Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Dimension Jump XVII

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 243 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

I’ve just realised that I haven’t yet posted in the forum about the next Dimension Jump weekend. I know there has been a post on the front page, as well as the odd mention of it here and there, but I thought I should post here so I can update you as and when new guests are announced. Also I want to see who from G&T is going to be attending :-D

When: Friday 3rd – Sunday 5th May 2013
    Where: Holiday Inn, Birmingham City Centre. UK
    Guests: Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn, Tony Hawks, Rebecca Blackstone and Bill Pearson. (Further guests will be announced over the coming weeks)
    Price: £65 TORDFC Members/ £80 Non-members (Children 5 and under go free)

Full details, hotel info and T&Cs can be found on the dedicated DJ site: http://dimensionjump.info/

Count me in! I’m going to enter the costume competition as Rob Grant.

Ridley
    Participant

I forsee blackface Duane Dibbley getting into an argument with one of the Taiwan Tonys.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Single accommodations are a bit steep; any women want to share a room?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

That technique has never worked for me.

mick
    Participant

I’ll be raiding my penny jar for the train ticket and sleeping in the bar again, see you all there!

EDIT: I recently watched back the video I shot at DJ 2007 and realised that it’s all of such a nature that I can never make it publicly available :(

MANI506
    Participant

I have a wedding which I have to go to on May 4th otherwise I would be there. Might see if I can work around it but not looking good.

Indeed Mick, some of it was included in that Jimmy Savile documentary.

mick
    Participant

A good portion of it is like a scene from paranormal activity, Ian’s performance is exceptional.

si
    Participant

Oh, I’d like to see your vid, Mick. 2007 was the last DJ I got to, and God knows when I’ll get down again. (That’s not me complaining, honest)

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I will be attending with my family….sort of. My wife and one of the kids will be shopping whilst I will be at the convention with the other kid. The plan is to periodically swap kids so that both get to experience about half of the convention. But I suspect that we may actually just all spend a lot of time sat in the bar together…

As the Holiday Inn doesn’t do family rooms, it works out a bit too expensive and so we will be staying elsewhere.

Have family tickets for the convention ever been considered? I suggest this purely from a selfish point of view of course. In a couple of years or so, it won’t really matter to me :)

I’m booking into a charming gothic nightmare of a hotel a solid fifteen minutes walk away at the back end of an industrial estate.

Jo
    Participant

Have family tickets for the convention ever been considered? I suggest this purely from a selfish point of view of course.

I can’t speak for DJs prior to November 2007, but it’s not something we’ve considered since I’ve been on the team. Honestly, I think the tickets are already pretty good value when you compare them to other conventions.

In a couple of years or so, it won’t really matter to me :)

Sinister! :-S

Jo
    Participant

I’m booking into a charming gothic nightmare of a hotel a solid fifteen minutes walk away at the back end of an industrial estate.

Amusingly, that place was one we were originally considering as an alternative venue, but for various factors, including its distance from the centre and the industrial estate location, we decided against it.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Booked. :-) Havnt been for years. Time for my Third Jump. See you all there.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“I forsee blackface Duane Dibbley getting into an argument with one of the Taiwan Tonys.”

I went to College with blackface Duane Dibbley! That photo I saw of him as Duane made me jump for two reasons haha!

Jo
    Participant

I went to College with blackface Duane Dibbley! That photo I saw of him as Duane made me jump for two reasons haha!

Did he carry that old man puppet around college with him?

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

No, but it was probably on his bedroom wall!

Jo
    Participant

Current confirmed DJXVII guest list in a lovely picture format:

HelloMabel
    Participant

>That technique has never worked for me.

Hah. Looks like it didn’t work for me either. I may finally have to sign up at TOS forum.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Nice Montage. :-) Cant wait.

Bill Pearson raising his eyebrows there in shock of being starred at by a mad goth Rebecca.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Damn, young Rimmer’s quite fit, isn’t he?

anniescribe
    Participant

Barring unforeseen expenses, knock wood, I will be traversing a few thousand miles to attend …

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m opening a book on how many times we can get Bill to say “annihilator” over the course of the weekend.

hummingbird
    Participant

Oooh. I might actually be able to make it. Huzzah, etc.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> Barring unforeseen expenses, knock wood, I will be traversing a few thousand miles to attend …

Annie, would you be willing to split the cost of a double room with me? I don’t snore, stink or hog the shower. :)

Finding a roomie might mean the difference between my attending and not attending – but if you don’t want to share or are already bringing someone, no prob.

