Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Doctor number 12 incoming Sunday

Viewing 52 posts - 1 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Connell
    Participant

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/12th-doctor-revealed-on-sunday-52184.htm

Last chance to place your bets, ladies and gentlemen. I don’t really have my eye on anyone in particular to play the part this time round, although I wouldn’t mind seeing someone older portray The Doc.

I’m also quite apprehensive a black actor or female taking on the role, and believe it or not it’s not because I’m a raging racist or anti-feminist. Shock horror. I just simply know the Doctor as a caucasian male. I’m fairly confident the same debate doesn’t rage amongst James Bond fans (don’t quote me on that – I could be wrong!)

I suppose with shows like Elementary, the modern U.S adaptation of Sherlock Holmes it’s okay to have Watson as female, as it’s breathing fresh air into an old story, but this is a direct continuation of a narrative that has firmly imprinted in my mind that The Doctor is male. I think after 50 years it’d just be a bit odd to see on screen*, and I hope that’s not viewed as an ancient way of thinking.

(*Unless she’s got smashing tits.)

si
    Participant

I think it’ll be Ian.

srmcd1
    Participant

As long as they’re over forty, I’ll be kosher.

pfm
    Participant

I really really wish Moffat wasn’t casting the 12th and that he was going out with Matt Smith. I just can’t see him casting Damien Moloney, who clearly should be the 12th Doctor…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think I’ll be disappointed if it’s Peter Capaldi….just because so many are banding his name around. I’m hoping for a totally unexpected left field announcement…..like Lenny Henry perhaps

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

According to IMDB Peter Capaldi played W.H.O. Doctor in World War Z…

si
    Participant

Saw a photo of Peter Capaldi with a Billy Connolly-esque Moustache and beard. If he *is* cast, he ahould definitely keep it – great look.

srmcd1
    Participant

I would like it to be someone with a different first name than the other eleven. We’ve had a good running so far without a single first name repeated. Hoping they keep it going.

We already have one perfectly good “Peter”, thankyasoveryverymuchindeedy!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Someone who is going to provoke a reaction, but then ultimately be absolutely amazing.

Srmcd1, have we had a Chiwetel before?

Joey TORDFC
    Participant

I’m still hoping for my beloved James Lance. That dude needs the work.

si
    Participant

Julian Rhind Tutt.

Or a re-regeneration into Paul McGann. That’d please a studio audience.

Personally I hope it’s Boris Johnson

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s that bloke from that thing. You know. Argh…I can’t remember his name.

I’ll be back when I remember it.

si
    Participant

Pete will presumably be remembering on sunday night, probably around quarter past seven.

pfm
    Participant

It’s probably that guy from the BT ads. The one we’re all meant to relate to cause we have a laptop and wifi and stuff and we want to fuck our fit female flatmate…

Connell
    Participant

I loved him in the Goonies.

si
    Participant

Maybe the Doctor could split in two during regeneration, and be played by Vic and Bob. It’d be like Randall and Hopkirk all over again.

>Maybe the Doctor could split in two during regeneration, and be played by Vic and Bob.

You know if that happened he/they would be played by those cunts Ant and Dec.

redhead85
    Participant

“BT ad bloke” aka Daniel Rigby was INCREDIBLE as Eric Morecambe – didn’t he win an award for that? But I feel he’s a little too ‘similar’ to Matt Smith in terms of acting style.

I’ll admit to being luke-warm towards Smith when we initially saw him, but he’s become my favourite doctor to date. I trust them to make a good decision – someone that feels odd at first but when we see them in action, completely and utterly fits the bill.

Otherwise, I reckon it’s Eamonn Holmes.

srmcd1
    Participant

This guy seems to have his own ideas as to who the Doctor is and what he should be. I’m scared because I almost agree with him…

Dr Who? Scary? It is now!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What a huge load of horseshit.

si
    Participant

‘Presented by’ my arse. Zoe Ball’s going to be the next Doctor. Check her birthday.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

What a huge load of horseshit.

Agreed. That post is soaked in cattle urine.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I do not intend to waste the time of my readers by dwelling in detail upon the arguments for and against Transgenderism in a family show like Doctor Who

srmcd1
    Participant

The guy who runs Whopix has always made me feel weird. On the one hand, he’s posted some very bright and insightful stuff that has helped me to look at the show in different ways. He also writes decent fan scripts and is a great fan editor as well. He’s even created a universe where Tom Baker left after four years and was replaced by David Collings, who then met up with the cast from Blake’s 7. YMMV on that one, but you have to admire his dedication. So I have a degree of respect for him.

And then he goes and posts something like that, and I don’t know what to think anymore.

And he’s got a weird obsession with the companion’s breasts, which I guess is a gray area…

Pecospete666
    Participant

Brendan Coyle!

He will play it smug!

Ridley
    Participant

But it’s his show, you guys!

