Now I’m not comparing you directly to him, but it does strike me that when you’re at that level of production competence, it’s a little insulting just to work entirely from other people’s concepts, settings and character developments instead of building your own.

The thing is, looking at the material you’ve put out so far – you’re clearly talented animators, and you’ve got good voice artists (I can’t comment on your scripts until you put an episode out). This is talent that could be put to good use – if you want to do a sci-fi comedy that attracts Red Dwarf fans like yourselves, then why not make it entirely original? So that it becomes your own property, that you’ve fully created, and that you’re free to do whatever you want with? Look at Jump Leads. I’m sure Ben won’t mind it saying that that is hugely influenced by Dwarf. As such, it’s an ideal thing for him to talk to RD fans about, and I’m sure he’s attracted many new fans that way. But it’s not a carbon copy, and not a ripoff – it’s just that if you like one sci-fi comedy with a particular style of humour, you may like others (in much the same way as I bet a fair few of the people that tuned into Dwarf‘s first episode had been fans of Hitchhiker’s, or Dark Star, or even Spaceballs.

I mean, let’s say RDA turns out to be brilliant. What can you do with it from there? What if someone sees it online and wants to turn it into a series? Your only reply is “Sorry, we don’t own it”. And you’re back at square one, because even if your potential is noticed you’ve still got to go back and create something original before you can sell it (although I know you do other original stuff, Kevin). I know that having the name “Red Dwarf” on it makes it a bit more likely to attract casual viewers – but it also leaves you open to stronger criticism if it doesn’t live up to their expectations. If it’s something entirely original that holds similar appeal to Red Dwarf, it just strikes me that you’d have a better chance of creating something you can run with.

Or, alternatively, there’s the other route – go the whole hog. Put together an actual proposal (without scripts or plot outlines, mind, because I’d wager they’re legally not allowed to look at those) and send it to GNP. If you think you can do a bloody good Red Dwarf animated web series, then why not see if it can be done officially, perhaps even with the proper cast doing the voices? And such things can run concurrently with an ongoing series – look at the official Who animated stuff.

This is all just my opinion. You can entirely ignore it if you want, and you may find it incredibly patronising. I’m not doubting your motives, either, I think they’re entirely sincere. And this looks like a good project. I just wonder if it’s not a bit of a waste of the work that’s being put into it.

Dave

>This is all just my opinion

It’s difficult to disagree with it.

karcreat

“Does this just apply to the main theme music, or would it be possible to use other music from the show?”

We want to avoid using ANY music that was used on the show, to keep Grant naylor happy…after all, they have been so nice to US….;)

K

lego7770

I dint know what my motives were when I started out on the project.(I still don?t) I had been working on other R.D animations (a bit like the mobisodes) for quite some time.
    Some of them were posted on here, and got what can only be described as a tepid reception

I was invited through posting the above animations on here to join fictionshed forum who do some amazing pod casts based around Babylon 5, as they were working on a R.D project, unfortunately as they are very busy lads that project was put on hold and the script remains unfinished

That?s were I met Kevin who already had a script and animatic done and it has gone from there

We posted our early work on here and loads of folk offered help and advice, that was well noted and the quality of the animations, through constant revision, have steadily been improving.

It wasn?t to try and emulate RD as the project has, I hope, our own stamp on it.

At the end of the day I?m a plasterer not an animator, and while work is slack it is all done for fun, and to keep me busy. I have, since the start of the project, had a delusion that I we could make our own original series and possibly offer it for sale. But at the moment I am happy to keep working on RDA as a form of therapy.

The other aspect that it has brought unexpectedly is a great deal of friendship and support from other like minded fans who probably wouldn?t have even spoken without the project.

P

karcreat

Seb Patrick…

You make good, valid points…but just to be clear, the main reason we are doing this whole thing is…FOT THE FUN oF IT, period…;)

Well, THAT…and its a challenge to please the fans, get it to look/sound right…but Ive always been very keen on ‘imitations’, IE, spoofs, parodies, etc…just look at my http://www.karcreat.com site, or my http://karcreat.deviantart.com/ acct, with all the parody artwoerk there…getting down a particular ‘style’ is always a challenge, and I’ve actually been lucky/successful enough at it to fool a few pros (Doc Hammer thought my ‘Venture Bros’ animatic and storyboards were ‘the real deal’…and IMO, that kindda thing is better than $ ANY DAY of the week!…;)

So basically, I can answer your inquiry by stating that yes, we are doing it for the fun of it and for the fans, the best possible audience to gauge our potential success…you asked ‘What if someone sees it online and wants to turn it into a series? Your only reply is ?Sorry, we don?t own it?.’…this just isn’t important to us (well, to ME anyway!) as I DO have plenty of my own, original work to also keep me busy…sure, it would be flattering to get a response like that…but unless it was Grant Naylor ‘approaching us’ to do an actual series (unlikely at BEST!)as you described, its just icing on the fun cake…;)

Basically, we do things like this for the fans, for the experience in learning the animation/editing process…and because we HAVE to…if I DIDNT do creative stuff like this for an audience, I’d likely go loopy…;)

K

karcreat

Well said, Pete…;)

K

redhead85

> Now I?m not saying this applies to all fan-fiction, fan-films or anything like that. They?re valid forms that serve a particular purpose

Everyone has hobbies. Mine? Writing. I love it. My spare time is spent writing RD fanfic as it keeps my creative juices flowing, I enjoy it, and (admittedly for the sake of my ego) I love the feedback that I get. People have been incredibly kind about my work, and have been asked if I’m a professional writer, which I was very flattered by.

> and can be especially helpful in aiding young writers in finding a voice without having to build everything from the ground up.

Man I wish this were true! Yes, it would be fantastic to be known in the future for my writing some day, but I am under no illusion that me posting RD fanfic will somehow get me noticed. Actually knuckling down and writing the bloody novel I promised myself I would write and working hard to get it noticed by publishers is the way to find a voice. Fanfiction is either a hobby or damn good practice for honing writing skills. You’re taking an existing set-up and working from there – the vast majority of the work is done for you. It’s pure laziness on my front.

> I just wonder if it?s not a bit of a waste of the work that?s being put into it.

I’ve only written one script for the guys but I loved every minute of it. It challenged me far more than my ‘comfort zone’ of prose writing did, and it will be a great honour to see it given life. Totally worth every hour spent on it. ^__^

karcreat

I anyone deserves to be ‘discovered’ as a writer, its Carl.

I agree completely with him regarding the issue of why its ‘not a waste’ as well…how can anything that entertains people be considered a ‘waste’?…;)

K

redhead85

> I anyone deserves to be ?discovered? as a writer, its Carl.

Oh thanks Kev :-P hehe

Carl is a fantastic writer, and I’m amazed at how his comedy and ideas just seem to flow so damn quickly, whilst I’m left cursing trying to think of one half-decent gag… I’m sure you guys will enjoy the episodes when they’re out and see them for what they are – homages to the greatness of Grant Naylor but in no way trying to emulate them (an impossible feat without at least one dodgy deal with the dark lord…)

karcreat

“Oh thanks Kev :-P hehe”

Oh, now STOP THAT!!…;)

I KNEW the minute I had posted that, that I should have worded it differently, dammit!!…;)

In all seriousness, CDarl stands out to me as he was the FIRST writer who submitted anything to us, and to be honest, we aere not expecting too much as FanFic can tend to ‘be a bit dodgy’ as Kryten might put it…and his work was amazingly well done!

Thats NOT to say that other writers who have done up scripts have not be brilliant as well (hint hint!…;), Carl just kindda ‘stands out’ for me personally…;)

K

karcreat

‘CDarl’???

My keyboard is too small, and my fingers are too fat…sorry…;)

K

karcreat

Ok, funny thing…

I just pulled up the script submitted to us by ‘redhead85’ (Carrie), re-read the opening…and then couldn’t stop myself from continuing on with it!

Gotta admit…Carrie is very good at this as well, leagues above the usual ‘fanfic’ Ive come across…and as far as the scripts we have received, she and Carl wrote the ones I can quote from as the writing truly stands out…they both have the language and the mannerisms of the characters down PAT, and altho Carrie will claim she is ‘left cursing trying to think of one half-decent gag’, you would never know it when reading her work, it flows easilly and evenly…

IMO, if a writer can pull THAT off, they’re damn good…So I stand corrected, LOL RE our ‘best writers’, I guess!…;)

K

redhead85

> Oh, now STOP THAT!!?;) I KNEW the minute I had posted that, that I should have worded it differently, dammit!!?;)

Mwahahaha. It’s too fun/easy winding you up my dear!

> ?CDarl????

Carl’s eeee-villl alter ego. Or a typo.

ori-STUDFARM

C Darl run
    Run Darl Run
    Run….home Darl!

Why? I don’t know! Copious amounts of alcohol maybe?

