Red Dwarf, Let it Lie and Move on

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf, Let it Lie and Move on

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Steve Harris

Well, it seems 99% of fans are ok but the other 1% are mad, clearly…

It would seem that anyone thinking of buying any Red Dwarf product in the future are wrong, these people should let it lie and move on..

Wise words perhaps.

Given that he was involved in the last (recent) release and I believe is involved in the next, surely this isn’t the best way of selling them…

Norman, I salute you, what a guy.

http://www.comedybunker.co.uk/reviews/normaninterview07.jpg

Read and discuss…

Seb Patrick

Excellent journalism there, making it sound like the fans asking “will there ever be a film” is based on us all being sad twats who are asking them to make something they’re not intending to, and not the fact that THERE ARE ACTUALLY PLANS FOR ONE.

Anonymous

Well I don’t think the film will happen. I wish I could prove it but I don’t have a time machine. So I guess you’re all going to have to waste your lives waiting for it aren’t you.

Seb Patrick

Yes, I decided a while back to just sit still and not actually do anything until the movie is made – so I suppose I’m wasting my life, yeah.

I don’t actually have the faith in the prospect of the movie that some of my peers do. I’m not sure it’s all that likely to happen. It’s not that I don’t trust the efforts of Doug and all at GNP – it’s that I don’t trust the industry to make it happen. But ffs, no-one knows for definite that it’s not going to happen, just as no-one knows that it’s definitely going to. Some people are excited by the prospect, and to varying degrees. Others just aren’t. I doubt anyone’s life actually hinges on it, though.

And, as sceptical as I personally am, the one thing you have to keep telling yourself is this – no-one ever thought Doctor Who had a snowball in hell’s chance of making a comeback, let alone becoming the country’s biggest non-soap TV programme. No-one ever thought Spider-Man would come out of the rights hell that it was mired in for almost a decade (less time than the Dwarf movie’s been in the planning stages). Heck, no-one thought Indiana Jones IV would ever happen, either…

Tarka Dal

or Chinese Democracy.

Oh wait… I’m with Seb on this. I’m sceptical but you can’t catergorically deny it’s potential exsistence. Well unless you are Jack Doherty.

No one is wasting their life waiting either. It’s such a redundant statement. On seconds thoughts perhaps one person is and that one person would be Doug. However if that is the case I wish detractors would have a go at him specifically. Oh wait, no that wouldn’t be a good idea if you are Norman Lovett would it.

Steve Harris

I,m beginning to think it may just be me that find some of the comments almost laughable but I found some genuine amusement in the interview. In particular, I liked the “Red Dwarf was a long time ago now, but it can be difficult to fight off”.

I can fully understand Norman being pissed off at some people seeing him as a one trick pony and not acknowledging that he had a life before and after Dwarf, but ‘fight off’ has to be a joke surely..

I tend to look at the efforts that have been made to ‘fight off’ the Dwarf tag only recently.

Memorabilia (last November): whilst selling ‘beat the geek’ (oddly a very recent Dwarf release, starring the man himself).
    Norman was there in person with Hattie surrounded by Dwarf merchandise and posters, selling autographs to Dwarf fans!
    Then there were a number of radio interviews designed to plug Red Dwarf.
    Memorabilia, the year before, I paid a tenner for a signed ‘Holly’ photo.
    At the start of this year, Norman could be found recording bits for the forthcoming ‘remastered’ DVD release.
    Hmmm, I could go on, but wont..

Maybe Norman is being forced to appear at these events, recordings etc against his will, perhaps he’s doing it out of some kind of duty, hell, it could even be the money!

I love Norman, he’s been great for Dwarf and the fans over the years and is a good comedian but at best, he’s sending out mixed messages.

He’s suggested that GNP have been stringing the fans along regarding the Movie, he’s implying that some fans have nothing in their lives other than the prospect of a movie and now he claims to be almost type cast and ‘wants’ to fight this off.

It reads to me that it’s him that needs to “let it lie and move on” rather than the fans who continue to ‘enjoy’ Dwarf and remain ‘hopeful’ that there’s still the ‘posibility’ of good things to come.

