Borderline Interesting Me² Edit Goof That You May Have Noticed But I Never Have

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Borderline Interesting Me² Edit Goof That You May Have Noticed But I Never Have

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  si 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Pete Part Three

So I’ve reached Me² in my Red Dwarf rewatch, and something caught my eye when I was watching the scene when Lister visits the two Rimmers. When we cut to a close-up of Lister looking at the newspaper clippings, the split-screen with the second Rimmer stays onscreen for a fraction of a second longer, so we get the weird effect below.

At first I thought this was my DVD rip, but it’s present on Netflix too so I guess it’s always been there. It’s corrected for Remastered, either deliberately or as a happy accident of them removing frames. Wonder if it’ll make it to the BD?

It’s about 6.09 seconds in, if you’re interested. I mean you’re probably not, so don’t. Sod you then.

Pete Part Three

Oh, and then the second Rimmer disappears for a second!

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Ha! Went through frame by frame on Premiere, and you’re absolutely right. It’s also made me notice that if you look on the floor in this scene you can tell exactly where the split screen is, as the right-hand Rimmer’s shadow stops short.

Still incredibly fucking impressive for 1988 though.

Also, the skutter is in a different position in the two shots that comprise the split-screen:

International Debris

The room in the second Rimmer shot is actually a different shape, by about an inch. Fascinating.

Plastic Percy

I never noticed, as I was more concerned by the fact that the placement of the window in the room doesn’t make sense as it would be facing into a corridor, as we see Lister walk around the other side of it when moving Rimmer’s luggage to get into the room.

Flap Jack

Clearly Holly was struggling to maintain 2 Rimmer holograms at once. :D

Really good spot. I never would have caught that.

Ben Saunders

I noticed that a couple of months ago and went frame by frame in VLC to rewatch it happening over and over again, but I never took any pictures and didn’t tell anyone about it. Honest.

Ben Saunders

A lot of the spilt lines are really obvious now thanks to the quality of DVD, you never noticed them on blurry old VHS. I wonder if the Blu-Ray will make them even more noticeable or if they’ll go to any lengths to smooth them out. What was it like on Remastered?

Jawscvmcdia

>What was it like on Remastered?

No, Pete said in his first post “It’s corrected for Remastered, either deliberately or as a happy accident of them removing frames.”

Ben Saunders

I meant what were the split lines like on Remastered

Jawscvmcdia

>I meant what were the split lines like on Remastered

I don’t recall them being any different, although I believe the grading helped hide them somewhat.

si

Ha. The pic in Ian’s post looks a bit like Rimmer 2’s turning into a Skutter and back.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.