Danny interview with the Express

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Danny interview with the Express

This topic contains 43 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Stephen Abootman

Don’t know where to post this since it covers Death in Paradise and the AA ad and XIII so will just stick it here.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1148118/Death-in-Paradise-Danny-John-Jules-return-Dwayne-Myers-Red-Dwarf-series-BBC

“Filming on Red Dwarf XIII will be taking place between November and December this year”

RamesesNiblickTheThird

I thought your headline suggested he was being interviewed by a train.

Either way. All aboard the hype train!

Chooo Choooo!

Katydid

That seems way too specific to be nothing.

Bezzy

It’s great to read he’s still massively fond of the Series

quinn_drummer

I had assumed Nov/Dec would be when they record, if it is “later this year”. That’s when other series have filmed in the Dave era so makes sense to do it then. Presumably the studios are cheaper or something.

International Debris

That’s the third time in the last week we’ve had a quote about it being filmed at the end of the year.

Katydid

New Red Dwarf airing in four different decades then?

Dave

Well it’s already done that with the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s. The 2020s would be the fifth decade.

Katydid

I never claimed to be any good at math or basic comprehension for that matter.

clarence

I read this with real optimism. Maybe they are not going to have a studio audience, that would explain how everything is a bit “quiet” i know the team prefer to have one, but the logistics must be a lot more hassle. Plus i think in the last two series it was a bit “hammy” due to the actors playing to the audience.
    Either way i cant wait. Wonder what will come first, New series or my replacement blu ray discs!

Stephen Abootman

Stephen Abootman

Touched upon previously but they’ve now quoted Craig as saying: “Filming is going to commence in November through to the December and that’s all we can say really.”

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1151184/Red-Dwarf-season-13-air-date-cast-trailer-plot-Red-Dwarf-XIII-series-spoilers-Dave

Darrell

“We can also expect to see some guest characters and perhaps some canoes from famous faces.”

Okay.

In other news I’m finally starting to believe XIII is a thing (yeah shut up), and that it’s been kept on the downlow because its announcement, and the media campaign around it, is part of their deal with AA. This way there ends up being a plug for the AA in all the articles. And we don’t know what the plan is for the second TV ad yet.

This co-promotion deal and plan seems to be at the heart of *everything* that’s been weird, suspicious, ominous and unfathomable about the show and the radio silence around it over the past year. All I can say is hey – the truth genuinely was less likely than the ‘Movie all over again’ fuckup I would have bet hard cash on.

Dave

Hooray!

It will be nice to have proper confirmation though.

PFMC84

Well DJ isn’t until next year, so they aren’t waiting to announce it then if they’re gonna be filming Nov & Dec.

If they are filming then and there’s going to be an audience, shouldn’t tickets be going up soon for it? Unless of course part of the deal for XIII is no audience so they can use the money elsewhere and maybe expand the sets etc. Maybe a full size midsection for Starbug or more corridors/rooms on the ship?

Darrell

It’s for the canoes.

Stephen Abootman

Do UKTV still do their ‘UKTV Live’ thing? Think that used to be around September time so that would be one possibility for an announcement if so.

International Debris

Yeah, it’s still four months before filming, so I reckon tickets will be along in due time. Given just how happy they’ve been to have the audience back, with Doug saying it’s a big part of the show, I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t one.

Stephen Abootman

>perhaps some canoes from famous faces

Will they be using matter paddles?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

I hadn’t spotted the canoes thing before. That’s amazing.

Jo

“Well DJ isn’t until next year, so they aren’t waiting to announce it then if they’re gonna be filming Nov & Dec.

GNP have nothing to do with the organisation of DJ, announcements in the past have purely been lucky timing.

Stephen Abootman

Part 3 of the Express’ “Get a cast member to talk about something they used to be in, the AA ad and XIII” series of interviews: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1152739/Coronation-Street-Lloyd-Mullaney-return-Craig-Charles-soap-ITV

cwickham

John Darwin confirmed to guest star in XIII

Katydid

My theory is that the AA will pay into the budget of Series XIII as part of the advertising deal. They get to use a pop culture staple to advertise themselves, and Dwarf gets money to be produced.

Darrell

It’s gone weirdly quiet again, hasn’t it. Bearing in mind it’s August now and the latest audience tapings could begin for the dates as mooted is the second week of of November. The ticketing process for big scripted shows, in my experience, normally gives at least 2-3 months leeway, for balloting, admin, postage etc. These supposed Nov/Dec recordings are looking highly unlikely unless they announce something in the next couple of weeks.

Is the TV ad still running? The radio one still is I think. Are they not showing the second TV one? I don’t think I’ve seen an advert break in years.

Dave

I was wondering where the second one was too. Hopefully soon.

Stephen Abootman

Bit of a pointless update but the AA site has been updated with the behind the scenes video that everyone’s seen already.

The Red Dwarf section is quite high up on the ‘what’s on’ page of the Lost In TV site (https://lostintv.com/tv-show?id=298) It may well have not budged a smegging inch the last 4 years for all I know but have registered for info updates anyway just in case someone jumps the gun.

