Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Den of Geek review

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SkyAndSun
    Participant

Just to counteract the thoughtful but negative DigitalSpy review thread, here’s a thoughtful positive review from Den of Geek.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/236530/red_dwarf_back_to_earth_review.html

Someone who feared the worst after the last two seasons and was pleasantly surprised, kind of like me.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

Interesting review.

It must be a bit tough for Doug and Andrew (if they look at these things) to constantly read that new writers should be brought in. Even from the pretty positive reviewers.

If Doug does record a commentary or interviews for the DVD over the coming days then it will be interesting to hear whether he responds to criticisms made and talks about any lessons learnt.

NoFro
    Participant

Thing is, the jokes felt like old school Dwarf jokes. If new writers were brought in again I fear we’d lose this.

SkyAndSun
    Participant

Yeah I think maybe a better suggestion is a strong editor. Someone who will suggest cuts and tweaks and what’s working and what’s not. Am I right in saying Andrew Ellard is increasingly assuming this role?

NoFro
    Participant

Or at least have a writer who knows Dwarf and respects it’s style of comedy.

mark100000
    Participant

> Yeah I think maybe a better suggestion is a strong editor.

Agreed, as proved by some ‘fan edits’ the story even for the ‘weaker’ first ep was strong just lacked someone with the guts to chop and change it around.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

What I think is this: Doug clearly needs someone to bounce ideas off of. There were many moments in BtE that feel like they could have, with some nurturing, become moments rivaling or even surpassing classic Dwarf in terms of sheer hilarity. And, if you’ll just bear with me, I think I’ve devised a fair and equitable system of choosing who should help him out. It’s based on age, rank, seniority, usefulness…

To cut a long story short, it’s me. I was a stunned as you are, which is why I demanded a recount. Well, blow me if it didn’t come out as me again!

Typewriter.

hummingbird
    Participant

After VII I’d feel very nervous about Doug writing with anyone else. But that’s not to say that it couldn’t work if he found the right person.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Agreed, as proved by some ?fan edits? the story even for the ?weaker? first ep was strong just lacked someone with the guts to chop and change it around.

Skills which any editor needs. Cause it’s basically their job description.

I’ve said this right since we saw Part 1 – it needs editing well. It’s poorly paced, needs a hell of a lot of tightening up. That evidently didn’t happen, and the show was much worse for it.

Carlito
    Participant

Doug churning out a last minute script due to personal issues = the very, very enjoyable Back To Earth.

Doug having plenty of time to write 6 scripts for Red Dwarf series IX = exciting as FUCK!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.