Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum End of the World or just baseless fears

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Tonguetied
    Participant

You’ve probably heard these silly rumors about the World ending recently. And you’ll probably curse me for bringing it up on Ganymede and Titan. I head about this fascinating experiment a few years ago, and it was delayed, and so it’s back and according to this article, there are some possible threats. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article1630897.ece

Anyway, I thought that I’d heard the last of it a in 2006, but assuming that these fears are right, and in 5 days, the whole planet is eaten by millions of growing black holes, (sound’s a bit like a Dwarf plot) well I’d like to say it’s been a pleasure knowing you all and this brilliant Red Dwarf fansite(Which is undoubtedly the biggest and best).
    ”I’ve come to regard you all as people I’d met….well online anyway.”

Baz
    Participant

Well seeing as how countless particle collision events of this level of power or even higher have been taking place for billions of years as cosmic rays smash into Earth’s upper atmosphere, I’m not really worried.

Sounds like the plot to “Doomwatch- Winter Angel” doesn’t it.

Phil
    Participant

I’m of the opinion that the world ended January 1, 2000. Welcome to Hell, bitches!

That would explain so much.

Baz
    Participant
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

After watching the Republican conference last night, I think I’m starting to like the idea of being sucked into a black hole through my arse.

hummingbird
    Participant

Bring it on, I say.

Why did you have to post this? Shit like this really scares me. I’m a fuck up…I know.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Sod it, flip the switch and see what happens. What a cool way to go.

Pete…I demand you investigate what will happen!

Jonsmad
    Participant

Sounds like the plot of a dwarf or doomwatch you say…

Well it’s the plot of an episode of Torchwood, due to air on radio, the same
    day as the experiment.

Dave
    Participant

>You?ve probably heard these silly rumors about the World ending recently

It didn’t?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Speaking theoretically, if they do create a black hole. I would rather existence be wiped out by scientists doing something clever, rather than blowing ourselves up with nuclear devices. And then we’d all feel the gloriousness of being a singularity…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

You aleady are one glorious hole, Danny.

Rad
    Participant

Speaking of holes, what is great about quite a few apocalypses is that going down one for a while gives you a better chance of surviving. This black hole one would really suck. Interesting way to die though. We’d probably have a greater understanding of the universe before our deaths.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Can Iain Lee have a seperate singularity though. please.

Phil
    Participant

I hope it gives me a bigger dick.

pfm
    Participant

If there was any chance of it killing us all they wouldn’t be doing it.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

What about bombs…

Phil
    Participant

That’s my favorite Bill Murray movie.

philmyer92
    Participant

>If there was any chance of it killing us all they wouldn?t be doing it.

They apprenatly don’t know what will happen but they predict that it will recreate conditions during the big bang and to me that makes it sound like we are gonna get blown up. Therefore i was right to not get too excited about new dwarf.

cliff
    Participant

………End of the world!, damn should have booked ther day off! should at least get a lie in!.

…think i’d do the whole ‘Groundhog Day’ thing and just go mental punching people in the face that annoy me, eating whole cake selections in cafe’s and robbing the odd bag of coins from securicor vans, think i’ll stop at calving Andie Mcdowell out of ice!.

Cliff

Dave
    Participant

>i?ll stop at calving Andie Mcdowell

Is that a bovine-related sexual practice I’m not familiar with?

Phil
    Participant

If you have to ask, Dave, you’ll never know.

I mentioned this at work and I wish I never had now…one of the lads actually cried….I shit you not.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Do you work on the Samaritans switchboard?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Don’t cross the streams.

“I’m fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, ‘bad’?”
    “Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.”
    “Total protonic reversal.”
    “Ok, that’s bad. Important safety tip.”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m expecting dogs and cats living together…mass hysteria!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t exactly class a scientist creating the Big Bang as a disaster of “biblical proportions” though.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Quite. The very antithesis.

Phil
    Participant

If we all die tomorrow morning, I want you to know that I never liked any of you. Not even a little.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Are they going to televise it? I’d like to see this…

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

If anything happens, I want you to know that I’ve come to regard you as people I… hate.

> Are they going to televise it? I?d like to see this?

You’ll be able to get the DVD…Just the Apocalypse

Phil
    Participant

Followed a few years later by an identical All the Apocalypse with an anniversary logo.

Ben Paddon
    Participant
    Antipodean
    Participant

Morbo says: “BLACK HOLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!”

Gravitational pull of one object on another depends on 2 things: its mass and proximity of the two objects. The reason why black holes have such strong gravity at their event horizon is because the objects that they suck in are much closer to their centre of gravity than they could be if it weren’t so compressed.

So, for example, if the Sun suddenly became a black hole then the Earth wouldn’t get sucked in, but would continue to orbit normally around it. However, an object would be able to approach much closer to the black-hole-that-was-the-Sun’s centre of gravity and therefore would experience a much more massive gravitational pull and get sucked in. Similarly, if you make a small amount of matter into a tiny microscopic black hole then the black hole will be absolutely harmless to the world, and will only suck in things that get close enough to it (which would again be a microscopic distance).

So, in summary, the world’s not going to end. Brought to you by a high school physics student and Phil Plait fan.

Baz
    Participant

Updates on progress here- http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/

Apparently one of the scientists has just said “Oops!”

(joke)

Oh, and I am amused by the Torchwood radio drama tie-in. Wonder who thought of that?

Phil
    Participant

>Morbo says: ?BLACK HOLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!?

Kiss me.

hummingbird
    Participant

Are we all still here then?
    Damn.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Well, today they’ve only been testing the sending round of the beams. It wont be for a few days until they actually do the colliding and we’ll all be judged by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Argh! The world has ended!

Only joking.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

we?ll all be judged by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Cheers Cappsy, you just gave me the biggest laugh of the evening.

ChrisM
    Participant

>http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/Hadron-Big-Bang-experiment-to-tak…

That was brilliant!

peas_and_corn
    Participant

>http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

And the very similar

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

I know this is also likely to interest the G&T regulars. (Look closely at the link. It might not be safe for work, depending on where you work.)

pfm
    Participant

It’s next year when the world could end. That’s when they crank everything up to full, apparently. It would be funny of these collisions resulted in the development of a weapon 10,000 times the potential power of the hydrogen bomb. Funny for no-one.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I might chuckle.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.