Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Almost XIII news

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 221 total)
  • Author

Pretty sure it’s been said here before that Doug’s already turned down Big Finish.

I like the idea of it in some ways, but without an audience, and with the possibility of getting other writers in, I’m not sure how good it would be anyway…

cwickham
    Participant

The one thing BF could definitely do without having to worry about other writers or no audience is dramatised adaptations of the novels.

(deleted)

Nothing to say BF wouldn’t have got an audience in if Doug or the cast had asked for it. I think he was absolutely mad to say no when he did. Loads of different things they could have done. Expanded universe spinoffs (Kochanski, Cat People, Ace Rimmer, pre-accident ship stories with side characters), novel adaptations, Chris Barrie readings of new short stories, full blown radio episodes… could even do ‘Red Dwarf Unplugged’ at last if they wanted. It would have made money, grown the audience and grown the brand.

Dave
    Participant

I think I’m in the ‘less is more’ camp when it comes to that kind of spinoff stuff.

Loads of different things they could have done. Expanded universe spinoffs (Kochanski, Cat People, Ace Rimmer, pre-accident ship stories with side characters)

This sounds worse to me than a year with nothing at all.

I think we have to give Doug some credit for having an eye on quality-control (cue Timewave jokes) and not wanting to just license out RD for the sake of having stuff out there. It would be very easy for him to do that, but I think it would risk making the show itself feel like less of a special event when it came along.

Yes, Big Finish’s tendency to do go one spin-off too far is something I wouldn’t be keen on Red Dwarf following.

Paul Muller
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t think Big Finish is necessarily the route to go – nobody needs a ten part saga centred around the Dibbley Family.

Personally, I think Red Dwarf has always lent itself to graphic novel/comic incarnations – something along the lines of ‘Prelude to Nanarchy’ could work really well, especially with Doug’s writing and involvement.

Dax101
    Participant

Perhaps the problem with Big Finish is that it would reduce the chances of a new series. after all if fans can get their fix through audio then why would they pay out a budget to actually make the show?

But if fans are thirsty for more and there is only one way to get it, then there will be much more hype.

As for Doug and quality control… i sometimes think that filter may need a refresh :P

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Perhaps the problem with Big Finish is that it would reduce the chances of a new series.

Yes, that’s why there hasn’t been any new Doctor Who on TV since the Paul McGann movie.

Dax101
    Participant

The big finish stuff is mostly on the doctors of the past. the only way you get more adventures on them currently.

Dave
    Participant

Yes, I think Doctor Who is a bit of a special case in that each new Doctor refreshes the show to such an extent that it feels like a mini-relaunch each time, so new material featuring the old Doctors doesn’t tread on the toes of the current series in the same way.

I have nothing against the idea of Red Dwarf in audio form, and stuff like the audiobooks and Bodysnatcher has proved it can work that way. But I wouldn’t personally have any interest in spinoffs featuring minor Red Dwarf characters of the past, and I’m not sure that it would make a new RD TV series any more likely even if it did happen.

If the TV series finally hit a hard endpoint and we knew that no Series XIII was ever going to be on the cards, I guess full-cast audios could be fun if Doug and the cast were willing and able.

John Hoare
    Participant

I think once you get into all this area, I realise… I don’t really *need* to see any more of the Dwarfers. I have no appetite for any of this stuff at all, in the same way that I don’t listen to Doctor Who Big Finish stuff either. I have too much other shit I’ll never get round to listening to first.

Which is not a reason not to make any of that stuff, of course. This is about my limits, not the show’s.

Dave
    Participant

Yeah, that’s kind of what I’m getting at for me, too. I obviously wouldn’t object to any of this stuff existing for other people to enjoy it, but I don’t personally have much (if any) interest and I’m not even that desperate for more of the TV series.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’ll take one more Red Dwarf outing as long as it’s a TV sitcom and has everyone drawing a line under it, rather than making the occasional noise about bringing it back. No interest in stage shows, spin-offs, radio re-imaginings, TV reboots or 80 minute Blade Runner tributes. The only interest `I have in Red Dwarf in other mediums is in book-form, and that’s more on the original stuff in the first two.

If a fan wants Red Dwarf: The Next Generation, I’m kind of baffled as to why they like Red Dwarf in the first place.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

I see that Doug, Craig, Danny, Bobby & Norman are doing ‘Stoke Con Trent’ this weekend so hopefully someone will ask how things are looking (I imagine the answers will range from ‘no idea’ to ‘fingers crossed’ if so)

I’d hope if they do get renewed they’d go out with the intention of Red Dwarf XIII (or XIV) being the last one.