Jo
    Participant

>Barring unforeseen expenses, knock wood, I will be traversing a few thousand miles to attend …
    >Oooh. I might actually be able to make it. Huzzah, etc.

Excellent!

>Annie, would you be willing to split the cost of a double room with me?
    Just FYI: the hotel advised me that any double room can be turned into a twin and vice versa (same price) if that helps at all? :-)

anniescribe
    Participant

Mabel – I have someone who is pretty sure she’s going who would be rooming with me. If there’s any way to fit three people into one room, you could stay with us, though. I don’t know what the Holiday Inn rooms are like – I can check to see if they have rollaways to bring into the room or a sofa in there.

See, if this is possible, that way if she doesn’t make it, you can have the other bed … and if she does, you’d still have a place to sleep and only a third of the room cost. Let me email my contact at the hotel and ask about it. :-D

HelloMabel
    Participant

Thanks!

StephenSimpson
    Participant

I will be in attendance. Hazzah!

anniescribe
    Participant

Mabel, I am told there are not to be three people in a room. I don’t know if this means “no, there’s really not room for a third adult” or, as we say in the good old USA, “as long as the place doesn’t burn down in the middle of the night leaving us an adult corpse we don’t have on record, or you don’t break a bone and sue us, we can look the other way.” Not being British or familiar at all with Birmingham, I simply can’t say which. :-(

mick
    Participant

Sleep in the bar with me! :-D

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

You smooth bastard.

mick
    Participant

Like a pâté made from tarmac.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Thanks for checking that out for me, Annie. Too bad.

Mick – tempting as that offer is, I don’t fly 5400 miles with no bed waiting for me on the other side. I learned that lesson in Amsterdam.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Well, since a double can be converted to two twin beds, I don’t mind sharing with a guy, either.

takerdemon
    Participant

As long as I’m not attacked over the holidays by a pan-dimensional liquid beast from the Mogadon cluster then I’m going to 100% be attending DJ. Since I’m a long time dwarfer that’s dreamed of going to DJ after seeing it on the Smeg Up/Out VHS tapes, I feel like it’s finally time to man up and go. I’m quite apprehensive about going there solo and not knowing a soul but hopefully some of you will at least throw me a friendly glance when we’re there so I can imagine I have a friend.

In regards to room sharing and stuff… I plan to book my tickets and room come January when that pesky holiday is out of the way. I’m a pretty normal 28 year old male so if anyone wants to share then I’m open to the suggestion if it helps make it affordable for someone else. If not, I’ll have a nice big room to myself.

In regards to DJ, any advice for a n00b attending? Want to make the most of it.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>In regards to DJ, any advice for a n00b attending? Want to make the most of it.

If the DwarfCasts are to be believed, it is very difficult to NOT have a good time. But I will leave this to be answered more specifically by people who have actually attended.

> if anyone wants to share then I’m open to the suggestion if it helps make it affordable for someone else.

Me?

anniescribe
    Participant

Mabel, if you do set a room with a guy and my roommate doesn’t pan out for some reason and you’d rather stay with another woman, that offer is open. That is, of course, assuming I can go (which I’m planning to, but it’s not just right up the road and stuff can happen between now and then).

Jo
    Participant

>I plan to book my tickets and room come January when that pesky holiday is out of the way.

The hotel don’t take the money for the room until you check-out, so I recommend booking your room ASAP. :)

Sarah
    Participant

Holiday Inn told me that we couldn’t have 3 in a room, phoned again and a different person then told us that a 15 year old could stay in the same room as us (as per previous 2 DJ’s, they either bring in an extra single or use the sofa). 2nd person tried charging us £90 for a ‘family’ room, 3rd person charged us less.
    It might be worth phoning them again, if you get the right person …… lol

anniescribe
    Participant

Ah, so it’s the “just don’t let us know a third person is in there” Option 2.

I suppose that’s something to keep in mind Mabel, should other plans fall through. ;-)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Or it could have just been because the 15-year-old was a minor…

(And Red Dwarf is a mining ship… *groan*)

That’s very nice of you, Annie. Please do keep me updated as things get more settled. :)

Sarah
    Participant

Lol

Ben Paddon
    Participant

HelloMabel
    Participant

Ben, you *have* to attend. We’ve never managed to meet up here in LA, and if I meet everybody halfway around the world but not the one G&Ter who lives 45 minutes away from me, well that’s just ridiculous.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I don’t have the money, sadly. That may change come the new year, depending on stuff, but for now I’m assuming it’s not going to happen. Which is a shame.

