Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Fist of Fun series 1 – the best DVD ever?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

This:

http://www.richardherring.com/archive/downloads.php?5350759

The cover is lovely (but I think the copy could do with some work – deleting the word “banter” and never, ever using it again should be the first thing they do), but just look at that list of extras. Having un-broadcast pilots is rare enough but 272 minutes of studio rushes? I’m not sure if I want to be delighted or terrified at the prospect of watching it all.

Those who’ve been following Richard Herring during the development of this will know it’s quite a financial risk as it is due to the cost of buying the rights, but then going ahead to make the fullest DVD set as possible with four (FOUR) discs is astonishing. I’m not sure if that’s turned it into more or less of a risk, but it does seem like madness. Glorious, wonderful madness.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I’ll fist you if you’re not careful.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Promises, promises.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

It’s banter, Cappsy. Harmless banter.

I think this is a case of them spending such a ridiculous amount of money on the rights, that they’ve dumped everything on there with little attention to quality control. Am a huge fan of the show but there’s no way I’ll make it through over 4 hours of rushes.

Guaranteed buy from me, though.

Although I think series 2 was better. I know Rich and Stew preferred the first one, but I think 2 is far more polished.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Am a huge fan of the show but there’s no way I’ll make it through over 4 hours of rushes.

It’s definitely an odd decision. I’m not sure whether I’m delighted or whether I would prefer it if they were more carefully selected and presented. Then again, that would probably cost more time and money than just sticking them all on a disc. That’s the thing with Go Faster Stripe, they certainly like including as much stuff as possible but they’re not so hot on presenting it.

> Although I think series 2 was better. I know Rich and Stew preferred the first one, but I think 2 is far more polished.

I agree. It’s only been a couple of years since I last watched it all, and I definitely thought series 2 was funnier, with the exception of Peter who was played a bit too ‘weird’ for my liking.

JamesTC
    Participant

Everybody needs to buy a copy so they make money and can buy the rights off the BBC to also release the even better TMWRNJ (TMWRNJ).

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> TMWRNJ

This will also include John Hoare’s face.

John Hoare
    Participant

I’ve said before that whilst I understand why they are rarely released, I would watch endless rushes footage if it was released.

Looks like I’m about to be called on it…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I think it helps that it seems to be only studio rushes, so whatever was done to keep the audience entertained will provide enough interest to keep watching them. I can imagine Herring being particularly good at that.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Then again, I would like to see the odd bit of location footage in there.

pfm
    Participant

The TMWRNJ wikipedia page reads…

Unfortunately, the master tapes of some episodes were lost by the BBC, making repeats of the series or a DVD release unlikely”

Is that right??

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I don’t think so and Herring’s certainly not mentioned any such difficulty.

In fact, for a time the wiki said : “Despite rumours that the original tapes had been misplaced by the BBC, the series does in fact exist in full in the BBC archives, however, due to the topical nature of much of the material on the show, the chances of it receiving either a commercial release or a repeat run are slim”

Preferred Fist of Fun slightly. TMWRNJ probably suffered from the longer running time and the lengthier series runs. Stuff like The Organ Gang was more smart than funny and should have probably only ran for a few episodes, in rotation with the other repeated sketches. The second series of that is better too, especially when they dropped the rather dire interview segments which clearly neither Rich nor Stew were comfortable with.

Up there with Angel in “Shows that desperately needed another series”.

pfm
    Participant

You get the feeling that the show upset someone at the BBC. :P

John Hoare
    Participant

As I recall, Stew spread the “TMWRNJ missing master tapes” rumour when he tried – and failed – to get hold of some material for a showreel. He’s since retracted it, and the BBC hold each episode in full.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>You get the feeling that the show upset someone at the BBC. :P

Jane Root, mainly.

JamesTC
    Participant

I asked Richard on twitter a month or so back about TMWRNJ, he said Stew was wrong and the BBC have full tapes.

> Up there with Angel in “Shows that desperately needed another series”.

You haven’t read the Officially-Canon comics? They’re pretty awesome tbh.

JamesTC
    Participant
    JamesTC
    Participant

It was officially out yesterday. Mine arrived today.

Everybody buy it now. Now have your weak lemon drink.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.