Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Buy The Independent on Friday

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

There’s going to be a piece about the return of Red Dwarf in the Arts and Books supplement, and they’ve got some incredibly talented and handsome interviewees…

hummingbird
    Participant

> and they?ve got some incredibly talented and handsome interviewees?

can’t be anyone we know then ;D

Ridley
    Participant

Oxymoron.

pfm
    Participant

I can’t wait to see what wrong information there is.

Dave
    Participant

Is it Gloria Hunniford?

Phil
    Participant

Is it performingmonkey?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m looking forward to reading the article, but if they reference the website as “Gannymede and Titan”, i’m going to break their legs.

Dave
    Participant

>i?m going to break their legs.

To bring them luck

Ridley
    Participant

So will this be in the downloads at some point?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I hope so

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I?m looking forward to reading the article, but if they reference the website as ?Gannymede and Titan?, i?m going to break their legs.

We’ll have to change the banner again…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> So will this be in the downloads at some point?

I imagine so, but someone else will have to do the scanning…

Phil
    Participant

That’s what you said when I asked if I could have a picture of your balls. :-(

Mr Flibble
    Participant

So, if we all buy this tomorrow, we’ll double their circulation!

Rad
    Participant

:) Yeah, too true. Switched from the Indy to the Guardian this year myself.

Nice to see the specials finally getting some press coverage.

Jo
    Participant

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/return-of-the-red-dwarf-space-cats-971254.html

G&T gets a mention, but it seems you were edited out of the final article Mizza Symes :o(

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Smegging hell, we’re back!

First line of the article…and he goes and blows it like a biggun.

>”It’s got a lot of poo gags in it, which are always popular…”

And thank you, Robert.

thomasaevans
    Participant

Just bought my copy at the University of Warwick ‘Costcutter’ for 30p AND had a free bottle of ‘The Feel Good Drinks Co. Pineapple & Lime) juice drink! WOOP!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

G&T gets a mention, but it seems you were edited out of the final article Mizza Symes :o(

He paraphrased a couple of things I said, but I’m happy overall thanks to the G&T plug.

Phil
    Participant

>First line of the article?and he goes and blows it like a biggun.

Did you not read the headline, Pete? It was blown even before that.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Fandom always reaches a stage where it’s hard to read a regular journo pass comment on your chosen subject without immediately spotting all the ignorance and cock-ups. Still it’s a good bit of plugging both for Dwarf and a bit for G&T. I imagine we’ll see a lot more in the next couple of months.

Rad
    Participant

Not only has the Independent got shit since I switched to The Guardian, it’s also gone up to ?1. The article wasn’t very good but it’s nice to see the specials getting coverage.

pfm
    Participant

I think the article’s great considering how utterly awful it COULD have been. Various parts could be quoted and screamed at but that would be a pointless exercise, we all have eyes (I assume… sorry if you don’t (hey, it’s a possibility)). The guy obviously knows the show to some degree. It’s interesting how Hattie is listed as in the cast with the four core Dwarfers. I would definitely be in favour of that being the cast lineup for the specials, though I wouldn’t be against Kochanski being in it either. I just can’t help but think of bitterness when Norman’s name crops up. If he wasn’t onboard it would be fine by me.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Oh I meant to mention that. I agree with ‘Monkey with regards Holly. To see Hattie back would at least, on screen, be a return to my own personal ‘golden era’ of Dwarf (Series 4-5). On purely sentimental grounds Hattie has always come across at DJ as such a great, friendly, positive person. Whereas Norm has increasingly become a bitter sod. Perhaps he has good reason, who knows? Either way It would be great to see Hattie gain some reward for her dedication and return. Although storywise, if they follow on from Series 8, I’m not sure how on earth they could make it work.

pfm
    Participant

Regarding the story, ANYTHING is possible. Doug doesn’t have to adhere to anything that’s come before now if he doesn’t want to. The situation could be similar to series V with no explanation for why that is. Or they could be back on the ‘bug (I think the most likely scenario. It would probably make it easier for the production.) and on the run from a crew of evil mechanoids. Rimmer could be the original Rimmer or the VIII incarnation, or it could just be left open (again, a good option would be not to get bogged down in stuff like this, just get on with the story).

If I was writing it (…) I would open with long character dialogue scenes reminiscent of stuff like Kryten or Backwards, the Wilma Flintstone conversation, that sort of thing, rather than something action-based. I do like the VIII cell scenes, even if the humour in them is somewhat debatable. The dot-to-dot gag… I don’t know why but it confuses me, technically it’s funny but I just don’t want to laugh at it. Though I honestly WOULD be happy with that level of writing in the new special. Things could be a lot worse than those kind of gags.

Joey TORDFC
    Participant

>I imagine so, but someone else will have to do the scanning?

Not unless G&T fancies a call from the NLA and a demand for ?20,000. True.

TheLeen
    Participant

> Although storywise, if they follow on from Series 8, I?m not sure how on earth they could make it work.

How on Earth did Holly’s first sex-change work? There wasn’t even a story there…

ChrisM
    Participant

> Although storywise, if they follow on from Series 8, I?m not sure how on earth they could make it work.

How on Earth did Holly?s first sex-change work? There wasn?t even a story there?

The scrolly writing stated he was becoming increasingly erratic. I think he was obsessed with his other universe counterpart Hilly, and decided to ‘become’ her. Sort of. (Bear in mind he/she was insane.)

Considering how nutty Holly was in series 8 I could easily see him doing the same thing again, not much of a stretch.

As for the two Hollys, I think I prefer Norman’s Holly from series 1 and 2, but I think I’m biased simply because that Holly had more material as a character. I certainly don’t dislike Hattie’s Holly though: she did well with the little she was given. I welcome her return. I preferred her Holly to to Norman’s series 7-8 ‘super wacky’ version.

hummingbird
    Participant

There were moments when that article was almost painful to read.

Gah.

Mnoooah
    Participant

I dunno, guys. It’s awkwardly written, but you couldn’t ask for a more positive account. ‘as legion as they are obsessive’? The Independent must get marks for being in the tank for us.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

All the best stuff in that article is Ian’s, though.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That’s true of anything.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.