Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum best series of dwarf ??

Viewing 53 posts - 1 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    NitroChrisUK
    Participant

obvious question thats probably been asked here a million times but i thought id ask again .. best series of rd and why …mine would have to be 3 most of my favourate episodes all come from 3 “backwards” “polymoph” “marooned” and i think its also a massive jump from series 1 and 2

Dave
    Participant

VI

TheLeen
    Participant

I

Andrew
    Participant

III

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

IX

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I like Series 2, but i like VI more, although 1 has some redeeming features, I think III has some classic episodes but 1 and 2 are where it all started for me, but not VII or VIII, just 1 and 2. :)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

But seriously. VI is my favorite.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

V

Tarka Dal
    Participant

IV.

No II.

*Aaaaa-rrrrrrrrrr-ggggggggggg-hhhhhhhhhhh*

ChrisM
    Participant

Can we have joint favourites?

I think 5 and 6.

Although it’s more a case of liking individual episodes scattered throughout the various series, if that makes sense.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Andrew
    Participant

Interesting that the word ‘original’ is missing from the line at the bottom of that artwork…

Well, to me anyway.

JamesTC
    Participant

That because he prefers the remastered Series II.
    Mine is VI.

p2p_productions
    Participant

Depends what mood I’m in.

Okay… I’ll say IV.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

V.

Next?

JamesTC
    Participant

V.

Next?

VI comes after V.

hummingbird
    Participant

II

closely followed by IV

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Interesting that the word ?original? is missing from the line at the bottom of that artwork?

I thought that, but by that point I’d already posted it… it was just the first result on a Google Image search…

(is there a better shorthand for that? Gimage, maybe?)

pfm
    Participant

5 or 2. It would be 2 every time if it wasn’t for Parallel Universe, which I don’t much like. Kryten, BTL, TFTM, Stasis Leak and Queeg together are such a perfect run of episodes. The 2 commentary is also my favourite.

Series 5 is the overall pinnacle of Dwarf IMO. The Inquisitor, Terrorform and Back To Reality are so SO good.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

after having a long think iv come to conclusion my fav is series 6 JUST with 3 in a close 2nd ..

Tarka Dal
    Participant

IV.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I

I love you for picking series 1, Marleen.

For me it’s II at the moment, but like with most other people, that alternates with V depending on how I feel.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

TheLeen
    Participant

> I love you for picking series 1, Marleen.

I know :-*

Ridley
    Participant

Although it?s more a case of liking individual episodes scattered throughout the various series, if that makes sense.

Same. But I want to say somewhere around series V, VI and VII.

Carlito
    Participant

I suppose a lot of people have a fondness for whichever series they first watched, during the classic era at least.

For me, it’s V. I stand by it though, even having watched every series probably a hundred times. Also rate II and VI very highly. Least favourite may be VII or possibly IV… it just didn’t click for me, don’t know why.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

* 1. Camille
    * 2. DNA
    * 3. Justice
    * 4. White Hole
    * 5. Dimension Jump
    * 6. Meltdown

I keep looking at that list and trying to understand why I’m the only person who seems to love IV that little bit more. Hand on heart I only see DNA on that list as anything other than a definitive episode.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Meltdown is a bit ropey though, isn’t it?

[Hides]

JamesTC
    Participant

Meltdown is a bit ropey though, isn?t it?

Well they did mention the noose.

I love Series IV but VI slightly out does it, basically Series III-VI are very close.

Carlito
    Participant

I can’t put my finger on why I’m lukewarm towards series IV. It’s just got this… quality… I can’t explain it.

As for DNA, that might actually be my favourite episode of the series. Meltdown and White Hole being my least.

Dave
    Participant

>IX

Are we ready to start calling it this?

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

i liked meltdown not the best but good … elvis should have come back “ARNIE RIMMERS DEATH MACHINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE “

6 is till my fav

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Swings and Roundabouts really. I’ve probably watched Meltdown and White Hole more than anything other episodes. White Hole being one of the episodes I’d always show people when introducing Dwarf. To me it always seemed to be Dwarf in top gear, assured, and rolling off the laughs.

