Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum And now a game everybody at G&T can enjoy…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Found on b3ta, which for some reason I still visit from time to time.

srmcd1
    Participant

My only surprise is that it wasn’t invented sooner.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Most swear words are actually valid in tournament Scrabble, anyway. The only ones that don’t tend to be are ones that are compounds of multiple words – so the likes of CUNT, SHIT, FUCK, TWAT, PISS, BOLLOCKS etc. are all valid, but PISSFLAPS isn’t. DICKHEAD is, though.

Just in time for my Grandma’s 90th birthday. Ta!

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Eh, Seb. We know how to swear us lot, don’t we? :)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Why is Z fighting with S for possesion of CUNT? Is CUNTZ a word now?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

It is in da hood, bruv…

anniescribe
    Participant

Mabel, you ignorant zcunt …

Blisschick
    Participant

I’m married to the son of a sailor. This game I can play.

redhead85
    Participant

> Eh, Seb. We know how to swear us lot, don’t we? :)

What is it they shout in the slums? UGGY UGGY UGGY!

anniescribe
    Participant

And my only edge is being raised lower-class hillbilly … good for cussing, maybe not for spelling.

Blisschick
    Participant

>>>And my only edge is being raised lower-class hillbilly … good for cussing, maybe not for spelling.

I don’t think the spelling issue is limited to just hillbillies, anymore. Have you read the interwebs lately? Oy vey!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

0][ v3y, i think it’s spelt now…

HelloMabel
    Participant

> And my only edge is being raised lower-class hillbilly … good for cussing, maybe not for spelling.

Whereas I was brought up to be a pretentious wuss who believed that people who cussed were bad people. As a kid I once asked my aunt why those guys playing ping-pong kept saying “bullcrap.” Told that it’s a swear word, I started crying because I had said it out loud!

If I could talk to ten-year-old me, I would shake her by the shoulders and say, quit being such a goodie-goodie twat.

anniescribe
    Participant

See, I knew all the words by the time I was five. My dad was kind of like the one in “A Christmas Story.” Only without the lamp.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Only I didn’t say “fudge.”

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>See, I knew all the words by the time I was five. My dad was kind of like the one in “A Christmas Story.” Only without the lamp.

The networks screen this movie every Christmas, so I got the option of watching it. Last time I got as far as the lamp being “accidentally” broken and changed the channel. It was such a weird movie, it felt more like a series of events that happened in December than a Christmas movie.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago (cropped to 4:3, annoyingly) and it is perhaps best described as cute, but lacking substance.

Blisschick
    Participant

Oddly, twat and titties were in our family vocabulary and not considered vulgar, but anything else was considered a cuss word. Considering the context of my family, it’s weird looking back on it.

anniescribe
    Participant

I think ACS is rather a Midwest movie – other Midwesterners I know largely like it and can relate their childhoods to a lot in it. That’s not to say nobody else CAN, but I do think region plays a little into how substantive you find it. Also, your time period – I grew up in the 70s, but we lived in a rural area and I spent most of my time with grandparents and their friends, so there’s a lot in ACS that matches stories they used to tell to entertain me as a little kid, from the 1930s and 40s.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Yeah, my last girlfriend absolutely loved A Christmas Story, and she originally hails from Ohio.

Pecospete666
    Participant

The Bumpus’s dogs! And the tounge frozen to the flag pole are the parts I liked,and the Leg Lamp!

HelloMabel
    Participant

My Okie side of the family loves that movie, and many of them can quote it as easily as I can quote Red Dwarf lines. The leg lamp inspired a running gag at our Christmas parties, in which mannequin legs got passed to a different man each year in the Dirty Santa game. They finally ended up as the bumpers for Uncle Mike’s boat.

Oh, the shenanigans we got up to in the rollicking Reagan years!

Yaron Ru
    Participant

Goodness me, we need a mobile version coded and released YESTERDAY!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I often see A Christmas Story cited as an influence on The Wonder Years and if it truly was (and there are a couple of similarities), I salute it.

I’m not keen on the episodic nature of it, but love the bit where Ralphie swears in front of his dad, or when he fakes an alternative cause for his eye injury. Both of those bits hit home.

Seriously, no one’s going to mention the bunny outfit?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.