Is copious even a word?

redhead85

> Is copious even a word?

Yes. ^__^

> Copious amounts of alcohol maybe?

Most likely! But it’s making you very poetic…

karcreat

Oh, it was a typo, trust me…I aint that clever as a ‘writer’…;)

Wanna hear REALLY pathetic, dear Carrie?

When I read your initial post here RE why you write fan fic stuff, I had just woken up, all bleary eyed and yawning…and I didnt even note your avatar, denoting you as the author…I just PRESUMED it was a post from Carl (as he posts a lot to the RD boards RE our project), thus the ‘If anyone deserves to be discovered’ line…

G’won…laugh long and hard at my sorry butt, I deserve it…;)

K

ori-STUDFARM

There was a hen called Ben
    He was a peculiar hen
    He decided to write poems
    that didn’t quite rhyme.
    Very similar to this one in fact!

By Ben the hen

Poetic….don’t think so!

;)

karcreat

:)

Maybe NOT ‘poetic’, no…but quite funny, yes!

-K

redhead85

Ben the hen is a genius. I actually laughed out loud reading that.

> G?won?laugh long and hard at my sorry butt, I deserve it?;)

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA….

*sigh* I should get out more.

ori-STUDFARM

Or maybe drink more……or maybe drink less.

redhead85

> Or maybe drink more??or maybe drink less.

I work in the wanky world of media (where there’s ‘networking’ and whatnot). I already drink far too much… :-S

Carlito

Hey guys, couple of developments in the ole Red Dwarf Animated camp. We were just looking to clarify something really and get some fan feedback.

We’ve been looking at the workload and commitment required to producing an entire SERIES of animated Red Dwarf episodes… it’s a biggie. What started originally as a series of shorts has grown and grown, it’s very difficult to squeeze a satisfying Red Dwarf episode into 15 mins!

At the moment, we’re mulling over the benefits of a feature-length movie over a series. What do you guys reckon? Personally, I think that an extra long movie style episode wouldn’t affect somebody’s decision to sit and watch animated Red dwarf any more than having to keep up with an entire series would. Some people will never watch it, others will give it a shot… some will enjoy, some won’t…

but whereas a series requires the commitment of a viewer to come back time and again (and a commitment from us to create an entire series without even knowing if people will watch beyond the first episode), a movie is a one off project that allows us the freedom of a deeper plot, more leeway for character interplay and at the very least leaves us with a single project to be personally proud of at the end of all the hard work – even if nobody likes it lol. And if they do like it, we can get to work on a series off the back of this. It is nothing more than a fan project after all, no monetary compensation for our time, just the thrill of embracing one of our mutual all-time favourite TV shows in a creative fashion.

Many of you will have seen test animation clips, or viewed the website… how do you think the following one-off “movie” idea compares to the series we’ve outlined in the past?

The crew of the mining ship Red Dwarf are at loggerheads: the lone human being on board, Dave Lister, has become increasingly bored with his aimless existence; the evolved humanesque Cat contributes nothing but vanity and stupidity; reformed mechanoid Kryten remains happily content performing menial cleaning duties and the newly religious hologram Rimmer is at breaking point.

When the shipmates’ attention is drawn to a mysterious planet, a terrifying chain of events begin to unravel which leads to six months going ‘missing’, inexplicable hauntings, sinister androids and the disturbing discovery of a diabolical three million year old plot to take over the universe. The Dwarfers are about to discover first hand that “money is power”, but can they overcome their most chilling threat to date? And what role could a dilapidated mining droid with a very special capability play in the proceedings?

‘RED DWARF: DEUS EX MACHINA – THE ANIMATED MOVIE’. Coming soon, to a universe near you.

So guide us, guys… what is it? Movie or series?

Beligium

Personally i would say Movie, but i may be biased ;)

Carlito

Hey, hey! Welcome to G&T Damien!

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> Hey, hey! Welcome to G&T Damien!

Or, more accurately, welcome to the ‘Red Dwarf- Animated’…New Online Series thread which happens to be on G&T.

Carlito

Damiens been coming to the site and listening to the Dwarfcasts on iTunes for ages, but never posted on here til now… that I know of, anyway :S

He’s also the real life Moss…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> He?s also the real life Moss?

John Hoare is the real life Moss!

Carlito

So come on then peeps? Surely some of you have an opinion on this project? Even if you think we’re relentless plugging, shilling idiots lol.

Because there’s some friendly divide in the team at the moment as to which would work best, we’re letting the biggest pool of potential viewers – the Red Dwarf fans – decide the first shape it takes: movie or series?

Choose and pay. Choose. Choose the form of the destructor….

TheLeen

I still think series.

I think getting even one episode together is an enormous effort AND an enormous achievement. I really want to see the stuff, and an entire film is so much more likely to fail. AND you would have to keep people interested for a lot longer. (I have stopped writing in this thread because I’m not all that interested in snippets and test footage…)

Also, working with a team of writers is probably a lot easier when everyone’s writing their own episode instead of a team script. I imagine, anyway.

Why don’t you produce one or two short episodes first, and if everything runs smoothly and you can estimate the time and ressources needed for a larger project better, do a film then?

Seb Patrick

I think Cappsy’s post above summed up the reason why people haven’t really popped in to comment on this – I think the site regulars would probably prefer it if the people who confine themselves solely to this thread (I’m not talking about you, Carl, or redhead85 – you’re both pretty active contributors all over) actually interacted with the rest of us a bit more. That way we might be more inclined to give a bit back. Also you gave people less than 24 hours before badgering them again – have patience, man!

But I agree with Marleen. Also, if people don’t like the plot (or the title? I hope there’s good reason for calling it that, as it’s a bit of an obvious/overused cliche) of the film, then that’s all you’ve got. But if people don’t like one of your episodes, then you’ve still got others.

redhead85

> I?m not talking about you, Carl, or redhead85 – you?re both pretty active contributors all over

I must admit that I daren’t venture into the Doctor Who thread, for fear of being completely outgeeked :-S hehe. I know you guys wouldn’t be cruel, but me saying “the tenth doctor was the best cos OMG David Tennant is so gosh darn cute” might not go down well with proper followers… ^__^

> Also, working with a team of writers is probably a lot easier when everyone?s writing their own episode instead of a team script. I imagine, anyway.

To be honest, the shift between the writing methods of the series and the film wouldn’t really change much. Carl remains the main writer whilst I heckle/help from the sidelines. Carl wrote most of the episodes for the series, whilst I only contributed one. We effectively write a script, swap papers and mark each other’s to refine it further, if that analogy makes sense…

Kris Carter

I say channel the effort into making one solid, well crafted half hour episode, and if that works and people want more, give it to ’em.

I’ll give a ten minute fan film a watch. I’ll give a half hour fanisode the benefit of the doubt. If you’re going to try and make a 1 and half hour / 2 hour movie straight off the bat, it better be ‘effin spectacular or people won’t stick around for the long haul.

My two cents…

Carlito

> Also you gave people less than 24 hours before badgering them again – have patience, man!

Yeah, apologies, didn’t mean to come across as badgering, it’s just that I had only just finished making those admittedly amateur posters and wanted to get them on here.

> But I agree with Marleen. Also, if people don?t like the plot (or the title? I hope there?s good reason for calling it that, as it?s a bit of an obvious/overused cliche) of the film, then that?s all you?ve got.

Yeah the title came long after the script so it’s not a gimmick, and I think if it ever comes to life you’ll see that it makes quite literal sense to the plot. Also, I don’t know that I’d agree that it’s overused or cliched as a title? That’s news to me anyway, wouldn’t have used it if I thought for a second it was a cliche, the original title was ‘Tiresias’.

> Why don?t you produce one or two short episodes first, and if everything runs smoothly and you can estimate the time and ressources needed for a larger project better, do a film then?

That’s exactly what we’re doing. We have a “pilot” so to speak called Timehole which should be ready and online very very soon… it’s only a little short, probably less than 10 mins in execution, but it’s just a taster and a chance to start getting to grips with the animation etc.

> I say channel the effort into making one solid, well crafted half hour episode, and if that works and people want more, give it to ?em.
    I?ll give a ten minute fan film a watch. I?ll give a half hour fanisode the benefit of the doubt. If you?re going to try and make a 1 and half hour / 2 hour movie straight off the bat, it better be ?effin spectacular or people won?t stick around for the long haul.

Well, it would be somewhere around the 70-90 min mark, and if we didn’t intend to make something ‘effin spectacular, we wouldn’t be doing anything at all. The end result wouldn’t be worth the effort unless it was summat we could be proud of.

I guess the reason the film idea came up is because we want to do something big and something soon. If we do a series, it would make more sense to put them online in measured fashion, or people may just forget about them if they are released in dribs and drabs. That means getting every episode in the can before the first one goes out.

