Red Dwarf fan-edits

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf fan-edits

This topic contains 56 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  KyoSo 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Wilhelm scream

I recently started doing fan-edts of Red Dwarf. While I only have 2 DVD’s so far (Back to Earth and series X). I just wanted to get an idea what you guys what to see from the edits, which I will consider. I am going to skip series VIII becasue it’s unfixble in my eyes. I already did back to Earth and will start doing series X soon.

http://somecallmejames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/red-dwarf-back-to-earth-no-coronation.html

Jonsmad

Fair enough its your taste of edit. Not to mine having read it. There are a couple of back to earth
    Recuts i would make if i could be bothered more minimal. I would cut rimmers line “we read about that in history.” Might experiment with laughs track over ep one section only. I might sub the toilet talk bunk
    Store scene for the actual bunk scene jammy dodger story if there was a clever way to switch those over from the deleted scene. Keep most eveything else.

Did you cut the last kochanski scene line “i dont take any smeg”, cus i think youve
    Undermined his character arc of believing in himself again and surely the underlining
    Arc of his realisation of kryten lying to him thats played out across
    Scenes you have and havnt cut is damaged also in your edit? Not that
    Ive watched, just read the blog.

Still fun to have a fan edit.

I would say a version of fathers and sons removing or
    Re dubbing Taiwan Tony would probably be popular around these waters.
    Quite easy to do probably except in the finale call back.

You could fix Trojan so that sim Crawford doesn’t beam away and then still apear
    On left of frame after she had already left.

Re do dear dave with the Trollop alternative,

Take entangled, have the chimp evole into a moose and the fade to black.

srmcd1

I’ve done fan edits of nearly every single episode. Series VII and VIII, I reduced to simple hour long features. Might do proper individual edits of VII later, but VIII really works better as one big prison story so you don’t have to watch all eight episodes.

KyoSo

If you do continue to do fan-edits, can you keep them in their original 4:3 aspect ratio? There times in the Only the Good edit where Rimmer’s entire head was cropped off.

Phil

“Rimmer’s entire head was cropped off.”

All in all, a 100% successful edit.

Wilhelm scream

Don’t worry, when I start doing fan-edits of Red Dwarf again, I will keep the episodes in the original aspect ratio they were filmed in.

Cloud Strife

I am currently working on an Edit of the series VIII spectacular “Pete part 1” I am currently increasing the “see you in 10 minutes” part to repeat even more. I have it up to 3 hours now.

International Debris

I’m doing a fan-edit of VIII which includes every episode and all of the deleted scenes, in full, plus some extended shots I’ve worked in myself, all in one episode. Red Dwarf: The Tank (Debris Cut). It’s going to be just over five hours in total. Can’t wait to share the full thing with you all!

peas_and_corn

Include Cloud’s cut of Pete.

International Debris

That part will be extended to run for exactly ten minutes, fittingly.

By Jove its holmes

Can we have a re-edit of Tikka to Ride where L, K, R and C beat up JFK?

“She is still pretty young but starting to look like a looker nonetheless. i think she rather liked me and now I wouldn’t be surprised if she has a thing for me. The knee breeches are cut tight to show off my crotch at its best, and the uniform – worn by everyone but Dad at these Court functions – seems to have caught the polite eye of the young heir.”

22-year-old future President John F. Kennedy, writing in a letter in 1939 to his friend (and future U.S. Senator from Rhode Island Claiborne Pell), on his interaction with the <i>13-year-old</i> future Queen Elizabeth II at a royal function for diplomats hosted by King George VI that JFK attended (in traditional court dress) alongside his father, U.S. Ambassador Joseph P. Kennedy.

Dave Wallace

Given that Tikka directly follows an episode in which it’s established that the crew could (under the right circumstances) become friendly with the Hitlers, I think it would be a bit out-of-character for them to then be shown getting so morally uptight about obscure letters written by historical figures.

By Jove its holmes

it’s just the whole “repulsive creep” vibe JFK gives off in that quote. Mind you Paul McCartney sang at age 22 about a girl who was “only 17” (i,e. freshly at the age of consent)

Jonsmad

Do a fan edit of pete and the beginning to recreate Captain holister instead of being licked by a dino, having the rob inserted up his penis and then you’ve got one scene from the red dwarf movie in the can.

Jonsmad

rod. (typo, dont put rob grant up his cock, he’s fat enough.)

Dave Wallace

it’s just the whole “repulsive creep” vibe JFK gives off in that quote.

Well he ends up dead by the end of the episode, if it’s any consolation.

Mind you Paul McCartney sang at age 22 about a girl who was “only 17” (i,e. freshly at the age of consent)

Maybe that’s where Lister got the idea for the jailbait ballgirl.

