Cult Times Special #45. And guess what ad appears on page 23? (Clue: it’s for Red Dwarf.)
Click on the image for a larger version, and apologies for my slightly crap scanner. A few points, then:
- “The Final Red Dwarf DVD Collection” brings a tear to my eye – but then, I suppose the argument would be that it means “final… for now, anyway”. Although actually, the Just The Smegs release a week later is the “final” one. Either way, it reads slightly weirdly for us lot, considering all the talk of the future of Dwarf at the moment… but for the people the ad is aimed at, it makes sense. And to be honest, if we get more Dwarf, who’s going to be quibbling over ad text?
- “Voted most popular sci-fi show of all time by the Radio Times” is rather misleading, though – the poll excluded Doctor Who. True, putting that as a disclaimer wouldn’t read very well, and I know they’re just trying to push the release… but that doesn’t stop it being wrong.
- The ad does use the nice version of the cover picture though, and it does look at its best. You’ll never convince me that the cover isn’t over-complicated and a bit messy, but it doesn’t look that bad in the advert.
- BTW, does the underline on the “Productions” in the Grant Naylor logo (used both here and elsewhere) annoy anyone else? No? Just me, then…
- The ad does a good job of setting out what the release is, though – the Remastered series gets a prominent mention, which is fair enough, but Bodysnatcher, the Rob and Doug commentaries (excellent move to single those out), and the doccos get a look-in. It would perhaps have been nice to have more information on Bodysnatcher itself, or more details about the doccos… but I suppose the idea is that this release is a complicated thing to get across, and so the less words you use, the clearer it is. I wouldn’t have gone as far as they have down that road myself, but I can see why they’ve done it. And there’s always the website for the in-depth stuff.
Ah yes, the website – www.reddwarfbodysnatcher.com. Unfortunately, all that’s there at the moment (apart from the compo – see below) is a list of contents taken from TOS, and ordering information – but EXCITINGLY, we are promised a video and transcript of a Rob and Doug interview soon! Fantastic. It’s just a shame that this major piece of content wasn’t present before the site was advertised, especially seeing as it’s mentioned on the front page – but perhaps we can blame uncertainty over the delay for that; magazine schedules have to be planned well in advance. (It’s interesting to note, however, that no release date is mentioned on the ad itself – so either they were just playing it safe in case of a delay, or they were worried that there might be a delay a while ago.) Still – “comming”? Ouch.
Also: sorry, but I hate the Flash. It’s fine for some sites, but for this kind of thing, it’s just not needed, or appropriate – you could have done a more graphically pleasing and usable site without the Flash.
“Robert Llelwellyn hosts BBC Worldwide’s Red Dwarf competition. A chance to win The Bodysnatcher Collection and Just the Smegs on DVD – plus a special crew prop from Red Dwarf: Remastered.
Upload a video review of your favourite Red Dwarf episode, series, DVD or DVD extra to enter. More details on how to enter coming soon.
Competition closes November 12th.”
What a fantastic idea for a compo. Go on – get planning…
For all my whinging (and have you all missed my in-depth slaggings off of things that don’t really deserve it? No? Fuck you, then) – it’s clear that a proper marketing push is being done on this release. And it really, really deserves it – it deserves to be a huge success, and sell shitloads. Because what they’ve managed to come up with – and we saw a bit of it at DJ – is an absolutely stunning release. And it’s a lesson to all DVD producers with a bit of budget behind them – this is the standard you should be aiming at.