That’s probably going to take a year. With a movie, we’re still talking a lengthy period of time, but much less than an entire series. ie. we’ll have our first actual full story online a lot sooner.

Also, if the movie “works” we’ll know we’re onto something worth continuing with and then get the series underway. If it flops, we’ll know not to waste our time and everyone elses on more.

We’ve used words like “movie” and “film” but take away the semantics and all we’re really talking about here is a feature length pilot, which allows us the freedom to really go to town on plot, characterisation, experimentation etc. in a way that a 20 minute episode wouldn’t.

Beligium

>> Hey, hey! Welcome to G&T Damien!

>Or, more accurately, welcome to the ?Red Dwarf- Animated??New Online Series thread which happens to be on G&T.

Thank you, but i must insist that i need not be welcomed to every single thread on the site, i fear that to do so would take up much valuable bandwidth and disk space. :)

TBH this is my first posting as although being a bit of a Smeghead, for some reason i’ve never sought it out online before, probably due to not having much to look forward to bar the DVD releases, and to not torture myself with the unending grinding gears of Mr Naylor’s attempts to get funding for the movie. :)

I’d not actually found this site before last night but now have little doubt that i will find it taking up more and more of my leisure time as i peruse your very witty and informative articles, and become hopelessly mired in the need to wax lyrical in your forums about a TV show that has warped my perception and sense of humour since discovering it during series 4 (strangely enough my first episode was Holoship, the exact same episode as Mr Wheatley, a fact which bonded us together in those formative, scaring and quite frankly disturbing days i like to remember as my schooldays).

Any-ways, enough de-railing ramblings, back to the topic at hand, and a hello to all!

Kris Carter

That’s a classic Moss post. :)

Carlito

Oh, he IS Moss.

I must point out tho Damo, that Holoship was series V. :) and yes it was my first episode too. Correct, sir.

And I thought you were subscribed to the Dwarfcast on your iPod ages ago??

Seb Patrick

Tut tut. As has been pointed out, John Hoare is Moss. Even down to the fact that he’s been posting on well-known comedy messageboards as “moss” since years before The IT Crowd started. LINEHAN KNOWS.

Beligium

Hey, i never claimed to be Moss, that’s Carl and my girlfriends interpretation due mainly to my working in IT and having incredibly uncontrolable hair… :(

Can’t believe i missed up my series number, damn my inability to remember facts and figures correctly, i shall close my own gills at once to spare us all future indignities…

(I must confess that although i did subscribe to the podcast, i never actually got round to listening to it due to the sheer number of podcasts i subscribed to :()

Carlito

lol

I get a name check in one of them :D

ori-STUDFARM

I personally think you will keep folks more interested with a series of shorts rather than a longer feature. They need to be long enough to not just be sketches, but short enough to not put anyone off. I rarely watch something on the internet that lasts much more than 10 minutes. I would with Dwarf, but not everyone who happens across it would.

ChrisM

As an introduction to a possible series I think the film idea is ok (which is the plan anyway). I’m not keen on the name though, but that’s probably from seeing the phrase so often on various sites. The first time I came across the term was a few years ago in Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Now it’s used everywhere…

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

Ok, Beligium, a proper welcome from me now:

Welcome!

Carlito

I think we’ve come to the conclusion that some will watch a movie, and some won’t. Some will watch an episode just because it’s shorter but then, if we make an entire series, it’s same principle, would anyone watch it ALL, even if they thought it was okay?

Plus… 20 mins is cutting it fine though, how can we truly develop a satisfying plot with all the other elements in just 20 mins? Red Dwarf at its best is a perfect combination of plot, science, comedy and character; something which is incredibly hard to achieve in 20mins. I’m obviously not saying we’re capable of producing “Red Dwarf at its best” – that title belongs firmly to Mssrs Naylor and Grant and everyone else involved – but we want to at least try and bring something out with some artistic merit and creativity that we can be proud to show people.

So, anyway, the decision we’ve come to quite simply covers all bases: we’re bringing in an extra animator to the project (that being me, in my ‘still-can’t-find-a-fricking-job” spare time) and we’re just going to work on both, simultaneously.

For those with patience and interest, we will have a movie length episode. For those who only want a quick watch out of morbid fascination, we’ll have episodes to dip into. Win-win!

ori-STUDFARM

Good thinking Batman!

hummingbird

I’m probably coming into the discussion a little late on this, but I would think it better to make a handful of short eps first before spending all that time and energy on a full length movie. It would give you chance to assess the general reaction and any criticism, so that you can tweak the format, if you need to.

Not that I’m suggesting it needs tweaking – I haven’t watched any of the little snippets you’ve been posting because I’m waiting to see the finished product.

Anyway, that’s how I’d do it.

Jo TORDFC

> me saying ?the tenth doctor was the best cos OMG David Tennant is so gosh darn cute? might not go down well with proper followers? ^__^

Seb says that all the time. He hearts DT and he *will* fight you for him.

redhead85

> Seb says that all the time. He hearts DT and he *will* fight you for him.

*throws off gloves* Come on Seb, bring it…

karcreat

redhead85…

Have I ever mentioned how ADORABLE I think your avatar pic is? (Or how JEALOUS I am that you have a Mr. Flibble puppet?? Grrrr…;)

K

redhead85

> redhead85?
    Have I ever mentioned how ADORABLE I think your avatar pic is? (Or how JEALOUS I am that you have a Mr. Flibble puppet?? Grrrr?;)

Aww thanks ^__^ I LOVE my Mr Flibble puppet! My brother got it for me several Christmases ago…

Ben Paddon

As someone who has some experience working with web video, I’d strongly suggest keeping anything you do under the six-minute mark, or at least not going over that mark by much.

Carlito

Zero point in doing that, from the perspective of out personal objectives.

I mean, we could produce some six-minute Red Dwarf skits and sketches, sure, but there’s very little artistic or creative merit in that. They’d be as pointless as the mobisodes.

We all wanna develop our skills, it’s just a personal vanity project for us so we’d may as well do it the way we want to. It’s not really about how many people watch, it’s about whether those that DO watch enjoy it, and whether we’re proud of the results.

redhead85

See I still think that doing a ten minute ‘Robot Chicken: Star Wars’ style episode would be fab! ^__^

Seb Patrick

I mean, we could produce some six-minute Red Dwarf skits and sketches, sure, but there?s very little artistic or creative merit in that. They?d be as pointless as the mobisodes.

This statement absolutely flabbergasts me.

Seb Patrick

Also :

>it?s just a personal vanity project for us so we?d may as well do it the way we want to.

That’s absolutely fine, but what was the point in asking everyone’s opinion if you were going to just go along with what you wanted to do anyway? Admittedly G&T isn’t representative of fandom as a whole, but the way I see it, you asked “Movie or shorter eps?”, the majority of people said “Shorter eps”, and you said “Ok, movie it is, then!” I mean, it’s your project, you’re absolutely entitled to do what you want. But I’m seeing conflicting messages from you over how much you’re leaving it open to your potential viewers’ suggestions.

I’m aware that this sounds like I’m getting at you all the time, for which I apologise, but I think these things are worth pointing out.

Carlito

> That?s absolutely fine, but what was the point in asking everyone?s opinion if you were going to just go along with what you wanted to do anyway?

Well the reason we asked for opinions was to settle a friendly debate within the team, but that ceased to be relevant when circumstances changed and we just agreed to work on both.

Not that the opinions are irrelevant, that’s not what I mean, just that the argument is settled. What I mean is at no point were we ever considering sub six minute vids. Be it an episode or a ‘feature length’ it will incorporate a full story, not a sketch.

karcreat

What he said…;)

K

Ben Paddon

I’ve had doubts from the day this thread was posted as to why exactly you guys are doing this, but now those doubts have tripled in size. At first you said that this was “being created by fans for the fans”, which struck me as unlikely. Now you say you’re doing it to hone your skills… well, surely you can hone your skills by starting with smaller skits and working your way up to something longer?

You asked about what sort of length “we” would prefer, and then we gave you an answer, and then you decided to ignore it and do your own thing. It feels very much like you didn’t want to actually hear our response but rather asked in the hope that we’d give you the response you wanted.

Then you dismiss the idea of shorter skits, scenes and sketches as having “little artistic or creative merit” which is easily the biggest load of bollocks I’ve read on this thread.

In all honesty, the reasons for doing this probably boil down to the same reasons I’d love the opportunity to write for the show proper: You love Red Dwarf and you’d love the opportunity to actually play with GNP’s toys for a bit. It doesn’t feel like you’re really doing this for anyone but yourselves, and to pretend otherwise is dishonest and, to be frank, a little offensive.

Ben Paddon

And concerning your “full story” notion: You can do that with six-minute episodes. We did it with Boomer’s Day Off – a four-part miniseries consisting of episodes around the 6-minute mark that tell a story. The Guild does this for an entire season. I Am Not Infected, while largely telling an ongoing story, has very defined story arcs. How long are their episodes? Oh, only a handful of minutes.

