Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Anyone going to Wales Comic Con then?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

It’ll be my first convention, the Red Dwarf cast will be there and I’m pretty damn excited! I’d say that just about makes up for having to miss out on another Dimension Jump – and the only reason I say “just about” is because Doug Naylor won’t be there (curse you, lucky DJ-attending folk!).

The only other guest there whose work I know of/ am a big fan of is Nicholas Brendon. So, I’m really looking forward to seeing the Boys from the Dwarf and Xander!

Any other people here going?

Kris Carter
    Participant

Yes, I’m a comic guest there. Feel free to swing by my table matey, and say hello!

I’ll be sketching, selling my ‘Lou Scannon’ comics, and I should have a Red Dwarf based print up there too if I can finish it in time.

I’ll also be harassing the cast before the doors open to get some signatures before the queues go apeshit… I made a complete dick of myself in front of Chris and Robert last time, I imagine this time will be NO different. *sigh* I’m such a social fucktard. But I digress…

Anyone else going?

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

Ha! I’ve had a similar thing happen to me during the two times I met The Blanks (Ted’s Band on Scrubs) – made a dick out of myself both times!

I shall definitely come and say hello!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Kris “Jump Leads Colorist” Carter will be there??? Oh man. That’s my favourite comic!!1

Kris Carter
    Participant

I know, right? But Ben! Where could people find said publication?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Jump Leads? Why, I believe you can read the entire comic online for free at Jump-Leads.com! Ten issues of sparklingly witty scifi-comedy with spectacular artwork!

I hear you’ve moved on to some webcomic about poorly-secured naval weaponry. It’ll never take off.

ChrisM
    Participant

Snigger. Oh you lads! Behave!
    :)

> I made a complete dick of myself in front of Chris and Robert last time

Years ago I went with my mum and brother to that Collectormania in Manchester when Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were promoting Hot Fuzz. At the end of their talk my mum ran up to Frost, who was handing out T-Shirts and coo’d “Helloooooo”, and he looked down at her from the stage and coo’d “Helloooooo” right back at her.

I think the moral of my story is that if we don’t make dicks of ourselves in front of celebrities, our mothers will do it for us.

As for why we went with our mum… well, she kind of bought the tickets. Would’ve been downright rude to leave her at home.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

So I went and had a good time!

Yesterday for me was very exciting and very surreal in some ways. It being my first convention, I didn’t know that you had to book tickets in advance for photoshoots with the guests. I think the Red Dwarf cast may have been the most popular guests there – by the time I got there, all the tickets for the Red Dwarf cast photoshoot had been taken but I did manage to get a ticket for the one with Nicholas Brendon, and when it was time for the Red Dwarf Q & A, the room was the most packed it had been.

At the time I got my ticket for the Nicholas Brendon shoot, the cast were doing autographs in the next room. So I thought since I wasn’t getting my photo with all of them, I could only afford to get one autograph and a photo taken with one cast member. I went for Chris Barrie and soon as I approached him, I instantly made a dick of myself; I was basically like a timid fangirl with a stupid smile on my face and barely able to speak. But Chris was very nice, he shook my hand, and at the end of the day, I GOT A PHOTO TAKEN WITH CHRIS EFFIN’ BARRIE AND (sort of) SPOKE TO HIM! I also remember when I first went in to the room, I heard one fan rush to Norman Lovett and say “PLEASE come back to Red Dwarf!”. Unfortunately, I didn’t hear Norman’s response.

Then I went for the photoshoot with Nicholas Brendon and I was no different around him than I was with Chris Barrie. Nicholas was really nice, charming and funny though – as I was walking up to him to have my photo taken, he was singing the Spice Girls song ‘Wannabe’ to himself.

The Q & A sessions were running late. By the time I got there, the Nicholas Brendon one was about to start. Again, he was very funny and charming and best of all, did the snoopy dance for us. I got the feeling that he’s done that at EVERY convention he’s been to.

Next was a Q & A with some lovely people from Star Wars. I’m not a massive Star Wars fan but decided to stay for it because I was a little interested… and the Red Dwarf Q & A would be next after that. I’m glad I did stay though. Warwick Davis was by far the funniest guy there and the bloke who played Greedo had a good sense of humour, too.

Then the Red Dwarf Q & A was being set up and I got the feeling that it was like a more bigger event. Some cameras were being set up for this and more and more people were filling the room. I manged to get a seat in the front row and ended up talking to some love people sat next to me. One of them was sporting a beautifully home-made ‘H’ and the “Give Quiche a Chance” shirt. They were telling me how Danny John-Jules was joking with them earlier, calling them “Chris Barrie Fan Girls”.

The Q & A session was great fun. Craig, Danny and Robert started off by taking photos of the audience while the audience were taking photos of them. Craig and Danny were their usually funny selves, and taking the piss out of Norman a lot of the time. Chris was a little quiet at first, and unfortunately, I don’t think Hattie really spoke much. But it was good fun. Definitely the funnest and funniest Q & A. Sadly, no matter how many times I put my hand up, I didn’t get to ask my question but oh well. Still had a great time.

After that, I went to see Kris Carter. We had a lovely chat and it was great for me to meet a fellow Red Dwarf fan from this site for the first time. I bought the first issue of his ‘Lou Scannon’ comic and looking forward to reading that. There was also a beautiful Red Dwarf print by him that I saw and now wish I had bought! Silly me!

