Guest actors that they wanted but couldn't get?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Guest actors that they wanted but couldn't get?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  si 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

By Jove its holmes

Seb P., Apart from Graham Chapman, were there any guest actors that were considered for a role but when they did an availability check, the actor was unable to do it?

flanl3

I think they wanted Adolf Hitler back in his character’s two later appearances.

Jawscvmcdia

Alexandra Pigg was supposed to be the Kochanski in the original series, but they couldn’t get her back when the show was remounted.

bloodteller

todhunter was supposed to come back for series VIII but robert bathurst was doing something else

Ridley

Is your name Seb P?

flanl3

Is your name Seb P?

Ben Saunders

Is your name Seb P?

Seb Patrick

Yes.

Pete Part Three

Seb P., when are you going to update the Blue Midget page?

bloodteller

Seb P. Parts One, Two and Three

cwickham

Why weren’t three different people asking “Is your name Seb P?” combined into one, though?

Ben Saunders

Wait for the Director’s Cut

flanl3

It was a valid reference, just not one that worked very well in text.

Anyways, to answer your question, they tried to get Seb P in every episode, but he was always unavailable.

clem

When Kryten is restored to factory settings in VIII, at one point the idea was that David Ross would provide the voice. I don’t know whether it got as far as actually trying to get him though.

MANI506

Brian May. Or he may not.

Lily

>It was a valid reference, just not one that worked very well in text.

Reference was on point. Worked fine.

Darrell

Clare Grogan in the Stasis Leak studio shoot.
    Mark Williams in Back In The Red.
    Norman Lovett in Back To Earth.
    Chloe Annett in Entangled.

Also, they nearly couldn’t get Robert Llewellyn for series 3. That’s why they had John Sparkes on standby as a failsafe (and I sometimes wonder if that was the reason they booked Gordon Kennedy as Hudzen 10…)

bloodteller

>Chloe Annett in Entangled

what?

quinn_drummer

The chimp was meant to be Kochanski, but it didn’t work out so when it is returned to being a woman it ends up being Irene, an ending Doug had to rush and rewrite along with most of Dear Dave to account for the lack of Kochanski hence it being a shit show of an episode.

International Debris

Dear Dave’s loss is XI/XII’s gain. I cannot see Kochanski working in the current version of the show.

bloodteller

>The chimp was meant to be Kochanski

are you sure? in the X Documentary they explain the original idea was that the chimp would stay a chimp for the rest of the episode, and Rimmer found out it was very intelligent and tried to use it to pass his exams or something. but apparently actors in chimp suits can only work 45 minutes at a time, so they had to quickly rewrite it as turning back into a human.

bloodteller

idk maybe it was meant to be Kochanski and i just never heard about it, but the story on the documentary is definitely that the professor was to remain a chimp

Ben Saunders

I heard that originally it was supposed to be Kochanski behind the door or something, but perhaps that was just wild speculation.

Actors in chimp suits can only work for 45 minutes but old Bobby Llew can work day in day out for weeks, shameful x

(I have no idea how difficult being in a chimp suit is, maybe it’s horrible)

Pete Part Three

>Actors in chimp suits can only work for 45 minutes

Which is 45 minutes longer than the idea works for.

quinn_drummer

Oh yeah, maybe I’m getting the two stories confused. But either way, the many references to finding Kochanski earlier in the series were meant to pay off with them actually finding her in the back end of the series.

Dave

I thought the suggestion in the documentary was that it was originally due to be Kochanski in the stasis booth, then they made it a chimp, then they had to add a human after the chimp restrictions became clear.

International Debris

Pretty sure the Kochanski plot strand had to be scrapped when the series was cut from eight episodes to six, but the rest of Entangled was salvaged and given a different ending. And then the working issue required another rewrite at the last minute.

Ben Saunders

>when the series was cut from eight episodes to six
    ????

Ben Saunders

I know they cut location filming etc but didn’t know they were going to make eight episodes. where are you getting this information from, i don’t remember it being in We’re Smegged

Warbodog

It’s the old, old story. Crew’s supposed to find Kochanski, Kochanski becomes chimpanzee. Doug loses chimpanzee. Chimpanzee becomes woman, woman trips out of airlock and amusingly dies in cold vacuum of space. It’s a classic tale.

NoFro

Warbodog wins the thread.

quinn_drummer

I’m actually in tears reading that Warbodog. Well done.

Pete Part Three

I nominate Warbodog’s post for Hall of Fame status.

International Debris

I know they cut location filming etc but didn’t know they were going to make eight episodes. where are you getting this information from, i don’t remember it being in We’re Smegged

I’m not sure anymore, but I’m almost 100% certain it’s the case.
    It’s probably bollocks now I’ve said that.

Ben Saunders

I think in We’re Smegged, Doug says “we lost two episodes” – but I took this to mean “we lost two episodes I had started writing and had to write two replacements”, not we had to drop the total number fbeps from 8 to 6.

International Debris

Ah! That’s probably it then. I honestly thought that meant there was an arc lined up for the series, then it got cut down and wasn’t possible any more. Silly me!

cwickham

Somebody posted a theory on here that the chimp was meant to turn out to be Kochanski, based on the fact that Professor E was a last-minute addition to the script after they found out the restrictions on the actor with the chimp suit, but I think in the original version of Entangled the chimp was just meant to stay a chimp.

I think that was all just supposition though, and Kochanski was only down to be in the scrapped episodes 5 & 6. Remember that the original ending of Entangled, which they couldn’t film because of the restrictions, was meant to be Rimmer and Lister arguing over who was going to look after the chimp, which doesn’t fit with the idea that chimp = Kochanski.

bloodteller

them arguing about who has to look after the chimp sounds like a much funnier end to the episode, it’s a shame it had to be changed

si

>Guest actors that they wanted but couldn’t get?

How about Guest actors that they got but didn’t want? Or Guest actors we didn’t want but that they got anyway? Guest actors that they got but really shouldn’t? Guest actors they could have got but didn’t bother?

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.