Meltdown. Well it’s traditionally been badly recieved. I’ve never really understood why. Perhaps it’s a bit sillier than your typical Dwarf episode. The jokes are cheap and visual. I can just never tire of hearing titles like ‘Lt. Col Mother Teresa’ and Lister’s speech at the end, over-simplistic and sentimental it may be, had a profound affect as a kid on how I considered war. Although I think I get most of my morals from Dwarf come to think of it.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

not been much mention of 8 ..i didnt think it was a bad series ..just didnt feel like red dwarf .. with the crew being alive .. was ok for 1 series i guess .. never again hopefully

Mnoooah
    Participant

I didn’t think it was the crew that threw VIII off, really. Most of the characters changed significantly so that even a pretty classic type story like Cassandra with only the five of them most of the time didn’t seem quite right.

Carlito
    Participant

I really liked VIII at the time. A fresh new format, back to the bunkmates scenario of the earlier series but with a new twist, and a host of comical sci-fi possibilities by reintroducing the baffled crew to the show.

I think there are two main reasons it went wrong.

1) The characterisation was off: as an example, it makes no sense that Lister and Rimmer would be mischeivous conspiring friends, like a pair of naughty schoolboys as someone put it. And that’s without throwing in the fact that this wasn’t even the same Rimmer that Lister had spent years alone with… it wasn’t a Rimmer he may have formed a slight bond of mutual respect with, a begrudging ally, someone he had come to regard as someone he’d met… this was SUPPOSED to be original, snidey piece-of-shit involuntary bunkmate Rimmer… a Rimmer who just wasn’t acting the way that Rimmer was supposed to. He was far too… likeable. Which, to me, made the character unlikeable for the first time. Holly barely got a look in, and even Hollister had transmogrified ;) from a leadership figure of respect to a bumbling oafish figure of ridicule who was revealed to really just be “the doughbut boy” on a blag (what’s a fucking “doughnut boy” anyway?). Shitting on your own legacy and turning your own show canon into a joke is a big no-no. Makes you, as a fan, feel foolish for buying into it the first time round.

2) For an 8 episode series, we only got 5 stories. The first story, three episodes no less, was all plot development and not much of a self-contained story… it took three episodes to introduce the new scenario we would experience during series VIII. But this scenario only lasted for a further 4 stories.

Two of these (Cassandra and Krytie TV) were enjoyable RD episodes that I would hold up to many episodes of Dwarf from the ‘classic’ years.

Pete… as for Pete… I wish they’d just called the first episode “Captain’s Office” as planned (which I shall call it from this point), and the second simply “Pete”, because then they wouldn’t be grouped together in my mind. I think “Pete” and I groan at the image of these two episodes combined, but in truth Captain’s Office was a fun episode (although the characterisation was askew) but Pete (as in, Pt. 2) was a “seen-it-all-before and it was much funnier the first three times” episode. I think Captain’s Office suffers from guilt by association.

Only the Good was an attempt to do something they had pretty much already exhausted much more subtley before (Parallel Universe is the first example that comes to mind), and the cliffhanger ending cheapens it rather than enhances it (a la Out of Time).

I didn’t mean this post to turn into a mini-critique of Series VIII but I think a lot of the bad will towards VIII comes really from the bitter disappointment of being denied more triumphs like Cassandra and Krytie TV using the new prison/Canaries format, and being offered episodes like Pete which may have been better had we not already been down that road once already with the crew. Cassandra shows that the series VIII format could really work; we’re pissed off that we didn’t get enough of a chance to see it in full effect.

That’s my take.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

have to agree with everything said there the fact that 8 episodes only gave us 5 stories always really bugged me .. and the fact that 80% of the 1st 3 episodes are a dream or a computer simulation puts a dampner on it for me aswell then u have cassandra ( great eppisode ) krytie tv ( also very good ) pete 1 and 2 ( meh) and a wierd shambles of ” its the last episode of the series and we dont know what to do ” mess .. and as for rimmer and other characters not behaving as they should .. only just thought of that really and completely agree …wonder which rimmer it will be in the specials gotta be goalpost head PLEASE

Carlito
    Participant

Not only were there just 5 stories but not much in the way of anything new or imaginitive.

