Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Blake’s 7 is coming back!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant
    Rad
    Participant

Sounds pretty cool. I would rather the BBC were doing it, I was a bit disappointed by ‘Hogfather’ in 2006.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Hmmm. I’ll have more faith in Sky’s ability to get round to actually doing their remakes when they finally start shooting The Prisoner

Phil
    Participant

The way you reacted to the news that they wanted to remake The Prisoner would lead me to believe you’d be GLAD they haven’t gotten around to it!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, I don’t particularly want a new Prisoner (although one of our clients is writing it) – but my point is, look how long it’s taken Sky to still-not-yet get it in production.

Who was announced in September 2003, and on screens in March 2005. The Prisoner was announced in late 2005 (post-Who 1, basically) and has still yet to materialise – it’s been variously promised as “Spring 2007” and January 2008. And, in fact, looking at Wiki, Sky have now pulled out. So, yeah. Track record on “remakes not happening in the end”, there ;-)

Phil
    Participant

>but my point is, look how long it?s taken Sky to still-not-yet get it in production.

Ah, gotcha. I think I was just very much thrown by the fact that your earlier post didn’t end in a “thank fuck.”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I don’t think we need a remake of The Prisoner (it’s so bizarre that it’s not exactly dated).

Kudos to Sky for bringing back Gladiators though. I’m sure they’ll mess it up, mind.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I can’t believe there’s no common factor (other than the events themselves and John Anderson) between the old and new Gladiators. Surely they could have got a couple of the old Glads back as ‘coaches’, or something? Jet being the leader of the female Gladiators, Wolf being the leader of the male ones?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Apparently they’re trying to lure back some of the old Gladiators for some specials once the series has finished in the autumn. Wolf is apparently in New Zealand, while I don’t think Jet’s been seen since she presented that Millennium barn dance at Yeovil Aerodrome.

(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6YYLhpmDg)

I’ll be interested in seeing how much of the show remains (music, presentation, John Sachs?). If it doesn’t float my boat, there’s always Challenge and Virgin 1 (who, curiously, both seem to schedule repeats of the 90 version at the same time).

Andrew
    Participant

They’re shooting this at Shepperton right now. I’ve never SEEN so many foam fingers go past the window!

Dave
    Participant

I hope a new Blake’s 7 is sequel, not a re-imagining. Why invite direct comparison if you don’t have to?

John Hoare
    Participant

I?ve never SEEN so many foam fingers go past the window!

!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Jet being the leader of the female Gladiators

Jet doing anything would be nice. FYI, this is how Jet looks now (well, two years ago) :

John Hoare
    Participant

YES PLEASE.

Dave
    Participant

Jet to play Jenna?

ChrisM
    Participant

I was thinking the previous gladiators were too old to reprise their roles… and with the new line-up I’m probably right. (I don’t get sky so I can’t completely confirm.)

Is that really Jet from just 2 years ago. She really does look amazing though.

As for Blake 7, it’s weird that this thread and news came up, because I’ve been munching my way through series 1 right now. I was never really into it as a kid, and had only seen the odd episode here and there. From the first 3 episodes I’ve seen so far though, it’s really good. (The effects are understandably dodgy but the story is rather good. Better than the original Star Trek.)

I’m not keen on them remaking it (another weird thing, I was wondering if they might…) A continuance could be interesting….

—-spoiler—-

although concerning the ending, I’m not sure that’s possible. Yes even I got the ending spoiled (my fault for watching that ‘Cult of Blake 7’ a while back.)

ChrisM
    Participant

Oh, I came across this link, posted on the 2000 AD forum:

Looks like it might be a sequel after all if it follows this plot.

If that’s the case, then good one!

Dave
    Participant

SPOILER-RIDDEN B7 CONTINUITY NAVEL GAZING FOLLOWS

It’d be easy another rebellion, inspired by the first. If Paul Darrow’s in it (which is unlikely) a version of The Way Back from Avon’s perspective.

In fact Avon, Servalan, Orac (though sadly not Peter Tuddenham), Blake’s clone from Weapon and possibly Jenna are all still alive and even Cally could come back as a telepathic projection like in Shadow. It’s unlikely the new show would want to draw too many comparisons with the original, but a new rebellion against the Terran Federation is entirely possible.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Re: The Prisoner,

I looked up on this today. The project has been abandoned by Sky, as they thought that it was in danger of becoming too ‘Americanised.’

ITV have picked up the idea and are currently filming in Libya with American actor Jim Caviazel. But apparently it’s going to be very British. Mmmm.

Can you really re-make classic television well?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Depends, really. BSG was brilliantly done, for instance – it took a rather pants idea from a rather awful old scifi series and turned it into something irrefutably genius.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Fair point, there. BSG is a worthy remake. But The Prisoner was such a classic, I don’t know if you could do it as well. It was so much Patrick MacGoohan’s baby. Likewise, the attempts at re-launching the Twilight Zone have all failed because the original series was Rod Serling’s own vision.

pfm
    Participant

Didn’t The Prisoner remake hit a rough patch because all of a sudden someone else wanted to do a film version? Whatever, I would be happier about Blake’s 7 if it was a joint production with Sky and another network.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.