Maybe some fans do have a movie fixation, but I’m more than happy with what we’re given. Red Dwarf, the series, may well have been a long time ago but the Dwarf experience is very much alive and on-going.

If thinking that makes me ‘weird’ so be it.

Anonymous

I’m pretty sure if it was a good script it would have received funding by now. I suspect that they’re going around with a script that they think is the best thing ever (with the kind of enthusiasm that they show for series VIII on the DVD documentary) but that everyone else who reads it thinks isn’t very good (the kind of view that anyone with brains holds of series VIII). Since they have no misgivings about the quality of series VIII I can hold out very little hope that the movie will be any different.

Leelu

> I?m pretty sure if it was a good script it would have received funding by now.

Based on what I’ve heard of the film, TV and publishing industries, that logic doesn’t hold. :) Excellent screenplays, teleplays and manuscripts may languish for a long time, while crap movies and shows get funding and “pulp” fiction is mass-produced. The people with the money generally want to copy the financial successes of what has been done before, so original ideas are much harder to sell.

Steve Harris

Interesting argument that the script may be less brilliant than we’re being told, I dont think I’ve read that one before..

Of course, taking the usual synical anti-VIII view is fair enough, but for the all important ‘bums-on-seats’ point of view, series VIII speaks for itself in comparison to the others.

Strangely perhaps, I can see several reasons for the movie not getting funding but have every faith in the script. Time will tell..

John Hoare

G&T Admin

I,m beginning to think it may just be me that find some of the comments almost laughable but I found some genuine amusement in the interview. In particular, I liked the ?Red Dwarf was a long time ago now, but it can be difficult to fight off?.

I can fully understand Norman being pissed off at some people seeing him as a one trick pony and not acknowledging that he had a life before and after Dwarf, but ?fight off? has to be a joke surely..

I tend to look at the efforts that have been made to ?fight off? the Dwarf tag only recently.

Memorabilia (last November): whilst selling ?beat the geek? (oddly a very recent Dwarf release, starring the man himself).
    Norman was there in person with Hattie surrounded by Dwarf merchandise and posters, selling autographs to Dwarf fans!
    Then there were a number of radio interviews designed to plug Red Dwarf.
    Memorabilia, the year before, I paid a tenner for a signed ?Holly? photo.
    At the start of this year, Norman could be found recording bits for the forthcoming ?remastered? DVD release.
    Hmmm, I could go on, but wont..

Maybe Norman is being forced to appear at these events, recordings etc against his will, perhaps he?s doing it out of some kind of duty, hell, it could even be the money!

I love Norman, he?s been great for Dwarf and the fans over the years and is a good comedian but at best, he?s sending out mixed messages.

He?s suggested that GNP have been stringing the fans along regarding the Movie, he?s implying that some fans have nothing in their lives other than the prospect of a movie and now he claims to be almost type cast and ?wants? to fight this off.

It reads to me that it?s him that needs to ?let it lie and move on? rather than the fans who continue to ?enjoy? Dwarf and remain ?hopeful? that there?s still the ?posibility? of good things to come.

Maybe some fans do have a movie fixation, but I?m more than happy with what we?re given. Red Dwarf, the series, may well have been a long time ago but the Dwarf experience is very much alive and on-going.

If thinking that makes me ?weird? so be it.

I agree with this 100%.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

Also… whilst I don’t really want to get into a huge discussion about the Movie (I’ve talked about it far too much before), I don’t think you can draw any inferences about the quality of the script from the fact that the Movie isn’t funded yet. As Leelu says, the good script doesn’t always win out – plenty of great scripts go unmade, and plenty of tosh gets produced.

The problem with the Dwarf Movie is that British independent films (that’s independent – not attached to a Hollywood studio) that cost ?12m are unprecedented. So it was always going to be a difficult thing to get that budget…

Steve Harris

Ha ha, just scrolling down there I read..

If thinking that makes me ?weird? so be it.

Followed by:

I agree with this 100%.

I really should start at the top :-)

Andrew

> I?m pretty sure if it was a good script it would have received funding by no

Yeah, because when the Oscar-nominated screenplay for Unforgiven was submitted to the studios, it was fast-tracked to production immediately.