Back in the Red went down the AR simulation route already explored in Back to Reality, Better Than Life, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Beyond A Joke (maybe others too, can’t think right now). And the “turns out they’re still in AR” twist was more-or-less also recycled from two of those episodes.

Pete went back to the “monster of the week” format seen in Polymorph, DNA, Polymorph II, Terrorform and all kinds of others but with no inventiveness behind it. Just a contrived “time wand” to create this latest threat. It was a misfire.

Only The Good, as mentioned, retreaded old ground from Parallel Universe, Timeslides, Ouroboros and others.

Of the 8 episodes of series VIII, only Cassandra and Krytie TV actually explored new ideas and I think that’s why they are considered (at least by me anyway) as the two best of the series.

Carlito
    Participant

I read an interview with Doug Naylor from around 1998 in which he said that it was going to be his final series before handing the reigns over to a team of writers for subsequent series anyway so as far as retreading old ground/characterisation goes maybe he let somebody else loose on the scripts, especially the co-penned ones, and didn’t exhibit as much control over it as he should have.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Agreed on most points, although I would argue that complete novelty is not necessary, or indeed present in either Cassandra or Krytie. Cassandra is about trying to second guess and manipulate the future. Krytie is about reliable old Kryten acting up, same again. The reason I like both those episodes is because they use the characters well.

Rimmer is not only most like himself in Cassandra, but the teeny bit of development he does is entirely in keeping. Lister is back to properly pining for Kochanski in Krytie. Hopeless Romantic was the main balance for his reckless blokeyness, it was what made him really sympathetic. Series 7 and most of 8 didn’t give him much of anything to be idealistic or romantic about so he wasn’t as interesting.

my two cents, anyway.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

i dont mind them going over old ground in terms of parralel or mirror universes ( because theres an awefull lot u can do ) just the ar stuff gets on my nerves thats just my personal opinion and devoting the last 10 muinits of the last episode of red dwarf ..so far to 1 character ,whats all that about

ChrisM
    Participant

I recently watched 8 again. And… largely I enjoyed it.

Back in the Red was way too long though. It had plenty of good stuff in it, but it dragged a lot. I think they should have just gone with the 2 parter at most rather than 3.

In the past I’ve found Pete irritating with the running jokes etc, yet this time I didn’t. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen the scenes so often. Watching it for the first time makes it drag less. Cassandra, in particular was a brilliant well crafted episode. I’ve seen it criticized for being so similar to Future Echoes, which I think is unfair. Sure, it has similar themes, but it still totally works in it’s own right. And Krytie TV was very funny.

The characterization was off: as an example, it makes no sense that Lister and Rimmer would be mischievous conspiring friends, like a pair of naughty schoolboys as someone put it.

I wondered about that myself, but considering the circumstances, I find it believable. They’re not really friends, but they ARE both in jail facing a common enemy. The camaraderie totally makes sense.

Carlito
    Participant

They couldn’t stand each other when they just shared a room… being stuck together 24/7 with no means of escape would drive them to the brink. When I heard they would be imprisoned together for series 8 I thought ‘great, they’re going to be more contentious and backstabbing than ever, this will be the perfect Rimmer/Lister series, back to the relationship of the early years’. Instead they became pals, and Chris Barrie seemed to have forgotten how to play Rimmer, with all the silly voices and stupid faces… there’s no WAY the Rimmer of old would disrespect Hollister in that way as well… Rimmer had a blind respect for authority whether he liked the person or not, that was the basis for Lister sitting the chef’s exam in Balance of Power was it not? To become Rimmer’s senior so Rimmer would listen to him.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

question is there a years gap between pete 2 and only the good .. seing as hollister says hes going in the hole for a year at the end of pete part 2 ..

Mnoooah
    Participant

>there?s no WAY the Rimmer of old would disrespect Hollister in that way as well? Rimmer had a blind respect for authority whether he liked the person or not, that was the basis for Lister sitting the chef?s exam in Balance of Power was it not? To become Rimmer?s senior so Rimmer would listen to him.