Since I bet they can make it really special if they went in with the intention this was the conclusion. Plus, I bet it being the final would boost ratings and probably interest Dave more than just another series would.

cwickham
    Participant

Seems worth noting here that Zapped has been cancelled

Ben Saunders
    Participant

My mate is going to be Craig Charles’ artist liaison at an upcoming festival he’s scheduled to appear at, an MD I’ve asked him to inquire about the XIII situation. It pays to have friends in high places.

(He’ll probably just get the standard “hopefully/soon” answer)

Plastic Percy
    Participant

One way or another, I’m just glad the show hasn’t ended (for the time being, at least) on a cliffhanger.

PFML84
    Participant

Well we have the recent pics Danny has been posting of some form of meeting and a pic yesterday of him getting a teeth moulding done. So it would appear something is afoot…

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Robert just announced XIII on Talksport

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Oddly glossed over but along the lines of “Are you doing any more?” “We are, we start filming XIII” followed by discussion of the show in general.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Evidently I was the only person to tune in since it’s got no mentions at all on twitter. Would think once the show finishes at 4 it’ll be on listen again at the link below, almost exactly halfway through.

https://talksport.com/radio/schedule/

bloodteller
    Participant

This makes all the overly-pessimistic comments about how XIII was never going to happen and that rubbish someone posted about a stage show “definitely happening” seem a bit silly, doesn’t it

Also- Series XIII! Fuck yeah

Stephen Abootman
    Participant
    Ben Saunders
    Participant

I don’t know what I’m looking forward to more, Series XIII or the response to it from certain people who assured us it was definitely not going to happen ever, we were definitely getting a stage show and that Danny definitely wouldn’t be getting his teeth moulded for another series.

Great news to wake up to (at 4pm), though

Katydid
    Participant

Everybody tweet Doug to make sure the editor on XIII realizes they have more than one model shot and music cue and that you don’t need to invoke that same fucking music cue when Howard Goodall literally composed something new and specific.

I’m an overall fan of XI / XII but I want to see the handling of model shots and music not done incompetently this time.

XII had a great soundtrack that got 90% thrown out.

I can hear his brain going “We start series thirteen- oh shit, I shouldn’t have confirmed that, er… I mean we’ve been doing it for ages and we love doing it, make-up and props lol”

Dax101
    Participant

>Everybody tweet Doug to make sure the editor on XIII realizes they have more than one model shot and music cue and that you don’t need to invoke that same fucking music cue when Howard Goodall literally composed something new and specific.

No offense against Andrew Ellard but perhaps a better script editor too. maybe even someone who can say ok Doug maybe only 1 plot is enough?

Perhaps also someone that can say Douglas am not sure the idea of the pink police offer rubbing his nipples is well… funny. maybe you could write a bit less, well silly?

Also a bit more early dwarf subtleness wouldn’t hurt.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Thanks Stephen, nicking this for the front page!

You bastard, Stephen sue this twat for everything he owns

If the Maybot wasn’t crashing today this would be on all the front pages.

performingmonkey
    Participant

> No offense against Andrew Ellard but perhaps a better script editor too.

‘No offense but, yeah, offense.’ xD

He took a fence and sat on it. Just like Jeremy.

si
    Participant

Little bit of politics.

just a smidge

si
    Participant

People these days are too young to realise that when I say ‘Little bit of politics’, I’m attempting to be funny, and mentally saying it in Ben Elton’s voice.

clem
    Participant

I’m not too young, although I do associate that line more with Rob Newman’s impression.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

“‘SMALL PENIS'”

I haven’t posted on here for a while, but I couldn’t resist.

si
    Participant

And if that wasn’t the comeback and a half we’ve been waiting for, I don’t know what is.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Couple of weeks eh….

Ianjk78
    Participant

This would make sense for the new AA Red Dwarf Commercial but Danny has said Red Dwarf XIII should be done by the end of the year.

Both Danny and Rob have now suggested XIII will be filmed in the second half of the year. It’s quite likely the final contractual things are being sorted out before any announcement can be made. Two people saying the same thing is a positive sign.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Two people once said they’d beat me up after school

Exactly.

