Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum CITV's 'Old Skool Weekend'

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    clem
    Participant

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62976407&postcount=73

Bollocks I’m at work on the Sunday. There’s also ’30 Years of CITV’ on ITV1, 29 December, 6.30pm

Ridley
    Participant

Ooh.

Reece
    Participant

Well that’s my first weekend of 2013 sorted.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Holy shitballs! That’s amazing!

si
    Participant

Having just finally gotten round to looking at the full schedule…FUCK ME, THAT’S AMAZING.

Mike & Angelo (especially if it’s the original cast), SuperGran, Knightmare, Fraggle Rock, Woof…all staples of my childhood. Kids today might have whole channels for their stuff, but those couple of hours when we got home from school were amazing, really, when you think about it, weren’t they?

Art Attack, Finders Keepers, Fun House? Proper TV. DangerMouse and Count Duckula? Only my two favourite cartoons ever. And as for Button Moon – I once went to see a Button Moon stage show at the Library Theatre, Sheffield, only to get there and discover that it had sold out and we couldn’t get in. I cried all the way home.

I doubt my Sky+ box will be able to cope with all this.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT: Wouldn’t it be great if they had all the old…what’s the word? Not idents, but you know where the presenters used to be? There used to be an animation, which zoomed through the town to the hill where the CITV studio used to be, didn’t there? And while CBBC had Pip/Andy/Andi in the broom cupboard, CITV used to have different celebrities every week. Oh, nostalgia. I’m going to find my Look-Ins…

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

I’m interested to see if they air the UK version of Fraggle Rock (with the Captain and Sprocket in a lighthouse). Oddly enough, I’ve only really seen the American versions of the show (with Doc and Sprocket in the workshop) and when the show was last broadcast here two years ago on a kids channel, they also aired the American versions. Plus the itunes downloads and I also believe the Region 2 DVDs are the American versions, too.

Lexo Ross
    Participant

I remember having a dream similar to this a couple of years ago, who would’ve thought this would become a reality in a way?

BTW is it a permanent fixture, will every weekend be an “Old Skool” one, or is it just this weekend?

Alex
    Participant

My immediate thoughts are, ‘screw everything else there, THEY”RE SHOWING SOOTY FROM 1985 AND AN EPISODE OF SOOTY & CO!’

I fucking love Sooty.

Lexo Ross
    Participant

Hey, ho, it’s Sooty and Co! Jesus Christ, I wish I was 3 again so so much.

Ridley
    Participant

AN EPISODE OF SOOTY & CO!

Hope it’s the From the New World/Hovis tune episode. Although I’ve just found it on YouTube so something Sweep heavy instead would be nice.

Can’t get enough of Neil Innes, so I’m looking forward to the Raggy Dolls the most (at the moment).

clem
    Participant

And Puddle Lane, surely?

I had no idea it existed. Looking it up now and YES.

clem
    Participant

Got the Sunday off work!

> Mike & Angelo (especially if it’s the original cast)

IIRC there was a scene in which original Angelo basically regenerated into new Angelo.
    I hope it’s an Eric episode of Woof. I’d rather see a later T-Bag though, as I got the first three series DVDs, and I don’t think there are currently any plans to release more, unfortunately.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> Can’t get enough of Neil Innes, so I’m looking forward to the Raggy Dolls the most (at the moment).

I love you genericnerdyusername!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m interested to see if they air the UK version of Fraggle Rock (with the Captain and Sprocket in a lighthouse). Oddly enough, I’ve only really seen the American versions of the show (with Doc and Sprocket in the workshop) and when the show was last broadcast here two years ago on a kids channel, they also aired the American versions.

Apparently the majority of the UK links to Fraggle Rock have been either deleted or lost entirely… I remember there was an appeal a while back for anyone who had any copies to come forward and donate them…

>I love you genericnerdyusername!

I love you too, HelloMabel!

I got the back catalogue of Neil Innes’ available works off iTunes and I’ve started mixing various tracks up with Viv Stanshall’s solo work and I pretend to myself that these playlists are new Bonzo albums. Good time well spent, imo.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I was more of a CBBC kind of guy, but I did like me a bit of Sooty.

takerdemon
    Participant

Fuck it, I’m getting the snacks in and not got out that weekend.