As I said at the start, it was very exciting and very surreal. I’d never met celebrities before and at one point, I’m walking past Warwick Davis and his wife as they were waiting for some lift doors to open. When I was in line for the Nicholas Brendon photoshoot, Norman Lovett walked past me coming back from the bathroom. And as I was waiting for my train home at Wrexham station, Hattie Hayridge arrived at the station and got on the same train as me. I think she did see me looking at her when I suddenly spotted her and was thinking to myself, “Holy Shit! That’s Hattie Hayridge!!” I did consider going up to her and just saying “It was lovely seeing you at Comic Con and I do hope we get to see you return to Red Dwarf at some point” but I thought I should probably let her have her privacy.

Apologies for how bloody long this is and the lack of something MUCH more better written that I’m sure someone from Team G&T could’ve provided if they were there and wanted to write about it (assuming none of you guys were there). If you actually read all this and didn’t just skip to the end, I love you.

anniescribe
    Participant

Bless you for leaving Hattie alone. When you mentioned the train, I thought of that TBBT where Howard and Raj were fighting over who would hit on Summer Glau, and Howard’s creepy come-ons, LOL …

Bexley Heath
    Participant

If you actually read all this and didn’t just skip to the end, I love you.

Aww! I love you too. ;) It was fun to read! I’ve never been to a con (not going to DJ, but I’ll be at the one in August that I plugged that Chris is booked for, and I’m kind of excited-but-scared). So it’s nice to hear other people’s reports, and know that we’re all in the same starstruck, overwhelmed boat :D

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’m not a massive Star Wars fan

Whaa…!!?

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

I have seen the Star Wars flicks and do also enjoy certain behind the scenes doccos (recently also watched ‘The People vs. George Lucas’). I’m not really that passionate about it like loads of other people are.I do really like the first three (IV, V & VI) but I’ve probably only seen them like three times at the most. I’ve seen the later ones less and pretty much hate them like everyone else (Episode III a little less, though. Sort of).

Bless you for leaving Hattie alone. When you mentioned the train, I thought of that TBBT where Howard and Raj were fighting over who would hit on Summer Glau, and Howard’s creepy come-ons, LOL …

Ha! I hope Hattie didn’t think of that…

Aww! I love you too. ;) It was fun to read! I’ve never been to a con (not going to DJ, but I’ll be at the one in August that I plugged that Chris is booked for, and I’m kind of excited-but-scared). So it’s nice to hear other people’s reports, and know that we’re all in the same starstruck, overwhelmed boat :D

Indeed! Glad you had fun reading it and I’m sure you’ll have a blast at your first con :o)

Kris Carter
    Participant

Aye, it was a cracking convention – I sat at my table from 10 till 5, and didn’t stop sketching. Brilliant fun, but meant I missed EVERYTHING. Gah. I heard that the RD guys liked my print of them, and a few people showed me signed ones, which was nice. Nice to meet Monsieur Fletcher in the Fletch so to speak, and we had a good ol’ natter for a while, even going as far as to praise the G&T staff, even though they were nowhere around. Weird of us, but hey.

After the event shut up shop, as I was leaving I finally got to meet Norman, Danny and Hattie, who were all just brilliant – I’d never met Danny before, I’d only ever seen him in photographs. He was exactly as I’d always imagined, only much shorter.

Anyways, I only printed 30 of the Dwarf print, and I’ve only got a few left, so I’m shilling the suckers for £7 (included postage you lucky effers), so if anyone wants one, paypal me at drivaaar at ninjapea dot co dot uk.

It’s A4, looks like this, high quality glossy print, and is a right old continuity fuck-up.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Can you put one aside for me? I’ll be able to actually buy it next week. Or the week after.

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

Just looking at the print again, I’m noticing lovely little details I didn’t see on first look like Talkie Toaster, Kryten’s groinal attachment and it may sound weird, but I didn’t even notice the Skutter! If there’s any more prints still available in a fortnight when I get paid, I’m definitely buying!

Monsieur Fletcher in the Fletch

Starting to wish I could change my username now, narcissistic sod that I am.

anniescribe
    Participant

Kris, are you still here at the hotel Monday morning? If you were at breakfast say, around 8:30, I might be able to buy one …

anniescribe
    Participant

Or, can you tell me what purchase and shipping would total to the U.S.?

Kris Carter
    Participant

I’ve still enough left for your three, no worries! Anniescribe, I wasn’t at DJ unfortunately, but I’ll send these State-ward for the same price, so Paypal me £7 or equivalent in $, and that’ll be fine. Same for you Ben.

anniescribe
    Participant

Argh, forgot this wasn’t for DJ. READ, Ann.

Easier to PayPal you or to mail cash in-country? I’m still here. Will be in Oxford and London this week if you’re in either place. I live to accommodate, LOL.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Hey Annie, I’m in neither spot I’m afraid, so paypal is probably yer best bet. Details are in the post above!

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

The Q & A is now on youtube if anyone wants to watch it

Blisschick
    Participant

Saw the link on my FB page earlier. Danny and Craig are just attention whores, yes? LOL It was pretty good, but I think the DJ Q&A was funnier.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.