Oh no, wait, it sat around for twenty years.

> I don?t think you can draw any inferences about the quality of the script from the fact that the Movie isn?t funded yet

Well, indeed.

The quality of the script matters to audiences, but from a funding point of view other considerations come first. Return on investment being the main one.

The fact that investors will have no creative control, that the film has no major studio behind it, and that the entire cast have a completely unproven track record on the big screen are all more pressing concerns for investment. That, and the fact that people often just plain don’t believe a film can be made for as small a budget as we’re after. (As the TV show demonstrates, you CAN get a great look out of a low budget – you just have to know how.)

> the kind of enthusiasm that they show for series VIII on the DVD documentary

Also, there’s been a lot of crap written about the Series VIII doc’s enthusiasm for the series compared to previous DVDs. The docs’ focus has always been on the producton itself, how they felt making the series, how certain things were done, and plenty of anecdotes from the trenches.

How this differs in VIII from any other series doc is beyond me. Saying you had problems making something – Series V, VI and VII – isn’t the same as criticisng the final result. If as much as five minutes has been given over to crit of the final programmes in the III to VII docs, I’d be surprised.

Tarka Dal

What actually is the current status regarding the movie then?

Andrew

“We continue to actively seek funding.”

Tarka Dal

Well that’s cleared that up.

Nakrophile

> Yeah, because when the Oscar-nominated screenplay for Unforgiven was submitted to the studios, it was fast-tracked to production immediately.

> Oh no, wait, it sat around for twenty years.

I believe this was somewhat intentional, as Clint wanted to be of a certain age to play the character of William Munny properly.

Anyway, to be honest I’m not too bothered anymore about the film. I’d much rather see the loose ends tied up and the series taken to its end through some Christmas specials or something. Besides, hasn’t Doug already said he’s going to have to do something soon before the cast get too old?

Andrew

> I believe this was somewhat intentional, as Clint wanted to be of a certain age to play the character of William Munny properly.

He didn’t hold the rights for two full decades, though. It got shopped around. I think Hackman was actually offered the lead at one point.

Regardless, it’s not the only example of a good script taking time to get made – even when casting and control aren’t factors.

> hasn?t Doug already said he?s going to have to do something soon before the cast get too old?

Yes.

performingmonkey

>> hasn?t Doug already said he?s going to have to do something soon before the cast get too old?

> Yes.

I can’t have been the only person who was somewhat heartened by Doug’s comment at the end of the VIII doco, where he said he doesn’t consider Dwarf to be over. But I actually think it’s quite foolish to now say ‘I don’t care about the movie, just give us a series/special’. To think for even a second that you wouldn’t want the movie is crazy, and it’s actually quite selfish. There’s already a lot of work gone into making the movie happen, particularly on Doug’s part and we must say thankee for all that he’s done in the name of Dwarf.

Nakrophile

A film would be excellent, but I’d rather have existing plotlines continue and/or tied up than a brand new one started. If Doug chooses the film over the series then fine, I support him, but I hope whatever happens we get get some sort of closure to all the cliffhangers, idealy on the tele. Basically, if it’s one or the other, I’ll go with the small screen. But hey, unless he makes a complete hash of things I support whatever he decides to do.

Anonymous

Peace people

We love you

Anonymous

There’s nothing selfish at all in somebody saying that they would rather have a TV series than a movie. I’ve read dozens of comments on other sites about this subject and many, many people have said that they would rather have something for the TV which would be almost guaranteed to get funding rather than hang around for a movie. There are also a lot of people who’ve said that Dwarf should be left as it is to not spoil the legacy. Those opinions are all valid and not selfish at all.

mick

*picks up a chair*

Jason aka Smeg4Brains

>There?s nothing selfish at all in somebody saying that they would rather have a TV series than a movie.

Hmmmm….I do see your point but I just can’t bring myself to side with somebody who calls them self ‘Fuckhole’.

Phil

You know, if they just did the film claymation style like in Back in the Red, it wouldn’t matter how old the actors get.

Anonymous

That’s true and Chris Barrie could then do all the voices.

Anonymous

That would still probably cost a fortune to make though.

