Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Dave ja vu?

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Is that the new name for Dave +1 ?

Somebody
    Participant

Yes.

clem
    Participant

Well, it probably is Dave ja vu. It sounds like it.

si
    Participant

Is that the new name for Dave +1 ?

Carlito
    Participant

Yes.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

See you in ten minutes?

Carlito
    Participant

So what is it?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Now from this point on, things get a little bit confusing…

Somebody
    Participant

Well go on then, shake your head and walk out.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I want to strangle everyone involved with Dave’s branding. I mean, for fucking fuck’s sake.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I actually think “Dave ja vu” is pretty clever.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a great name for a +1 channel.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

This is serious? I think it’s cool.

I mean, I wasn’t exactly taken with “Dave”, but if that’s the way we’re heading, this is a nice addition.

John Hoare
    Participant

I can’t decide whether it’s great or terrible. Although I’m veering towards great.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I’m not saying I dont’ like it, just that it’s a weird way to go with naming a +1 Channel.

At first I thought it was whoever was in charge of the EPG on Sky was fucking about. But lo and behold the DOG on the channel also displays it, so…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster
    ChrisM
    Participant

I like it. Nice little RD reference too… although not much of an advertisement as most wouldn’t get it… but it’s nice little nod for us in the know.

It’s a bad pun and a overly repetitive channel. But put the two together….

It’s a Triple fried egg chilli.. oh sorry. I’ve already used that one today in another thread.

Deja vu? Hur, hur.

JamesTC
    Participant

It is much better than Dave +1.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like it. At least it shows a modicum of thought.

si
    Participant

Well, it probably is Dave ja vu. It sounds like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What things?

si
    Participant

I said WHAT?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Well you can all fuck off.

si
    Participant

Which episode is that in?

Phil
    Participant

Can’t Fuck Off, Won’t Fuck Off

si
    Participant

Is it Kinatowawese?

JamesTC
    Participant

Fuck off? That only gives us 28 hours!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Well you can all fuck off.

Everyone else did.

James
    Participant

So Dave+1 should have been called Dav1d

JamesTC
    Participant

>So Dave+1 should have been called Dav1d

Next we can write “I am a retard” on our shirts.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It just seems like incredible arrogance on Dave’s part. They don’t need to follow no stinking channel naming conventions! No, they’d much rather forsake a channel name that instantly tells people what it’s there in favour of yet another fucking joke.

James
    Participant

I’ve got it! Now we have 6 Episodes of Red Dwarf woo! I wonder what the other 3 will be like?

John Hoare
    Participant

It just seems like incredible arrogance on Dave?s part. They don?t need to follow no stinking channel naming conventions! No, they?d much rather forsake a channel name that instantly tells people what it?s there in favour of yet another fucking joke.

I’d call it having a bit of imagination, myself!

I mean it’s easy to figure out what it means, isn’t it? And draws attention to the channel rather than people thinking “Oh, just another +1 service”, which is surely exactly what they intend…

My main issue with Dave is the name itself; I remember Tanya being especially appalled that they took a channel she enjoyed watching, and told her it was for MEN ONLY. That’s really irritating. Mind you, I said at the time that it’d almost certainly *work* – the concept behind it is irritating, but it’s also a hugely memorable name for the channel, perhaps unfortunately.

pfm
    Participant

Capps, don’t be a gimboid (I know, you’re not being a gimboid), I’ve just been in the library thinking and I’ve decided…SHUT UP. You’re space-crazy.

I like that they’ve done it. And do you know what, I’ll be fucking watching each Back To Earth episode on Dave ja vu, so stick that up your arse and…poo it.

pfm
    Participant

> I remember Tanya being especially appalled that they took a channel she enjoyed watching, and told her it was for MEN ONLY

That’s because it is. Surely she should be watching Living or UKTV Style.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> UKTV Style

Which will soon be rebranded as TITS or something.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I mean it?s easy to figure out what it means, isn?t it? And draws attention to the channel rather than people thinking ?Oh, just another +1 service?, which is surely exactly what they intend?

I dunno maybe I’m just being overly sensitive and underestimating the common viewer, but I’m still rankled by the name Dave (and the god awful attitude the whole channel possesses, headed up by Iain Lee) and this has just annoyed me even more.

+1 channels are purely functional – they’re only ever used when they *need* to be used and so it seem utterly pointless and attention seeking to give it its own identity when all people need to know is that it’s a +1.

JamesTC
    Participant

>Which will soon be rebranded as TITS or something.

I would have thought that would be aimed at men.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I would have thought taht would be aimed at men.

Ok, BRAS, then.

John Hoare
    Participant

I dunno maybe I?m just being overly sensitive and underestimating the common viewer, but I?m still rankled by the name Dave (and the god awful attitude the whole channel possesses, headed up by Iain Lee) and this has just annoyed me even more.

I’m not especially keen on a lot of the Dave branding either, admittedly. It works a treat in terms of being memorable and appealing to a certain audience, but it’s also irritating. I can’t blame them for going with it when it works so well, but I also reserve the right to be slightly annoyed by it. But then, I’m not keen on G.O.L.D.’s branding, either…

(I don’t dislike all of the rebrands, though. UKTV History’s change into Yesterday is really good. I have a big rant about UKTV Drama turning into Alibi, though – the idents are fine, but the idea of turning a channel stuffed full of great drama and some comedy gems into something that shows purely crime drama is appalling. It’s so appallingly limiting, and wrecked a really good channel.)

+1 channels are purely functional – they?re only ever used when they *need* to be used and so it seem utterly pointless and attention seeking to give it its own identity when all people need to know is that it?s a +1.

I think the thing is – I didn’t even know Dave *had* a +1. I do now. So the channel rename has achieved its aim – to draw attention to the service, and make people know it exists.

But it does make me smile too, I must admit. I think it’s a pretty clever pun. YM, as they say, MV.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Your writing style has changed a lot recently John.

James
    Participant

It was so easy when it was a channel named by acronym.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> But it does make me smile too, I must admit. I think it?s a pretty clever pun. YM, as they say, MV.

I’m almost certain I’m overreacting so, yeah, I understand where you’re coming from. It’s just a shame to me that one of the best digital channels has a feel to it that grates with me.

Actually, speaking of irritating UKTV channel identities, Blighty’s got to be the worst.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

What’s Blighty actually about?

Dave
    Participant

>What?s Blighty actually about?

It’s a front for the Blighty Nationalist Party

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Splitters!

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.