Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum I didn't come here looking for trouble / I just came to do the Red Dwarf Shuffle

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

Or, what to expect if/when we get Series XI.

A lot of the press coverage for Red Dwarf X has hinged on “Back to Earth was shit, but this looks like a return to form.” Similarly, a lot of the press coverage for Back to Earth seemed to revolve around “Series VIII was shit, but this looks like it might actually be good.” Press coverage for VIII was more or less the same too, if the back of the Red Dwarf VIII book is to be believed, and I can vaguely recall the fandom reacting badly to the obviously brilliant VI back in the day.

So I’m going to call it here and now: If/when we get Red Dwarf XI, the press – who have been very, very kind and supportive of Red Dwarf X – are going to savage it. They’re going to talk at length about how shit it was, about how disappointing it was, and about how much the fans hated it, but don’t worry because this time it’ll be better.

Which, y’know. Bollocks, really, isn’t it?

HelloMabel
    Participant

Yeah. Funny how they never quote *actual fans* talking *actual shit* about the series in question.

I expect crickets from the stateside press. Again.

Sorry if it seems like I keep droning on about that, but that’s really issue #1 for us.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Can’t really argue with the press on criticising things that weren’t very good and having a optimistic reaction to sneak previews of new stuff.

>if the back of the Red Dwarf VIII book is to be believed, and I can vaguely recall the fandom reacting badly to the obviously brilliant VI back in the day.

No idea what was happenning on the interweb at that time but don’t recall any criticism in BTL from ’94 onwards.

>They’re going to talk at length about how shit it was, about how disappointing it was, and about how much the fans hated it, but don’t worry because this time it’ll be better

Would you prefer that they talk at length about how shit it was and you shouldn’t bother about the new stuff?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

My issue isn’t with them telling people to watch it. my issue is with them doing the same song and dance every time. Red Dwarf X has been very positively reviewed, but I guarantee you if/when we get an 11th series those same people who sang X’s praises after each episode will be banging on about bad it was. It happened after BtE and it’ll happen after X. Mark my words.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Is it the same people or just the same publications/websites? I remember Starburst giving Red Dwarf various reviews in the nineties that were at odds with each other, but they just came about because they were reviewed by different people – rather than an official line.

It’s that way with Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks’ albums too, in general. They pan everything after Pavement and say that he’s just returning to form on whichever album they’re reviewing. I assumed it was that way with everything, I just read a review of a SM&tJ album today is the reason I use that as my example.

Phil
    Participant

It’s also worth noting that reviews are published pretty close to air, and a positive review may well represent the writer’s mindset at the time…but that opinion has the chance to evolve over the years that follow. It’s entirely possible and not at all unlikely that those who enjoyed an episode after a viewing or two found themselves enjoying it less as time went on and they had more time to reflect upon it, meaning in the run-up to the next series they’re going to have a less gushing view of the previous than they did when it was new. Of course, the reverse could happen too…something you didn’t enjoy much up-front appears better to you the more time you spend with it.

After all, I laughed at series VIII, and I’m sure I used the “return to form” line myself. But that doesn’t mean my opinion was locked in for eternity, nor should it mean the same for critics. It changes. It’s okay.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>After all, I laughed at series VIII, and I’m sure I used the “return to form” line myself. But that doesn’t mean my opinion was locked in for eternity,

No, I’m sorry – this will be etched on your gravestone.

ChrisM
    Participant

I do remember BtE getting mixed reviews back then, although I think the overall consensus was good. The same with fans and casual viewers, although with a firmer foot in the good side.

I’m referring to actual viewers of the show here, not peoples reaction to the ad campaign, etc.

Then on seeing viewers comments on Red Dwarf X you’d have thought BtE was pretty much universally derided. Although to be fair, people with something negative to say tend to be more vocal. (If you can count typing on a website as vocal but lets not get too literal here.)

Not so much on this site, mind. Those who liked or disliked it then seem to feel the same now.

Will the same be true of X when XI comes out? I actually have my doubts on this since the positive inclination does seem overall greater than it was for the (still largely positive) response to BtE. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be all that surprised either.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.