Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Baileys “At least it isn’t a smegging pencil” Red Dwarf modelling project

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    A Bailey
    Participant

Sick off the teasing set reports that I can’t attend, I’ve decided to create my own fun by tackling the project of building myself a 3d model of Red Dwarf. It isn’t the classic Dwarf, nor is it the Pencil. I’m aiming for something that is between how I visualize the novel version of the short rouge one, and the more industrial appearance seen in the remastering.

All up this is a couple of days work, the scoop isn’t built yet and most of the greebling is just quick and dirty.

http://i.imgur.com/bpMfq.jpg

TheLeen
    Participant

I like.

Good project.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Where’s the scoop??…it’s supposed to have a scoop!!? Okay…apart from the missing scoop, it’s good. But I wanna see a scoop goddamnit!!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

TIL about the term ‘Greebling’. Didn’t know it actually had a name.

Arthur Streeb.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Looks like it’s starting to come together.

What’s the code you’re trying to use to embed?

A Bailey
    Participant

Just wrapping img tags around the image.

A Bailey
    Participant

A bit of progress in the modelling, then a whole lot of faffing about testing out lighting and material options.

Progress >

edit: Figured it, although apparently editing posts moves their position in the thread lol.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

You have to use HTML tags. I usually have to google to check the tags, but it’s …but using , > keys instead of [ ] keys

Your images are…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

what are you building this in, Blender? Maya? 3DS Max?

It looks excellent, by the way…

A Bailey
    Participant

Building it in Max.

Paul Muller
    Participant

I’m teaching myself After Effects at the moment, and have been doing a lot of wanky sci-fi compositing stuff recently – http://vimeo.com/user7170118

Would be an interesting practice exercise to take some of your finished shots and play around with them a bit in AE, if you were up for it?

A Bailey
    Participant

That would be awesome, although I can’t guarantee how long it will take me to get this finished. I have no experience with video editing so could definitely work out well. :)

This test render from a few days ago is about the limit of my video editing knowledge:

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That looked brilliant!

What do you prefer? Video /w Alpha Channel, or green chroma?

Paul Muller
    Participant

Yeah it’s looking very cool – the lighting really picks out the surface details.

Let me know when you’ve got some finished shots!

A Bailey
    Participant

Danny: At the moment I just have the stars as a static background, none of that fancy composition stuff for me!

Done some more modelling today and focused on building the scoop pretty damn detailed, since I want to recreate the end credits flythrough eventually, and a quick texture test.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

We have scoop! We have scoop!!!! I can sleep easy tonight :)

Looking really good. I like that angle

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Needs an observation dome or 5 though… ;)

A Bailey
    Participant

It will have. While I adore the original physical model, it definitely seems to be missing various details that much up to sets like the launch bays, observation dome, or even things like the walkways outside sleeping quarters.

A Bailey
    Participant

Starting to get quite happy with the textures, now need to stop putting off the boring stuff and get around to optimising a ton of unseen polys out of the model so I can add more detail (I built up the panelwork through several layers to give it real depth, meaning there is a ton of stuff that will never be seen by the camera that is just hogging resources)

Paul Muller
    Participant

It’s looking good mate.

A Bailey
    Participant

thomasaevans
    Participant

This Is some very good work. Not sure about the textures in the above picture, but I see what your trying to do and It’s encouraging. Persist!!! Cracking stuff!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.