Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum David Tennant is leaving Doctor Who :o(

Viewing 51 posts - 1 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698200.stm

He’s leaving after the specials :o( WAH!!

Rad
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a shame but he had a good run. So does this mean Christmas Day 2009 will see the regeneration?

ChrisM
    Participant

It’s a shame in some ways (he was a great Doctor) but it makes sense.

pfm
    Participant

Everyone should have seen it coming really. It’s looking like all-change for series 5, IMO it would have felt wrong to have David as the sort of ‘leftover’ Doctor. The end of series 4 IMO made his Doctor feel ‘same old, same old’ by leaving him alone and depressed AGAIN for like the 3rd year in a row (looks like the planned Cybermen-in-Tardis ending has perhaps been saved for Children In Need). Everything now is retreading old ground until the 11th Doctor arrives.

I honestly hope Catherine Tate crops up in at least one of the specials. The idea of each of the specials each being flashbacks to adventures with previous companions (Rose, Martha, Donna), then the last one being his regeneration story, still intrigues me. It’s been confirmed that the last special is in 2010, I’m guessing New Year’s Day as opposed to them using it as a season premiere for series 5.

Paterson Joseph for Doctor no. 11 then? Is it just a coincidence that his name suddenly crops up for serious consideration shortly before Tennant announces his departure? Personally I’d rather have him as the Doctor than 90% of the people always ‘rumoured’ for the role, I’m looking at you Robert Carlyle and especially YOU James fucking Nesbitt.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Aw, shit.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I was expecting it anyway, so I can’t say I’m that upset. Whoever follows Tennant will have a lot to live up to!

TheLeen
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Change, my dear, and it seems a few moments too soon.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Bugger, I was hoping he’d stay on for Series 5, to smooth the transition to Moffat. And Tennant & Moffat would be a bloody dream team.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I wonder when the new Doctor announcement will come? They must’ve cast or at least be very close to casting the new guy, and there’s only so long they can keep something secret… possibly around Easter next year?

Phil
    Participant

>Who?ll replace David Tennant? Betting :D

I’d like $500 on Ricky Gervais, please.

ChrisM
    Participant

You have a sick sense of humor Phil…

I mean, I’m not a Gervais hater, quite like The Office and Extras in fact, but… oh dear would that wear thin…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I?d like $500 on Ricky Gervais, please.

He’s too busy playing Kryten.

Rad
    Participant

I hope Alex Kingston makes an appearance in one of them. That would be cool.

si
    Participant

I agree with Symes, I’d’ve liked a crossover/transition period with The Moff’s first series. Still, between his first and final appearances as the Doctor, it’s over four and a half years, just ahead of Jon Pertwee, second only to Tom Baker.

I want an unknown for the role. I’m not really keen on Paterson Joseph – he’s okay, I suppose, but…no. If anyone, Julian Rhind-Tutt is my favourite, while my sister adores Russell Tovey. But dear God, please not Jimmy fucking Nesbitt.

si
    Participant

> I mean, I?m not a Gervais hater

I fucking well am.

hummingbird
    Participant

> Who?ll replace David Tennant? Betting :D

Hmmmm. Lookin at that list, I sort of like the idea of Bill Nighy.

>I?d like $500 on Ricky Gervais, please.
    >He?s too busy playing Kryten.

Well now that Bobby Llewellyn’s free, he’d make a great Doctor.

No, really, he would. I can totally see it.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Anyone remember the morning when Ecclescakes’ casting was announced, where every paper had him in the role… except for the Daily Fail, which proudly proclaimed that it was going to be Nighy?

hummingbird – my girlfriend thinks Bobby Llew, as well. I think Chris would be better (and has been considered in the past)…

John Hoare
    Participant

I’m not really convinced Bobby, as great as he is, has the range required.

Chris definitely does.

hummingbird
    Participant

> I think Chris would be better (and has been considered in the past)

Didn’t know that. Interesting.
    Yes, Chris does have the greater range, but I would see Bobby as a more natural choice.

Saying that, I would be well chuffed to see either of them in the role.
    (would be well chuffed to see either of them in something that doesn’t involve cars or building stuff out of bloody scrap)

Mnoooah
    Participant

I think what you’re all overlooking is that the Doctors are getting steadily and significantly *younger* which means that this time we’re looking at a teenage Who. Possibly, Skins with time traveling. (eugh)

ChrisM
    Participant

I?m not really convinced Bobby, as great as he is, has the range required.

Chris definitely does.

Why, thank you!

hummingbird
    Participant

>I think what you?re all overlooking is that the Doctors are getting steadily and significantly *younger* which means that this time we?re looking at a teenage Who.

And worse than that – in a few years he’ll be a little sperm, swimming around in somebody’s testicles.
    I mean, pardon me, but that’s just not how I saw the future of Who.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I think what you?re all overlooking is that the Doctors are getting steadily and significantly *younger* which means that this time we?re looking at a teenage Who.

We’re not overlooking it ‘cos it’s not TRUE.

Davison was younger than Baker T when he took over. Baker C was older than Davison. McCoy was the same age as Baker C, but took over at an older age than Colin did. McGann was younger than McCoy. Eccleston was older than McGann was (McGann is older in general, but there were 9 years between them so you can only judge McGann on his age in ’96).

