Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Craig Charles unlove

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    cheesegirl1986
    Participant

Having been a, ahem, casual fan of Red Dwarf since the early 90s I’ve obviously heard a lot about Craig Charles’ legal problems, but since having become a wee bit more obsessive in the past couple of months I’ve been looking around more Red Dwarf sites and have noticed a distinct lack of love for the bloke in other ways i.e just about his general personality, particularly on this website. Not so much the message board, as I haven’t really looked yet, but from the articles, reviews etc. Always thought he sounded nice and friendly enough, if a bit grating sometimes, so wondered if he’d been rampantly slagging off fans or anything?
    apologies if this is a stupid/frequently asked question

si
    Participant

He’s no Norman Lovett.

I can, of course, only speak for myself, but it seems to me that there was a time a few years ago where he kind of put himself above the fans, conveniently forgetting where he’d got the fame and the wealth from. Then the crack stuff kicked in, and the past few years he’s been a little more humble.

Ian and co will probably give you a much more wordier, well educated essay on this subject.

He’s a Scouser. What other reason do you need?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I prefer Peter Unlove.

I used to find Craig arrogant and disliked his attitude to the fans. But that all changed at DJ in 2006, when he was absolutely lovely in his honest and emotional Q&A session. Since then he’s been nothing but excellent, and his acting in BTE was superb. I now love Craig again.

si
    Participant

Ah, Peter Ndlovu. A wonderful Blade.

cheesegirl1986
    Participant

Ahhh, ok, I more or less expected that kind of reason. I’ve definitely read a few interviews from around the late Nineties where he sounds pretty bloody arrogant I’ve got to admit. And having watched a fair amount of the DVD commentaries/interviews now, there are a few references to fans being anoraks etc, never really took that kind of stuff seriously though.
    I heard the convention in 2006 was the first one he’d been to in years, and in all the Back to Earth behind the scenes stuff he seemed very thoughtful. I suppose the crack business really must have gone a long way towards humbling him, maybe because it made him realise HE’D fucked up, as opposed to the wrongly accused rape case, which no doubt made him feel resentful about all sorts of things.
    Oops, I rambled slightly there with my uneducated psychoanalysis, but thanks for the info anyway, I was just curious about it.

People’s views on Craig vary but it’s often been negative, partly because shit sticks. I had a row with my dad (quite a deluded individual at the best of times…) a few years ago after my sister had met Craig in a club in Manchester, he said ‘oh you want to keep away from him, he’s a bloody rapist!’ or words to that effect.

Jo
    Participant

I can only really echo what Ian said. I used to think he was a bit up himself after various digs and comments he made about RD fans. However since the whole crack thing he seems to have done a lot of growing up and appears to have embraced the RD fans. DJ 2006 was perhaps a turning point, I think he was genuinely touched at the great reception he got.

I’ve only ever spoken to him in person for seconds in autograph sessions and for a few minutes when doing an interview for the first issue of Back to Reality, the fan club mag, but he was very friendly and patient with this first time interviewer!
    I only have good words to say about him :o)

>People?s views on Craig vary but it?s often been negative, partly because shit >sticks. I had a row with my dad (quite a deluded >individual at the best of times?)
    >a few years ago after my sister had met Craig in a club in Manchester, he said ?oh
    >you want to keep away from him, he?s a bloody rapist!? or words to that effect.

… but on the flip side is my Mum (also a big RD fan) who gets quite angry when people say things like that!

Prue
    Participant

I, personally, thought he was fine – didn’t take much notice of the rape thing (got virtually no coverage in Australia anyway, so only read what was sent to me from the UK), but have to say that in some of the early docos on the dvd’s he sounded ‘displeased’ with RD fans.

In the last few, and BTE, he seems to have recovered the faith in fans. Maybe he realized that they would always be there and supported him through all his ups and downs – quite a humbling experience I would think.

Go Craig!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Also he’s been cited as saying that Sci-Fi fans are NOTHING compared to soap-obsessed fans. So we’re the lesser of two evils :)

As part of the Coronation Street cast he is automatically one of the most recognizable faces in the country.

Dave
    Participant

>He?s a Scouser. What other reason do you need?

This is just the sort unsubstantiated rumour that has dogged Craig all these years.