You should go to Gallifrey One, Mabel. I’m going in February.

HelloMabel
    Participant

> You should go to Gallifrey One, Mabel. I’m going in February.

It’s sold out, according to the website (and it’s no wonder, looking at the guest list). Too bad, although I don’t think I could have justified two such big-ticket luxuries in a 3-month span anyway. But I could meet you some place near there, like the Melody bar on Sepulveda.

HelloMabel
    Participant

Danny, what’s the best way to send you arrangements? I’ve finally rewritten one that was lost with my stolen laptop. It’s a jpeg image of a hand-written part :( but it’s still legible and the best I can do, having no access to a sequencer or music-writing software. BTW, you’re welcome to make any changes you want.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

But I could meet you some place near there, like the Melody bar on Sepulveda.

Or just come to the hotel on Saturday night! A bunch of us usually hang out in the lobby drinking (the night is affectionately nicknamed “LobbyCon”).

Or, yeah, there are bars we can meet up in.

takerdemon
    Participant

Going back a bit up this thread but what the hell! Thanks everyone for those nuggets of advice.

Jo – thanks for the heads up, will book the room today!

Mabel – yes, I’ll get a double room for myself anyway so if you find yourself in need, we can turn this into a twin :-)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’ve done the “more people staying in a room than it’s technically booked for” thing in the past at DJ with few problems. I think we had three of us in a twin at the first Birmingham one, and there were about six of us in one room at the last Peterborough, as I recall.

So long as you sort out your key distribution and whatnot, it’s not really difficult. The hotel won’t pay much attention so long as you’re careful about packing stuff up when they come to clean.

The only issue is with breakfast, really. The buffet breakfast at the holiday inn is excellent, and not to be missed, but obviously you’ll only get two seats with a room for two people.

Sarah
    Participant

How many people can fit into one of their king sized beds? They are rather huge beds.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“How many people can fit into one of their king sized beds? ”

Six is comfortable, eight is a crowd.

anniescribe
    Participant

A far better question would be, how many people want to fit into one of their king sized beds?

HelloMabel
    Participant

Ben – Hooray! See you there. :)

takerdemon – Thanks! You’ve got yourself a roomie. :) I might still move in with Annie if her friend can’t come, but you are Plan A.

OH MY GOD IM ACTUALLY GOING TO A DJ!!!111!!!!!!1
    (sry rong thred)

takerdemon
    Participant

I’ve never been plan A before! Awesome!

anniescribe
    Participant

BUT YOU CAN COME DRINK WITH US, MABEL. (Or I may have to come drink with you, since that sounds like I am severely overestimating my popularity with crowds. And I am. LOL)

HelloMabel
    Participant

Oh I definitely shall. :) By the time that weekend rolls around I will have spent four months as a substitute school music teacher. I will be needing several drinks.

Blisschick
    Participant

Desperately want to attend, but desperately need a job to do it. It is my goal to get there before either I or the cast are too old to attend.

HelloMabel
    Participant

*fingers crossed*

takerdemon
    Participant

Hey Mabel,

I’ve changed my room from a double to a twin so you’re all set. If you do go with others (and don’t feel bad if you do), just let me know so I can change it back to a double.

Room is booked for the Friday and Saturday night.

Also… I’ve driving up from Hertfordshire (just outside the city). If peeps are interested in carpooling (no on camera interview I promise) then let me know as I’m open to suggestions.

anniescribe
    Participant

Are there particular sights to see or things you locals would recommend to an out-of-country-er to do around Birmingham after the convention, to maximize the money they’ve spent to get there without a great deal more debt to the trip? :-D

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

There’s Villa Park – home of the finest football team in the country. Don’t listen to what any other British people tell you – they’re definitely the best team in the country.

There’s plenty to do in the city – a huge shopping centre if that’s your thing, the best curries in the country (not hyperbole, they actually are) and the Chinese quarter right next to the hotel is great too. You’re not too far from Warwick Castle and Stratford-upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare).

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Stratford-upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare).

Not any more, though.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“There’s Villa Park – home of the finest football team in the country. Don’t listen to what any other British people tell you – they’re definitely the best team in the country.

