The Blu-ray Awakens

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The Blu-ray Awakens

This topic contains 28 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  thomasaevans 2 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

thomasaevans

Amazon and Zavvi have listings for THOSE Series 1-5 blu-rays down as being released in February 26th 2018.

Is this actually now happening for the 30th?

GlenTokyo

Intriguing…

Doug said the quality wasn’t there a few months ago so it got canned, bluffing?

Here’s the info page from blu-ray dot com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Dwarf-Series-1-Blu-ray/157922/#Overview

I’d happily buy them on blu-ray, they have value to me if they have the model footage scanned in full HD, a re-edit would be nice to include them but that’s an ask, and if they have everything on one disc.

Any updated “tour of the ship” menus and any new material is a bonus (Rob and Doug commentaries for some episodes? Rob, Ed and Doug?)

Cautiously excited, just because it’s the 30th.

SoundableObject

They’ve been down as that date for a while now so don’t put too much stock in it being that date.

That being said the Blu-Ray releases are back on. Doug tweeted in a reply on the 12th of November: “They’re increased the budget and are trying to convince me the uprezing will look much better this time. They’re also throwing in a colour grade something they wouldn’t agree to first time around.”

Ben Saunders

>a colour grade
    awooga. awooga.

bloodteller

is that a bad thing?

Ben Saunders

It depends, really – it could be fantastic or it could be dreadful. A generic colour grade pasted all over the show could give you Star Wars Special Edition/Red Dwarf Remastered tier issues, but one with any decent amount of effort put into it could end up working well.

But I do think a grade should be avoided and the programs should be presented as made, just upscaled, because I’m a purist like that. Perhaps there will be room for graded and non-graded versions. I’m aware that even just upscaling might be considered artifice, but that’s as far as I think they should go. I don’t want a Remastered 2.

GlenTokyo

The grade was one of the better things about remastered to me. If they just did that and didn’t change the aspect to 14:9 and filmise it, visually it would have been worth it I think.

It was never intended to look shit, anything to remedy that is in fact making it more definitive in my opinion, as it will be closer to resembling the vision of the people that made it and how it actually looked live.

Good to know it’s back on though. I expect a couple will release in February and then every few months from there or something.

Ben Saunders

>It was never intended to look shit, anything to remedy that is in fact making it more definitive in my opinion, as it will be closer to resembling the vision of the people that made it and how it actually looked live.
    Interesting opinion, as I believe the actual, final product, is the “definitive”, and that intent doesn’t really factor in as much. Tommy Wiseau -intended- to make a masterpiece. He didn’t.

But I also view things as historical documents as well as shows or whatever. Also when going down the road of bringing things closer to original visions, you run the risk of Lucasing your creation.

GlenTokyo

By vision I only mean how it looked when performed, overcoming the limitations of the format is not even a remaster really, it’s the same thing but clearer. Like a lossless audio format, or a rescan for Blu-ray of an old film. They’re not adding or removing anything content wise, they’re just allowing you to see it more clearly.

It would have been graded if such things existed at the time, as one inch tape was wank.

The videos were replaced by something with better picture quality and were gratefully accepted

GlenTokyo

It’ll still have all the same issues, like the comet tails or whatever they’re called, it’ll just be less grey, and if you like it grey, DVD and VHS have you covered.

Katydid

The color grade will either make it look basically fine, or absolutely horrific. Unfortunately the latter is the standard nowadays.

Warbodog

Hopefully Doug will give it a blue rinse to match the blue look of XI & XII that wasn’t possible with the technology in 1988. Like how Blade Runner is blue now, for some reason.

Katydid

I think they should hire Chris Veale to recreate Series I in CGI.

flanl3

I think they should hire Series I to recreate Chris Veale in CGI.

thomasaevans

Adding to the suggestion that this really may be happening…

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Tom-Baker-1st-Season-Blu/23925

si

Adding to the suggestion that this really may be happening…
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Tom-Baker-1st-Season-Blu/23925

*follows link*

We looked at the BBC Shop online store to try to confirm, and have continued to look back there many times since, and have never yet seen a listing for such a title…

Well, they wouldn’t, would they?

International Debris

That page’s use of quotation marks made me feel ill.

Katydid

I would actually consider buying Red Dwarf on Blu-Ray, but only because I’ve managed to lose disc 1 for Series I and V.

If they crop it into 16:9, I’m going to set myself on fire outside GNP.

Ben Paddon

If they crop it into 16:9, I’m going to set myself on fire outside GNP.

I can’t imagine they will – “Shada” and “Spearhead From Space” didn’t get cropped.

GlenTokyo

I can’t imagine they will – “Shada” and “Spearhead From Space” didn’t get cropped.

Doug saying it was for the Japanese audience again on Twitter has made me think it’s going to get cropped to 14:9 like Remastered.

bloodteller

are the japanese really into 14:9 or something?

Mr-Stabby

The Tom Baker Doctor Who Bluray would actually have *some* benefit, as with the ‘Shada’ release, they have clearly rescanned the film elements of the show, and although the 16mm stock at the time wasn’t great, it still is a noticeable quality difference. So if they did that, then sure! Though I seem to remember, Tom’s first episode was a rare all-VT episode.

I’m going to buy Series 1 Red Dwarf Bluray anyway, because i’m a nerd and i like to compare things. But hell if they rescanned all the model shots, i’d buy them all. But i doubt they’ll do that, if they even still exist at all.

GlenTokyo

are the japanese really into 14:9 or something?

I think maybe they like full screen content, which is why 14:9 was chosen for remastered, halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.

Dunno though, I’m not an expert in Japanese TV viewing habits, maybe they don’t care now the novelty of widescreen has worn off.

Dax101

It doesn’t seem like the BBC (including worldwide) even put that much money into the DVDs anymore

Jawscvmcdia

Does Chris Veale even do CGI anymore?

GlenTokyo

Does Chris Veale even do CGI anymore?

I wondered the same recently, had a look on his IMDB and searched for him on Google. The last thing I could see Dwarf wise was a graphic design credit, he doesn’t seem to have a portfolio site or anything which is odd for someone in his line of work, and he obviously had talent considering the limitations and what he produced so it’d be strange if he didn’t do it anymore.

Lily

He does have a website but … well. http://cvcg.co.uk/

GlenTokyo

He does have a website but … well. http://cvcg.co.uk/

Oof. That robot policeman.

I assume that he just no longer works for himself, I’ll have to keep an eye on the crew credits for some films and TV with British FX houses.

thomasaevans

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.