Where is Rob Grant?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Where is Rob Grant?

This topic contains 50 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Paddon 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 51 posts - 1 through 51 (of 51 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

JohnnyW

I’m a bit concerned that Rob’s name is nowhere near the new shows… Did he decide to just not get involved, or have they fallen out again? *sniff* :(

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Did you fall into a coma in 1993?

JohnnyW

Huh? They were happily working together on the Bodysnatcher collection, even re-working an old script together.

Seb Patrick

That doesn’t mean he’s suddenly back working on Dwarf permanently, though. Nobody has ever said, or even suggested, that.

JohnnyW

So to go all the way back to my original post:

Did he decide to just not get involved, or have they fallen out again?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I don’t know, I’ll ask them.

Pete Part Three

Rob Grant is no longer interested in the type of audience that Red Dwarf used to attract.

Zombie Jim Undead

I think his involvement in Bodysnatcher meant that we were all hoping that he would be involved.

Must say that I’m a bit disappointed that he won’t be.

Phil

He was about to do it until his daughter told him about all the nasty things people say on the internet.

JohnnyW

Damn. I seriously hope they haven’t fallen out again. I know a lot of die-hards here think that Doug Dwarf was good, but I’m with the crowd that thinks it was worse than My Hero. More of that hardly excites me.

Andrew

I think it’s a hell of stretch to go from ‘Rob and Doug maintain status quo regarding Red Dwarf production’ to ‘they must have had another argument’.

SoundableObject

Rob and Doug didn’t have an argument did they? Rob Grant just didn’t want to be remebered as one of them writers of Red Dwarf.

JohnnyW

Considering their last one meant that they couldn’t talk without yelling at each other for TEN YEARS, I hardly think it’s a stretch at all to think that it might not have completely gone away.

I do hope you’re right though… they need to write something together again.

ChrisM

>Damn. I seriously hope they haven?t fallen out again.

I’m sure they haven’t. (If they even did in the first place. It might just be that Rob Grant wanted to move on to other stuff.) I don’t think Rob ever intended to come back permanently. His contribution to The Bodysnatcher Collection was a once off, essentially completing something that he had started anyway. He was happy to take on the project and reminisce in the documentary etc, but that’s a big difference from resurrecting the partnership.

>I know a lot of die-hards here think that Doug Dwarf was good….

Actually it seems to me to be a lot of the hard fans who dislike later Dwarf. I think a lot of more casual viewers didn’t mind some of the later material.

performingmonkey

New Dwarf = Doug. Bodysnatcher was essentially old Dwarf brought out of the closet (ooh er) and dusted off. I think if Rob and Doug were ever to work together again (and we don’t have a clue how likely or unlikely that would be, just like we don’t know about their fall-out, it’s a private matter!) it would be on something different, NOT Dwarf. I would love that, actually.

Carlito

I have it on good authority that they were a gay couple and they broke up. I read it in a book.

Carlito

Oh, wait now…. was it a book? Or was it… nothing?

Arlene Rimmer BSc SSc

Naw, naw, I saw it on the internet somewhere. So it must be true. Otherwise nobody would ever have written it.

Andrew

> they couldn?t talk without yelling at each other for TEN YEARS

And you’re basing this fact on…?

I mean, Doug was at DJ in 1998 talking about how he’d had lunch with Rob and his wife felt you couldn’t describe it as ‘lunch’ when it went on so late into the evening…

Zombie Jim Undead

“his wife felt you couldn?t describe it as ?lunch? when it went on so late into the evening?”

That would’ve been on account of all the bumming.

Tarka Dal

> I think it?s a hell of stretch to go from ?Rob and Doug maintain status quo regarding Red Dwarf production? to ?they must have had another argument?.

OMG! You mean Doug and Rob had ANOTHER fight?

JohnnyW

>> And you?re basing this fact on??

A conversation I had with Rob Grant.

Andrew

Fair enough. What would I know.

No chance of comic exaggeration?

Zombie Jim Undead

I always assumed that there had been some kind of bust-up….with the tales of heated behind the scenes conversations behind closed doors…and the way that Doug Naylor spoke about their split.

No evidence, mind. Just wild assumption.

Seb Patrick

> And you?re basing this fact on??

A conversation I had with Rob Grant.

You do realise you’re not going to win a Red Dwarf namedropping contest with Ellard?