Yes and No. It was stated that he had a blind *deference* to authority, but respect? No way. Remember he yelled after Todhunter that his career was finished, etc, in the first episode and the whole scene with Captain Paxo sometime later (or before, technically). Remove the possibility that brown nosing would get him anywhere, like, say, a conviction, and he reverts to utter hatred.

Carlito
    Participant

Todhunter was the very first episode, before Rimmer’s character became more defined (wasn’t that script written several years prior to the rest of the series?) and he thought “Captain Paxo” was an hallucination.

ChrisM
    Participant

Todhunter was the very first episode, before Rimmer?s character became more defined (wasn?t that script written several years prior to the rest of the series?) and he thought ?Captain Paxo? was an hallucination.

He showed disrespect before then. Check out the backflash sequence at the start of Stasis Leak “With all due respect sir you’ve got your head firmly up your big fat arse.” (or words to that extent.)

And then there was talk between Lister and Rimmer of sticking pencils up his nose etc (although that seemed to be an exaggeration too far.)

And as I said, Rimmer and Lister weren’t really friends in Series 8. When they were alone together there was bickering (not as much as usual, granted.) And Rimmer was still willing to sell Lister out if he would benefit as a result.

JamesTC
    Participant

As seperate episodes ‘Back in the Red’ is not too good (by Red Dwarf standards) but the versions on the DVD which splice the story together with re-orded scenes and deleted scenes added make it much more enjoyable, sort of like a Red Dwarf Movie (who would have thought of it).
    ‘Cassandra’ was probably the smartest episode of Series VII and VIII and alot of the comedy is drawn from that which improves the episode greatly. The ending is very good too.
    ‘Krytie TV’ is my favourite of Series VIII, I guess I just love Kryten too much. I like Lister and Rimmer being sort of friends here because they have been in that prison for atleast a few months by this time (isn’t it established as a year in ‘Pete’?) so they must have learned to live with one another but I must say Robert steals the show as the rogue Kryten.
    ‘Pete’ is really more of two episodes. Part 1 is fantastic, I loved almost everything in it, the basket ball game worked quite well actually, jokes like Kryten getting the ball and cleaning it are just brilliant. The Time Wand stuff was a bit of a hit and miss, things like the man talking and stopping was terrible but the stuff with Cat and Kochanski ecoming younger with different clothes was very funny and it is followed with probably my favourite joke of the series, Kochanski says “How will we get this back on board” and Kryten replies “Don’t worry I have an excellent place to conceal it” and in the next scene he has that raised head, I don’t remember watching much of Red Dwarf VIII when it was on, I remember being really happy while watching BITR1 and that scene. Part 2 has a dinosaur.
    ‘Only the Good’ was a good episode but I was never happy with how it ended the series, I won’t have to worry about that now!

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

>have been in that prison for atleast a few months by this time (isn?t it established as a year in ?Pete??)

well as i said before at end of pete prt 2 hollister says hes goin in the hole for a year .. then next episode rimmers on probation so im guessing there is a year between pete part 2 and only the good ?? or have i missed soemthing

ChrisM
    Participant

well as i said before at end of pete prt 2 hollister says hes goin in the hole for a year .. then next episode rimmers on probation so im guessing there is a year between pete part 2 and only the good ?? or have i missed soemthing

I wondered about that too. I doubt Hollister went through with it though. He was feeling ‘rather emotional’ at the time to say the least, and it was a sarcastic parting gag (in my mind.) Even if he did go in the Hole to get away from it all, I imagine the sleeping facilities and lack of buns probably changed his mind pretty sharpish.

I agree that a lot more time has probably past on the ship between (and even within) episodes than we’re privy to.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

A close tie between V and VII.

locusceruleus
    Participant

5, definitely. Some of the best storylines, and by far the most consistent series in my book.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I remember buying V on DVD. I’d bought Little Britain Series 1 at the same time (the good series, before they really started milking the catchphrase cow, although I can’t watch it now). I kept reading and re-reqading the episode listing and I thought, “I don’t really like any of these episodes. Well, except for ‘Back To Reality’.”

Then I watched the series, and I love it. I used it to test the DVD-ROM drive on my PC after I’d cracked the region encoding (on the drive, I mean, not the disc).

Viewing 53 posts - 1 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.