Stephen Abootman

Fair play to the Express for still churning out Dwarf cast member articles over a month on:

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1163790/Red-Dwarf-cast-season-13-Kryten-Robert-Llewellyn-baby-Kryten-news

“Meanwhile, Robert also revealed when fans could hope to see Red Dwarf XIII on screens.

“We start working on it at the end of November this year,” he spilled.

“I imagine we’ll go out early spring next year — I’m just guessing from previous experience.

“I haven’t had any of that confirmed,” the Kryten star cautioned.

The actor said the cast had spent “a lot of time together” this year, revealing his excitement to be back filming in autumn”

Darrell

“Red Dwarf actor Robert Llewellyn, 63, is best known for his portrayal of mehcnoio Kryten in the long-running sci-fi series.”

Love that mehcnoio.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

“We start working on it at the end of November this year,” he spilled.

“I imagine we’ll go out early spring next year — I’m just guessing from previous experience.

This is completely contrary to all previous experience.

Darrell

Does he mean start filming early spring do you think?
    Then again, this seems to be from the same AA interview pool as all the other pieces from two months ago. It seems impossible that they’re filming anything in 2019 now.

clem

Craig was on The Sara Cox Show on ITV this morning, recorded about three weeks ago judging by his twitter. “Fairly soon” was his response to being asked about filming a new series.

Darrell

If XIII only films late winter/spring (or later) it’s got a good chance of topping four years since tools were last downed, marking the second longest production hiatus the series has ever had.

Darrell

Crunched the numbers on this further. 1386 days between the taping of The Beginning and the taping of Give & Take. 1386 days after the taping of Skipper is Christmas Day this year. So yeah, if no RD shoots between now and Christmas, the gap between XII and XIII will be the longest production hiatus the show’s ever had outside of the VIII>BtE cancellation inertia, and the longest *active* production hiatus in the show’s history.

FWIW the gap between taping on VI and VII was between 1131 and 1161 days. VIII to BtE was 3715, minus however longer it took to shoot the guerilla reshoot for the Only The Good ending.

Dave

Counting from the end of filming is a bit disingenuous though, as the unique situation of XI and XII being filmed together but released a year apart changes things considerably.

The show was still being *produced* up until shortly before the release of XII, production didn’t end with the filming. And given the circumstances of filming, that post-shooting-but-pre-release period is a lot longer for XII than for other series of the show.

Darrell

Not true about XII. Post-production was still blocked through though as the whole schedule is, they wouldn’t have had a year’s break based on the TX plan (particularly as XII was potentially considered for TX earlier in 2017 at one point, and it was also mooted that episodes could potentially jump between XI and XII).

They completed them all together as a 12 part series in 2016 and just sat six of them on the shelf for longer. They might well have done small scale fiddling later on (episode titles etc, the Twentica pruning) but that would have required a specific unlock, been limited to minor reversioning tweaks (aka, someone joked about in an episode is killed before transmission), and not been part of the formal post-production process.

Also why I specifically used the word “production” – aka filming. Active production requires cameras to be shooting, and I don’t think wrap-to-first-shot roll time is an unreasonable way of marking activity.

Dave

It is a little bit unreasonable if you’re trying to make a point about how long the gap between series is, because we had an entire new series broadcast more than a year and a half after that filming took place.

Had they shot it more traditionally – XI that December, XII the following December – the end result in terms of broadcast would be exactly the same but your calculated period would be a year shorter.

To the average person on the street, it’s been just under two years since the last new Red Dwarf, not nearly four.

I’m not saying your numbers are wrong, just that they’re not as relevant as the broadcast dates in terms of how long the show has ‘been away’ – especially given the way the back-to-back filming makes the gap seem much longer than it is.

Ben Saunders

He won’t rest until everybody else is as unnecessarily pessimistic as he is

quinn_drummer

He’s a computer virus, travelling from forum thread to forum thread, overwriting the core happiness and optimism

Darrell

Apologies for my pessimistic use of facts, dates and information.

Hey folks, Red Dwarf XIII is on tonight! And afterwards a randomly chosen member of the cast will turn up to your front door and wank you off! Merry Christmas!

Dave

Apologies for my pessimistic use of facts, dates and information.

I’m not saying your numbers are wrong, just that they’re not as relevant as the broadcast dates in terms of how long the show has ‘been away’ – especially given the way the back-to-back filming makes the gap seem much longer than it is.

Ben Saunders

>a randomly chosen member of the cast will turn up to your front door and wank you off
    Unless it’s Chloe this is still extremely pessimistic thinking, and even then it would be more than a bit awkward.

Darrell

I was just pointing out that Red Dwarf is heading for its longest active production inertia in its history, is all. Will XII>XIII have as long a TX gap as X>XI did? No, probably not, and I wasn’t talking about that, evidenced by the fact that I NEVER MENTIONED IT. But I haven’t a clue why what I thought was an interesting fact about production downtime is so contentious. The people who make Red Dwarf on the ground have once again not been making Red Dwarf for a notable length of time that’s worth remarking on, not just in Red Dwarf terms but given that across similar lengths of time in the past, other TV shows have been axed outright, left dormant and then revived afresh with brand new production teams. And god knows how many different Spider-Mans that equates to.

Dave

It was lovely to get that new Red Dwarf sketch recently with the AA ad, I thought.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.