Stock Laughter in Series 8?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Stock Laughter in Series 8?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  KyoSo 1 day, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Dax101

KyoSo

Yeah, that’s my video. I posted a thread about it here a while ago. That same laugh also shows up in VII and Remastered as well, albeit to a far lesser degree than in VIII. Somebody else posted an instance of it from a different show entirely, which proved beyond a doubt it was stock laughter.

It’s a fucking annoying laugh and literally the thing I most dislike about Series VIII. It’s EVERYWHERE, and once you notice it you’ll hear it all over the place. Even worse, it’s almost always pasted after something that wasn’t even a joke. Besides the Rimmer line I included in the video, the second laugh in all of Tikka to Ride is that stock laugh inexplicably playing as Lister picks up the camera, something that’s clearly not supposed to be humorous.

Sweetening your audience reaction is one thing, a lot of shows do it to varying degrees, but copy-pasting the same distinctive, irritating laugh all over the place? I noticed this thing when I was a kid it’s so obvious. As an aspiring video editor rather proud of her own sound mixing ability I’m especially frustrated to see such unprofessional work in my all-time second favorite show.

I started a Tikka fanedit a while back that I never finished in which I made it a point to utilize the audio track of the extended episode to mute that laugh the couple of times it appeared.

Ridley

Ha HA haha.

KyoSo

That sound affects me just the way the 9th Symphony does Alex in the second half of A Clockwork Orange.

Pete Part Three

Stock/canned tomato/tomahto

Dave Wallace

Mmmmmm, canned tomato.

performingmonkey

What have you done to my life?? I’m now convinced I hear it during any show with laughter….

I don’t understand why they didn’t just copy and paste a laugh from the actual recording sessions instead of stock laughter…

Thankfully, XI didn’t seem to have much ‘sweetened’ laughter pasted on. I may be wrong and there’s loads…but it doesn’t seem ‘in your face’.

flanl

Most of XI’s laughter was about on par with how much I laughed, and I believe that most of the rest were more British jokes.

KyoSo

[quoteblock]I don’t understand why they didn’t just copy and paste a laugh from the actual recording sessions instead of stock laughter….[/quoteblock]
    Because that takes slightly more than the absolute minimal possible amount of effort.

flanl

It might help you in the future to know that it’s “blockquote”. With <>. But yes.

KyoSo

I do know that. I have no idea why I fucked it up so badly there.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.