By Jove its holmes

“Mister Rimmer, you have as much right as anybody to win the the Nice Person of the Year Award. There’s only one thing against you, the fact that you’re a repulsive creep!”

“Nobody’s perfect!”

Wilhelm scream

Since I noticed a couple of you were talking about Tikka to Ride, and that got me thinking for an Out of Time edit, something like this:

-Open episode with inital distress call from Tikka before he mentions what happend last time- before going to title sequence.

-Cut out the crap with Lister being an android since it makes ZERO sense.

-Maybe add some of the deleted scenes (I will have to purchase the DVD’s first, I have only seen the episodes on Dave so far).

-Cut the ‘To be continued’ so we cut from the explosion to the rest of Lister’s distress call before the camera blows up, Kryten complains about it before Lister makes a second distress call before going to closing credits.

What do you guys think?

KyoSo

-Cut out the crap with Lister being an android since it makes ZERO sense.

It’s almost as if it happened inside an unreality bubble.

Wilhelm scream

That’s not my problem with it. The problem with it is that Kryten knows Lister is a human and he has seen it proved on multiple occasions (in Legion for example, Lister had his appendix removed it again, somehow, but still proves he’s a human), so there is no reason why Kryten would automatically believe that Lister is an android.

flanl

Perhaps Legion was doing that to aid Lister in keeping his disguise. There wasn’t any blood, you’ll remember.

NoFro

The guys know Cat, having spent years travelling space with him, so it’s unrealistic that they’d suddenly forget him because of an unreality bubble.

Dave Wallace

To be honest, quite a lot of the stuff in the unreality bubbles doesn’t line up with the show’s established reality. What a plot hole! You would have thought someone would catch it at the script stage.

si

A man on a spaceship three million years from Earth. What’s that about? Completely unrealistic.

Phil

Also, I heard that they don’t even film this show in space. It’s really pathetic all around.

Hamish

I think Kryten may be a guy in a mask.

flanl

And what’s this I hear about that the actors for Rimmer and Lister weren’t actually controlling each others’ bodies in Bodyswap?

si

They didn’t even cut Craig Charles’ arm off on Epideme.

Darrell

No dwarves in it neither.

Dave Wallace

No dwarves in it neither.

Not according to Hilary Kingsley.

KyoSo

That’s not my problem with it. The problem with it is that Kryten knows Lister is a human and he has seen it proved on multiple occasions (in Legion for example, Lister had his appendix removed it again, somehow, but still proves he’s a human), so there is no reason why Kryten would automatically believe that Lister is an android.

The unreality bubble removing Cat also affected their memory of him, so how does it not make sense that they’d accept the unreality where Lister is a robot? The unreality is shown to affect their minds and memory as well as the physical reality.

I’m not just thinking of ways to justify it after the fact, this is always how it’s made sense to me while watching it.

Dollar Pound

next you’ll be telling me that wasn’t a cloche in the episode krysis

Dollar Pound

or that it isn’t possible to grow that many dreadlocks out of that small an area of your head

KyoSo

If nothing else, I doubt you could cut the RoboLister stuff without breaking the episode. It leads up to the discovery of the unreality bubbles, and without that explanation you’d need to cut that whole section of the episode.

Not even Remastered would try to do something that jarring.

flanl

Wait, you mean his dreadlocks can’t actually grow back in five minutes?

International Debris

There’s actually an 18 month gap between Bodyswap and Timeslides to allow for Lister’s dreads to grow back.

flanl

Is this a record for most time they’ve stayed in one bunkroom?

si

Is this a record for most time they’ve stayed in one bunkroom?

If you exclude the first 3,000,002 years or so.

flanl

Fine. Most nights they’ve slept in one.

Seb Patrick

1. In the words of Christof, “We accept the reality of the world with which we’re presented.”

2. Kryten’s immediate jump to believing that Lister is a droid is driven by a sense of righteous outrage that he’s been forced to serve him all these years. This takes a significant amount of rationality out of his thought – all he can focus on is “Lister is a droid! The nerve!” rather than thinking about whether or not it’s true. Ironically, the fact that Lister has broken Kryten’s programming, meaning that he’s capable of emotion, helps in this; whereas if it hadn’t happened, you’d assume that logic would have overridden it.

3. If you suggest that Out of Time would be in ANY WAY better without the “Making us believe Mr Lister was… oh my” moment, then you are a DAMNED FOOL.

Dave Wallace

Kryten’s immediate jump to believing that Lister is a droid is driven by a sense of righteous outrage that he’s been forced to serve him all these years. This takes a significant amount of rationality out of his thought – all he can focus on is “Lister is a droid! The nerve!” rather than thinking about whether or not it’s true. Ironically, the fact that Lister has broken Kryten’s programming, meaning that he’s capable of emotion, helps in this; whereas if it hadn’t happened, you’d assume that logic would have overridden it.