Knightmare!!!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Man, just by mentioning this on Twitter today I’ve had a fuckton of retweets and mentions. It appears nothing gets the people of this country going quite like nostalgia for old kids TV.

Frankly, I think ITV should pay heed and use this as their weekend schedule for ITV1, instead of just the CITV channel.

si
    Participant

I was talking to someone on Twitter earlier about this, and they suggested a full channel of classic CITV *and* CBBC shows. How good would that be? Shows from between 1977-1997, maybe? Saturday mornings alternating between Going Live/Saturday Superstore/Motormouth/No 73/Ghost Train…oh, the possibilities. Thursday evenings watching Johnny Briggs. Fridays with Round The Bend. Sunday mornings with Parallel 9, The 8:15 From Manchester or On The Waterfront.
    Oh, it’d be marvellous.

Somebody
    Participant

Apparently the majority of the UK links to Fraggle Rock have been either deleted or lost entirely… I remember there was an appeal a while back for anyone who had any copies to come forward and donate them…

Isn’t it all something to do with TVS losing their ITV licence/going bust, and most of the stuff in their archive falling into uncertain ownership, meaning it’s in no-one’s interest enough to go through and catalogue it all?

But yeah, the result is that only the twelve (?) episodes that were released on VHS have accessible masters…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I bought the DVD set with those twelve episodes for my girlfriend at the time.

That is all.

thomasaevans
    Participant

For me… it’s all about Spatz. The ONE show that NEVER get’s repeated, has NEVER been released on any format… it’s the tit’s!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I posted this on Twitter and Facebook, but you can watch every episode of Round The Bend from Tony Husband’s website.

http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbs1e1.html

si
    Participant

I do like Tony Husband’s site. I like listening to the Oink! flexidisc I cherished so much when I was seven.

http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/oinkmusic.html

Lexo Ross
    Participant

Well, it starts tomorrow. We all pumped?

si
    Participant

Have set the Sky+ for the *really* special shows, but have been and bought some blank DVDs from the poundshop specially. Recording the whole weekend over four discs. Can’t resist.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Working from 9am til midnight today. I hope the channel goes down all day.

si
    Participant

I’m recording the whole weekend. Watched Mike & Angelo – ot quit as good as I remember it, though itvwas nice to see the original cast. Enjoyed Super Gran, then turned the telly off til Duckula, which was gteat. Watched Art Attack, then changed my disc to record the rest of the afternoon’s stuff. Rrally looking forward to Woof! episode one.

Michael Warren
    Participant

The following shows need to be brought back:

Finders Keepers
    Fun House
    Knightmare

clem
    Participant

I’m sure Mike & Angelo got better. Tomorrow’s episode is from 1996.

mick
    Participant

It’s worrying how much of it I already had on Tape or DVD.

My 5 year old absolutely LOVED Finders Keepers.

takerdemon
    Participant

Things I learned from this weekend:

– Neil Buchanan liked slapping kids on the head
    – Pat Sharpe is a really bad commedian
    – An answerphone is an acceptable and apparently desirable prize for kids on Fun House
    – The red twin on Fun House was the ugly one
    – Woof really wasn’t that great
    – Knightmare ruled!!!

MANI506
    Participant

Duckula was just as good, if not better, than I remembered. Great music and artwork throughout as well. Seriously considering the box set – there are twenty five 5 star reviews on Amazon!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Managed to see a couple of bits of this, barely any though. I was mostly struck by How 2 having an email address on screen along with the infoburst, and that Knightmare is even more impressive to me now than it was as a child. Fantastic television.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I saw a few things on Saturday : Woof!, The Tomorrow People (both a bit slow), Art Attack (holds up fine) and Press Gang – which I’d never really watched and still didn’t take to) but didn’t really watch anything yesterday. The schedule did seem a bit samey, mind.

I missed How2, Sooty and Knightmare which was a bit of a nuisance. Funhouse always seems to pop up on Challenge so didn’t have a huge incentive to watch that, despite its awesomeness.