There’s plenty to do in the city – a huge shopping centre if that’s your thing, the best curries in the country (not hyperbole, they actually are) and the Chinese quarter right next to the hotel is great too. You’re not too far from Warwick Castle and Stratford-upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare).”

I live in Stoke, where there’s… a… I mean, they have… um… oh, fuck it, go to Birmingham.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

and the Chinese quarter right next to the hotel is great too.

A thousand times this. We went for a chinese before the madness that was DJXVI and it was amazing!!!!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

and the Chinese quarter right next to the hotel is great too.

A thousand times this. We went for a chinese before the madness that was DJXVI and it was amazing!!!!

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

You can say that again.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

si
    Participant

*Resists*

*Easily*

HelloMabel
    Participant

>> Stratford-upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare).

> Not any more, though.

Fun fact: if the Shakespeare family had remained in the village where John Shakespeare grew up, Will would be known today as the “Bard of Snitterfield.” (Bryson, p. 32) (just happen to be reading this currently) (sorry)

anniescribe
    Participant

Hmm, lots of suggestions to write down!

StephenSimpson
    Participant

“There’s Villa Park – home of the finest football team in the country. Don’t listen to what any other British people tell you – they’re definitely the best team in the country.”

Ignore this man. He know not what he sayeth.

HelloMabel
    Participant

“I’m sorry, [name of boss]. I can’t attend faculty enrichment training on May 3. I have a family reunion.”

Congratulations. You all have just adopted me.

anniescribe
    Participant

I’ll start an argument at dinner about the last election, to do my part for it, Mabel. :-D

HelloMabel
    Participant

What I’ll really need is a picture of me and Auntie Annie as proof. Practice looking gangly and gormless so he’ll believe we’re related. :)

takerdemon
    Participant

Will gladly soil myself during the festivities so I can be the token drunken relative! Unnecessary? Perhaps but I’m a method actor!

HelloMabel
    Participant

Hooray!

anniescribe
    Participant

Well, being the cheap bastard I am, I just got round to ordering my plane ticket for May. Knock wood, I won’t have to cancel, and will be able to really be there …

Karnie
    Participant

Genuinely upset I can’t make it, unless they invent teleportation by then, making airfares plummet in price….

HelloMabel
    Participant

> Or just come to the hotel on Saturday night! A bunch of us usually hang out in the lobby drinking (the night is affectionately nicknamed “LobbyCon”)

Ben – See you there!

Phil 4Q2B
    Participant

With regards to sharing, if anyone is interested I’ll be in my room covered in taramasolata

HelloMabel
    Participant

Regarding the planned drunken singalong: Irish tunes are good. I can do the fiddle parts.

Ian Blundell
    Participant

This years DJ shall be my first one.

Although am not happy I didn’t win the logo competition. Maybe not entering had something to do with it.

Jonsmad
    Participant

This years, will be my third. Did one of the really early ones in the 90’s. And one last decade towards the end of the DVD release era. Both were, good, and as trilogies go part three looks to be best yet for me. See you there.

HelloMabel
    Participant

>Although am not happy I didn’t win the logo competition. Maybe not entering had something to do with it.

Even if you had entered, that logo is made of win. My first stop is the merch booth for a D-D-Dimension Jump XVII T-shirt. And the best part: first T-Shirt ever where it won’t matter if I spill food down the front.

Jonsmad, What was DJ like in the 90’s?

Ian Blundell
    Participant

>Even if you had entered, that logo is made of win.

Ye couldn’t agree more. Maybe next year, ay!

MANI506
    Participant

I went to DJ 97, 98 and 09.

At 97 I met my best friends.

At 98 Elvis told me I was beautiful.

At 09 Craig Charles was a legend.

Can’t go this year. Wedding of someone I met at DJ 97 to go to!

