Which Holly?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Which Holly?

This topic contains 100 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Stabbim the Skutter 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 101 posts - 1 through 101 (of 101 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Jawscvmcdia

If Holly were to come back in the next series, which Holly would you choose? It can be any version of Holly, Queeg even.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Hattie, by about a million miles.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Hattie, I don’t think Norman will be coming back.

si

Hattie, cheers.

SoundableObject

Hattie.

Another Phil

Hattie, and if she wasn’t available I’d recast.

p2p_productions

Yeah, Hattie’s the most logical choice now. I’d love to see her back, too. If Norm were to return, I wouldn’t be against it. Especially if they shared the role.

Return of Queeg? Maybe. What about Jane Leeves, though..?

Pongo

Tony Robinson?

Pongo

Bill Bailey. Maybe Dylan Moran?
    Failing that, don’t really think it makes a huge difference whether it’s Norman or Hattie – outstanding personal issues with other castmembers excepted.

si

I loved Norm’s Holly in Series I & II. Nice to see him back in VII. Not the same old Holly though in VIII. Pointless/wrong in Remastered.

Now, however, I’d hate to think of Norm demeaning himself to work on Red Dwarf.

Alex

Hattie. Though i have to say, the more I think about the jokey idea of Bill Bailey the more I find myself thinking ‘actually, that might just work’.

Steve Harris

Hattie……..Without question.

Or Re-cast if not.

Pongo

>I loved Norm?s Holly in Series I & II. Nice to see him back in VII. Not the same >old Holly though in VIII. Pointless/wrong in Remastered.

To be fair, most of the cast were not their same old selves in VIII..

p2p_productions

SerieX: Episode 1: Holly has dried out, but when the crew attempt to reboot, an unexpected glitch forces his physical appearance to seemingly change at random.

That way, we could get a hundred new Holly’s in one ep.

…Yeah, Bill Bailey would be great! “Oh, uh, space weevils, blimey, ah…” etc.

Jawscvmcdia

So the majority vote is Hattie, if it were me I’d choose Norman to come back because he is a great worker, very professional, does what he’s told and never has a cross word to say about anyone.

si

…And he’s a cracking footballer.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Bill Bailey as Holly.

Yeah that would be MY excuse to getting him to a future DJ.

si

Well, yeah, that works for me, too.

Although, should Holly ever get back to his full IQ, Stephen Fry is a no-brainer.

p2p_productions

>Bill Bailey as Holly. Yeah that would be MY excuse to getting him to a future DJ.

NitroChrisUK

god i hope bill bailey will be holly

clem

Hattie. Or Gordon Salkilld if she wasn’t available/interested, and he wasn’t dead.

Zombie Jim Undead

Hattie, definitely.

Or Bill Bailey. Or jeremy Hardy.

hummingbird

Hattie first of course.

I’d love Bill Bailey, but I think he’s doing far too well on his own at the moment to want to play a supporting role, even if it is RD.
    Saying that, if he’s s fan of the show he might do it.

SkyAndSun

Could ask him on twitter…

Seb Patrick

So the majority vote is Hattie, if it were me I?d choose Norman to come back because he is a great worker, very professional, does what he?s told and never has a cross word to say about anyone.

Hahaha. Okay, I see what you’re doing.

NitroChrisUK

>if it were me I?d choose Norman to come back because he is a great worker, very professional, does what he?s told and never has a cross word to say about anyone.

is that in the same mirror universe where rap music is really good ?

SoundableObject

>>if it were me I?d choose Norman to come back because he is a great worker, very professional, does what he?s told and never has a cross word to say about anyone.

>is that in the same mirror universe where rap music is really good ?

Jennifer Sisko is alive too. (I am puching through season 4 of DS9 at an incredible rate, hence the refrence)

Kris Carter

Hattie please. And if not her, Bill Bailey.

mark100000

Noel Edmonds.

Jo TORDFC

Hattie.

Mnoooah

Hattie please. And if not her, Bill Bailey.

This.

mark100000

How about a guest appearance from Mr T. as queeg?