To say that you can’t tell a full story when limited to six-minute slices is ridiculous.

karcreat

Gee Ben, thats a coincidence, as from ‘day one’ of reading your posts here, I personally found YOU to be more than just a lil’ offensive…;)

You strike me as someone vastly full of themselves, very judgmental and a bit on the pious side…but thats ok, you are who you are, and I got that right off the bat…;)

On a serious note, I must state that I find your comments of ‘ At first you said that this was ?being created by fans for the fans?, which struck me as unlikely.’ to be rather ridiculous…who is to say (well, other than YOU that is!) that we cannot create something ‘for fans’ and still not ‘hone our our skills’?

This is simply silly.

Another untrue aspect to your post was the statement ‘You asked about what sort of length ?we? would prefer, and then we gave you an answer, and then you decided to ignore it and do your own thing.’…just plain wong, pal.

We decided to do BOTH a film and a series, to satisfy EVERYONE…sure sounds like we are doing something ‘for fans’ to me.

Also, the project is definitely ‘BY fans’, as we have welcomed numerous RD fans to our staff…so the entire statement of ‘by fans, for fans’ is 100% true.

Finally, your closing statement of ‘ It doesn?t feel like you?re really doing this for anyone but yourselves, and to pretend otherwise is dishonest and, to be frank, a little offensive.’…

In all honesty, I would like to say I am sorry you feel this way, and that you are ‘a little offended’, but I just cannot.

We have rceived numerous emails and read many posts from fans that are very pleased with what we have done, people who are excited and looking forward to our work, but considering your self important attitude via this post of yours, and your obvious contempt for our project, (not to mention a complete misunderstanding of who we are, and what we are trying to do) all I can say is I am glad to know that you are in the minority regarding your statements, at least.

As for the rest of you that have been so supportive and offered advice and opinions that were actually constructive, opinions we listened to and took into consideration…THANK YOU, and I hope we are able to prove successful in our quest to entertain you!…;)

-K

karcreat

Hey All!…;)

Update…

We received a very nice/polite email from Grant/Naylor, asking that we please come up with our own theme music and logo for our animations, as this IS a fan work, and not an ‘official’ RD project…we more than understood, and have been having fun since then coming up with our own logo, original yet ‘recognizably RD’ (done!) and we are currently testing music for our ‘theme’ and opening credits…

Speaking of which, here’s a test version of a possible new theme…let us know what you think, and thank you for all of your interest and support!…;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_XKL8qQdk

-K

redhead85

Ben, I’m intrigued – after having read some of your comics for ‘Jump Leads’, I found the concept highly entertaining and clever (and I can spot your influences), but does my opinion not matter in the grand scheme of things? After all, by your point of argument, any self-created project must be for one’s own gratitude and nothing more?

I’m only a contributer to RD Animated so I’m not part of the decision-making in whether the focus was on a film or series – I’ve been a script consultant for the film (and thrown in the odd line here or there), penned an episode of the series, and am hoping to write another. My reasons are not quite as two-dimensional as you seem to think – yes, there is nothing better than getting appreciative feedback from people watching your work (I really don’t think anyone was here to argue that point – the line ‘created by fans for fans’ is a tagline not a missionary statement) but I also wanted to challenge myself to move from prose writing in fanfiction to script writing, as I’ve always found that much more difficult.

Surely if we’re in it ‘for the same reasons’ as you seem to lump us all in with, then why the animosity?

redhead85

In fact, I’m fairly sure my last post covered that for me, writing is about the enjoyment of a hobby, the ego-sating nature of nice reviews, and that my goal is to write a novel, not script-writing? Or perhaps you missed that.

Seb Patrick

I won’t comment on the other aspects of Ben’s post but he’s absolutely right about the “six minutes” thing (the specific number notwithstanding – we’re talking short films in general here). This is the internet, not television or the cinema. You don’t have a passive audience sitting there for thirty minutes, or a captive audience sitting there for ninety. If you can’t grab attention within the first thirty seconds to a minute of a video, then people will simply go away. That’s just the way internet video works.

A lot of people, and I think you’ve fallen into this trap as well, create things for the internet and structure them based on what they know of television. But it just doesn’t work like that. You need to look at successful examples within the field you’re trying to work – The Guild is a good example as it’s probably one of the most successful out there at the moment, and those eps are between 5-7 minutes long (I think). Red vs Blue is another one. Hell, Dr Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog just won a freaking HUGO. Are you telling me that that didn’t manage to tell a compelling story in the space of three short (okay, 14 minutes each, but that’s still short) episodes? It was tailored for the format.

Just because something’s less than ten minutes long doesn’t mean it’s just a “sketch”. If anything, if your plots can’t fit into a shorter format then there’s probably something wrong with them.

karcreat

Thanks for the comments (which nailed the whole ‘doing artistic stuff/why we do it’ on the head, IMO!), redhead85…you rock…

Plus, dammit…YOU ARE SUCH THE CUTIE!!!…;)

(Hey, unrelated note…is the ’85’ in your screenname the year you were BORN?? Can you REALLY be THAT YOUNG and be such a talented writer? JEEZ!!…)

-K

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I’ve only just started paying attention to this thread, so sorry to wade in like a big eejit. But yes, you should definitely not put up videos longer than 8-10 minutes if you want anyone to watch them. In fact, eight minutes is probably too long to start off with. I’ve worked on a few successful web series (and by successful I mean millions of views, tens of thousands of subscribers, Emmy nominations and Webby wins – these are professional things, not personal projects) and it’s simply a fact that episodes longer than ten minutes are flops, even on established series. The shorter the video, the more views you get, and the higher the proportion of people who’ll watch all the way through.

Also, karcreat – you do know she’s married, right?

redhead85

Personally, I don’t at all disagree with Ben’s/Seb’s/Ian’s comments re: short videos/films etc. A friend of mine is a budding film-maker and has made short (10 mins) as well as feature length and I think they’re as excellent, poignant and loaded as one another, but short films is where it’s at in terms of success initially in the beeezniiiis.

Sorry, what I took issue with was Ben (or indeed anyone) presuming to know what my ambitions/motives/goals in life are just because I’m writing for this project ^__^ Plus I’m in a foul mood anyway with this stoooopid busted knee so perhaps I’m just spoiling for a rumble…

> Also, karcreat – you do know she?s married, right?

Haha, yes he does. We’re friends on facebook.

> is the ?85? in your screenname the year you were BORN??

Indeed, I’m a sprightly 24.

karcreat

Also, karcreat – you do know she?s married, right?

LOL!!!!

Yeah, of course…so am I…and even my WIFE says shes a cutiepie!!…;)

(I think redhead85 knows Im just payin’ her a compliment, Im, like, TWICE her age after all…;)

K

Ben Paddon

I have to stress redhead, I never aimed any of my barb in your direction. Most of my criticism is aimed at karcreat. This is clearly a very personal project for him, and he wants it to do well. I can’t fault him for that. But I’d rather he were being honest about his motives and reasons, and he’s offered no less than three different accounts of why “Red Dwarf: The Animated Series” exists.

That is specifically why I tore into his “by fans for fans” statement, which he completely misunderstood. I don’t doubt whether he or anyone else involved are fans of the show. Indeed, why would you sit down to make an animated “extension” to a series you didn’t like? It really doesn’t feel like you’re doing this for anyone but yourself – for the opportunity to play with the characters and settings, for the praise I imagine you’re anticipating once the first complete thing (be that a short, or a full episode, or what).

I can’t fault redhead at all. She’s lovely, and she feels like a part of G&T. But you, karcreat, do not. You seldom poke out of your little hole to join in with the rest of the kids in the playground. It’s a classic behaviour trait that indicates, to me at least, that the only thing you expect from this community is praise and positive criticism for your project.

It’s also rather telling that rather than actually touch upon any of my criticisms you instead decide to attack my character (adding winky-smilies so as to make the whole thing seem unoffensive and, I’m sure you think, charming). You could have just addressed my points, but instead you decided to tear me a new one. The side-effect this has is that when you then went on to address my points it all came across as rather passive-aggressive. The uppercase “THANK YOU” towards the end there only cemented that feeling.

Just as you seldom pop your head out of this thread to see what the rest of the community is doing, I seldom pop my head in it because this entire project has felt uncomfortable for me since day one. I’d feel differently if you genuinely seemed to want constructive criticism but, y’know, it doesn’t feel like that at all. I’d have far more respect for you if you could just be honest about why you’re doing this rather than throw us varying reasons and then getting spitty when someone calls you on it.

Also: Pious? I assure you, I hardly know the meaning of the word.

[BEN turns to a dictionary, opens it up to the “P” section, and begins to look for the word in question.]