MANI506
    Participant

DJ in the 90s was very similar to now, except now there is twitter.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The DJ I went to in the 90’s Mabel. Was the first one I had been to, and the first sci fi or comedy event thing I had ever been to. It was Northampton near me, I think In 94. I enjoyed the experience. I remember being thrilled to meet Peter Wragg, who was there with Rocky or Rocket or someone like that who helped him, and both the Q and A was good and better was the feeling standing around afterwards in the bar with these people them going on about working on the show and bitching about things and stuff that went wrong, it felt like a priviledge to be so close to people who made something you love to watch, Wragg was a mixture of nerves and charm. And Danny was the guest from the cast, again the fact I even managed to say “hello” to Danny just made my whole year etc. The first famous person I ever met. The fans were fun, meeting people was easy, it was a fun party, It wasn’t super busy yet as an event, people bonded quickly
    and had fun, I cant remember much event wise beyond those Q and A’s. there was probably a quiz or something. I remember a viewing room constantly showing episodes. And I think we got a showing of
    something of the series 6 deleted scene thing from the forthcoming smeg video vhs, first. This was before
    the internet or ever getting to see so much behind the scenes. They had a guy who was building a hitch hikers like database by going to conventions and getting people to write stuff. Sort of like a Wikipedia in a suitcase I guess, which at the time I thought was genius, and I joined in. And I think they had jane klick as a guest, which at the time I thought personally was a fucking shit thing to have. I went to it with a school friend who was a fan, and he spent the whole weekend trying to pull the freakiest looking fan girl there, and I saw very little of him, as he sat up one corner with her the whole weekend. I had a brilliant brilliant time with fans. And I have little doubt that in the scheme of DJ’s it was probably the least good dimension jump ever.

2005 I think was my 2nd. I must have been on G&T by then, but I don’t think I had really spoken to anyone on here much. It was Peterborough, found it a bit harder to meet people, going alone to that one, but struck up a couple of friend ships, and everyone still really nice, but I think I might have taken an early night rather than throw myself into the full partying of the disco it got a bit too much perhaps. The Q and A’s and guests, where fantastic, the whole thing had come on massively clearly since the early days. Being in the same room as Rimmer etc, was just another level, there was costume laughs, games, a great quiz, stuff from the 7 documentary first showing. Chloe, and norman I think, and danny. Loads of the model unit guys plus their squirrel? Great Merchandise. aitographs were now organised and something everyone got, rather than just buggig the cast member afterwards. Brilliant auction. They sold the emo hawk! I won dougs copys of series 1dvds. The test pressings. And back to reality script. And I got mistaken for jonathan capps. Cus im called Jonathan and I was wearing a cap. But sadly I still had to pay up, I couldn’t palm the bill off onto him.
    We got to see the other fan films that didn’t get on the dvd, cus they just weren’t as good as the movie yeah no.
    And I remember sitting in the bar re-enacting someone script of a show they had won, with all of us reading
    the lines etc, which was a laugh. Despite not fully engaging with the event, I still found it twice as good as the first one I had been to. I have again no doubt that DJ has suppassed this event since.

So this year, I know a few names from this forum, get to say hello hello mabel, the G&T team etc I’ve come to regard now as people I’ve met, one of my very best friends is coming with her daughter, and ive 2 other friends from my circles, independently going, since Red Dwarf X sucked people back to their interest in Dwarf. And then there is that line up. The full cast is coming! yay!!!!! loads of series X guest stars!!! yay!!! norman isn’t. yay!!!!!! it’s all good. Set to be the best yet for me. I cant wait. 6 Weeks!!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

We got to see the other fan films that didn’t get on the dvd, cus they just weren’t as good as the movie yeah no.

HEY!!!!!…

..but yes, you’re right, there was a reason they won…

HelloMabel
    Participant

> jane klick

Another person I unsuccessfully Googled. Who the smeg is this?

si
    Participant

Jane Killick is a journalist and writer. She used to write a lot for the Smegazine, and has written a Red Dwarf episode Guide called ‘Stasis Leaked!’

:)

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

First timer here :D Hopefully it’ll be cool to meet fellow fans of the show :)

takerdemon
    Participant

Lots of first timers for DJ (of which I’m one) though I’m apprehensive about freshman style initiation! Hopefully we’re not required to be bent over and used as a toast rack.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>written a Red Dwarf episode Guide called ‘Stasis Leaked!’

Anyone got this? Isn’t it just republished stuff from Smegazine?

si
    Participant

I’ve got a copy of the first volume, not read it for a while. I think it’s just for series one, and also includes some of her smegazine work, but I honestly can’t remember. I believe she’s written an expanded edition since, though.

Alex
    Participant

>Anyone got this? Isn’t it just republished stuff from Smegazine?

Yeah, I reviewed it on Gazpacho Soup a while ago.

Jane Killick – Stasis Leaked Complete: The Unofficial Behind The Scenes Guide To Red Dwarf (Book Review)

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

If anyone wants to meet up there, it’d be great to hang out with new people! :)

Viewing 100 posts - 1 through 100 (of 243 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.