Seb Patrick

I keep seeing Bill Bailey’s name crop up in Holly discussions – and yet I’ve never seen anyone give a reason for why they think he’d be good. He’s great, no doubt about it, but is he really Holly? Can anyone explain why he’s the name that jumps to everyone’s mind?

Richey

> I keep seeing Bill Bailey?s name crop up in Holly discussions – and yet I?ve never seen anyone give a reason for why they think he?d be good. He?s great, no doubt about it, but is he really Holly? Can anyone explain why he?s the name that jumps to everyone?s mind?

Norman portrayed Holly as just slow (and then senile).
    Hattie portrayed Holly as ditzy (and then senile).
    Bill would be good at portraying Holly as bumbling (and senile).

My vote goes for Hattie, but I can certainly see how Bill would be good as a re-cast.

Mnoooah

Bill is a virtuoso of DAFT. I can’t find the clip, but in the middle of one of his gigs, he appears to forget where he is and makes hand puppets that fight with each other:

‘woof.’ ‘mew’ ‘woof’ ‘mew’ ‘ARRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!’ ‘whimper’.

And the crowd goes wild. Who the hell else could pull that off?! If you need someone to portray 3 million years worth of mental disorganization, Bill is your guy.

Carlito

If Norman could recapture his series 1/2 form, I wouldn’t want a recast, even if it was the lovely Hattie. Norman IS Holly, when he is at his best. Series VIII, and Holly didn’t have half the charm of the early years. The rat arsed line, “become a dog”… the only memorable line from the Norm comeback was the Brylcreem gag (which I loved)… you could blame it on the writing, but some of the material was great and delivered badly by Lovett… I didn’t miss him really in BtE but I would still love to see him contribute to future Dwarf, as long as he is on best form.

ChrisM

I quite liked the line “It’s times like this I’m glad I’m just a head.” too.

That was the scene on the Canary shuttle when Kryten talks about showering with the girls and the lads all cross their legs.

TheLeen

Hattie or recast. I’d love to see Bill Bailey, but Dylan Moran sounds good as well.

Actually, how about if Holly was slightly broken and would display various faces and personalities? Including earlier episodes’ ones? Including Hilly, Queeg, and a number of new faces? With Hattie’s Holly giving it all a frame? That’d be a dream come true. For me. But I’m greedy.

Steve Harris

I guess the idea of the crew perhaps changing the face like wallpaper could run…

maybe, Hattie could be the default setting..

Dave

Hattie or nothing.

Turk Thrust

Purely in terms of performance I would say Norman as I think he is definitely the funnier of the 2. As that won`t happen though, I would let the character die.

si

>I quite liked the line ?It?s times like this I?m glad I?m just a head.? too

I hated that, personally.

Nick R

Bill Bailey’s Holly would probably have more luck decimalising music than Norman’s did.

Dessie

Norman seemed nervous in series 8. Hattie deserves the role, she seems like a lovely person and did a really good job with the limited material she had.

Jawscvmcdia

Remember you are under polygraphic surveillance.

Nakrophile

Jeremy Clarkson.

Phil

Gary Glitter

Nakrophile

Don’t be stupid.

Mister E

Hattie, who I actually like better than Norm as Holly.I agree with the majority in that Bill Bailey is a great alternative.

Phil

Elmo

Ben Paddon

ChrisM

That… was… strange. Cute, but strange. I’d expect that sort of sound from a cat than a dog. Remember that shaggy looking dog who could say “Sausages?” Heh.

Holly at his most senile…

peas_and_corn

Does Norm have a brother?

hummingbird

It would be interesting, too, to have a complete departure from the slow/senile/deadpan persona and cast for a different kind of Holly.

Phil

>Does Norm have a brother?

Brian Doyle Lovett

p2p_productions

>Brian Doyle Lovett

“Your honour, your Honour. Pick up that blood.”

Ben Paddon

Chris O’Dowd would make a good Holly, I reckon.

Plastic Percy

Patrick Stewart? He can out-bald Norman Lovett any day.