Oh. Right. Well, um. I can’t say I’ve ever been particularly religious, so I’m not sure that’s really appropriate.

Redhead85: You and I seem to be like-minded – I’m hoping I can one day make the transition into writing for a living. I’m working on two sitcoms, a webcomic, another webcomic which I might well end up drawing myself, a feature film script, a web series, and a novel. I can’t do anything short of applaud your ambition, and indeed having recently written a Red Dwarf fan-comic with Kris Carter (he’s still drawing it, incidentally… we might get to see it some time this year if we’re lucky!) I’m very much sitting in the same boat with you. But it seems your reasons for getting involved with the Animated fan-project seem very different from the reasons why it was launched in the first place. Keep in mind, I wasn’t attacking you – as I’ve mentioned, you seem very much a part of the community now, something I can’t really say for karcreat. He’s only here for himself, it seems. I’d love for him to prove me wrong.

Ben Paddon

And I’m not trying to hit on you either, redhead. I’m seeing three girls already and I’m sure at least one of them would take exception to that. :)

Phil

I nominate this thread for Hall of Fame status.

Carlito

Just to go on the defensive a little here, to my understanding (and apologies to the guys if I’m wrong on this) the project was originally launched as a one-off by Pete (lego777) as an opportunity to develop his animation skills, and then Kev (karcreat) who is a successful professional cartoonist by trade – brought his artwork and vision to the table. As it developed and they figured it could make for a neat project to entertain the fans, they brought fellow fans on board (me, Carrie aka redhead etc.)

Our intentions are two fold… to create something ‘Red Dwarf’ that will hopefully entertain the fans of the show if they watch it, and also for us all to dip our respective wicks into developing/exercising areas which interest us… animation, art, writing, voice work…

There are no ill intentions behind it from any angle. We have nothing to gain but life experience. We’re not making money. We may or may not receive praise, but even if we do we will equally expect criticism too. We don’t expect to be ‘noticed’. It’s a fan project. We’re just fans of the show. Yeah, from that respect it could be considered an ego trip ie. “we love Red Dwarf and we?d love the opportunity to actually play with GNP?s toys for a bit.”

So what? Isn’t that true of any fan project? It’s a bit of fun. If the end result is an entertaining collection of Red Dwarf based material, then it’s win-win. We shouldn’t be taken to task for wanting to go about it with a degree of seriousness and encourage feedback from the potential audience. G&T isn’t reflective of every item of feedback we’ve received, just a percentage of it. The ‘movie vs series’ debate got a generally mixed reaction, so we decided to work on both. Out of selfishness? No. It would be SO much easier for us to create six-minute videos, in every aspect of production. If we were only interested in doing things our way, we’d surely choose the easiest way?

We just want to create something we can be proud of and something that will be entertaining.

The former may be self-serving, but the latter has the potential audience at the forefront. The latter is the reason why Pete is spending up to 10 hours on some occasions rendering and re-rendering single scenes. The latter is the reason Kev is taking time away from actual commissioned artwork to produce whatever new character model I’ve dreamed up that week. The latter is the reason why, rather than working on original material which may earn me some money in these lean times, I’m rewriting an RDA script at 4am for the sixth time. The latter is the reason why Damien (Beligium) is enjoying a ‘busman’s weekend’ away from his IT job creating an all-new RDA website. The latter is the reason why Carrie is completely rewriting completed prose RD fanfics into script form. It’s for the love of the show, and a desire to ‘do right’ by our foray into creating an homage to it.

A labour of love which we are eager to share. Nothing more sinister than that.

TheLeen

Can’t we all be friends?

I don’t care much about anyone’s motivation as long as I get to see some animated Dwarf (which may just turn out very funny). I’d prefer short episodes (Episodes of 10 minutes or shorter are not unusual in the cartoon department, even on tv!) but I’ll take longer episodes or a film as well.

So you guys shouldn’t waste time shouting at eadch other but get busy drawing. And everyone else should be constructive or shut up. Okay, so obviously we can’t all be friends, but this is annoying.

[/rant]

redhead85

Thanks for clarifying Ben ^__^ I was having trouble understanding why such a light-hearted, fun project had suddenly seemed so political on this thread. Ah so you’re writing on the Red Dwarf fan comic? I must admit I’ve been checking in to see how it’s all going – let me know when it gets off the ground proper so I can have a looksy.

I agree with the Leen on this one in that I was rather surprised as to why this thread has descended into such heavy discussions. On with the product! Rest assured, Pete and Kevin are working flat out to get the animation sorted – I guess me and Carl are flagging trying to keep up with creative ideas…! I don’t know about the others, but I’d genuinely like some suggestions for script ideas that I can try and develop.

Hummingbird – I know you’ve sent me ideas for me to write as a fan fic for you, not sure if that may be too long though? But your ideas are fab x

Carlito

There’s no hostility on my end. I’m a lover, not a fighter. :)

I still maintain that six minutes is too short… not a general rule, I mean specifically Red Dwarf… there are so many elements to balance with RD. Also I take issue with this statement: “Just because something?s less than ten minutes long doesn?t mean it?s just a ?sketch?. If anything, if your plots can?t fit into a shorter format then there?s probably something wrong with them.”

It doesn’t make any sense. Are you saying that ANY episode of Red Dwarf should feasibly fit within ten minutes?

I’m not saying that it simply cannot be done, I just don’t believe that it can be done satisfactorily. Not with RD, anyway, and not without splitting stories into multi-parts.

And then if people are of the mindset that casual viewers won’t tend to watch anything longer than 6-10 mins, then they’re likely to check out part 1 and not bother with any subsequent parts, right? How can you have an intelligent and satisfying comedic plot, and couple it with humour, character, mythology, science et al, and squeeze all of that into six minutes?

> “It doesn?t feel like you?re really doing this for anyone but yourselves, and to pretend otherwise is dishonest and, to be frank, a little offensive.”

It’s a real shame you feel that way. Pete and Kev have always been more than open to fellow RD fans jumping on board with this project. In fact, when you indicated an interest, you were offered on a couple of occasions to be the voice of Kryten… I even sent you a link to the script and asked if, as a creative person yourself, you would be kind enough to provide feedback… and we had no response whatsoever.

Which is fine, but it’s just an example of how this isn’t some closed-door self serving idea, but a project aimed towards and shaped by RD fans.

Tarka Dal

> Can?t we all be friends?

Remember TheLeen has the power to send all your molecules flying in a thousand different directions.

redhead85

> Remember TheLeen has the power to send all your molecules flying in a thousand different directions.

…like Dark Phoneix from X-men? :-S

karcreat

have to stress redhead, I never aimed any of my barb in your direction. Most of my criticism is aimed at karcreat. This is clearly a very personal project for him, and he wants it to do well. I can?t fault him for that. But I?d rather he were being honest about his motives and reasons, and he?s offered no less than three different accounts of why ?Red Dwarf: The Animated Series? exists.

That not enough fer ya, Ben my boy?…

In all seriousness, i still haven’t a clue as to why you feel the need to be so snarky concerning a project that fans are doing FOR FUN…it’s a bit of a mystery to me.

It?s also rather telling that rather than actually touch upon any of my criticisms you instead decide to attack my character (adding winky-smilies so as to make the whole thing seem unoffensive and, I?m sure you think, charming).

No, wrong again, actually….LOL!

The ‘smileys’ are meant to more or less pinpoint the areas I am commenting on where I am just NOT taking what you had to say seriously…sorry you missed that too!

And as far as my ‘attacking your character’, you actually started that up, Ben..by stating that we were all being dishonest and that you felt ‘lied to’, that we were ‘in this for ourselves’, etc…really, YOU don’t consider THAT a bit ‘personal’?….:) (NOTE: That was a straight on smile, no wink included)…

The side-effect this has is that when you then went on to address my points it all came across as rather passive-aggressive. The uppercase ?THANK YOU? towards the end there only cemented that feeling.

Again, Ben…if your opinions on this mattered to anyone OTHER than yourself, I suppose I would be concerned that others took my statements to have these meanings, but I find that possibilty rather unlikely, soooo….the ‘THANK YOU’ was in all caps as it was SINCERELY directed at all the support we have received on this board, I wanted it noted and to STAND OUT…again, sorry you missed the intention, (you seem to be doing that rather a lot here!) but you instantly twist said attempt into a ‘negative’ from my end…why is this? I have to say you seem, as you have from ‘day one’ IMO, to be the ‘Neagative Nelly’ here…

Just as you seldom pop your head out of this thread to see what the rest of the community is doing, I seldom pop my head in it because this entire project has felt uncomfortable for me since day one.

Ahhh…a masked jibe at me, via where I post, how often I come here and so on…I get it.

