Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Commentaries Commentary

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jimboid
    Participant

So, a fell voice on the air whispers that there may be no commentaries on the RDX DVDs.

Bum and balls, I say. A sentiment that others have voiced elsewhere (though probably with less eloquence).

So I thought it would be a nice thing to have a dedicated place to chat about the commentaries and why it would be so pony / salad if the new series wasn’t afforded a new 3 hour ramble.

Things I like from the previous commentaries:

Chris Barrie’s criticism of the Series 7 episodes he wasn’t in. “This is still a comedy, isn’t it?”

Craig Charles being “busy” during Series 8 commentaries – i.e. off his mash on magic monkey juice.

Norman Lovett repeatedly mistaking a radar dish for a tea bag.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Maybe on a directors cut!

MANI506
    Participant

I’ve been listening to the Rob/Doug and Ed commentaries off of The Bodysnatcher collection. Fascinating! Especially the secret Spitting Image chat.

I’d agree that Barrie watching series 7 go down the shitter after he left is an audio delight. Duct Soup is particularly good for this.

Carlito
    Participant

Where are you hearing that? It would be a massive disappointment not to have cast commentaries on RDX when every other series release has them. To me, they are a big draw for buying the DVD. Not the ONLY reason by any means, but something I would miss massively if it wasn’t there. Having seen every RD episode so many times over the years, often if I feel like a Red Dwarf kick, I do watch them with commentary instead.

If we’re not getting a cast commentary, can we at least hope for a director’s commentary??

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

It’ll be shame if there is no commentaries, I’m sure that G&T ones (fingers crossed) will be just as good, though does seem like Dave/DVD company have dropped major clanger, surely they must know fans love the cast commentaries. would be nice if Dave did their own for episodes, ala BBC ones for Doctor Who series 2-4.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

One of the Happy Tree Friends DVDs has a commentary where they comment on the other commentary. The same people were in both.

JamesTC
    Participant

On one of Ross Noble’s DVDs he does a commentary on the commentary he had just recorded.

si
    Participant

I still like Rob Brydon’s ‘Director’s Commentary’. I know I’m in a minority, but I don’t care.
    Anyway, as you were.

Jimboid
    Participant

I love it too. I didn’t know it was unpopular?

MANI506
    Participant

Naughty old Peter De Lane. Brilliant.

Jimboid
    Participant

“If I could change anything in my life, I probably wouldn’t have sent Cat Deeley those letters. Well, I might have sent the letters. But I certainly would’ve stopped short of the pictures.”

Carlito
    Participant

Robbie Coltrane there. Huge man. Ticking time bomb.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Nathan Cubitt (@NathanCubitt)
    9/2/12 5:19 AM
    3rd festival in 3 weeks… but back to work next week 3 million years in the future…. that’s a lot of 3’s…

doesn’t he direct the Commentaries?

Dave
    Participant

>doesn’t he direct the Commentaries?

No, he writes them.

Alex
    Participant

Since the Series VII DVD, the cast commentaries have been entirely performed by master impressionist Nathan Cubitt in a cost cutting exercise. #dwarffacts

MANI506
    Participant

Just watched Back To Earth with the Doug Naylor commentary – wonderful. I was really hopeful for more Doug commentaries on the RDX DVD. Time will tell but signs aren’t looking good.

JamesTC
    Participant

I’d say Nathan Cubitt going back to work on Red Dwarf is a good sign of a commentary. What other work could he be doing other than the DVD?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Behind the scenes on Red Dwarf XI pre-production?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I think he’s going to go back into the edit to extend the Documentary by a month..

clem
    Participant

> I love it too. I didn’t know it was unpopular?

I think it’s been pretty much forgotten about hasn’t it? Vastly underrated in my opinion. “We’re looking at a shoulder!”
    No commentaries on X would be a big shame. Would people prefer a Doug commentary to a cast one? I’d plump for cast as long as there’s plenty of Doug being interesting about his approach to writing and directing the series on other extras like a Making of documentary.

ChrisM
    Participant

I doubt there will be no commentaries.

I wouldn’t be surprised if not all the cast were on them.

And I’m aware I’ve just written a couple of confusing sentences with double negatives. ;)

si
    Participant

I don’t not want no non-commentaries on this series.

Ridley
    Participant

I don’t know nothing ’bout no commingtaries!

clem
    Participant

We don’t need no stinkin’ commentaries!

pfm
    Participant

They could always record one later, when they’re all available, then post it online…?

Wow, I need a wee.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

How about one with Doug AND the cast? I’ve never really seen them interact.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I know there will be at least a G&T commentary.

I wont be surprised if John Hoare isnt in them.

They will be online somewhere between the broadcast evening and the 12th of February 2032.

si
    Participant

> They will be online somewhere between the broadcast evening and the 12th of February 2032.

That’s a bit optimistic.

Carlito
    Participant

Now, now. G&T have good form, EVERY time brand new Red Dwarf has aired during the sites lifetime, there has been a Dwarfcast review posted on the very same night. So chill, Winston.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Apart from Red Christmas.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Now, now. G&T have good form, EVERY time brand new Red Dwarf has aired during the sites lifetime, there has been a Dwarfcast review posted on the very same night. So chill, Winston.

To be fair, it took us a fucking age to actually do a proper commentary on BtE. And the less said about the lack of a written review of the DVD the better.

Phil
    Participant

>and the less said about the lack of a written review of the DVD the better.

I’d still read it…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The problem is, doing commentaries on a show that’s FRESHLY aired, is kinda difficult to do. it takes a while for you to get your opinions together (well, it does me, anyways) and to collate the information about episodes, things you notice in set, dialogue points and all that. So i reckon at least 4 – 6 months between airing and commentary is fine if not still too quick!

Ridley
    Participant

Will the polls make a return?

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

Will there be Instant Reaction Dwarfcasts on the RDX episodes? I’ve been listening to the ones for BtE and they really are a joy to listen to. I only wish I had listened to them during the weekend the episodes first aired!

I don’t know if Danny has maybe answered my question already but thought I’d ask anyway :o).

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I think that we will still be doing those.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.