It’s true that regeneration has been re-established as having a “rejuvenating” effect, but I think they could still get away with anyone between the ages of 30 and 50 in the role.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Still, between his first and final appearances as the Doctor, it?s over four and a half years, just ahead of Jon Pertwee, second only to Tom Baker.

I think McCoy may have something to say about that.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Not to mention McGann (yes it counts, for Big Finish if nothing else)

Steve Harris
    Participant

I thought they might go for someone younger still next time round or even go down the female route but now doubt that very much.

I guess that anyone chosen will have to be given full chance before the decision is slagged off given the recent track record..

It wasn’t long ago that people were saying ‘Tennant who?’, people were far from sure about Billie Piper to begin with and news of Catherine Tates arrival was met with considerable doubt.

Somebody somewhere saw a lot more in ‘them’ than we did, top marks all round.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Is there any truth to the rumour that the reason DT’s leaving is because he left messages on Peter Davison’s answering machine telling him he’d shagged his daughter?

pfm
    Participant

I can’t wait to read what the Mail have to say about the casting of a black Doctor. Also, some idiots on various forums who have the attitude of ‘oh no, we’ve just got rid of RTD only to get a black Doctor’. I hate everyone. In the world. Even my other half who fucking LOVES Tennant and is gutted that he’s leaving (I’m not joking, she was almost in tears when he was announcing it in the middle of the NTAs). The lanky streak of piss can go as far as I’m concerned!!

Carlito
    Participant

That’s no way to describe your girlfriend.

I have it on good authority that the next Doctor is Iain Lee

Phil
    Participant

If his companion is Jonathan Capps then we should see some real fireworks.

pfm
    Participant

> If his companion is Jonathan Capps then we should see some real fireworks

The Merlin and Sugar Rush producer? He probably can’t even act.

mick
    Participant

New Doctor you say?

Danny Baker FTW!

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Tennant was an awful doctor. I saw him about a rash on my side, and he didn’t want to even look at it!

si
    Participant

>Still, between his first and final appearances as the Doctor, it?s over four and a half years, just ahead of Jon Pertwee, second only to Tom Baker.

I think McCoy may have something to say about that.

I was referring to regular series appearances, smartarse, and you know I was.

pfm
    Participant

The TVM is classed as a regular series appearance. Now go and listen to the McGann audios.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Danny Baker FTW!

Tom, Colin, it’s probably best to keep it in the family.

si
    Participant

The TVM is classed as a regular series appearance. Now go and listen to the McGann audios.

What’s regular about one TV movie? I’m not saying it’s not canon, just not part of a regular weekly season.

Oh, and the audio’s are fine. I missed this week’s but last weeks was great.

pfm
    Participant

I reckon they should make room for at least one McGann/Sheridan Smith TV special. I can’t see it happening though because the regular audience of the new series will be like ‘what the fuck is going on? Where’s David Tennant?’ Considering he’s leaving after the specials they will make the most of him and not have an ex-Doctor on the scene.

I suppose it could always happen during series 5, but IMO it could be used as a final once-and-for-all ending and explanation of the Time War featuring the 8th to 9th regeneration (Eccleston ftw).

cliff
    Participant

Everyone always asks who’s next??..for god’s sake pay no attention to the tabloids when it comes to who will be the next doctor!, they always churn out the same ridiculous choices i.e Alan Davies and Eddie Izzard both just wrong for the role. Just make sure that you stick to TOS for any info.
    If you pick an established actor he is always going to avoid being typecast and not stay in the role for any reasonable amount of time.
    As has been said on many occasions..any actor can bring something to the part..trouble is innevitably any actor can completely fuck it up too!.

cliff
    Participant

As for the Movie i am sceptical, i believe if you turn Who in to something it’s not you’ll screw it up..

don’t we learn from our mistakes?..it belongs on the Tv.

Dave
    Participant

Ned Flanders to play the next Doctor

Ben Paddon
    Participant

“Write an episode of Doctor Who” is on my List of Life Ambitions, right above “Appear in an episode of Doctor Who”.

Dave
    Participant

>?Write an episode of Doctor Who? is on my List of Life Ambitions, right above ?Appear in an episode of Doctor Who?.

“Item 34, right after ‘Learn Portugese’.”

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Isn’t Mark Gatiss the only person to write for Who and be in it?

Dave
    Participant

>Isn?t Mark Gatiss the only person to write for Who and be in it?

No, Glyn Jones wrote The Space Museum and was in The Sontaran Experiment & Nicholas Briggs wrote Sword Of Orion (on the radio) and was the voice of the Daleks, Cybermen, Judoon & the Nestene on the new show.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

No, Glyn Jones wrote The Space Museum and was in The Sontaran Experiment

Oh.

& Nicholas Briggs wrote Sword Of Orion (on the radio) and was the voice of the Daleks, Cybermen, Judoon & the Nestene on the new show.

Ah.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I think David Mitchell and Robert Webb could either be Doctor Who. Don’t ask me why I think that, but I think they oculd easily pull it of, either of them.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The other one would have to be The Master.

Or alternatively, they could alternate.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n2If_4hpoec

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>?Write an episode of Doctor Who? is on my List of Life Ambitions, right above ?Appear in an episode of Doctor Who?.

Don’t worry, Ben. When I’m showrunner and thirteenth Doctor, you’re welcome to write an episode and play a villain.

Viewing 51 posts - 1 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.