GNP are awesome. Just admit it.
When TOS updated with their article on library footage on Friday, I’ve been thinking why they have not done anything on the library music before. It would make my job easier, because – like the music obsessed uber-geek I am – I’ve already been looking, with limited success. (I found about nine tracks overall.) So imagine my delight on Friday seeing that TOS have done exactly that but off the frigging chart! I know for a fact that this information wasn’t easy to come by, coz I know that library music gets thrown around between record labels like loose change, and that a fair amount of research has been done for this, and G&T thanks you for this. Well I do, certainly!
Some things I’ve noticed:
- Isn’t “Pride Of Place” just gorgeous? It wouldn’t be out of place on a film soundtrack in my opinion, and for music that’s meant to be filler, it’s absolutely stunning.
- I didn’t know that Danny John-Jules was involved with Motor City Diva, but I’ve always wondered as to the strange music credit in Balance of Power.
- The sheer amount of library music used to replace Goodall’s original music is quite sad to see. However someone who had only seen the Remastered would not really spot anything out of the ordinary, which is kinda the point…
- I FINALLY HAVE THE ‘NEW CREW’ MUSIC FROM BACK TO REALITY!!! No, seriously. I got quite annoyed when this wasn’t on the Music cues, because I was convinced that Howard Goodall had recorded it, and looking around the comments on various websites, it seems I wasn’t alone, either. This is what started me off trawling the archives in the first place. I’ve got to say though, this has to be the prize piece of music in the whole archive for me, for obvious reasons.
Some music hasn’t been included in the list that I have known about though:
- “Turmoil” by Simon Chamberlain (KPM 264, Track 29 ‘Full Version’) used in Epideme, racing for the flamed planet.
- “Strike Force” by Rupert Gregson-Williams (KPM 463, Track 1) used in the Series VIII Star Wars trailer, I think…
- “Motor Racer” by Chris Goulstone (CAR 209 Track 20) – used in Series VIII, the wrecking Ackerman’s quarters scene.
Oh, and a little interesting piece of stock music I found during my search for the aforementioned guitar piece: “New World Anthem” by S Holland (Focus Music FCD129, Track 15) may sound familiar. That would be because it’s the Time Team theme…
Now, how’s about publicly releasing them Dwarf Sound FX? Pretty please with sugar on?