A nice idea though. Now, if CBBC could do the same thing…

Alex
    Participant
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Observations:

I thought Fun House held up remarkably well. Although it was clearly on its last legs by the time of the later ep they showed on Sunday – the prize budget had gone south, whereas the previous day it was a genuinely exciting batch of stuff.

It appears that in the ’90s Gladiators would appear on anything and everything.

Spatz, predictably, doesn’t live up to memories but had flashes – notably a v. strong Nicholas Parsons guest appearance.

Harry Potter owes The Worst Witch a huge debt. As do the rest of us, because it gave us Felicity Jones.

Neil Buchanan is still great.

The first series of Mike and Angelo was shocking. Conversely the first ep of Sooty and Co was pretty darned good.

A new series of Knightmare would be HUGE.

clem
    Participant

> Woof!, The Tomorrow People (both a bit slow)

I suppose those episodes of Woof! that were on were bound to be – the very first, and what was essentially a reboot. Pretty sure some of the Eric era at least was very good indeed.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It seemed an odd way to structure the first episode; we open on him turning back into a human and he spends the rest of the episode discussing with his friend what he should do if it happens again. And then it ends, without a further transformation (barring a flashback to the first occurrence).

I don’t remember the series that well, certainly not enough to describe the sort of thing that occurred in the average episode, but I got the impression from the opener that it was 90% talking about dogs and 10% seeing the dog do smart things. It had a lot of charm but I don’t think it was the best way to start show about such an interesting idea. If the transformation had occurred half-way through, I think a solo change would have been fine. But to open on one and spend the next 15 minutes teasing it for future episodes…hmmm.

I had no idea, by the way, that it was scripted by Fegen and Norriss.

si
    Participant

I used to really like Woof! I preferred it when it was Eric and Roy – the cameo by Eric in Rex’s first episode was nice, although the girl’s (I can’t remember her name) last line was a bit cringeworthy.

Oh, and who the fuck calls a kid Rex?!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

> the cameo by Eric in Rex’s first episode was nice

I’m annoyed I missed this over the weekend, as I remember this particular scene from 20 years ago or whenever it was (easily my clearest memory of the whole show).

I love a bit of torch-passing, like when Richard O’Brian left with Mumsie in ETP’s first Crystal Maze.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I had no idea, by the way, that it was scripted by Fegen and Norriss.

Bernard’s Watch and Aquila were Norriss, too, and Fegen still does a lot of kids’ TV stuff these days.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Whatever happened to John’s proposed Woof! fansite?

Carlito
    Participant

> A new series of Knightmare would be HUGE.

They tried that a few years ago. The pilot is on Youtube. It sucks.

takerdemon
    Participant

I have yet to see a negative review of Knightmare from this past weekend’s viewers. In fact, the show they had on I wasn’t sure about (given it was a later series) but the dungeoneer that had was great. That guy could talk. I remember one part where he’s encountering an evil chap with a girl captured in stocks and he simply says “Oh well, can’t I just go away then?” Brilliant TV.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

> A new series of Knightmare would be HUGE.
    They tried that a few years ago. The pilot is on Youtube. It sucks.

“New” =/= “a few years ago”

Tanya Jones
    Participant

That’s not even a fully finished show, is it? In any case, the reason why we don’t currently have Knightmare is the same reason we don’t have a lot of quality kids’ shows; chronic lack of money. And although I don’t think aiming sugar & fat-filled snacks at kids is a brilliant thing, it did bring ITV an awful lot of money in!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I think Knightmare could comfortably sit in a Saturday tea-time slot – extend it to 45/60 mins, have each episode following one self-contained quest from start to finish, and have a story arc across a series of 13. Aim for the Doctor Who audience, but it’s a game show as well.

Carlito
    Participant

Interesting idea, that. I’d watch, as long as it was in the old format and not that CG one they piloted.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Ian, have your people call… who owns Knightmare these days?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Prepare the standard ‘Rich and Famous’ contract for… Hugo Myatt and Company…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Prepare the standard ‘Rich and Famous’ contract for… Hugo Myatt and Company…

si
    Participant

Saw Hugo Myatt’s birthday message on CITV on sunday, and it seemed so odd to see him without the beard.

