Avenue 5 – Armando Iannucci 'space comedy' gets greenlit at HBO

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Avenue 5 – Armando Iannucci 'space comedy' gets greenlit at HBO

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Taiwan Tony 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

performingmonkey

Starring Hugh Laurie, and Rebecca Front’s in it, for crying out loud, as well as the brilliant Lenora Crichlow. Of great interest, indeed….!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/armando-iannuccis-space-comedy-avenue-5-ordered-series-at-hbo-1203748?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

si

Hmmmm. Sounds interesting.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

The fascinating thing about this is that Iannucci has gone on record before about his distaste for Red Dwarf.

It’ll be interesting to see what his version of a space sitcom is, and how it differs.

si

There’ll be some patio doors, I imagine.

Dave

The fascinating thing about this is that Iannucci has gone on record before about his distaste for Red Dwarf.

I don’t think I ever heard about this. What did he say?

Ridley

“If you like Red Dwarf, you’ll love Hyperdrive.”

performingmonkey

Makes no sense why he’d diss Dwarf.

Darrell

I can’t wait to see the angry middle aged one who swears creatively, the harangued older one who doesn’t do much but gets dragged along, the naive younger one who doesn’t have a personality but usually connects the subplots at the end, and two tutting women with no funny lines to say who are just Dorothy and Deborah from Men Behaving Badly but power-dressed. With starfields behind the windows.

Plastic Percy

What about the aging career woman with a strained marriage and worries about her femininity?

John Hoare

G&T Admin

I don’t think I ever heard about this. What did he say?

A certain Seb Patrick went to a Q&A with Armando Iannucci, and he said he didn’t really like Red Dwarf. I’m sure he talked about it on here, but I’m buggered if I can find the thread now.

Dave

Ah, I found this (second comment down).

https://www.ganymede.tv/2006/02/its-a-pod/

Thanks John.

si

Thohn.

Warbodog

GlenTokyo

It’s like Fhloston Paradise from The Fifth Element but a TV show.

It’ll obviously be decent, what with the writers and cast, but surprised at how unextraordinary it looks to say it’s a HBO show, not that it looks bad.

GlenTokyo

Maybe that’s more a reflection on how normal TV has come on though in comparison to Premium cable channels.

Anyway, will watch.

Dave

Looks good I reckon.

Warbodog

Not watched Veep, so I don’t know how Armando’s Americanization’s gone. He’s the only writer for this listed on reliable old Wikipedia, so I don’t know if he’ll be delegating or not. Starts in January, definitely worth a try.

si

Yes, looks very decent.

Lily

So how does one watch HBO shows in the UK anyway?

GlenTokyo

It’ll probably be on Sky Atlantic.

performingmonkey

It’s a shame Capaldi’s not leading this tbh. Obviously, Hugh is more known to American audiences.

For a moment it looked like there was a huge disaster, leaving minimal crew, but Armando wouldn’t do that….?? You also just know the ‘notes’ from HBO, telling him to tap into ‘The Good Place’-type vibes, constantly kept dropping. Much like everything had to be like ‘The Office’ for a number of years.

Still, Rebecca Front and all that!!

Warbodog

It’s a shame it’s not “Hello” Hugh from The Armando Iannucci Shows, but he would be 106, if he wasn’t dead.

Taiwan Tony

^ I read that in the style of Hugh from the Armando shows. His legacy will live on.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.