Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Dr Parnassus

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    hummingbird
    Participant

Would I be correct in thinking that there’s one or two Terry Gilliam fans on this board?
    Excited much about Dr Parnassus?

My top 5 Gilliam films (non-Python)
    1. Brazil
    2. The Fisher King
    3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    4. 12 Monkeys
    5. The Brothers Grimm / Baron Munchausen

Jo
    Participant

I really want to see the new film. Perhaps a London based G&T outing could be arranged?

Kris Carter
    Participant

12 Monkeys rules all!

TheLeen
    Participant

Brazil > 12 Monkeys > rest > Grimm

… and yes, I’m looking forward to seeing the new one.

TheLeen
    Participant

(delete)

Alex
    Participant

I’m very eager to see it, though that does have a lot to do with Tom Waits being in it.

Jonathan Ross thought it was a bit of a mess but an unmissable one. You could describe pretty much every Gilliam film in that way, so I’m pleased with that and can’t wait to see it. If it’s better than Baron Munchausen then I’ll be happy.

Dave
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to this.

Top 5 Terry
    1 – The Fisher King
    2 – Brazil
    3 – 12 Monkeys
    4 – Lost In La Mancha
    5 – Jabberwocky

Dave
    Participant

>4 – Lost In La Mancha

Alright technically in this he’s less a director and really more of a star

Pete Part Three
    Participant

12 Monkeys is fucking awesome. One of the smartest sci-fi films ever.

ChrisM
    Participant

Interesting new poster I found on Den of Geek.

Hellooo nurse! Another ginger cutie. And some other interesting stuff.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> really want to see the new film. Perhaps a London based G&T outing could be arranged?

*cries*

ChrisM
    Participant

>I really want to see the new film. Perhaps a London based G&T outing could be arranged?

I’m based in London. I might be up for that. (Thanks Karl, I missed that in all the other posts. Hee, hee.)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Hellooo nurse! Another ginger cutie. And some other interesting stuff.

I don’t like Lily Cole. She looks too uncomfortably like a weird overgrown child.

ChrisM
    Participant

>I don?t like Lily Cole. She looks too uncomfortably like a weird overgrown child.

Her face is a little strange, (which makes her fit the role all the better, I think). I think she is attractive though.

Blisschick
    Participant

The Fisher King is one of my all-time favorite movies. I put this on Netflix the other day and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning watching it. I don’t know why I don’t own it already. :/ I’m an idiot.

I’m actually excited most of all about seeing Tom Waits being Mr Nick. I’ve been a fan of his music for a loooong time.

Alex
    Participant

I?m actually excited most of all about seeing Tom Waits being Mr Nick. I?ve been a fan of his music for a loooong time.

Agreed. He’s one of my favourite artists, especially ‘Heart of Saturday Night’, ‘Heartattack & Vine’ and ‘Mule Variations’. One of the songs on our next album is written as a sort of tribute to Tom Waits. I can’t think of anyone better to play the Devil in this to be honest. Incidently, it’s worth looking at an artist called Martin Harley on his site or on youtube performing ‘Chocolate Jesus’. It’s approved by Waits and it fantastic.

Thanks I’m going to check it out now.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I love Timebandits. Really looking forward to this one as well.

Dessie
    Participant

I’m off to see this now!

hummingbird
    Participant

I might try and see it tonight or tomorrow … if I can take time out from dimantling the kitchen. :-/

Dessie
    Participant

Well that was absolutely fantastic! I haven’t enjoyed a film that much for a long time.

Jo
    Participant

>if I can take time out from dimantling the kitchen. :-/

I have images of you covering your kitchen with diamant?s. Sparkly :o)

hummingbird
    Participant

What a lovely idea!
    Either that or I need to enable the spellchecker on this thing.

hummingbird
    Participant

That film was absolutely bloody brilliant!
    When I first heard about Depp/Law/Farrell stepping into the Heath Ledger role to complete the movie I admit that I was a little bemused at how that would work. But it does work, seamlessly.

I won’t say more for fear of spoiling anyone XD

Jo
    Participant

Anyone in the London area fancy going to see this on Orange Wednesday?
    Also, anyone with an Orange phone fancy giving us a 241 code? :o)

Dave
    Participant

I can do Wednesday but I’m not on Orange

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster
    Gwynnie
    Participant

Anyone in Manchester wanna go see?

Alex
    Participant

Just got back from seeing it and it is fantastic and wonderfully surreal (and Tom Waits was great as always, I can’t think of anyone who would have been better in the role of Mr Nick).

hummingbird
    Participant

Tom Waits was just wonderful. Perfect.
    Christopher Plummer gves a hell of a performance too. How long is it since we’ve seen him in a leading role?

There’s a nice little interview with Terry G on the BBC news site
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8311126.stm

Gwynnie
    Participant

Is it bad that the main reason I want to see it is for the high concentration of hot? I KNOW Heath Ledger is dead, but… well, he was hot. Hell, even Christomer Plummer had a smouldering attractiveness about him in the Sound of Music…

hummingbird
    Participant

Depp and Law have always been a little too pretty for my taste, although I love Depp as an actor. Farrell is far more appealing. But the only time I’ve really fancied the the pants off Heath Ledger was in Brothers Grimm when he was just so deliciously geeky 8D

Andrew
    Participant

Law’s becoming more interesting as his looks age and move towards somethIng less pretty. He’s positively goggle-eyed and thinning in Breaking and Entering, and for the first time I found him really relatable. Strong performance and a good script helped, of course…

Gwynnie
    Participant

Ah, he’s pretty, way too poncy for me really but I like him in some films. Depp is just Depp, skinny as he may be, he’s just got something about him. And Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You… yes.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Right, saw this tonight. It’s far from great, but it’s always a treat watching a Gilliam film as you can never quite be sure what you’ll be looking at next. That said it’s still some way from his best.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Well, I’ve seen it now! It’s very pretty, but I didn’t really know what to think! What’s it based on? Might have to read that first.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I wasn’t aware it was based on anything. It just seemed a nice excuse for Terry Gilliam to create some amazing visuals.

Dave
    Participant

Exclusive Scoop In Today’s Metro:

Terry Gilliam is not as tall as Lily Cole

Ah thank God, I was worried for a moment there.

Dave
    Participant

I’ve just seen this, I thought it was great. Andrew Garfield is definitely the unsung hero of it and uncomfortably Johnny Depp is a better Ledger than Ledger.

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.