Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Jump Leads to pull a Red Dwarf, end on spectacular cliffhanger

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

The last year has been a bit troubled for our ickle webcomicy thing, and recently things went to shit when our artist, JjAR, had to step down as artist. Ironically he’s gotten so much freelance work as a result of doing Jump Leads that he just doesn’t have the time to commit to the comic anymore, and that’s after we brought Kris “Kris Carter” Carter on to act as a colorist in the hopes of easing JjAR’s workload.

The comic’s been sat in limbo for a couple of months, but fortunately my friend Mr. Phillby has stepped in to fill the void and will, at the least, be finishing the current issue.

Unfortunately the current issue was intended to be the first in a five-issue story arc, which means that if Phillby doesn’t have the time to stay on regularly, Jump Leads will be ending leaving literally dozens of people wondering what happens next.

Which isn’t much different from how things were just after JjAR stepped down, really, but never mind, eh?

Ridley
    Participant

“THE END

Wait, what?”

Is any of Mr. Mr. Phillby’s non-Jump Leads art around on the interwebs?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

He has a DeviantArt page that hasn’t been updated in a year or so, but otherwise no.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m considering rebooting the comic as a series of audioplays. The first story would be a remake/reimagining of “Training Day”, but from there we’d tell brand new stories. Thoughts?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I really do think it can work. But as you have pointed out to me in the past, audio is very different to a visual medium.

Have you ever considered releasing it as an enhanced audio comic? Would/Could such a thing work? The images pop onto the screen in time with the spoken audio. I’ve never seen it done, but have thought about it in the past.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

We’ve considered doing that before. In fact we were going to do a motion comic version of Issue #1 for a TV pitch that ended up not happening because ECONOMY GO BOOM.

I’m learning about writing purely for audio, and by “learning” I mean “listening to shows and reading the script at the same time.” I learnt about script-writing by reading Buffy scriptbooks while watching the DVDs, and I’m learning about radio/audio scripts by listening to the first series of The Hitchhiker’s Guide while reading the scriptbook.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Best way. I’ve listened to a lot of home produced audiodrama podcasts and most seem to struggle with keeping my attention. There is a lot of great and elaborate writing which is all lovely I’m sure if I were reading the book. But it all needs to be short and snappy and to the point for audio.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The first story would be an adaptation of the first issue of Jump Leads, and then we’d tell brand new stories after that. I’ve actually already written the script and may well have the bulk of a cast lined up.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I look forward to it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.