Flap Jack
    Participant

I wouldn’t put too much stock in what Rob says. He’s probably too focused on The Quanderhorn Xperimentations.

(deleted)

They used to say things like this during the Movie years though. They were always about to start filming.

Six months for preproduction and shooting of an FX-heavy audience sitcom, with no standing sets, and without a formal commission or any cast seeing scripts yet… someone’s on the shonk.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

In other news, my band The Debbie Downers just released their new single, Based On No Evidence. Check it out if you can, sound of the summer.

(deleted)

Oh fuck off you tedious cunt.

Dax101
    Participant

You underestimate Dougs power of doing whatever it takes to get new Red Dwarf off the ground.

Ridley
    Participant

Unless it’s Big Finish.

There’s absolutely no need to rag on Darrel.

si
    Participant

They used to say things like this during the Movie years though. They were always about to start filming.

You mean that they’re not?

Dave
    Participant

I don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility that Series XIII is on the way, that formal arrangements are already being made behind the scenes, and that it just hasn’t been officially announced yet.

Comparing it to the movie just seems unrealistic – like actively willing it to not happen.

In a week where we’ve been pleasantly surprised by a new project that was (largely) successfully kept under wraps, I think it’s worth bearing in mind that just because we don’t know all the details for ourselves yet, it doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

(deleted)

Of course I want it to happen. I just don’t think it’s the certain bet everybody else does. The commission is not confirmed, therefore it’s still a *proposal* for a thirteenth series. That’s not negativity, it’s just perspective.

Dave
    Participant

That we know of.

(deleted)

Well, that’s kind of what a confirmation is.

Dave
    Participant

My point is that you have to take into account the fact that there may be things going on that we aren’t aware of.

If you assume that you’re in possession of all the facts when you’re not, then you’re going to inevitably draw the wrong conclusions.

A week ago, before the AA ad came out, we could have been having this exact same conversation about how impossible it would have been for new footage to come out on Monday when no filming had been done; It turned out it had been, we just didn’t know about it.

Without acknowledging that fans don’t have all the facts, and that we aren’t privy to what’s going on behind-the-scenes with Red Dwarf at the moment, you could end up drawing all sorts of false conclusions like a Red Dwarf stage show being the only possible reason why the cast might be getting together, as we had in another thread.

performingmonkey
    Participant

Tbf at one stage they DID think they were very close indeed to having the movie greenlit.

(deleted)

And we also had readthrough photos, pictures of Robert being lifecast, a preorder Amazon page for the tie-in book, and a teaser poster, on top of everything that what we’re getting now about XIII is echoing. They were always “in pre-production” or “about to start shooting.” For about 5 years.

I’ve been burned before. I have no shame in staying pessimistic on this. To be proven wrong will be all the more pleasing if I am, but I couldn’t be more sceptical right now. Maybe some fans are too young to have fully lived through the full 3D heartbreak of the broken Movie promises, or have forgotten it

(deleted)

(I will happily concede that both the BBC buyout of UKTV and the exposure from the AA ad make XIII more likely to happen, but that doesn’t change the fact that RD is not only not actively within a rolling commission, but enough time has passed since XII wrapped to effectively give XIII the pitch status of a ‘revival’ rather than a continuation.)

I want series 13. Don’t get me wrong on this. I just don’t see it.

cwickham
    Participant

I think the Amazon page for the Movie tie-in book is *still* up, all these years later.

Dax101
    Participant

Who says Doug doesn’t still have it planned to make the movie? :P

Bezzy
    Participant

I still believe Doug intends to end Red Dwarf completely with either a movie or a feature length episode.

XIII … maybe a XIV and end with a feature length XV

:) I can dream

performingmonkey
    Participant

> but enough time has passed since XII wrapped to effectively give XIII the pitch status of a ‘revival’ rather than a continuation.

Pitch your arse.

(deleted)

?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Darrel’s Arse RETURNS, brand new and exclusive to Dave, the home of shitty banter.

(deleted)

Maybe I shouldn’t have bothered coming back.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

enough time has passed since XII wrapped to effectively give XIII the pitch status of a ‘revival’ rather than a continuation

I share your concern that we’re heading in that direction, but I don’t think we’re quite there yet. – it may have been a while since the show was in production, but the broadcast of XII is still recent enough to classify as a continuation, if XIII were to be shown next year. Don’t forget there was a full four years between X and XI, and XII was only 2017. I was almost as pessimistic as you for a good while, so I know where you’re coming from, but the latest flurry of activity has thawed me a little.

