Familiar sound effects used in Red Dwarf?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Familiar sound effects used in Red Dwarf?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Muller 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

ori-STUDFARM

I was just watching BtE and noticed that the blaster sound effect in the part 1 diving bell scene is the same one that is used in the garbage chute scene in Star Wars.

It reminded me to check out something a friend told me about the series 3 onwards theme music. The sound used just as the music and drums kicks in is the same sound from Empire Strikes Back as Luke crashes his X-Wing onto Dagobah.

Does anyone know of the origins of any other Red Dwarf sound effects?

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

I have been trying to get hold of an interview with Jem Whippey et al for an article, so I’ll be keeping a really beady eye on this thread.

All i’ve found out is that the engine hum of the ship sounds like a WWII Spitfire or Luftwaffe in flight when sped up an octave…

ori-STUDFARM

You can compare the Dagobah crash/Series III intro sound effect on these two clips.

At about 1:55 on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWf4Hd1M_M
    and the start of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSxN1souf2U

Danny Stephenson

G&T Admin

Fucking hell! YES! I’d forgotten abotu that one now i’ve heard it. I think it Star Wars might have been on TV and my ears pricked up when that came on.

Either

1) It’s a Star Wars sound effect created by Ben Burtt that got lifted and put into Red Dwarf, as a homage. Possible. Cheeky, but possible.

2) It’s a stock sound effect. That just happened to be used in two science fiction-related things.

3) Something else.

But cheers for reminding me of that.

I’m wondering whether there actually is anything to the sound effects of Red Dwarf. I always wanted a documentary off-shoot that concentrated on them, but thinking about it logically, a series like Red Dwarf, that had a limited budget and no credited sound designer…

I just might have to resign to the fact that there may be nothing to it. But there is always the possibility that Jem or one of the other editors could have been budding Delia Derbyshire’s that were wizards at messing with sounds to create new ones for Red Dwarf.

That said there does seem to be a unique sound signature to series 3 4 and 5 that I’ve not found in any sound libraries (I’ve raked through 100s of them).

Still looking,

Obviously if anyone has any suggestions as to who to possibly contact, it would make a rather fitting future Dwarfcast Special.

John Hoare

G&T Admin

The first episode of Hippies has a GIGANTIC FAN which, when first turned on, sounds exactly like Starbug taking off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMC0ANQBnWc#t=8m50s

Spare Hand One

The sound used just as the music and drums kicks in

That sound effect always appealed to me and while, with hindsight, it’s probably supposed to be the sound of a thruster, I liked to think of it being the sound of a stasis booth door opening.

My headcanon once upon a time was that the adventures we see on-screen are Lister’s most eventful days between periods of stasis on the way back to Earth.

Dax101

Alot of series 3 sound effects are from Empire Strikes Back

The daogaba crash and Imperial Walkers falling to the ground has the fruster sound effect Red Dwarf uses

The side effects of doors opening and close are the same used in Series 3

Apparently the lightsaber buzzing noise is the same thats used for the heat seeker energy bolts in polymorph

I think some of these may have been used in series 4 and 5, maybe 6 and 7 too.

Ben Saunders

The BBC will have access to a sfx library, although which one I don’t know. You can hear a lot of re-used sound effects in Who, Dwarf etc if you’re listening out for them. Some sound effects from Doctor Who are in Half-Life, and the door opening sound effect from Doom 2 is used in a heck of a lot of sci-fi.

GlenTokyo

It’d be interesting to rewatch some Gerry Anderson or anything pre Star Wars really and see if any familiar sounds turn up there too.

I’ve hear that Dagobah/ Starbug noise in other stuff too because it’s caught my ear but off the top of my head I can’t think what.

Me Own Stunts

The skutter clapping in Back to Earth uses the sound of the Cyberman head moving around in the series 5 Doctor Who finale.

Plastic Percy

Not Red Dwarf, but the noise the mechanical doors make on the base in Aliens are the same as the mechanical doors in The Prisoner.

Hamish

I hear the sound of a door opening and closing whenever I open or close a door.

Amazing that.

Mr-Stabby

>The BBC will have access to a sfx library, although which one I don’t know. You can hear a lot of re-used sound effects in Who, Dwarf etc if you’re listening out for them. Some sound effects from Doctor Who are in Half-Life, and the door opening sound effect from Doom 2 is used in a heck of a lot of sci-fi.

There’s a lot of cross-polination of Sound effects in TV, film and games. Just listen to the panels exploding on the bridge of the original Starship enterprise and you’ll also hear the sound of lightsabers in Star Wars bashing against each other.

Mr-Stabby

And those same sound effects are used in Half Life too actually!

Dave

I hear this one in sci-fi stuff all the time. I’m sure it’s been in Red Dwarf (although right now I’m struggling to remember where).

https://youtu.be/42VzY7xGiJI

I most associate it with the Doom 2 Icon of Sin.

Paul Muller

This TOS interview with Sound Supervisor Keith Mayes has some nice details.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/features/interviews/keith-mayes/

“All those spaceship noises were jet fighters slowed down, speeded up, added effects.”

No surprise there – I’m almost certain there’s a bit of Harrier jet in a lot of the Starbug landings/takeoffs.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.