Yeah, some moderators have mentioned that ‘why don’t you post elsewhere here too’ bit too, and I have to say, I would LOVE to have the TIME to poke around here at G&T, as most of the people here come across as witty and quite interesting, as to the threads/topics (hell, they’re DOCTOR WHO fans, another of my all time fave shows…how could they NOT all be clever and a bit mad?…;)…sadly, I just do NOT have the time, running two businesses, I’m lucky if if I have ANY free time to devote to ‘Red Dwarf- Animated’…the reason I STARTED this thread here was because I knew there were RD fans here, and I wanted to let them know about our project…I figured they would get a kick out of it, and for the MOST PART, thats been the case.

Believe me, if I HAD the time, this is the one BBS I would LOVE to scan through and post to, but I KNOW myself well enough to know, I would get caught up in some threads and be here for HOURS, (hell, look at how long THIS post is at this point!!…;)

I?d feel differently if you genuinely seemed to want constructive criticism but, y?know, it doesn?t feel like that at all.

‘Constructive criticism’ is not snarky comments like ‘welcome to the internet, cica 1997’, Ben.
    ‘Constructive criticism’ is not stating how ‘from day one’ the entire project has rubbed you wrong.

Its supposed to be CONSTRUCTIVE…please don’t attempt to lecture me concerning what I want and how it should be defined when all you have had to offer has been smarty commentary and negative predictions.

I?d have far more respect for you if you could just be honest about why you?re doing this rather than throw us varying reasons and then getting spitty when someone calls you on it.

Gaining your ‘respect’ is hardly a point I lose sleep over, LOL!

And see, I’ve stated here NUMEROUS times why I am doing all of this, you either ‘don’t buy it’ (whatever…again, no sleep lost there) or you cannot process the info…no idea which it is, all I know is that most posters here seem to have ‘gotten it’, NP.

Oh. Right. Well, um. I can?t say I?ve ever been particularly religious, so I?m not sure that?s really appropriate

You need a new dictionary, Ben.

‘Pious’ can also be defined as ‘marked by false devoutness; solemnly hypocritical’.
    I used the term in reference to your repeated claims to ‘want to be helpful’ here.

Redhead…Keep in mind, I wasn?t attacking you – as I?ve mentioned, you seem very much a part of the community now, something I can?t really say for karcreat. He?s only here for himself, it seems. I?d love for him to prove me wrong.

I have offered you proof again and again, stating why I am doing this project, Ben…I guess at this point if you can’t/won’t see it/understand it, it’s really your problem… could you please leave it at that, and stop with the negative ‘commentary’ and ‘predictions’ at this point, as it’s all pretty redundant and rather ‘glass half empty’.

Thanks in advance….
    -K

karcreat

Thanks, Carl…all stated PERFECTLY, right on the money…

Gee, is it any wonder we took ya on as a writer?…;)

Thanks, my friend…

-K

karcreat

“So you guys shouldn?t waste time shouting at eadch other but get busy drawing. And everyone else should be constructive or shut up. Okay, so obviously we can?t all be friends, but this is annoying.”

Agreed!…;)

Sorry to take time away from the topic at hand, but I felt a bit ‘personally attacked’ by someone that has been nothing but negative towards us and our project from the start, felt it needed addressing…but you are QUITE right…let’s all get back to work and get something done that everyone can enjoy…(thanks, TheLeen…;)

K

Beligium

Wow i picked the right week to get involved in this project… :)

karcreat

Wow i picked the right week to get involved in this project? :)

LOL!!!

Welcome aboard, Beligium…;)

-K

ori-STUDFARM

I’m with TheLeen on this one! Shut up and bring me my Animated Dwarf!! I’ve waited long enough! :D

BTW Pete. I’m booking a hotel for DJ, but thanks for the offer.

hummingbird

Are we playing nicely yet, children?

redhead85

Hi hun – did you get my message?

> Hummingbird – I know you?ve sent me ideas for me to write as a fan fic for you, not sure if that may be too long though? But your ideas are fab x

The guys have asked me to write another script for the series but I’m a bit stumped for ideas. Do you have any ideas? With credit of course!! I wouldn’t steal them away in the night…

Beligium

>Hi hun – did you get my message?

>> Hummingbird – I know you?ve sent me ideas for me to write as a fan fic for you, not sure if that may be too long though? But your ideas are fab x

>The guys have asked me to write another script for the series but I?m a bit stumped for ideas. Do you have any ideas? With credit of course!! I wouldn?t steal them away in the night?

You can ask Carl for the treatment i came up with, I’ll never get round to writing it in all honesty… :)

redhead85

> You can ask Carl for the treatment i came up with, I?ll never get round to writing it in all honesty? :)

He’s probably on the case. I’m sure he’ll give me a poke if I’m needed.

Carlito

Well, this is the first I’m hearing that Mr Beligium isn’t going to be writing it himself, so if you’re happy with that, I’ll send it Carrie’s way…

Beligium

To be honest i’d forgotten all about it :)

Pete Part Three

Perhaps http://www.karcreat.com/RedDwarfAnimated.html could include a dedicated forum?

A bone of contention seems to be that one or two of you aren’t contributing elsewhere on G+T because you’re so busy. Moving this discussion elsewhere would at least deflect that criticism. Especially since this thread is slowly becoming a meet-and-greet for your writing staff.

I don’t really get Ben’s criticism as to why you’re doing this. You can have more than one reason and all of them can be equally valid. However, for me, the prospect of any kind of fan fiction is pretty ghastly. I’ve been burnt in the past and even written some pretty dreadful RD stories when I was a youngling. A six minute episode (or even part of an episode) would be a far better way of tempting people in.

karcreat

Excellent point, RE the forum….and in fact, Pete is already workin’on that, designing a second RDA based site that includes such a forum…

We will post a link to it as soon as its ready to visit…and thank you for your support, man….:)

-K

Ben Paddon

In the course of this debate you have once again shifted your core reasons for wanting to make some animated Red Dwarf. You’ve said it was for the fans. Then you said it was to hone your skills. Then you said it was for the fans again. Now you’ve decided it’s both.

If you’re doing it for the fans then… well, why the Hell are you even engaging with me on this level? If you feel I’m just being offensive and horrible you could just say “Well, sorry you don’t seem to be interested in the project” and move on. Your behaviour, karcreat, not only indicates a certain level of unprofessionalism but also seems to indicate that I’ve struck a nerve with my assessment. And you can’t seem to let it go either, because you’re actively engaging me in the discussion, and in such an aggressive manner too.

If it really were “for the fans” you’d perhaps listen to what people have had to say concerning the length. Particularly Carl’s comments:

I still maintain that six minutes is too short? not a general rule, I mean specifically Red Dwarf? there are so many elements to balance with RD.

After Kris and I locked down the comic script for our story, I took the liberty of re-writing it as a screenplay to add to my writing portfolio. Y’know how many pages it came to? Eight pages, including cover sheet. Going by the Hollywood standard of “one page = one minute” (which is usually not 100% accurate but it’s a good metric to use) I’ve written what is, I think, a good Series I style story that fits nicely into the sort of timeframe that most New Media should be sticking to.

(Hell, if you like I’ll send you a copy of the screenplay after the comic is freely available. I wouldn’t mind seeing you chaps trying to animate it.)

Now onto the second point: If you’re doing this for yourself, for your own personal reasons, to hone your skills… well, the obvious question is why not come up with something new and original? I can understand why you’ve opted to go for a preexisting concept, though…

• The characters already exist. They have personalities, fleshed out histories, and established relationships. You don’t need to do any of that fiddly “coming up with people” stuff, such as designing the look of the characters and how they react to any given situation.
    • Both the location and setting already exist, which means you don’t have to worry about any of that preamble. Saves you the effort of having of having to think of where to put your characters.
    • The premise, despite having changed much over the show’s run, is pretty much already defined – what’s more the beauty of choosing Red Dwarf means you can cherry-pick whichever premise suits the story you want to tell. This saves you time because you don’t have to worry about working out where your characters are going to go.
    • Easily the best bit – because there are people like Carl, redhead85, and myself who would give their mother’s kneecaps to write stories set in the Red Dwarf universe, you don’t actually have to do much at all save for making pictures move and recording dialogue. Fantastic!

Which is all very nice for you, I suppose, because it means you can cut right to the chase- the animating. The animating a full-length movie which you intend to post on the internet and expect people to sit and watch from beginning to end, despite the fact that New Media very evidently doesn’t work well with that sort of thing. Fair enough.

Best of luck to you. Really.

karcreat

“Your behaviour, karcreat, not only indicates a certain level of unprofessionalism but also seems to indicate that I?ve struck a nerve with my assessment.”

Wow.

I ask you politely to ‘let this go’, you ignore said request and post more negative comments about the project, me, etc…and you surely consider THAT ‘professional’?

Please.

I’m as professional as they come, bud.

