Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Better than Life by 2033?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Somebody
    Participant
    mick
    Participant

I thought this was going to be some gag about when the next fanclub magazine will be out.

Very cool stuff indeed, I remember in the early 90’s when everyone was going nuts over ‘virtual reality’ and it all kind of fizzled out, did anyone ever use those VR machines in arcades around 1992-93?

SEGA attempted to pioneer home VR with helmet and sensors for the Megadrive which I dont think made public release, and the VR goggles, gloves and sensors for the SEGA Saturn which were dropped because by 1997 everyone had lost interest in both VR and the Saturn.

VR has been with us for a loooong time, and the main issue with VR for games has always been the cost of equipment, so a cheap implant directly interfacing with the brain and nervous system seems the way to go.

TheLeen
    Participant

Bloody hope so, I’ve been waiting all my life

pfm
    Participant

VR as a workable option is still light years away. Although home 3D entertainment is a lot closer, especially now that with more and more filmmakers adopting 3D there’s more motive to develop it. You will eventually be able to watch something like Beowulf in 3D at home as opposed to only being able to see it in IMAX 3D.

3D gaming could also be around in as little as 5 years. Nintendo and Sony have allegedly been testing it out behind closed doors. It is possible to provide it now but they need to develop an affordable option. The PS3 is already expensive as it is.

mick
    Participant

Home 3D entertainment has been with for a while with some excellent 3D laserdisc releases, it’s just a shame that 3D releases seem to have died along with the format.
    If you can track down the uber rare Jurrasic Park 3D laserdisc it will both scare the shit out of you and serve as a real proof of concept as far as 3D in the home is concerned.

Indeed 3D gaming has been with us since 1989 when Sega introduced the 3D visor and special games for the Master System, as well as incorporating what were at the time state of the art 3D glasses the visor also had shutters for each eye piece that opened and closed rapidly and indipendently giving a much deeper 3D experience.

Steve Harris
    Participant

I can vaguely recall some rather poor attempts at 3D way back and seem to remember the Radio Times giving out free glasses for some event, possibly in the 70’s! all in all though I have been less than impressed.

What came as a surprise to me though was the Birmingham pantomime ‘Aladdin’ with John Barrowman. I had no idea that a stage show could use these effects let alone make me jump out of my seat and duck several times. It was extremely clever and marred only slightly by the cast telling us when to put the glasses on.

I’ve no idea if this is new to stage shows or not but could well see the potential for its use at things like pop concerts and musicals. Surely if this can be applied to a live show, building a game in 3D for the home must be do-able.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I can vaguely recall some rather poor attempts at 3D way back and seem to remember the Radio Times giving out free glasses for some event, possibly in the 70?s! all in all though I have been less than impressed.

Wasn’t that awful Doctor Who special for Children in Need partially in 3D?

James
    Participant

Night of the Living Dead 2006 in 3D. Please, shot me in the head!

Dave
    Participant

Indeed it was.

Relive the pain in glorious 2-D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yRtO8XtOyc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NetKc-7Owgg

Actually I don’t think it’s as bad as most Who fans seem to.

Paul Muller
    Participant

No, it’s worse.

Dave
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, Talons of Weng Chiang it ain’t, but it’s a nice little runaround with a pointless cliffhanger in the middle. And an interestingly innovative approach to the multi-Doctor story.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.