Red Dwarf easter egg in Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf easter egg in Star Trek Deep Space Nine

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  flanl 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

quinn_drummer

This picture is pretty blurry, but if you look down the list you can see what looks like Diva Droid Corporation

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/0/01/Promenade_Directory.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080321163507&path-prefix=en

This is a directory of businesses that have unit space on the promenade on Deep Space 9.

A quick check on memory alpha, the Star Trek wiki, confirms it, and that it is a reference Red Dwarf

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Diva_Droid_Corporation

Darrell

There’s also a subtle Dwarf reference in the TNG episode ‘Clues’ – if you look closely, you can see the entire script for ‘Thanks For The Memory’ nicked by a fan who got his unsolicited spec script produced because no-one had spotted what he’d done.

KyoSo

And Voyager made a subtle reference to Red Dwarf by having the same premise.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I don’t think Data would exist if it wasn’t for Kryten.

Seb Patrick

I was just about to reach for the telephone to call my lawyer, when something happened which made me laugh.

Darrell

I was about to say something pithy about the Piece Of The Action/A Fistful Of Datas/Gunmen Of The Apocalypse love triangle but the subject always breaks me. Rob & Doug write a Dwarf episode specifically as a tribute to a classic TOS episode but end up making an insanely close copy of a TNG episode that they can’t possibly have seen in time to have been influenced by (even if they’d seen it in the US or via the then-quite-active bootleg circuit, Gunmen started shooting location work only a few short months later). It’s like a real life XI episode.

What strikes me is that if Michael Okuda was a big enough fan to put a Dwarf reference on the DS9 set, then he would have known what a ripoff Clues was, and to a lesser extent ‘The Game’ as well. It’s a web of intrigue.

Cloud Strife

Here is a cleaner version someone made up. It also had the JMC on it which I had heard about before.

Plastic Percy

The list is full of references to other shows, books and films.

Banzai Institute – Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension
    Cavor’s Gravity Devices – The First Men in the Moon
    Del Floria’s Tailor Shop – The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    Diet Smith Corporation – Dick Tracy
    Diva Droid International – Red Dwarf
    Forbin Project – The Forbin Project
    Milliways – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
    Sirius Cybernetics Corporation – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
    Spaceley Sprockets – The Jetsons
    Tom Servo’s Used Robots – Mystery Science Theater 3000
    Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems – Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension

John Hoare

G&T Admin

There’s also a subtle Dwarf reference in the TNG episode ‘Clues’ – if you look closely, you can see the entire script for ‘Thanks For The Memory’ nicked by a fan who got his unsolicited spec script produced because no-one had spotted what he’d done.

I have to say, I’d always thought the similarities with Clues were just a coincidence, but I hadn’t realised the original story and script were by someone with NO OTHER CREDITS ANYWHERE ON TELEVISION EVER.

I’d be very intrigued to read the original script now, before Menosky rewrote it. Piller said the rewrite was “mostly restructuring caused by the departure of Wil Wheaton and a major dialogue polish”, FWIW.

Darrell

It’s not a unique example in TNG either – that delightfully filthy one in season 7 where Crusher has a big wank in the woods over a ghost (official synopsis) is so comprehensively plagiarised from the Anne Rice novel ‘The Witching Hour’ that until fairly recently it was assumed the writer was Rice under a pseudonym, and not just another unsolicited opportunist. My wife is/was a big Anne Rice fan and when that episode was last on the BBC in 2008 (ah, nice memories of watching those late night repeats together despite the DVDs being in the same room) she actually asked me if Rice wrote it without knowing anything about the rumour (and this was before it was formally disproven).

I can’t talk anyway – for my English SATs aged 11, I rewrote Flat Stanley beat for beat and passed with flying colours. Maybe I should have sent it to Paramount as well.

cwickham

Wesley Clocher

flanl

I’ve just gone and watched Clues, can’t decide if it would have been better or worse without having known this first.

Amazing plot though, don’t know who comes up with these ideas.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.