(deleted)

I’ve not *not* thawed, but I still think not getting a recommission within 12 months of XII is a very big deal that no-one’s really processed. We did literally get axed, in a way that’s different from the ‘Dave want more, but we need to go back to the drawing board’ limbos of BtE and X. And we did lose the two biggest reasons XI/XII happened at all in the shape of Normal and Waddell. That’s a lot of injuries. I think my rationale in being so downbeat is correct even if my interpretation might be seen as excessive. (And I do think I’m right about the merch situation and botched anniversary too…)

I’ll be honest though, I was amazed when XI and XII got announced. For a while, X seemed like a pipe dream. I just can’t get the blank horror of 2008 out of my head, that’s what it is. It was the biggest ‘please clear out your lockers, lads’ we’ve ever had, and it remains my internal default for how to view RD production activity. On top of that the Movie stuff has trained me to assume everything is a bluff, wishful thinking and/or a downright lie. I’m always gobsmacked and delighted when new Red Dwarf makes it to screen at all.

And we all get surprised when something as ordinary as an ad on the tube appears, as though it shouldn’t really be there at all somehow and it’s some kind of backhanded trick. We’re all to some extent radicalised against expecting high competency from GNP. I think I’m just being a bit rawer in my relationship to this.

Best analogy is, even now we’re like a really shit football team that very rarely wins or scores. The times we win are joyous occasions, but expecting to lose is the healthiest way of getting through a Saturday afternoon.

si
    Participant

The times we win are joyous occasions, but expecting to lose is the healthiest way of getting through a Saturday afternoon.</bloockquote>

Welcome to life as a Sheffield United supporter.

si
    Participant

Oh, fuck that.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

>I will happily concede that both the BBC buyout of UKTV and the exposure from the AA ad make XIII more likely to happen

Plus Dave’s advert for moving channel where they got the model unit in and the blurb on their corporate website that says “It’s not just in front of the camera where the comic genius lies either, with a wealth of scripted treasure such as Sliced, Porters and the globally popular Red Dwarf” [2 shows that aired new episodes in the last 3 months and one that aired a year and a half ago] suggests they very much regard Dwarf as an active concern (I don’t see them promoting repeats of Top Gear or Zapped alongside all their new shows for instance).

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Update https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/10/danny-john-jules-admits-not-everyone-signed-new-red-dwarf-series-10717026/

“Danny John-Jules says Red Dwarf is ‘waiting to get everyone signed up’. With the four leads having their own work commitments, including Danny’s one man show I’ve Got To Be Me, there’s a bit of jostling going on to bring everyone on board. But fans of the sci-fi show needn’t worry, the show is on track to return once the cast is locked in. Speaking to Metro.co.uk at the TV Choice Awards on Monday night, he said of the new series: ‘It’s gonna be funny. ‘We’re just waiting for the ink and the stamps to go down. ‘I’m doing my one-man show so I’m not really concentrating on Red Dwarf. I’m not in Cat mode because I can do that like a light switch.

‘Right now it’s about trying to get everybody signed up.’

He added that no one has seen a script or any potential ideas for new episodes yet, and asked if there is anything he would like to see happen to his character, Danny is fine just to go with the flow. The actor told us: ‘I never ask anybody to write anything. I never have in 31 years. I’ve never asked for more lines. ‘When my character was the smallest I never asked for a bigger part. Why tamper with success?’

So what does he think is the key to Red Dwarf’s ongoing success? Danny, 59, insisted: ‘The key is talent. Showbiz. That’s what we’re here for, so every single person should be on that road, otherwise why are we here? ‘The actors are all dedicated to their characters and that’s why it works. There’s not any magic. ‘You don’t see us all hanging out at the pub every week. Why do you not see photos of all the Red Dwarf cast together? We’ve been in the show 31 years. Because we’re all individuals.’ Hopefully those individuals can get their acts together to bring us another hilarious series.”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ah shit. Danny’s talking to journalists again.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But he’s the only cast member so far to do so with a realistic appraisal of the current status.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

I’m sure I read on a Red Dwarf Facebook group a couple of weeks back that Craig confirmed it on I think, Sara Cox’s show.