Craig Charles is not now, nor has he ever been a user of Sco.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I think anyone who was at the Q+A session this time will have found a new love for him. There was a slight jokey comment about having a life, but otherwise he was lovely, definitely made the weekend for me. But then you can’t trust my opinion because I had a massive Lister crush during my teenage years..

si
    Participant

>I had a massive Lister crush during my teenage years..

From Digital Spy:

Oct 10, 2009
    Lister: ‘I won’t do lads’ mag shoots’

Oh shucks.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Craig was fantastic. He was also a lot smaller than I thought he would be….Now I’ve never seen him before, but are we sure this wasn’t a mini-clone!

TheLeen
    Participant

Craig was fantastic.

That is all.

Gwynnie
    Participant

He WAS short! I wasn’t that surprised. He has shrunk in many respects.

hummingbird
    Participant

I walked past Jake whatshisname (you know, alternate Lister from Inquisitor) a couple of weeks ago and he was only little, so I wasn’t surprised when I saw Craig.

cheesegirl1986
    Participant

Jake Abrahams I believe his name is, in case anyone who didn’t know was remotely curious. I think he’s a friend of Craig Charles’ and has had drug problems as well, could be mistaken though. I’m so annoyed I’ve never been to a DJ, I really wanted to this year and I’d love the chance to meet Craig, Chris etc. I know plenty of people who like Red Dwarf but no-one who likes it enough to go with me I don’t think, wah :( It sounds like it was a good one too, I’ll have to live vicariously through the report they put on the main website. Pretty tragic.

Petetranterssister
    Participant

Hiya,

I had also heard negative things about Craig Charles so when i got the chance to meet him and Chris Barrie in 2007 i was so excited to meet Chris and didnt really expect much from Craig, how wrong i was!!

Craig was absolutely lovely he spent a full 20 minutes talking to me and he was just how you would expect the guy who played Lister to be like, friendly, funny and witty and i was so pleasantly suprised!! In fact he turned out to be the better of the 2 as i found myself quite disappointed with chris barrie who seemed very quiet and frankly and bit boring. Hope im proved worng next time i meet him!

xx

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think Craig’s Q&A at DJ XV was fantastic. He went out of his way to include the crowd and work the room. Even stopping to speak to the people too shy to stick thier hands in the air!
    What a guy!

Gwynnie
    Participant

And then he played the piano!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

…and then he did a jigsaw.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Did a jigsaw? Like in the Saw movie franchise? He set a fiendishly fatal trap for somebody derserving of being fiendishly and fatally trapped?

Dave
    Participant

Die Screaming With Sharp Things In your Head?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Bizarrely enough, that was a working title for “Saw”.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I believe they now have another 20 scripts for more Saw sequels ready to go.

Carlito
    Participant

Plus one for that long awaited Saw/Final Destination/Scream crossover trilogy.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I Saw What Your Final Destination Was Last Summer.

JamesTC
    Participant

I Saw What Your Final Destination Was Last Of The Summer Wine.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer

Nick R
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason

JamesTC
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space

SkyAndSun
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space 2

Gwynnie
    Participant

I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space 2 OF DOOM

Andrew
    Participant

Indiana Jones and the Case of How I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space 2 OF DOOM

(Oh, and the Saw movies are good. So ner.)

TheLeen
    Participant

The Evil Dead Indiana Jones and the Case of How I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space 2 OF DOOM

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Night of The Evil Dead Indiana Jones and the Case of How I Screamed When I Saw Your Final Destination Was Another Shitty Saw Movie Last Summer versus Jason On A Plane Part 4789 in London in Space 2 OF DOOM

ChrisM
    Participant

>(Oh, and the Saw movies are good. So ner.)

I do agree… but they got a bit too repetitive. To be fair, I haven’t seen beyond 3.

Gwynnie
    Participant

To be fair, I haven’t seen any of them…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

1 was very good. 2 was surprisingly good. 3,4 and 5 are where I start getting muddled up and 6 looks more of the same. It should have ended by now.

Dave
    Participant

When are they going to start calling them Seen?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Back before the first Saw was released I can remember tha there was a huge billboard that I would always pass on my way to work.

One morning I woke up, took my usual route and noticed three giant letters in front of me.

S A W

For a moment my mind stopped dead to ponder what this could mean. My first thought was that someone had made a movie about Stock, Aitken and Waterman. I still haven’t got over the dissapointment when I realised it wasn’t the case.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I love how your mind works.

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.