Though I’d like Hattie back. She didn’t do too badly in ‘Ace Rimmer: A Life in Lame’

Ben Paddon

She was my favourite of the two Hollies in Beat The Geek.

Anonymous

If Norm could recover his early form then him (despite the fact he doesn’t deserve it). He’s still my favourite Holly.

If not then Hattie – she never really got the lines her loyalty to the show deserved but I still enjoy her rendering of Holly.

It not those two then don’t bring back the character. Bill Bailey is a very funny guy but I wouldn’t want him on RD.

Why?

Because if I see Hattie on RD I think, “Oh look, it’s Holly.”

If I see Norm on RD I think, “Oh look, it’s Holly.”

If I were to see Bill Bailey on RD I’d think, “Oh look, it’s Bill Bailey’s head.”

But I’m clearly in the minority.

Turk Thrust

> Though I?d like Hattie back. She didn?t do too badly in ?Ace Rimmer: A Life in Lame?

Sometimes on this site people sound so sincere…when they must surely be being sarcastic.

Jawscvmcdia

No I agree with you

thomasaevans

Hattie. Or Doug Naylor.

NoFro

Not Bill Bailey. Funny guy but find I would just think of him as Bill Bailey, not Holly.

I’m going for Hattie.

Nakrophile

Yeah, Hattie.

Phil

Eminem

Zombie Jim Undead

si

Zombie Jim Undead

I just did a bit of sick in my mouth.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Having Boris Johnson in Red Dwarf would be a sacrifice I’d be willing to make if it meant he wasn’t Mayor of London any more.

Zombie Jim Undead

Looks like Dave are asking the same question!

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/library/red-dwarf/where-smeg-was-holly/

Jawscvmcdia

Hattie please

Nakrophile

The comments in that article, while speculation one would assume, do seem to hint towards another series. And Robert’s Radio 5 comments hint further that, we could be on a course set to successville.

Kris Carter

The further thought occurs, we haven’t budged a smegging inch.

Phil

Michael Stipe

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Patrick Moore

TheLeen

Michael Moore

Jawscvmcdia

Gordon Brown

hummingbird

June Brown

ChrisM

A puerile nob gag just popped into my head.

I’ll keep it to myself.

I’m not sure French filmstar lookalikes would work for Holly anyway.

mark100000

Jimmy Carr

Tonguetied

Norman or failing that, Ross Kemp.

Phil

Tonguetied

Tony Hawkes.

Pete Part Three

Your mum.

Zombie Jim Undead

> Zombie Jim Undead?s avatar

It’s what Norm actually looks like these days. The hatred and bile are causing him to flake.

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Like the dude on Knightmare.

si

Or Mumm-Ra.

Jawscvmcdia

Doesn’t Norm have the IQ of 6,000 PE teachers?

peas_and_corn

Gordon Bennett

si

Gordon Brown.

Zombie Jim Undead

Charlie Brown.

Stabbim the Skutter

If Hattie were to return, they should shoot the front and the back of her head at the same time, then layer the front of her head onto the back – that way you’d see her hair hanging down behind her head, and she’d actually look like a floating head – with two strands on either side it looks a little bit dodgy.

si

Norm’s only got two strands on top of his head, that doesn’t look much better.

Jawscvmcdia

No it’s a bloody paintbrush

Stabbim the Skutter

Call me insane, but I’ve been watching a lot of Scrubs recently and I think Sarah Chalke would make a great Holly. If Red Dwarf ever got remade for USA again (Heaven forbid) she’d make a great stand-in for Hattie any day.

Jo TORDFC

John Hoare

peas_and_corn

>Call me insane

You’re insane.

I don’t think she would work as a Holly, TBH.

Carlito

Seconded. Not to say she isn’t a talented comedy performer (because she is… hmmm, or should I say “was” considering her character has become a lot more annoying than funny over the last 2/3 years?) but she’s not really right for Holly.

Ben Paddon

But her hair is the right length for a computer…

Stabbim the Skutter

> John Hoare

“Well, thanks to the virus, half of the ship has decayed. But I LIKE the shit bits!”

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 101 posts - 1 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.