DVD Details Articles

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum DVD Details Articles

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Warbofrog 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Ben Kirkham

In preparation to the Blu-ray release of 1-VIII, I wanted to go back and have a look at these brilliant articles that ran on the official site, detailing the creation of the original Red Dwarf DVDs, but they seem to have disappeared. Anyone got a link to them?

Dave

You can start here:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2002/04/19/dvd-plans-unveiled/

And follow the links at the bottom of the page for more articles on the individual features.

Ben Kirkham

Excellent, thank you!

Dave

You’re welcome. It’s encouraged me to have a look back through them too.

The DVDs really were great releases – crazy that you can pick them up so cheap these days.

Warbofrog

They were real events, especially as I only had a few videos and no digital repeat marathons so was getting to own most of the series for the first time, and seeing a lot of episodes for just the second time ever (subsequently overwatched before the next release). It was nice to take the time to get immersed in each individual series, and the contrasting glimpse of future series in those music montages was exciting.

That wouldn’t work nowadays with ubiquitous media, unless you were patiently self-regulating which I would not have done.

Dave

Yes, it’s interesting how significant they were for a particular generation of fans.

I was probably the generation behind that – I missed the first few series when they originally aired so seeing them on the big repeat run felt like a glimpse back at these unknown treasures. And then the VHSs came out and made them all accessible (for a while, anyway).

I wonder if there’s a generation of fans who will see it all for the first time on Blu-Ray? Certainly there’s a current bunch of people who have become fans through Netflix.

International Debris

I got my first laptop with a DVD drive in late 2003 and picked up a couple of movies to try it out, but the first three Dwarf DVDs were my first proper ‘I have to get that!’ purchases. Once I’d been through the countless extras (how spoilt we were – almost all DVDs since have been a disappointment in comparison) I followed those DVD news updates on the site weekly for the next few years. It was always exciting to get the cover, or the lowdown on some intriguing new extra. Looking forward to something hopefully similar for the BluRay box in the coming weeks.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

In that very first update, we’re promised original commentaries from “Doug and – hopefully – Rob, directors and other crew members”. We sort of got that in the end, but not until Bodysnatcher, a release which I very much doubt would have been even considered at that stage.

Ben Kirkham

How things change. Ross McGinley was in charge of the BBC DVD range back then, I believe, and it was a golden age for BBC DVDs. The League of Gentlemen DVDs (especially the Christmas Special) were exemplary. When the latest series was released, it was a vanilla release with no thought put into it. Just seems so slapdash and sloppy now, even down to the point of the Doctor Who Series 10 boxset not giving any indication whatsoever of what is on each disc, and fans having to create their own leaflet. Very sad.

What shines through from these articles is the craftsmanship and sheer enthusiasm for the project, particularly from Andrew Ellard, whose articles are entertaining and informative.

Plastic Percy

I remember there was a plan early on for the covers to repeat – that Red Dwarf IV would have the red cover, V would have the blue cover, VI would have the green cover etc. – that never thankfully happened.

Didn’t someone on here do an article outlining what we would have got if the BBC released them – i.e. those horrible, first generation DVDs with white template covers with no extras, and how they’d have probably released the Re-Mastered editions instead of the proper ones.

Ben Paddon

Just seems so slapdash and sloppy now, even down to the point of the Doctor Who Series 10 boxset not giving any indication whatsoever of what is on each disc, and fans having to create their own leaflet. Very sad.

The US release has the edge there, for what feels like the first time – they continued the trend of having episode titles around the rim of the disc (careful now). I did buy the UK set though, both for the superior cover art and better picture quality, so I need to make my own leaflet too.

Is there a leaflet on the internet that can be downloaded, or do I have to make my own?

bloodteller

The brilliant quality and sheer amount of content on the 1-8 DVDs makes the XI-XII DVDs feel like a downgrade in quality, to be honest. The amount of Deleted Scenes that weren’t included, the steelbook fuckup, no amusing chapter titles, no animated menus and no collecter’s booklet with amusing and/or interesting trivia written by Andrew Ellard.

I don’t mean to say the XI-XII DVDs are awful, mind. They could have been a lot worse, and it’s great that we still got new documentaries and raw model footage and all that stuff, since you’d likely not get that much stuff on most modern DVDS. But it does feel like a bit of a letdown and that there wasn’t as much care and love put into them as there was in the 1-8 ones

Warbofrog

Did Ellard’s booklet notes contain anything divisive or plain wrong? I gave the DVDs away when I left the country years ago, so don’t have access.

