Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Fav Twilight Zone show original series

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Pecospete666
    Participant

Fav Twilight Zone show original series

Mine was “To Serve Man”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734684/

Phil
    Participant

A Stop at Willoughby.

I used to watch these as a child with my father, and while some were spooky and some were silly and some were off-the-wall crazy, this one dug itself in deep. Such a quiet and unassuming little vignette, but it’s stayed with me and is still one of the most affecting things I’ve ever seen on television. There’s a personal aspect to my love for it…but with a show that dug as deeply as Twilight Zone did into the human mind and heart, I think that’s fitting.

I saw An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge much later, but that one had a huge impact on me as well, especially as a writer. Though I think that’s cheating, as it was a short film or something re-edited to be a Twilight Zone episode, if I remember correctly. Nevertheless, it slots in perfectly alongside the best stuff the show ever did.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Very tough question to answer, such is the quality. At the moment, I’d say ‘The Midnight Sun’.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

A Stop at Willoughby.

anniescribe
    Participant

That fucking hitchhiker one. I saw it the first time when I was 11 – I was watching it at night and my damn mother, who’d been gone to the store, drove up quietly and saw through the window I was watching it and of course recognized it. And so she sneaked to the window and tapped at it at a bad moment, and then I couldn’t watch it again for a few years. It still gives me the willies to watch it.

Phil
    Participant

are you stalking me ian, is this how you treat people on your forum, can you even do a split

JamesTC
    Participant

The Masks and Uncle Simon. Can’t really explain why. They’re two of the simplest Twilight Zone episodes but the writing really pushes them above the rest for me.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

The Hitch Hiker is brilliant, and has one of the greatest endings of any story ever.

“I believe you’re going… my way?”

Blisschick
    Participant

Of course the Shatner one…that little man on the wing creeped the Bejeezus outta me.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The Shatner ep is the only one I’ve ever seen. I plan to rectify this some day.

JamesTC
    Participant

Shatner was in two episodes…

He was in Richard Matheson’s Nick of Time and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. I prefer Nick of Time, if I’m honest.

anniescribe
    Participant

Of course, the best use of The Shat and that wing episode was when he guested in “Third Rock” as the Big Giant Head and they asked him how his flight was. He answered something about this thing out on the wing … and Dick (John Lithgow, who was in the remake of that TZ some 30 years later) replies, “I had the same thing happen to me!”

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

>The Shatner ep is the only one I’ve ever seen. I plan to rectify this some day.

Start here:

or see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You’d love it, Ben. The blu rays are just stunning.

si
    Participant

Thanks to Anniescribe, I now understand a joke that’s taken me about 16 years to get.

anniescribe
    Participant

I live to serve …

Blisschick
    Participant

>>Shatner was in two episodes…

I don’t recall seeing the other one, so my response may be a wee bit biased.

Pecospete666
    Participant

The one in the dinner with the fortune telling devil and the plane!

Pecospete666
    Participant

I think I paid 50$ for this set!
    Still find episodes I have never seen!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

>A Stop at Willoughby. I used to watch these as a child with my father, and while some were spooky and some were silly and some were off-the-wall crazy, this one dug itself in deep. Such a quiet and unassuming little vignette, but it’s stayed with me and is still one of the most affecting things I’ve ever seen on television. There’s a personal aspect to my love for it…but with a show that dug as deeply as Twilight Zone did into the human mind and heart, I think that’s fitting.

Well said, Phil. I used to watch ‘A Stop At Willoughby’ an awful lot when I was having a really bad time at work. I think we’ve all wanted to escape like that at some point. The ambiguous ending is the icing on the cake for me. The gorgeous ‘Walking Distance’ has a similar effect on me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.