I don’t make snap judgements regarding others’ work, I don’t throw insults and snarky commentary around without merit.
    I don’t start fights. But if you insult me or my friends, you best count on A RESPONSE.

However, I will attempt to take the high road one last time here, and politely ask you to simply DROP THIS.

I agree with the others here that have made posts asking us to just ‘let this go’ and move on…I would like to do so, we have a lot of work to do on RDA, whether YOU consider it worthwhile or not.

-K

Carlito

Personally, I’m more than happy to sit in front of my PC and watch a stream of a TV show or a movie for 30-90 mins.

I watched the new episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm this morning for half an hour and thought nothing of it. Some days I get lost in Youtube for hours just perusing various vids, professional and amateur alike.

I really don’t get why this length issue is taking up so much forum space. Those who want to watch it will, those who don’t won’t. If the average person is willing to watch six minutes, fine. If we aim to knock them bandy in the first six minutes, maybe they’ll stick around for more, eh?

karcreat

…What he said…;)

-K

Ben Paddon

I’m pretty much done here. I expect I’ll have much more friendly conversations with Carl and redhead elsewhere on G&T, and I expect I shan’t see karcreat outside of this thread at all.

If you need help setting up your own forum I’d be happy to lend a hand.

Best of luck to you.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I must admit, it is getting a tad annoying for the G&T staff to have people using our bandwidth and webspace to conduct their business, whilst taking no interest in contributing to the site in any other way. If it was a bunch of people who’d met on G&T discussing a project, we’d encourage it. And if the topic attracted new members who joined in elsewhere, that’d be fine. But it’s a bit like someone holding a meeting in a pub, hogging a lovely big table and nursing one bottle of mineral water between everyone for five hours.

I’d encourage those of you who aren’t G&T regulars to consider whether you want to start joining in on other threads, and if not, consider whether it’d be more polite to have these discussions elsewhere. We don’t mind you canvassing for opinions (even if you do completely ignore the views of people who make online video for a living), it’s just that some things are better off done in private.

redhead85

Sorry Ian *hangs head in shame* I must admit though, I actually *did* meet these guys through G&T so thank you for facilitating ^__^ I do so love keeping up with this site.

Plus I’m hopefully meeting with the lovely Jo next week – I asked her if you lot would be up for it too. And I’ll buy a bottle of wine, I promise ;-)

Beligium

>I?d encourage those of you who aren?t G&T regulars to consider whether you want to start joining in on other threads, and if not, consider whether it?d be more polite to have these discussions elsewhere. We don?t mind you canvassing for opinions (even if you do completely ignore the views of people who make online video for a living), it?s just that some things are better off done in private.

http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/09/painstakingly-obvious-news-is-painstakingly-obvious#comment-159651
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/09/i-want-this#comment-159649
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/08/welcome-to-shooting-stars#comment-159436
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/08/welcome-to-shooting-stars#comment-159442
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/08/welcome-to-shooting-stars#comment-159448
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/09/derren-brown-the-events#comment-159451
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/09/derren-brown-the-events#comment-159452
    http://ganymede.tv/forum/2009/09/derren-brown-the-events#comment-159457

As i only joined a few days ago, i just wanted to show that i have ventured out of this thread ;)

Also as mentioned earlier, a new site with Forum is under construction and should be with us soon (Yay Drupal!)

I must say i am felling a bit of a clique mentality from this forum. Fair enough it seems that many of you are real life friends who have known each other for years, but as someone who has just joined, and been more than willing to visit other threads, read the articles, etc, i am feeling quite a level of animosity in my general direction which i feel is unwarranted. At the end of the day you don’t have to read the thread if it annoys you, and hell, you could if it bothered you that much, exercise your mod powers and lock the thread, but you haven’t, and i’m guessing that that’s because at the end of the day, we’re all just fans of the same smegging thing. :)

I know that there are egos on both sides, and that people are bigging things up, but that’s just because they’re excited to have such a fun project to play with. At the end of the day, it’s just a few fan tributes, by people who invested alot of time, effort and emotion into them. If you like it great, if you don’t, you don’t have to worry about it, there’s plenty more stuff on the internet :)

I’m just enjoying the excuse to rejoin the Dwarf Universe, watch my DVDs, listen to my audio books, and read old copies of the Smegazine. To me it’s an excuse to collaborate with one of my oldest friends, and hopefully make some new ones, which was why i joined this forum instead of just being a passive contributor. Can’t we just draw a line and go forward from here as a number of other people have suggested. If it goes well, then it’s a fan project that people can enjoy, if we only end up making one, then we’ll all have learnt something to take on to further projects (such as being the first time I’ve used Drupal in my case), if it fails, then at least we’ll have had fun while doing it and that’s all I’m looking for at the end of the day :)

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

> As i only joined a few days ago, i just wanted to show that i have ventured out of this thread ;)

In that case, Ian wasn’t talking about you, so there’s no need to prove yourself.

> I must say i am felling a bit of a clique mentality from this forum.

I’m sorry, this is utter balderdash. There’s a bit of a rough edge to the place, sure, but we’ve had loads of new posters turn up recently and stay, presumably happy with the atmosphere and people. After you made it clear that you’d be using areas other than this thread on the site you got a proper welcome, too.

Beligium

>> I must say i am felling a bit of a clique mentality from this forum.

>I?m sorry, this is utter balderdash. There?s a bit of a rough edge to the place, sure, but we?ve had loads of new posters turn up recently and stay, presumably happy with the atmosphere and people. After you made it clear that you?d be using areas other than this thread on the site you got a proper welcome, too.

Maybe clique was the wrong word to use, i meant more of a “us” vs “them” type of feel with regards to this topic. I just felt instantly like I’d walked into a warfield straight off my first post…

I must admit i’ve not had that feeling in any other thread here so far.

Sorry I’m a bit grouchy today due to being off work with a bad back. :(

Carlito

> If it was a bunch of people who?d met on G&T discussing a project, we?d encourage it.

To be fair to us, that’s basically what it is.

Lego and Karcreat already knew each other from another forum, and Beligium and I know each other *in real life and that* but otherwise everyone involved met on G&T. Red Dwarf Animated is basically the bastard offspring of G&T, it would be a shame if we weren’t allowed to continue discussing it on the very site that formed it.

> We don?t mind you canvassing for opinions (even if you do completely ignore the views of people who make online video for a living)

That’s a bit unfair too. Those who make online video for a living are professionals who have a specific M.O. when doing so. There’s a psychology behind it that we don’t especially need to follow because we’re not in the same boat. We don’t require ‘as many eyes as possible’ on our videos (even though it would be nice), we’re not trying to earn money (and obviously couldn’t anyway for all kinds of legal and moral reasons) or shill anything. We didn’t ignore anyone’s view, we took everything under consideration.

Call us delusional and that’s fine, but we just want to create something that wouldn’t seem out of place were it a real installment of Red Dwarf shown on “proper telly”. We’ll never meet those standards, but we can aspire. To attempt to reach those lofty standards, we simply need more than 6 mins. If you all still agree with the “six minute rule” even when our first episode/movie goes online, maybe we’ll break it down into parts. But we’re not doing anyone any harm, and who knows, you may all get a kick out of it when it’s done? I hope so.

Seb Patrick

>I must admit i?ve not had that feeling in any other thread here so far.

… which should tell you that there’s something about this thread in particular. It’s been alluded to who we’re talking about, but just to make it clear: the problem we have is with certain individuals arriving unheralded on the site and saying “We’ve got this project, you’re all Dwarf fans, do any of you want to get onboard?”, without ever taking the time to get to know the community and people beforehand.

And having harvested a ready-made source of fans (one that has been gathered together, essentially, as a result of the creators of this site’s work, time, effort, money and bandwidth), said people are now using the site as their own personal advertising board – without ever going elsewhere on the site. And we know, because we have logs, whether certain people are only ever coming to this thread or going elsewhere.

Now, we’re not being heavy-handed about this. If we had “rules” on it, we could take a hardline – lock the thread, ban the users, whatever. We don’t want to do that, we’re merely point out why we personally don’t really like it. Our interests are in fostering a community – not in having a little corner of the site that shuts itself off and doesn’t interact.

This doesn’t refer to existing users who’ve got involved with the project and want to talk about it here (even if we argue with some of you sometimes, we’re glad of every single regular visitor to the site), or those who’ve come along as a result of it and got involved elsewhere. Merely those who’ve come along with a specific purpose – to tap the pool of willing fans to (a) get involved and (b) watch the thing – and not given anything back.

It’s not the first time we’ve had this debate, but even the ScutterCast guys saw what we were getting at, and we get along fine with them (well, with ori-STUDFARM – I don’t think anyone else posts here, which is fine, that’s their choice!) now…

Phil

Who farted?