Jo
    Participant

>’Presented by’ my arse. Zoe Ball’s going to be the next Doctor. Check her birthday.

Whoop, looks like I’m in the running then! Also Kelly Brook :-S …and Miley Cyrus :-(

Connell
    Participant

Me and all!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Well, I guess Ori-STUDFARM isn’t very happy.

srmcd1
    Participant

Sooo… We’ve got a second Peter after all…

… But the Doctor’s middle-aged again, so I’m very happy! I love his enthusiasm for the show, and I suspect that Moffat will allow him to keep his natural accent.

si
    Participant

Pete Part Three:
    It’s that bloke from that thing. You know. Argh…

The Thick of It.

Pecospete666
    Participant

So the majority was wrong in the poll!
    He played

2008 Doctor Who (TV series)
    Caecilius
    – The Fires of Pompeii (2008) … Caecilius

JamesTC
    Participant

I was going to make an hilarious satire of all the people criticising it being a “white male” but they are not with dwelling on when this is such a fantastic choice.

Sweary The Thick of It quote with “Dalek” inserted.

si
    Participant

Sort of like this, yeah?

(via @rhysmorgan, Twitter)

NoFro
    Participant

I was gutted when he became the favourite the other day as I hadn’t considered him and was suddenly thinking “He would be fantastic!… But the bookies have probably got it wrong.”

So happy it is him! To anyone who drops out of fandom because he’s not young and hot, I only have this to say: Fuckity bye.

JamesTC
    Participant

Blimey, only just realised he is only a few months short of Hartnell’s age was when he was cast.

JamesTC
    Participant

@si

Is that Rebecca Front as his companion in the background?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The Thick of It

That’s it! P…P…Peter Capaldi.

When do you reckon it will be announced?

Connell
    Participant

Extremely high hopes for this Doc.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I really like the guy, if they can sort of the production issues and serve him up some good scripts things should work out nicely. I’ve a number of slight ‘reservations’ though.

1. Chemistry between Coleman and Capaldi.
    Hopefully they’ve have some because she has bugger all with Smith.

2. No matter how good he is, I think I’ll always see Peter Capaldi first and The Doctor second.
    I hope I’m wrong, but whatever Matt Smith (or for that matter Tennant) turns up in I see The Doctor first and the actor second. (I didn’t see Casanova until after Series 2 and the 11th Hour is probably my favourite ever Who episode).

3. Whether the new global audience is going to really get an ‘elder’ Doctor.
    Probably fretting over nothing, but Ten and Eleven have established a more youthful template.

All said and done though, a fantastic actor has been cast in an iconic part. All that can go wrong now is casting, scripts, production, FX, budget, production…

(Still think Dexter Fletcher was robbed).

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Absolutely delighted with this news.

Peter Capaldi is an actor that I’ve always loved, and I think he’s an inspired choice and will be an excellent Doctor.

I’m going to miss Matt Smith. He’s beguiled me with his Doctor.

Doctor Who is in good hands.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Aww Len!

Ridley
    Participant

Doctor Who is in good hands.

Hope Moffat gets his mojo back. (From November.)

anniescribe
    Participant

Not familiar with this fellow, but it’s good to see an older, wiser type in the role. If I can’t have Chris back.

Connell
    Participant

I’m glad the reveal of Capaldi somewhat took attention away from how diabolical the actual show itself was. What a wasted concept – half rate celebrities getting facts wrong (I’m looking at you Rufus Hound!) stretched out for an agonizing half an hour. The programme could have easily been 3 minutes long and done the same job. Come on beeb, make a bit more effort for the anniversary of one of your flagship shows.

JamesTC
    Participant

To be fair on Rufus Hound, he is a big fan who was just a bit nervous to be there when they were going to announce the next Doctor. He did a blog about it apologising for “Peter Eccleston”.

“He said sorry, lads. Well just to show there’s no hard feelings, here’s one on the house.

Now about this Great Fire of London…”

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I can forgive Hound getting details wrong. I can’t forgive that fucking Keep Calm parody t-shirt, though.

redhead85
    Participant

Yeah the style of the reveal show was a big pile of shite. I much preferred the ‘documentary/celebration’ style of Matt Smith’s reveal show. However, I guess that particular approach worked best for an unknown actor. On a live show, a known and loved actor such as Capaldi was bound to get a “WOOOO HELL YES”. Smith would have just walked out to silence, polite clapping, and a “WHO???”

si
    Participant

When the tickets were being given away for ‘a celebration’ of Doctor Who, I thought it sounded very cheesy. This show was pretty much as the Celebration show would have been, except they just happened to tell us a rather significant casting decision as well.

mick
    Participant

Peter Capaldi and Peter Davidson didn’t look very far away at all age wise which tickled me a little.
    Very excited, I do hope he plays it dark and moody.

Viewing 52 posts - 1 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.