Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Attention, Keyboardists and Guitarists:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HelloMabel
    Participant

ADMIN EDIT: Anyone wanting to use this thread please use a simple fixed width font or text editor such as NotePad(Win) or TextEdit(Mac) for your chord/tab formatting and copypaste the text into the post. and please use the <pre> and <\pre> tags at the start and end of your chords/tab. Thank you.

Behold, some chords that resemble the sublime Ace Cemetery music. The first six bars contain some of the most complicated music I’ve ever attempted to figure out. Feel free to quibble – I’m sure some of these chords are wrong.

‘|’ is a barline.
    b means flat, e.g. Bb means B flat.
    % means hold the previous chord for one more beat.
    All chords are major except those indicated “mi” or “sus4.”
    For seventh chords, assume a flatted 7 unless I wrote “+7.”
    I put a slash between a chord and its bass note whenever the root of the chord is not the bass note.
    In other words, the item after a slash is always a single note (the bass note), never a chord.

| Cmi % Cmi9/Bb % | Fmi7/Ab % Gmi7 % | Ebsus4/Bb % Eb+7/G % |

| Cmi/G, Cmi7/Ab, Bb7sus4/F % | Eb+7 % Gmi7/D % | Db % Fmi/C % |

| Db % Eb % | Bbmi7 % Fmi % | Db % Eb % | Bbmi7 % Fmi % | 

| Db % Eb % | Bbmi7 % Fmi % | Db % Eb % | F % % % | 
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I like the idea of this thread.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Have you tried out the progression yet?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Flobadob, blib blob blib.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Flobadob, blib blob blib.

Lol, Seb.

Mabel, no I haven’t I’m just going to try something

This is a test for monospacing fonts 

Yay it works! Mabel (and anyone else wanting to do this) if you use the <pre>and</pre> it turns the font monospaced for easy formatting of chords and barlines etc…

Bexley Heath
    Participant

When I get home, I’m getting straight on to this. You rock, Mabel. At least, I’m going to prematurely declare that you do, on the assumption that what you’ve posted isn’t a load of discordant nonsense, which it looks like it probably isn’t.

I recently figured out how to play the Strauss-Waltz-esque arrangement of the theme that plays over the spacewalk in Confidence & Paranoia on 60-bass piano accordion, if anyone’s interested…

HelloMabel
    Participant

Bexley, would it be possible/convenient to bring your accordion to DJ? I could play along with your arrangement on violin. The hammond organ theme would probably sound great on accordion, too.

>[…] on the assumption that what you’ve posted isn’t a load of discordant nonsense, which it looks like it probably isn’t.

Thank you. Not discordant, no, but bits of it do get quite heart-wrenchingly dissonant.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>Yay it works! Mabel (and anyone else wanting to do this) if you use the [code] [/code] tags (with <‘s not [‘s obviously), it turns the font monospaced for easy formatting of chords and barlines etc…

Oh yes, that looks much nicer to read. Hooray! I am rubbish at html tags, but I think I can just about master that one. Next up will be the fugal theme from "Kryten."

The best thing about chord progressions: they are uncopyrightable! We are safe if we refrain from posting melodies.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Yes that’s a good point. Melodies would be hard to post, but I think Tablature should be ok as long as it isn’t copied verbatim from a official source (which I dont believe exists for tab anyways.).

Keep them Dwarf-centric if you can please. Also Mabel. If you wanted to use spaces to line up your bars, you can do. Cappsy’s worked his magic on the tag to allow for them. Fankoo Cappsy!

I’ll be testing out your progression later today Mabel, so i’ll let you know.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You should be using pre tags rather than code, by the way. That’s the one that can handle spaces best.

Bexley Heath
    Participant

When I get home, I’m getting straight on to this.

Erm, turns out you shouldn’t say that on days when Howard Goodall sheet music is likely to drop through your letterbox. OH MY GOD THE TONGUE TIED PIANO FANTASY! Yesterday was a good day for Dwarf-related music :D

Today! I’ll get on to it today. *puts it on daily goal list

Bexley, would it be possible/convenient to bring your accordion to DJ?

Oh my! Well, at the moment, I actually don’t have plans to attend DJ… but that’s the closest I’ve had to an invitation, and it’s certainly tempting. Colour me silly, but I’m really rather touched. I only mentioned my accordion-playing to get a laugh from how absurdly nerdy and niche an interest it was! Talk about misjudging your audience ;)

The hammond organ theme would probably sound great on accordion, too.

That is genius. Why on earth haven’t I tried that yet? It’ll be very easy to adapt from the waltz.

Next up will be the fugal theme from “Kryten.”

Oh my god, it never occurred to me before that it’s just a minor-key-ish version of the main theme. Apparently I have a talent for missing extremely obvious things.

This thread is making me very happy and I intend to continue lengthily spamming it in the future :D

HelloMabel
    Participant

This is a test of the “preformatted” alert system.

It didnt work. I used and , but my extra spaces dont show. Probably a painfully obvious beginners mistake.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Try:

<pre>MAGIC MUSIC LANGUAGE</pre>

HelloMabel
    Participant

Those are the very tags I used. I’m at a different computer now, so…

This

is only

a

test.

It only did one line break between each line, although I put in three. And it didn’t transfer the extra space between “is” and “only” and before “test.”

Maybe I should use both pre and code tags.

Wide open spaces.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The usual text format of the box won’t allow for multiple spaces, it’ll simply ignore them.

if you put <pre>

between your       text you want to be monospaced.

That'll allow      for spaces,

And multiple line carries :) 

</pre>

the <code> tag isn’t what should be used

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

There we go! Tis working now. I really would recommend using a text editor though to get your alignment right before pasting into a forum post. The text setting in the forum post gives no indication of the final post.

The one I posted where all the | are lined up I did in a TextEdit first, knowing it would look like that with the pre tags.

HelloMabel
    Participant

That’s another problem – I’m on a public computer and I’ve got Word and Notepad, but not TextEdit or TextPad. I’ll just tinker with it until the spacing is halfway decent.

Also, being contrapuntal music, its form is not periodic or “four-square” the way, say, the theme from “Androids” is. That makes it a bit trickier to line up the barlines.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

You only have to use the pre tage once before the text and once when you’re finished, you dont have to put on on every line.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Aha! *double self-facepalm*

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

NotePad will work fine, just make sure you’re using a monospaced font like Courier New.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Here are chords for the fugal theme from “Kryten.” This one sounds good if the right hand plays the chords while the left hand plays the bass notes in the rhythm of four crotchets per bar.

|F#mi % % % |Bmi % % % |F#mi % % % |C#7  %  %   % |

|F#mi % % % |Bmi % E % |A   %  D % |G#dim % C#7 % |

|F#mi % G#dim % |F#mi/A % F# % |Bmi %  %  % |Emi % % %|

|Bmi %  %  % |Emi %  %  %|A %  %  %|D % % %|G %  %  % |

|F#7 %  %  % |F#mi/A %  %  % |G#7 %  %  % |C# %  %  % |

|Ddim, F#mi/C#, Fdim7, F#mi |F#mi % % % |F#mi/A % % % |

|G#dim/B  %  %  %  |C#,  Bmi7,  C#  %  |F#mi  %  %  % |

HOORAY!

HelloMabel
    Participant

PS: thanks for your very patient help.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

No problems.

Mabel: i’ve deleted the previous post with the bigger spacing as the text was making the thread hard to read. Thank you.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Oops, I meant to delete that myself. Embarrassing.

>Keep them Dwarf-centric if you can please.

So, at some point you’ll be sharing your “Chilly Down” chords with us, right?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.