Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Bobby & Doug Q&A

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Abootman
    Participant

From 2pm Saturday. Looking forward to finding out whether they will be blasting a curry into space to celebrate the new show.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

“Calling all @reddwarfhq fans! Got something you want to ask the creator and a star about new feature-length episode The Promised Land? Reply to this tweet using #MCMOnlineRedDwarf, and @DougRDNaylor and @bobbyllew will answer!”

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Some responses of note from this:

-The documentaries will be coming “later in the year” & “It’s not been decided yet”
    -There are no plans for this to be the last show they do and Doug hopes to see more feature length specials.
    – This one is “It’s quite unlike anything we’ve done b4. The two live studio audiences laughed a lot. Posse on top form, great guest stars, space battles, pathos, explosions, 500 plus VFX shots. Wonderful score.”
    – “There are sequences you couldn’t shoot with miniatures though so most is CG but #Axis the company we used with Howard Jones Supervisor have done a truly gob smacking job on our VFX budget”
    – “It’s not RD 13. It’s Red Dwarf The Promised Land. CB is a bit superstitious and didn’t want to call it 13. So we called it RDTPL and as I’m sure you’re aware absolutely nothing has gone wrong since.”
    – Doug says “you never know” to another RD novel in future
    – Holly is back permanently
    – On the topic on the budget for it: “Dave wanted us to make a 90 minute special in a 120 minute slot with a bit more money. They thought it would lead us to making something different to anything we’d made b4. And they’ve turned out to be right.” [The movie that didn’t happen] “had a budget of £20 million. This is something completely new and fresh.” “It’s the same budget as Red Dwarf XII but instead of making 6 x 30 mins we’re making 90 minutes and the rest of the £ makes 3x 45 min docs. As a consequence @RichardDGNaylor figured our we could claim a tax credit for RDTPL so that has helped too.”
    – On a possible commentary for DVD/BR: “I wanted to do one for free ( the DVD budget can afford free)with @RichardDGNaylor and we still might but the idea has gone up in smoke a bit due to CV. We might do one as a podcast”
    – Bobby mask timings: “Definitely a lot more comfortable, and not so hot. Still roughly 2 hours to put on, 1 hour to take off. But massive improvement”

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Thanks, Stephen!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Doug says “you never know” to another RD novel in future

He always says that. What a booktease.

Dax101
    Participant

Rob Grant stands more chance of giving us another Novel before Doug ever gives us another Novel. with Doug writing, directing and producing, you can see where he wants his creativity to go. its the one thats the most filmic.

Hamish
    Participant

I would rather have Rob novels and Doug specials to be honest.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Doug’s full quote was “Well, I’m out of work at the moment so you never know….” so if now’s not a good time to consider it given the current situation then I don’t know when would be.

Dax101
    Participant

What writing a novel? Doug is gonna put his time into getting Dave to fund another special he can direct, write, cater ect ect.

Flap Jack
    Participant

I want Rob to write a series of novels adapting the solo Doug Red Dwarf series, just because I know that they’d both hate it.

NoFro
    Participant

So the documentaries won’t be on the Blu Rays then? Boooooooo.

Thanks for capturing all of this, Mr Abootman.

clem
    Participant

No it’s the commentary that probably won’t be on the DVD/Blu Ray. If the documentaries are broadcast “later in the year” presumably they will be on it and I imagine it’ll be out in time for Christmas.

That’s assuming they hold off on releasing the blu ray. Last few series they have been ready for order when the series finishes airing.

Dave
    Participant

Doesn’t seem to be the case this time though, or I would expect pre-orders to be available by now.

pendo86
    Participant

I’m wondering, and this is purely speculation, if the DVD/Blu-ray release will be delayed. Most online retailers are now operating at less than full capacity, many like Amazon only distributing essentials. All high street retailers are closed except for supermarkets. Surely releasing it whilst this is all going on will have a huge impact on sales? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think it would make sense to push it back to Xmas time and hopefully give them time to record that audio commentary. 🤞🏻 But as I say, it’s all speculation, I have no idea when the original release date is planned.

Dave
    Participant

Well first we need to find out what date was planned so we can work out if it’s been delayed.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I think they should never repeat it, wait 2 years to release it, and then spread it over 2 VHS releases for £12.99 each. And sell it in Woolworths, so I can get some Pick ‘n’ Mix at the same time.

Katydid
    Participant

No it’s the commentary that probably won’t be on the DVD/Blu Ray. If the documentaries are broadcast “later in the year” presumably they will be on it and I imagine it’ll be out in time for Christmas.

Considering the title of the special leaked through a DVD pre-order page, I highly doubt we’ll be waiting long for the physical release.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I think they should never repeat it, wait 2 years to release it, and then spread it over 2 VHS releases for £12.99 each. And sell it in Woolworths, so I can get some Pick ‘n’ Mix at the same time.

Not strictly speaking super-relevant, but this reminds me of a conversation I had with someone here in the US about how they won’t watch Doctor Who on DVD or on BBC America because the only “real” way to watch it is using a set of rabbit ears to pick up a signal from the PBS station the next state over, watching it through a baffling haze of swirling static.

As someone who grew up watching the classic series on UK Gold and VHS, it’s wild to me that there’s this entirely different, largely culturally-specific means of watching the show, let alone that it’s considered by at least one human-shaped person to be the only “authentic” way of watching.

Anyway, I bought Red Dwarf III on DVD from GAME back when they sold DVDs, so what do I know?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.