Carlito

Andre the Giant.

ori-STUDFARM

And now I feel all warm inside……

ori-STUDFARM

BTW. That was made to try and bring a smile….there was no sarcastic intent in that comment.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

I think everyone involved in this animation should remember that the comments made by the mods (or staff, or cunts, or whatever you want to call us) are designed to be fair and not attack you. We’ve not closed the thread we’re just bringing to your attention some of the things that bother us, and we’re not looking for a big bitch fight as a result.

Carlito

Noted. We come in peace (said the Deaf Masturbation Society spokesman)

Beligium

All i want is calm, and maybe a doughnut. :)

Carlito

How about a doughnut but instead of sugar, powdered Kalms sprinkled over the top of it?

I once wrote a novel about doughnuts but it never got published – too many plot holes.

Beligium

You always were a bit jammy.

ChrisM

>Personally, I?m more than happy to sit in front of my PC and watch a stream of a TV show or a movie for 30-90 mins.

Me too, actually, if I know what I’m getting, i.e. an episode of a tv show I missed off the telly, etc.

For something starting off though I can see the point of keeping within the 6-10 minute time-frame, at least in starting off. Sure this might be considered different as it’s based on a preexisting series, but it’s still a different project. It could be completely different in tone ans style for all we know.

That being said, I don’t have a problem sitting for longer myself but keeping it to small chunks to hook in new people might not be a bad thing.

As for this:
    >It doesn?t make any sense. Are you saying that ANY episode of Red Dwarf should feasibly fit within ten minutes?

Most episodes of Red Dwarf are self contained stories. Having 8 minute episodes doesn’t mean you should tell the whole story in 8 minutes though. Someone earlier pointed to Dr Horrible as an example. There you have several short episodes but they all make one story. It does mean that you have to keep your small chunks (oo-er) within logical plot parameters, but there’s no reason why a story can’t span several episodes.

Kris Carter

I think, EVERYBODY’s right – except me, so just forget I spoke, okay?

Carlito

> For something starting off though I can see the point of keeping within the 6-10 minute time-frame, at least in starting off.

I may have neglected to mention this through the whole run-time debate, which – if I did – is a bit puzzling, but our very VERY first video, a sort of mini-pilot called Timehole, probably does run to around the 6 minute mark (and I think it’s practically finished too, so should be viewable very soon)

It was written by Kev at the earliest stages of the project (with a bit of editing from myself later on) and you may have seen some test animation on the website or posted on here.

I should stress, it’s more of an extended test animation/preparation so it’s not neccessarily indicative of the quality of the series/movie so when it does go online I hope people won’t be too quick to judge us on the basis of it… I’m not saying its bad, I just mean that it probably suffers a little with the underdevelopment problem that I noted, being so short and all, and I think we’ll churn out some quite interesting stuff with those reigns lifted, but still it’s a little taster. That should be online within the next week or two, methinks, but don’t hold me to that!

ChrisM

“For something starting off though I can see the point of keeping within the 6-10 minute time-frame, at least in starting off. “

So I was talking about ‘starting off’ then?
    Dear me, I really should reread my posts before submitting.

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

That’s all well and good, but what about something that’s starting off?

Jo TORDFC

>> If it was a bunch of people who?d met on G&T discussing a project, we?d encourage it.

>To be fair to us, that?s basically what it is.

Except that it’s not. You got involved with the project after it was posted on here, you and a bunch of G&T regulars didn’t come up with the idea and post this thread to see if other posters were interested.
    You were already a poster on G&T and you continue to roam outside of this thread as does Carrie. As I understand it the Karcreat rarely, if ever, ventures outside of this thread and wasn’t a G&T poster before the thread was started.

There is an almost identical thread on TOS forums and no doubt on many other RD forums. This thread was started by someone who wanted to collect people for a project, but has shown no interest in mixing with the rest of the people on here or getting involved in any other conversations. Even those about RD, which I find a little odd from someone claiming to be a RD fan. If anything I’d say that his was the cliquey attitude.

I don’t think the G&T team are attacking the project, in fact I think you’d be hard pressed to find a group of people who were more enthusiastic about encouraging fan activity on the internet. The problem seems to lie with the fact that Karcreat has used the website, which the G&T team have worked very hard on for many years, for his own purposes without having the good grace to contribute to the G&T community. I don’t think you can really blame them for being slightly pissed off can you?

(Just to make this clear I’m not speaking for anyone else, this is purely my view on the subject.)

Carlito

Nobody thinks G&T are attacking the project. It was just an argument between Karcreat and Ben, which is over now, it seems.

There are similar threads on other forums, to promote the online show. It makes sense to inform those who are actually likely to watch any of it ie. the Red Dwarf internet fans. Also, people make it sound almost like we’re stealing space from the site to advertise the project… which may be true in a way, but we just want to offer the people who are most likely to have an actual genuine interest the chance to see it. We’d love lots of people to watch, but the bottom line is that it makes zero difference if 10 people or 100 people watch, so its not so much advertising as just being public with a project that should interest some G&Ters.

It may have started as a couple of guys from another board posting a thread on here, but as its evolved its involved peeps from here, and there are more (regular, visible) G&Ters on the RDA team than non-G&Ters, as it currently stands.

Beligium is working on the brand spanking new RDA website at the moment, which contains its own forum (simply to discuss the project – won’t be competition!) so hopefully anybody interested enough to keep up with the progress will check the new site out when it goes live and bookmark it, and maybe even join the forum, so that we’re not causing unwanted hassle on here and elsewhere.

That’s not to say that once the site opens we flutter off never to be seen again, not at all… nobody’s ‘using’ this site… I’ve been coming to this site for years, and posting on the forum for around a year, long before the RDA project. I’ve practically abandoned the (non-Dwarf) message board I used previously for over a decade, because I so much prefer this one. I simply mean that all the heated debates and long discussions and self-defence etc etc can take place over there, and we can keep our input to this thread upbeat and informative to those interested without getting bogged down in these kinds of issues.

I guess what my point is… okay, maybe Karcreat doesn’t comment often in other threads (although he did confess very soon upon his arrival here – ironically enough, in another thread – that he’s very strapped for time and probably wouldn’t be able to contribute as much as he’d like) but there are people involved in RDA now that do contribute to the community fairly often, and Karcreat isn’t the sole representative of the project… so a beef with Karcreat shouldn’t be a beef with RDA as a whole. We’ve ALL been plugging the project on here, not just Kev.

Jo TORDFC

Karcreat doesn’t get involved in any other threads, ever. If memory serves I believe the other thread he posted in once since his arrival was him plugging this again. This is my point.

>so a beef with Karcreat shouldn?t be a beef with RDA as a whole

It isn’t! You keep replying to things not aimed at you!

Carlito

No, I meant generally speaking, I didn’t mean you personally were saying that. Some people seem to take issue with the project being discussed here on the basis that Karcreat doesn’t post in other threads, but I’m saying he freely admits to this and confesses he doesn’t have time to, but this is a project being passionately worked on by people other than Karcreat too, people who do devote a lot of time to the G&T community.

karcreat

The problem seems to lie with the fact that Karcreat has used the website, which the G&T team have worked very hard on for many years, for his own purposes without having the good grace to contribute to the G&T community. I don?t think you can really blame them for being slightly pissed off can you?

I would hope they are not actually ‘pissed off’ that does seem a bit ridiculous….

I was under the impression that a board/threads like this exist for the purpose of meeting in a particular area (thread) to engage in a discussion that interests you….I had no intention of coming here and posting ‘for my own purposes’ (not even sure what that is meant to mean, LOL, as our project is purely non-profit and being done just for fun and to entertain like minded fans)…I have attempted o explain why I do not engage in conversations in other threads here, as interesting as the topics DO in fact seem…I would think that the moderators/G&T team would appreciate the fact that they have someone visiting their site and enjoying it, even if it is in just one given area.

This idea that in order to be ‘accepted’ I would need to jump around and make numerous posts in other threads seems a bit childish to me, tho as I have stated, by having NOT done this I certainly did not mean to piss anyone off…why would I do that in the first place, what purpose would that serve?

I came here via a link while seaching for ‘Red Dwarf fan boards’, never thinking for a minute that a post to bring attention to a like minded fan project would cause such unrest among the populace here…for that, I do apologize, I never meant to cause problems…just wanted to meet up with other Red Dwarf fans.

Again, sorry if my initial posts and tendancy to ‘stick to one thread’ have angered anyone.

-K

Beligium

Let’s all give peas a chance…

karcreat

Whirled peas?

peas_and_corn

someone call?

Beligium

Lol

Carlito

For those of you DESPERATELY waiting for updates (lol) be assured that our brand new website, coupled with the debut of a special 6 minute promotional short, launches very VERY soon.

In fact, we expect to be posting all the relevant information rightchere around this time next week (after you jammy fuckers get back from DJ) so watch this space!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 307 posts - 1 through 307 (of 307 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.