If they ever did decide to give up on the movie then issuing the script as a book would be an interesting piece of merchadising. I guess that no matter how old the cast get, the possibility of more novels from Rob or Doug is always there.

Anonymous

If they ever did decide to give up on the movie then issuing the script as a book would be an interesting piece of merchandising. I guess that no matter how old the cast get, the possibility of more novels from Rob or Doug is always there.

Anonymous

If they ever did decide to give up on the movie then issuing the script as a book would be an interesting piece of merchandising. I guess that no matter how old the cast get, the possibility of more novels from Rob or Doug is always there.

Baz

I think is has been too long to think about a RD movie now, the franchise is so old a lot of the potential market wouldn’t have a clue what it was about, particularly the international market (America). Firefly got away with it (just), but RD? No. Despite the active (and loony) fanbase, there just isn’t enough bums-on-seats potential to attact the sort of financial backing you’d need for a movie.

A web-distributed fan-made movie, now that’s another story. There’s that bunch of Trek fans who’ve produced an entire new series, including appearances from original cast members. The standard to which this stuff is produced is remarkable, but the technology to do this is available now. Any takers?

The only way you could revive the RD franchise is to either remake it, recasting the original crew (a difficult proposition at best, who else could be Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten but Craig, Chris, Danny and Robert), or set another series in the same universe with the same set-up. Either allows the original cast to return, either as cameos or as the original Dwarfers in a guest appearance.

However, I just don’t think that this will happen. The BBC would rather make Hyperdrive. *spits*

Anonymous

Well Doug has said that he was offered ?6m which obviously is enough to make a movie. It just isn’t enough to make the movie that he wants to make.

A fan movie? Would any of the cast members really want to be involved in that? Doug obviously still controls what happens with Dwarf as well and I doubt he would even consider it.

Doug could probably revive the Dwarf franchise next week if he wanted to and there are a million ways in which he could do it. He could adapt the script to ensure that it could be made on a smaller budget, he could adapt it or rewrite it to be made for TV, he could give Paul Alexander a call and they could start writing a series 9, he could recast and make a movie etc. I would think that the BBC would love to have more Dwarf.

Anonymous

> However, I just don?t think that this will happen. The BBC would rather make Hyperdrive. *spits*

Well, to be fair, Hyperdrive was infinitely stronger than Red Dwarf VIII so I can’t blame them. Dwarf has had its day sadly, which doesn’t mean it’s never been a classic. The nearest comparison I can think of is the Simpsons, and that’s actually been producing episodes while Dwarf has been away. Once the Simpsons movie is out, maybe we’ll be able to imagine from the reaction it gets how a Dwarf movie might do. I know they’re two totally different franchises, but both have had their peak, and the Simpsons movie will either pull in its audience or not – a good guide for how Dwarf might do.

Anonymous

> it could be made on a smaller budget,

One of the things Doug says on the Back from the Dead documentary is that the budget of Stoke really let him down from the CGI point of view, and this is one of the reasons he’d like to make films. I think, to be perfectly honest, so much time has passed that much more will be achievable with TV-budget CGI than if they’d approached this even 5 years ago. I’m sure Tikka Remastered isn’t the best they could do, and that was pretty good. And who’s to say that the BBC won’t stump up a Doctor Who amount of special effects budget if the script is really great, and this is regarded the last Dwarf thing ever, rather than just scraping the bottom of the barrel which series VIII kind of was? Just a thought.

Andrew

> Hyperdrive was infinitely stronger than Red Dwarf VIII so I can?t blame them.

Not in the ratings, it wasn’t.

> who?s to say that the BBC won?t stump up a Doctor Who amount of special effects budget if the script is really great,

Anyone who knows how TV shows are commissioned and made?

Anonymous

I would love to see a Red Dwarf movie, in my own well-formed and highly-respected opinion, a Red Dwarf Movie would be a lot better than the Hitchhikers movie that recently came out.

will_burns

Suppose a lot of time elapses and it becomes obvious that a movie won’t be made. What should become of the screenplay? Someone suggested releasing it on its own. That would be an exciting piece of merchandising – but could something more be done? How about a cheap anamation – Chris Barrie could do the voices. Or a comic?

performingmonkey

> a Red Dwarf Movie would be a lot better than the Hitchhikers movie that recently came out.