I think this is definitely all part of the humour of that part of the episode, but not really part of the explanation, which is pretty simple: the unreality bubble prevents him from remembering anything that contradicts the ‘Lister is a droid’ story (just like it prevents the crew from knowing about the Cat a little later).

si

If you suggest that Out of Time would be in ANY WAY better without the “Making us believe Mr Lister was… oh my” moment, then you are a DAMNED FOOL.

I actually still tap my chest like that whenever i’m pondering something.

KyoSo

-Maybe add some of the deleted scenes (I will have to purchase the DVD’s first, I have only seen the episodes on Dave so far).

I also object to the idea of adding back in deleted scenes just to add back in deleted scenes. Decide based on the merit of the actual material, don’t just restore deleted scenes because you can. They were each cut for a reason, and cramming them back in haphazardly is at the very least going damage the pacing.

Wilhelm scream

That’s why I said maybe. Also, when I do Samsara, I’m going to cut out the flashbacks since they just slow down the pacing of the episode to a standstill. And I’m going to create a new ending to series 7 so that I won’t have to do series 8 since I hate series 8 and I consider it unfixable.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Are you a parody?

Darrell

I’m going to re-edit Legion to put the intro2 music video in and remove all the stuff with that green bastard.

flanl

I’m gonna re-edit all of series XII so that it’s just three hours of them saying ‘MILF’ because none of the rest of it was funny enough.

Wilhelm scream

No. Why would you think I am a parody? If you don’t beleieve that I am a fan-editor, then here is my IFDB page: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/thunderbirds-trapped-in-the-sky-international-rescue-edition/

Ben Paddon

I’m still hoping some bugger’ll come along and do an extended cut of “Holoship”.

flanl

Would that just be a bunch of Nirvanah asking for sex then Rimmer apologizing for saying Geronimo so much on a loop?

International Debris

Yes, if any episode needs it, it’s Holoship. I always found the pace of it really strange, so the myriad deleted scenes make so much sense. Holoshop: The Original Assembly would be great.

quinn_drummer

“And I’m going to create a new ending to series 7 so that I won’t have to do series 8 since I hate series 8 and I consider it unfixable.”

Ignoring the ridiculousness of the whole comment, anyone could easily just ignore the entirety of series 8 and just jump from 7 to BtE.

Think about it. Final shot, Starbug flies into the landing bay of Red Dwarf … credits. Next shot in the continuity of the show (without 8) would be Red Dwarf in its non-pencil form flying through space with the caption 9 years later.

The only question that would need to be answered would be where did Rimmer come from. However, with him having not been seen brought back to life by the nano-bots we would just assume its the original Rimmer returned from being Ace. There wouldn’t be the ambiguity there is, even if it is heavily hinted this is the case anyway.

There’d be 2 scenes in The Beginning which would raise questions, “what are the chamelionic life forms” they mention. But that would just be something that happened in the previous 9 years that we haven’t seen. It would just be back story that’s mentioned and that’s it.

As long as no other events from series 8 are mentioned at any point in the shows future, you could easily skip over it and you wouldn’t miss anything.

Wilhelm scream

When I edit the beginning, I will remove the references to series 8.

As for the new ending, here is what I have planned:

-New music as we got shots of Red Dwarf (from series X and cropped into a 4:3 aspect ratio).

-Shot of Starbug from Trojan approaching Red Dwarf.

-Shot of Starbug landing in Red Dwarf (shot from either Angels and Demons or clean model shots from the DVD’s, not sure which one, but I’m pretty sure it’s there).

-End credits

And I have to create a new ending becasue series 7 ends on a cliffhanger, with Red Dwarf constantly changing size.

Hamish

You really do not need to create a new ending – just cut it at “Riiiiight! Nice re-build! Those nano-dudes have done a real neat job.”

Back on Red Dwarf, problem solved.

quinn_drummer

What Hamish said would work perfectly

Wilhelm scream

I’m also thinking off adding a post-credit scene of Rimmer returning to Red Dwarf.

KyoSo

And I have to create a new ending becasue series 7 ends on a cliffhanger, with Red Dwarf constantly changing size.

Constantly? I mean they turned the planetoid back into Red Dwarf, and then shrank it down in the beginning of Series 8. I’d hardly call one time at the beginning of Series 8 constantly. I mean if someone ate roast beef one time at the beginning of Series 8, one would hardly say that person constantly eats roast beef. No, it would be a rare nay freak occurrence.

Possibly mad?!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 57 posts - 1 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.