And in a suit.

takerdemon
    Participant

No beard!?! Then Treguard is indeed dead!

mick
    Participant

Did they broadcast all this in 16:9 by the way? I’m never quite sure as when it comes to aspect ratios my viera does whatever the fuck it wants with them.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

They were all broadcast in the original aspect ratios, so mostly 4:3. If they weren’t, John would have started a billboard campaign by now.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

In my house I watched them in 16:9 purely to annoy John, Ian and Cappsy. Even though they weren’t there at the time, I knew they’d sense it.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, I just zoomed in. I bought a widescreen telly from a supermarket and I want the picture to fill the screen. Everything looks a bit shit, but that’s a small price to pay, yeah?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ever since I saw Seb happily watching an episode of Bullseye in a format that meant the dartboard was oval, I haven’t been able to respect him.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

*twitches*

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Seb is dead to me now.

Interesting (read: tedious) aside: My multi-region DVD player, which I use to watch Doctor Who, Red Dwarf etc., stretches 4:3 video to 16:9 when playing on a widescreen TV. This wouldn’t ordinarily be an issue, but it’s only got HDMI out and most modern TVs don’t allow you to change the aspect ratio when they’re receiving an HDMI signal.

My solution to this was simple: Rip every single 4:3 DVD I own, and then stream the content to my PS3. It was an incredibly annoying process, but after watching “State of Decay” in the prosper aspect ratio today I have to say it was worth it.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

A friend of mine (Gavin, for those who know him) used to pan and scan widescreen shows when he first got Freeview. This meant that thing that were old designed to be seen in 16:9 or 14:9 were all being cropped to 4:3, along with cut off graphics. I couldn’t cope.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My now ex-girlfriend and I had a huge argument the Christmas before last because she wanted to show me “A Christmas Story” and I refused to watch it because the only copy we had was a 4:3 DVD we’d borrowed from our friend Ray. She ended up forcing me to watch it in the end, but needless to say I had the last laugh.

mick
    Participant

My plasma likes to flick everything from my V+HD box into 16:9 regardless of which aspect setting I have it on.
    It drives me batshit insane.

clem
    Participant

Starting this Friday at 10.30pm Challenge are showing the first 2 series of Knightmare!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

The first two series were a bit rubbish though…

si
    Participant

It’s going to be fascinating watching the first ever episode, though, watching how they explain the set up

Incidentally, it’s repeated on saturday morning, too.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwK5H8Ui-E

Something like that I’d imagine.

It’s interesting that one of the team’s invents sidestepping half way through the run. I’ve always wondered if that was down to the kids themselves or whether someone on the production realising it would speed things up a bit.

takerdemon
    Participant

I’ll be sky +ing much of this. Loved Knightmare. I cried with laughter at some of the episodes they showed over the last old school weekend!

clem
    Participant

> The first two series were a bit rubbish though…

The quests were a bit more obviously formulaic in the first three than in later series, with all the wall monsters with their three questions and the designated clue rooms etc., but I prefer them to series 4. I don’t think they got the new format quite right in that series, but they tweaked and pretty much perfected it by series 5, which is great, as is 6. Series 7’s not as good mainly because some of the new characters are a bit rubbish imo. I really like 8 though. Shame it was the last, and so short.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I always thought the sets were a bit drab in the first couple of series and the less said about the CG in 7 the better.

Connell
    Participant

Today is a fucking good day.

Yaron Ru
    Participant

Knightmare! Goodness me, I loved that show. YouTube time!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I have all eight seasons on my hard drive. It’s time to introduce my American friends to the show.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Knightmarathon? Count me in.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

If/when I schedule the thing you’re more than welcome to join us! Do you have my email address?

HelloMabel
    Participant

> If/when I schedule the thing you’re more than welcome to join us!

Excellent!

> Do you have my email address?

No.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

It’s my name with a dot in the middle at gmail.com.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Cheers Ben, we’ll be in touch.

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.