The main points I remember striking me at the time (as someone who already knew the standard trivia via the 90s guides) were him pointing out how Rimmer was changed to become suddenly massively nerdy in IV, which I hadn’t clocked before but is glaring when you watch in order, and raising the issue of some people considering VI to be the start of the downfall, which was a shock to me as that was my nostalgic childhood favourite, but I started to see what he meant with the weaker episodes.

Bargain Bin Holly

For me the series went downhill after they killed-off most of the cast and only kept the characters nobody really liked. Thought VIII was were the cast was back on proper form, some of the most memorable and beloved episodes that series.

International Debris

Didn’t someone on here do an article outlining what we would have got if the BBC released them – i.e. those horrible, first generation DVDs with white template covers with no extras, and how they’d have probably released the Re-Mastered editions instead of the proper ones.

I remember that mock-up cover, and it still gives me shivers. Someone post it and scare other people with it.

International Debris

International Debris

Ben Kirkham

Ben Paddon- courtesy of a gentleman named Matthew Purchase

https://goo.gl/images/m94S8i

Ben Kirkham

We are *so* lucky with the DVDs, aren’t we? Bloody hell. That mock-up cover above makes my skin crawl at the thought of what could have been.

Piplup2003

‘The League of Gentlemen DVDs (especially the Christmas Special) were exemplary. When the latest series was released, it was a vanilla release with no thought put into it. ‘

Oh God, tell me about it. The anniversary specials are the only LOG series I don’t have on DVD as there’s absolutely no point of me having it as I can get the exact same content on the iPlayer. Heck, even the pantomime had deleted scenes, would it have been that hard just to give us a few deleted scenes (surely theres at least one), or even a photo gallery?

Ben Saunders

Red Dwarf DVDs were amongst the first I had when I was young, along with like, Revenge of the Sith which was also packed with extras. Most other DVDs have been massive let-downs ever since, although the Doctor Who range kept itself to a -fairly- high standard, most of the time. Most of the episodes had nice little documentaries on how the episodes were made, interviewing cast and crew, although a handful didn’t, and some of the documentaries are just them interviewing the lighting guy and the man who holds the boom for forty minutes which is a bit of a step down from having Tom and Lis and everybody.

GlenTokyo

>just them interviewing the lighting guy and the man who holds the boom for forty minutes

Not a fan of the XII Blu-ray then? haha

Ben Paddon

Red Dwarf I was the very first DVD I owned – purchased before I even had a DVD player of my own – and the quantity of special feratures absolutely blew me away. Those I-VIII sets, along with the bulk of classic Doctor Who stuff, set a gold standard for me that few releases have ever been able to live up to.

MANI506

I lapped up those DVD updates and I also bought the series 1 DVD before I had a player. It’s so weird I didn’t know about G&T until 2009 despite really enjoying TM:YNYN. Depending on what the extras are I may have to buy the Blu Ray despite not having a player.

quinn_drummer

Being born 3 months before The End was broadcast, I have vague memories of watching it quite young, but only really getting into it in the late 90s when I was 10/11 years old.

There was so much I still hadn’t seen by the time the DVDs rolled around (I’d spent a good bit of the early 00s trying to collect up the VHS but by then it was very much a case of find several copies of series 1 and 2 at car boots and hardly no series 6 etc) so I too lapped up all the updates, would go out day of release to HMV or Woolworths or wherever was close to where I was and bought them, rushed home and watched through EVERYTHING in one sitting.

It seems strange that we basically spent 4 years doing that, they started to be released whilst I was at school and series 8 was released when I had been working a couple of years. Such a large chunk of my formative years made up following the Red Dwarf DVD releases. 2 a year, with a short gap between releases then a very large one which was always frustrating, but enjoyable none the less.

Will never really experience anything like that again I don’t think.

International Debris

Man, going out to buy DVDs on their release date. I always used to do that. There was a great period in the mid ’00s when a bunch of unfairly ignored started coming out quite regularly – 15 Storeys High, World of Pub, How Do You Want Me, Hippies, The Armando Iannuci Shows, etc. – and Red Dwarf and One Foot in the Grave were enjoyable regulars.

Comedy was a much bigger part of my life back then.

Warbofrog

It was the same story for me, quinn_drummer, but only a three-year period as I wilfully ignored the VII & VIII releases. I finally picked them up in a sale a few years later when I was about to donate all my DVDs to a friend so she wouldn’t have an incomplete ‘Red Dwarf’ legend on the shelf, and just watched all the extras.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.