Lily
    Participant

It must get frustrating for the guys to be constantly asked about Dwarf when they’re busy trying to pimp out whatever it is they’re currently working on.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Even more frustrating when it’s Danny, who is his own worst publicist. It’s bad enough when he gets ‘misquoted’, it’s worse when they just lift what he says verbatim and it just reads as nonsense.

‘The key is talent.’
    [Cringe]

‘Showbiz. That’s what we’re here for, so every single person should be on that road, otherwise why are we here?’
    Every single person on the planet should be in showbiz to justify their existence? What does this even mean?

‘The actors are all dedicated to their characters and that’s why it works.’
    That’s not why Red Dwarf works. That’s just how good actors work.

‘There’s not any magic’.
    OK..?

“You don’t see us all hanging out at the pub every week. Why do you not see photos of all the Red Dwarf cast together?”
    Because you all hate each other? Because the media isn’t interested?

“We’ve been in the show 31 years. Because we’re all individuals.’
    And professionalism is…and that is what I want

“Ah shit. Danny’s talking to journalists again.”

Send the bin men around.

*Allegedly

Hamish
    Participant

Thing is, you do see pictures of the cast together. Getting a curry for instance.

“Thing is, you do see pictures of the cast together. Getting a curry for instance.”

….in 1963?

Katydid
    Participant

Well, at least it seems pretty much confirmed that we’ll _eventually_ get a 13th series. Y’know, one of these days. I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest this could be the big one, the last ever, so we should probably start setting up the for the eventual Chromium Canvass poll that will be the show’s legacy.

Still, you have to admit, 1988-202? is a pretty decent run.

An astonishing -1786 years!

It’s perfectly consistent with current theory. Everything starts with a Big Bang, right? And the universe starts expanding. Eventually, when it’s expanded as far as it can, there’s a big crunch, right? And everything starts contracting. Perfectly possible that time starts running in the opposite direction, as well.

(deleted)

You know guys, I’m starting to think I may have been right all along.

Dave
    Participant

About Cat’s new teeth definitely being for a Red Dwarf stage show?

(deleted)

And repeated apologies for the huge error I made in assuming that a comedy team that announces plans to go on tour might actually do that within five bastard years of saying so. I’ve learned my lesson now.

The lesson I am currently learning btw is remaining credulous at the idea that the four main cast members of Red Dwarf are triple-A-listers in such high demand that it’s nigh-on impossible to book them through for six weeks and requires a triage period of several years. Like they’re the Beatles in 1976.

Doug is working with Rob again is the reason for the delay.

*But don’t quote me on that.

clem
    Participant

Today’s TOS update is just about Craig’s many DJ gigs between now and the end of the year, but it ends like this: “Phew. With all of this, it’s a wonder he ever finds the time for anything else…”

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

the November start date still on for now it seems

I wonder if that’s when pre-production starts, with audience shoots in the new year.

They would have officially announced and done the tickets by now surely if that was really the case. November is only 6 weeks away.

Dave
    Participant

As part of secrecy measures they’re not doing tickets this time. Instead they’re pursuing a bold new strategy of waking randomly-selected Red Dwarf fans in their beds at 3am and shipping them to the studio to watch the clandestine recordings.

MANI506
    Participant

In the XII documentary the Naylors were suggesting extra rehearsal time so my nostradamus prediction is that we’ll see recordings spread between December and February with two weeks between each one.

Maybe after all the call backs to earlier series, with the final two episodes having very specific The End/Series 1 references, maybe Doug is going to take it to the extreme and, rather than release tickets, go and round people up from the pubs an hour before recording so that the audience is filled with half drunk people that don’t know what’s going on.

Dave
    Participant

Or it’s going to be produced in homage to Series VII.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I can think of less appropriate things to homage.

si
    Participant

Saw this earlier, and got all excited thinking the Tweet was from UKTV. And it’s not, it’s just RTing Robert’s ‘November’ Tweet mentioned further up.

Katydid
    Participant

New theory:

Rob Grant returns to Red Dwarf, but he and Doug go back and forth each writing every other line without any plan or communication.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

CONSEQUENCES AND PARLOUR GAMES

Rob and Doug take turns writing sentences in a script, folding the piece of paper before passing in on. When the subsequent episode hangs together slightly better than Dear Dave, they consider it a pleasing success.

Sorry. Wong thread.

Dave
    Participant

More evidence today that there’s definitely no new Red Dwarf happening.

Viewing 100 posts - 101 through 200 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.