Dave

>a Red Dwarf namedropping contest

On the subject of namedropping, a long dead member of my family that I’d never previously heard of has recently been awarded a blue plaque for being both a world champion cyclist and you know dead. I was on the phone to my Dad who was buzzing with pride. I put the phone down and turned to a girl I was working with and told her about it and she practically interrupt me to say: “I know Danny John-Jules!”

She didn’t know I was a fan, and she didn’t have much much to say about him, but it seems in celebrity top trumps: Danny John-Jules > Arthur Linton

Disappointingly, whenever I have told this story the assumption of the audience is that the crux of the story is usually ‘Danny John-Jules is a rubbish celebrity’ rather than ‘namedropping is for twats’

locusceruleus

Let’s face it, sometimes people just can’t work together long-term anymore.

Perhaps the comfort-zone for Bodysnatcher was established by the fact that it was something that would only be consumed by hardcore fans, whereas a TV comeback after a 10 year gap is a whole ‘nother level of pressure.

Phil

I broke up with a girl 10 years ago and for a long time we were not on speaking terms.

By this point we can get together and talk about old times and laugh and be perfectly pleasant.

But we’re different people now, and the old relationship will never be rekindled. And as chummy as we are now, I don’t think either of us would WANT it to be.

I’m Doug. And the girl I used to slap my nuts against is Rob.

locusceruleus

>I?m Doug. And the girl I used to slap my nuts against is Rob.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sorry, I just thought I’d be creepy for a moment.

performingmonkey

> and the old relationship will never be rekindled. And as chummy as we are now, I don?t think either of us would WANT it to be.

So no chance of a pity-frak then?

Ridley

Can he still be involved with the DVD commentary just for smegs and giggles?

Carlito

Maybe the two have a perfectly fine, decades old friendship that they successfully seperate from their professional lives, and Rob just felt they should quit Dwarf while they were ahead, and Doug wanted to continue milking the cash cow? Or maybe Rob just wanted solo glory and credit, maybe he felt he was the stronger link and wanted to prove as much?

Doesn’t mean they’re any less friends, just friends that no longer write together.

Pete Part Three

>I?m Doug. And the girl I used to slap my nuts against is Rob.

I NOMINATE THIS POST FOR HALL OF FAME STATUS

Zombie Jim Undead

> So no chance of a pity-frak then?

You one-legged revolutionist.

Ben Paddon

Sometimes, when no one is looking, Ridley likes to blurt out…
    Can he still be involved with the DVD commentary just for smegs and giggles?

I can imagine it now – an hour of Rob saying, “What the fuck? What have you done?”

SoundableObject

Rob has said that if he watched Series VII & VIII it would be like watching his ex-wife’s honeymoon.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Rob has said that if he watched Series VII & VIII it would be like watching his ex-wife?s honeymoon.

wasn’t that your interview, Capps?

Jonathan Capps

G&T Admin

ChrisM

I don’t think I’ve read that before. Thanks for posting the link.

Collony 2? I wonder if he’s still in mind to do that…

Phil

Anyone know where I can get Cruel Aliens on DVD?

James

You were slapping your nuts against a ten year old girl? And her name was Rob?

Phil

Anyone know where I can get Cruel Aliens on DVD?

James

James

Also, this is from co.uk

Are you able to tell us anything about your rumoured animated series Cruel Aliens?

Cruel Aliens is no longer with Aardman. They just couldn’t get anyone to bite on it. Watch this space, though…

Has it actually been made?

locusceruleus

>Rob has said that if he watched Series VII & VIII it would be like watching his ex-wife?s honeymoon.

Watching his ex-wife take a severe beating, followed by a funeral maybe.

Pete Part Three

>Watching his ex-wife take a severe beating, followed by a funeral maybe.

And then dug up 10 years later to take another beating?

Zombie Jim Undead

> And then dug up 10 years later to take another beating?

Pfffffhahahaha.

At least she might me given a nice CGI blouse.

locusceruleus

>And then dug up 10 years later to take another beating?

Time will tell. Maybe she’ll be dug up and made sweet sweet love to.

This metaphor isn’t working anymore, is it?

Phil

It is for me!

Carlito

It reminds me of that time when I used to be a necrophiliac.

Had to stop in the end, got grassed up. I was getting away with it as well, but then some rotten cunt split on me.

Ben Paddon

I CANNOT UNREAD THAT, YOU BASTARD.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 51 posts - 1 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.