So long and thanks for all the motherfucking fish.

> Suppose a lot of time elapses and it becomes obvious that a movie won?t be made.

What do you mean ‘suppose’?

will_burns

“What do you mean ?suppose??”

Assume for the sake of argument.

Anonymous

I’m not sure how appealing a cheap animation would be. If you were going to ask Chris Barrie to voice the script then issuing it as an audio CD would probably be better. Personally I think a book of the script would be better than a comic but they could always include the storyboards that are on the rd.co.uk website.

This is all hypothetical though obviously and if Doug did decide to give up on the movie I would expect him to adapt the script into something for TV.

Anonymous

Someone made a comment above saying that if anyone knows how TV shows are commissioned and made it’ll be obvious that the BBC won’t fund a Red Dwarf one-off special anything like the way they do a couple of episodes of Doctor Who. Does this not fly in the face of everything everyone’s currently saying about Red Dwarf? I got the impression that the DVD sales alone were enough to show the BBC that it was an important show. I’m sure I read a comment somewhere saying that they would happily fund a special. And like whoever said it above, CGI effects are cheaper for better now than they were 10 years ago. I don’t personally see why Doug can’t wrap it all up really well in a BBC-funded special, and by saying “this is the last one ever” get a load more money than previously to finish Dwarf off. If he can get the amount of money they were previously getting for eight episodes for just one hour-long special, then that would be comparitively loads.

will_burns

Some people have talked of a TV special to “wrap it up” or “tie up loose ends”. The impression I’ve got (not sure where from – maybe I’m wrong about this) is that the movie wasn’t supposed to do this. Given that it’s for a general audience, the plot would establish the whole set-up – so be a separate entity from the TV series. If that’s right, wouldn’t it be odd to convert the screenplay for TV? I think we’re more likely to see an audio book or something like that.

Anonymous

It depends if this “movie” is supposed to be a new start or a one-off though. If it’s a new start, I think they should get external funding and do it on the big screen, as I presume the BBC wouldn’t put forward funding for *loads* of movies; if it’s just a one-off, then the BBC should fund it, I don’t understand why they shouldn’t or can’t. I gather that the BBC loves Dwarf and can’t wait for more; could someone please spell things out for me if there’s a problem with this logic? CGI effects will be good enough now – what other benefits would a massive budget bring? And then they can wrap up the series on TV as well. I don’t see a problem with this. I especially can’t grasp why people think the movie would be done better as an animation voiced by Chris Barrie than as a made for TV movie.

Anonymous

Given that it?s for a general audience, the plot would establish the whole set-up – so be a separate entity from the TV series. If that?s right, wouldn?t it be odd to convert the screenplay for TV? I think we?re more likely to see an audio book or something like that.’

The important word in there is convert. Obviously Doug would be unlikely to want to set the scene again so he could write a new opening to the story and then take up the movie script from halfway through. There would probably still have to be alterations made due to the budget but I’m sure that a lot of ideas from the movie script could be salvaged for TV.

Anonymous

I especially can?t grasp why people think the movie would be done better as an animation voiced by Chris Barrie than as a made for TV movie.’

I don’t think anybody believes that an animated movie would be better. Some people seem to think that it might be more affordable though.

Andrew

> Someone made a comment

That would be me. The suggestion that the Beeb would stump up MORE money for a show because the script was of a certain quality fundamentally misunderstands how the system really works.

As, in fact, does asking them to throw MORE money at a show on the understanding that it’s ENDING. ‘Please invest more to terminate this franchise’?! In a world where they cut the budgets of Doctor Who and Life on Mars with each series, this just isn’t credible.

> Does this not fly in the face of everything everyone?s currently saying about Red Dwarf?

That doesn’t fly in the face of anything so far as I can see. But who’s ‘everyone’?

> I?m sure I read a comment somewhere saying that they would happily fund a special.

Never from anyone at the BBC or GNP. Fans post it all the time, though.

What DOES fly in the face of all we know is this: Red Dwarf is seen as a comedy. So it gets a comedy budget. It has never been offered a drama budget like Who’s, and just writing a more dramatic script won’t change that. The low-cost, high-quality of Dwarf was always its in-house appeal; making it high-cost doesn’t gain them a thing. Only fans, viewers and the makers benefit – and who cares about them? :-(

> if it?s just a one-off, then the BBC should fund it, I don?t understand why they shouldn?t or can?t

Because they’re a public service broadcaster. And BBC Films – a separate company from the BBC broadcaster – doesn’t have the low-but-not-tiny ?10m budget to just hand over to a production. Especially one over which they would not have creative control.

It’s important to understand that this budget IS tiny – less, I believe, than a series of the TV show would cost – so aiming lower would be crackers.

> I got the impression that the DVD sales alone were enough to show the BBC that it was an important show.

Again, that’s not how it works. DVD sales aren’t ratings, nor is BBC Worldwide/2 entertain the same company as BBC TV.

It’s arguable, in fact, that a commissioner would rather launch something new than go for a sure thing. Because credit for any new Dwarf wouldn’t go to the current executive – and in a career-driven media, that’s a potentially huge stumbling block. And if the show didn’t get good numbers, the BLAME would fall to the current exec. There’s no upside.

> wouldn?t it be odd to convert the screenplay for TV?

Possibly. Certainly if it were made the same way as the current show – some cinema-goers bemoaned Batman Begins and Casino Royale because they were confused by the continuity change, after all! Also, it’s written for a larger scale – so would have to be ‘neutered’ somewhat by the TV budget. (Which, before we get into that, can stretch less far than a cleverly-built movie budget due to tax breaks, etc.)

If there’s no movie, I hope the script goes out in some form. I’d like to see it animated – as part of a full reboot as an animated series, even! – but as a book, reading, special storyboard DVD, whatever, it’d still be worth seeing.

performingmonkey

Thankyou Andrew for bringing some sense back to proceedings.

> Again, that?s not how it works. DVD sales aren?t ratings, nor is BBC Worldwide/2 entertain the same company as BBC TV.

Precisely. For some reason people seem to think the BBC would jump at the chance of throwing loads of money at new Dwarf just going off of DVD success. The relatively large success of new Who didn’t stop them cutting the budget. All the BBC care about at the core level is money, which is understandable.

Anonymous

> It?s important to understand that this budget IS tiny – less, I believe, than a series of the TV show would cost – so aiming lower would be crackers.

Really? Why would a TV series cost ?10m?

Andrew

> Really? Why would a TV series cost ?10m?

Well, there’s a lot of pesky sets to build, actors to hire, scripts to pay for, crew, effects, clearances, studio space…

Anonymous

> Well, there?s a lot of pesky sets to build, actors to hire, scripts to pay for, crew, effects, clearances, studio space?

Yes, but many of those things have to be paid for by a lot of sitcoms.

How many actors do you ‘need’ to hire? 5 main actors and one or 2 guest stars an episode. You certainly don’t ‘need’ the dozens of actors and supporting artists used in Series VIII. Studio space and scripts have to be paid for on most shows I guess.

The cost of the sets, crew and effects all depend on how complicated you want the show to be I suppose.

I’m not saying that a TV series would be cheap but I can’t believe that it would ‘have’ to cost ?10m to make it.

mick

?10m by any standards today is a very very cheap TV series, especialy if like the later ones it’s 8 episodes

You also bare in mind Red Dwarf has the irritating feature of being Both a Sci-Fi and a comedy, in the majority of comedy series special effects budget is litte to none existant where as Red Dwarf would be very lacking with no visual effects.

Confining the crew back inside Red Dwarf would be the obvious choice to save money, and I would love to see them all revert back to the simple comedy and banter I used to enjoy on the earlier series, but I doubt anyone would go for that.

I mean Babylon 5, even at the end with massive budget cuts still cost $800,000 per episode and that was ten years ago!

It would be interesting to see how many older Dwarf fans there are in relevant proffesions nowadays, when they started recruiting for Star Wars Episode 1 hudreds of industry proffetionals who were fans offered their services for free!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.